PDA

View Full Version : Democrats Now Favored to Win Senate

Cigar
03-09-2016, 12:06 PM
Stuart Rothenberg: “With Donald Trump and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz seemingly positioned to fight it out for the Republican presidential nomination, Democrats are now poised to take over the Senate in November.”

“The two Republicans still in the race who could help their party’s Senate prospects, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Ohio Gov. John Kasich, continue to flounder. While a deadlocked GOP convention in Cleveland could, at least in theory, nominate a candidate with broad appeal and low enough negatives to revive the party’s Senate prospects, that development is both a long way in the future and a long shot.”

“No, there is little hard evidence yet that a huge Democratic electoral wave has started to develop and at this point, Democratic control of the Senate is not yet inevitable. But that should not obscure the fact that a fundamental shift has occurred in the electoral cycle over the past six weeks.”

The Cook Political Report has updated Senate race rankings.

https://politicalwire.com/2016/03/08/democrats-favored-to-win-senate/

Mac-7
03-09-2016, 12:30 PM
According to a liberal inside washington establishment hack.

We'll let the voters decide if Stu doesnt mind.

Safety
03-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Yea, I can see why people are hesitant in predicting results..."Romney will win in a landslide" - Dick Morris

Crepitus
03-09-2016, 12:54 PM
I actually don't think this is all that far fetched. No, it certainly isn't a guarantee, and there is still plenty of time to turn it around, but the GOP isn't doing themselves any favors here lately.

Quicksilver
03-09-2016, 02:02 PM
Of course it isn't far fetched.. Republicans have 24 Senate seats up for re-election compared to the Democratic 10 seats. Many of the Republican seats are from states that Obama won in 2012. I for one, am actively campaigning to elect Tammy Duckworth to oust Mark Kirk in Illinois.. and ya know what.. she's got better than even odds in Blue Illinois. Add this to the fiasco that is the GOP Primary, and the fact that Democrats will turn out in droves in a Presidential election year, and it appears like a pretty reasonable assumption IMO.

Chris
03-09-2016, 02:13 PM
If the Reps takes the presidency then it would be good for the sake of checks and balances for the Dems to take at least the Senate.

PolWatch
03-09-2016, 04:16 PM
2016 should have been the year of the GOP.....they seem to be determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.....

PNW
03-09-2016, 05:36 PM
If the Reps takes the presidency then it would be good for the sake of checks and balances for the Dems to take at least the Senate.
The pukes are not going to take the White House, they can't, they have no one electable.
The evil scary Dems are going to take the Senate and the GOP is handing it to them.
Just do some research on 'down ballot', you might learn something.

Tahuyaman
03-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Imagine that....a Democrat opining that the Democrats will win back the Senate?

Who woulda thunk it.

maineman
03-09-2016, 11:34 PM
coattails are an historical outcome of an election when one party's nominee is abhorrent to the middle of the bell curve.

Tahuyaman
03-09-2016, 11:46 PM
coattails are an historical outcome of an election when one party's nominee is abhorrent to the middle of the bell curve.Is there a historical precedent when the candidates of each party are considered repugnant?

Green Arrow
03-10-2016, 12:56 AM
Hillary vs. Trump may very well result in historically low turnout.

JVV
03-10-2016, 01:19 AM
You mean they weren't already favored to win the senate?

First I heard about that.

zelmo1234
03-10-2016, 03:33 AM
It is interesting in MI, Yes Hillary Carried the Black Vote, but She lost every other category.

Bernie Voters are not going to break 100% for Hillary, We know that Trump has appeal to the working class. White men have a strong dislike for Hillary, and Women are not crazy about her.

MI, a traditionally blue state. (yes I know that the press has been saying that it is an independent state) but you have to go back to Reagan vs Mondale and Dukakis elections where he won nearly every state. to find a time when it did not go for the DNC. But Trump was the big winner in MI. Add to this that the most conservative counties in MI went for Bernie, in the keep hope alive movement, for Bernie.

MI is in play, and that is trouble for the DNC. It will be interesting to see what happens in Ohio. If Bernie wins OH, Hillary is in trouble. MI + OH in the General means the GOP wins the election.

As for the Senate I see the GOP losing 3 seats, and taking one for a net loss of 2 seats.

PNW
03-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Imagine that....a Democrat opining that the Democrats will win back the Senate?

Who woulda thunk it.
Romney in a landslide!

PNW
03-10-2016, 07:16 AM
It is interesting in MI, Yes Hillary Carried the Black Vote, but She lost every other category.

Bernie Voters are not going to break 100% for Hillary, We know that Trump has appeal to the working class. White men have a strong dislike for Hillary, and Women are not crazy about her.

MI, a traditionally blue state. (yes I know that the press has been saying that it is an independent state) but you have to go back to Reagan vs Mondale and Dukakis elections where he won nearly every state. to find a time when it did not go for the DNC. But Trump was the big winner in MI. Add to this that the most conservative counties in MI went for Bernie, in the keep hope alive movement, for Bernie.

MI is in play, and that is trouble for the DNC. It will be interesting to see what happens in Ohio. If Bernie wins OH, Hillary is in trouble. MI + OH in the General means the GOP wins the election.

As for the Senate I see the GOP losing 3 seats, and taking one for a net loss of 2 seats.
Rightwing media, you just have to love it. They make crap up and their minions parrot it like it means something.

Tahuyaman
03-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Rightwing media, you just have to love it. They make crap up and their minions parrot it like it means something.

this guy seems to love satire.