PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania changes Electoral College votes

Juggernaut
09-14-2011, 08:06 PM
GOP are removing an edge to Obama that may vote red. California went to popular vote granting all electoral votes recently. So the games afoot.

According to the 2012 Create your own Electoral College tool, the base 2008 map with the 2012 apportionment starts the President with a 359-179 Electoral College lead. However if we swing five states (Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, and Ohio) and one district (Nebraska 2) that George W. Bush won twice, Barack Obama’s lead is reduced to 272-266.

Enter Pennsylvania. In 2008, Obama won 9 of 19 House districts, plus the statewide vote. If he were to win 9 of Pennsylvania’s 18 districts in 2012 plus the statewide vote, he would earn 11 of the state’s 20 votes, with the remaining 9 going to the Republican.

Subtracting 9 from Obama in the above scenario, and adding 9 to the Republican, changes the result. The Republican now wins 275-263. Republicans would have much less need to hope for a turnaround in states like Nevada or Colorado, or to win a coin flip in swing states like New Mexico, New Hampshire, or Iowa. Five states that went for Bush twice would win the election.

It’s obvious why Pennsylvania Republicans are considering this. It changes the tactical situation of the race, with an 18 point swing toward the Republicans. The Pennsylvania plan is as meaningful as winning Colorado’s 9 electoral votes, and that’s without even changing the mood of the electorate.

http://unlikelyvoter.com/create-your-own-electoral-college/
Create your own Electoral College

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11256/1174283-454.stm
Change proposed for state's electoral vote process

A new proposal is pushing the often-forgotten Electoral College into the spotlight as Pennsylvania officials ponder the state's role in next year's presidential race.

Senate Majority Leader Dominic Pileggi is trying to gather support to change the state's "winner-takes-all" approach for awarding electoral votes. Instead, he's suggesting that Pennsylvania dole them out based on which candidate wins each of the 18 congressional districts, with the final two going to the contender with the most votes statewide.

So far, the idea has received support from colleagues of the Delaware County Republican in the state House and from Republican Gov. Tom Corbett. But Democrats, who have carried the state in presidential contests since 1992, said the shift would erode Pennsylvania's clout.

Only two states -- Nebraska and Maine -- divide their electoral votes instead of giving the whole bloc to the candidate that wins the state's popular vote. Even for those two states, the piecemeal approach has been a rarity, with Nebraska historically dividing its five votes in the 2008 election, when one went to President Barack Obama.

MMC
11-17-2011, 07:17 AM
I brought this back up as it may be relevant for this election. What do you guys think?

Conley
11-17-2011, 08:40 AM
I think it would really be confusing to split up the votes...I see a couple of others do it but none so big as Pennsylvania. I also don't think they are going to get enough people on board with this, and the state isn't red enough (or blue enough) to let anyone change things just to benefit one party. It's a swing state (even though it's been blue lately). I don't know what Juggs is talking about regarding California, I thought the electoral votes all went to one candidate and have for a long long time.

MMC
11-17-2011, 08:55 AM
I think it would really be confusing to split up the votes...I see a couple of others do it but none so big as Pennsylvania. I also don't think they are going to get enough people on board with this, and the state isn't red enough (or blue enough) to let anyone change things just to benefit one party. It's a swing state (even though it's been blue lately). I don't know what Juggs is talking about regarding California, I thought the electoral votes all went to one candidate and have for a long long time.

Yeah I thought the same thing about California. Still with the way the Dems gerrymander districts. I would see Pennsylvania still going Blue.

Conley
11-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah I guess maybe I shouldn't call Pennsylvania a swing state. It always seems in play even though it's gone blue lately.

MMC
11-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Yeah I guess maybe I shouldn't call Pennsylvania a swing state. It always seems in play even though it's gone blue lately.

Other than Pittsburgh.....what Else do they have to offer the country. :D >:D

Conley
11-17-2011, 09:37 AM

Yeah, Pittsburgh seems cool. Philly seems like a pit. :D I'm sure Cap'n will chime in here. >:D

MMC
11-17-2011, 10:00 AM

Yeah, Pittsburgh seems cool. Philly seems like a pit. :D I'm sure Cap'n will chime in here. >:D

Oh, I know..... ;)

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1334364473907&id=40a8ebaa35c2f478844844b80b6a8df6&url=http%3a%2f%2fi.cdn.turner.com%2fsivault%2fmult imedia%2fphoto_gallery%2f0910%2fpop.culture.hot.li st.1013%2fimages%2fmichael-vick.jpg

Your favorite man of the Hour and Leader of the NFL Dream-Team! http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/smiley_ROFLMAO.gif

Conley
11-17-2011, 10:02 AM
:D

Yeah, even besides that POS, Philly has those flash mobs running around beating the schniz out of random bystanders. F that!

MMC
11-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Yeah, even besides that POS, Philly has those flash mobs running around beating the schniz out of random bystanders. F that!

I heard he wouldnt practice this week and they don't know whats up with him. Looks like he is moping that he is not on a team that is a Contender. At least to me that is. Prolly want to be traded.

Conley
11-17-2011, 10:19 AM

I heard he wouldnt practice this week and they don't know whats up with him. Looks like he is moping that he is not on a team that is a Contender. At least to me that is. Prolly want to be traded.

He's got multiple broken ribs last I heard?

MMC
11-17-2011, 10:43 AM

Ah.....thanks I didnt hear anything else. Looks like he will mope out the rest of the season then. Nurse those injuries.

Conley
11-17-2011, 10:47 AM

Ah.....thanks I didnt hear anything else. Looks like he will mope out the rest of the season then. Nurse those injuries.

If they get in the playoffs I think they could make some noise but if not then forgettaboutit.