PDA

View Full Version : "Of Course We Would Consider SCOTUS Nom if Obama were Republican"

Cigar
03-10-2016, 12:43 PM
During a Thursday morning radio interview, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) candidly explained that Senate Republicans would take a different approach to a Supreme Court nominee if a Republican president were in office and replacing a conservative justice.

Johnson was asked on Wisconsin radio show "Morning Mess" about Senate Republicans' refusal to consider President Obama's forthcoming nomination to the Supreme Court. The host hypothesized that things would be different if Mitt Romney were in the White House.

"It’s a different situation," Johnson said. "Generally, and this is the way it works out politically, if you’re replacing — if a conservative president’s replacing a conservative justice, there’s a little more accommodation to it."

"But when you’re talking about a conservative justice now being replaced by a liberal president who would literally flip the court — you know, let’s face it, I don’t think anybody’s under any illusion — President Obama’s nominee would flip the court from a 5-4 conservative to a 5-4 liberal controlled court," the senator continued. "And that’s the concern, is that our Second Amendment rights to keep and bear arms, our First Amendment rights to free speech and religious liberty, will be threatened. And so it’s an incredibly serious moment in terms of what’s the composition of the court going to be."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ron-johnson-republicans-scotus

Peter1469
03-10-2016, 01:00 PM
The Senate won't consider hard left loons.

End of story.

Cigar
03-10-2016, 01:01 PM
The Senate won't consider hard left loons.

End of story.

Good because as of today, none have been submitted.

Peter1469
03-10-2016, 01:25 PM
I started a thread with Obama's short list. No hard left loons.

Good.

hanger4
03-10-2016, 01:32 PM
During a Thursday morning radio interview, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) candidly explained that Senate Republicans would take a different approach to a Supreme Court nominee if a Republican president were in office and replacing a conservative justice.

Johnson was asked on Wisconsin radio show "Morning Mess" about Senate Republicans' refusal to consider President Obama's forthcoming nomination to the Supreme Court. The host hypothesized that things would be different if Mitt Romney were in the White House.

"It’s a different situation," Johnson said. "Generally, and this is the way it works out politically, if you’re replacing — if a conservative president’s replacing a conservative justice, there’s a little more accommodation to it."

"But when you’re talking about a conservative justice now being replaced by a liberal president who would literally flip the court — you know, let’s face it, I don’t think anybody’s under any illusion — President Obama’s nominee would flip the court from a 5-4 conservative to a 5-4 liberal controlled court," the senator continued. "And that’s the concern, is that our Second Amendment rights to keep and bear arms, our First Amendment rights to free speech and religious liberty, will be threatened. And so it’s an incredibly serious moment in terms of what’s the composition of the court going to be."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ron-johnson-republicans-scotus
Does TPM think so little of their readership they need to post the obvious ??

Of course Repubs would consider nominees from a Repub President.

DUUUH

gimpy
03-10-2016, 03:02 PM
> During a Thursday morning radio interview, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) candidly explained that Senate Republicans would take a different approach to a Supreme Court nominee if a Republican president were in office and replacing a conservative justice.

In any other context, any employee that refused to do their job would and should be fired.

In this case, it is a constitutional duty. Perhaps firing isn't sufficient. Perhaps we need to leave this issue up to the voters. If the majority feels that obstructing the government for about 7 years is okay and proper, one party will certainly win. On the other hand, if the majority are tired of this kind of childish bully games, then perhaps the other party will win. On a third hand (if I had one) if the real majority finds what both parties have done to them to be patently wrong, perhaps we'll see a third choice. The choice of the 99%. It ain't over until it's over.

Perhaps in the end, both parties will figure out that if they represent the party and not the people, we will find a way to stop both of them.

birddog
03-10-2016, 03:15 PM
All lefties are loons, I hope none of Obama's nominees get considered.

Tahuyaman
03-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Of Course We Would Consider SCOTUS Nom if Obama were Republican"
Uh............ Duh. Next brilliant observation....

Tahuyaman
03-10-2016, 03:17 PM
Good because as of today, none have been submitted.

but yet you left wingers still complain about the Republicans refusing to hold hearings on a nomination which hasn't happened.

Cigar
03-10-2016, 03:20 PM
but yet you left wingers still complain about the Republicans refusing to hold hearings on a nomination which hasn't happened.

Sorry, but if you don't like what The GOP is saying, maybe you should talk to them.

hanger4
03-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Sorry, but if you don't like what The GOP is saying, maybe you should talk to them.

Woooooosh

hanger4
03-10-2016, 04:02 PM
> During a Thursday morning radio interview, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) candidly explained that Senate Republicans would take a different approach to a Supreme Court nominee if a Republican president were in office and replacing a conservative justice.

In any other context, any employee that refused to do their job would and should be fired.

In this case, it is a constitutional duty. Perhaps firing isn't sufficient. Perhaps we need to leave this issue up to the voters. If the majority feels that obstructing the government for about 7 years is okay and proper, one party will certainly win. On the other hand, if the majority are tired of this kind of childish bully games, then perhaps the other party will win. On a third hand (if I had one) if the real majority finds what both parties have done to them to be patently wrong, perhaps we'll see a third choice. The choice of the 99%. It ain't over until it's over.

Perhaps in the end, both parties will figure out that if they represent the party and not the people, we will find a way to stop both of them.

Advise and consent is their constitutional duty. Nothing more nothing less.

Tahuyaman
03-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Tell me when Obama nominates someone and the Republicans follow through with their threat.

PNW
03-10-2016, 08:46 PM
No, the only thing anyone is complaining about is the rights refusal to hold hearings on a nomination that hasn't even happened yet!
You DO see the difference don't you?

Tahuyaman
03-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Again, wake me up when you have something to complain about.

zelmo1234
03-10-2016, 11:16 PM
I wonder why President Obama has not sought the advice of the Senate Judiciary committee?

I am betting in a short time that they could give him a list of Justices that they would find completely acceptable and Obama could have his justice?

Tahuyaman
03-11-2016, 12:05 AM
Liberals figure out a way to complain even when there's nothing to complain about. They complain that they might have something to complain about in the future. Cronic complainers.

That's inspiring.