PDA

View Full Version : tPF Two Democrats, Two Myths

Chris
03-10-2016, 05:18 PM
The myths is that they can actually do what they promise.

Two Democrats, Two Myths (http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-03-09/the-candidacies-of-clinton-and-sanders-are-built-on-myths)

Almost all presidential candidacies are built on myth-making as much as they are on speechifying, fundraising, polling and turning out voters. And the 2016 finalists -- Democrats and Republicans -- are peddling some powerful myths.

By that I don't just mean the tax plans that vow to cut everyone's taxes without increasing the deficit. Or the pledges to triple the rate of economic growth while offering universal health care and free college tuition. Most voters (one hopes) can see through such phantasmagoric promises.

Hillary Clinton's promise to equalize men's and women's wages is a noble goal. Gender inequality is a major campaign theme of hers, naturally enough.

...Bernie Sanders's big myth is his claim that the U.S. could have avoided a bailout of Wall Street banks in 2008-2009....

Coming up, I'll describe four myths from the four Republican candidates.

I kind of disagree, the banks and corporations bailed should've been allowed to fail.

But what are are four Republican myths?

Green Arrow
03-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Bernie Sanders has never claimed he could do what he promises. He has always maintained that what he wants to accomplish can only be accomplished by a political revolution, which is true.

Cigar
03-10-2016, 05:41 PM

Two Democrats, Two Myths (http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-03-09/the-candidacies-of-clinton-and-sanders-are-built-on-myths)

I kind of disagree, the banks and corporations bailed should've been allowed to fail.

So 10 years from now, will YOU see a Boarder Wall or 13 Million Mexicans Deported or The IRS Abolished or Obamacare Repealed and replaced?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Chris
03-10-2016, 05:46 PM
So 10 years from now, will YOU see a Boarder Wall or 13 Million Mexicans Deported or The IRS Abolished or Obamacare Repealed and replaced?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Trump's myths.

Cigar
03-10-2016, 05:47 PM
Trump's myths.

Abolishing The IRS isn't a Trump Myth

Chris
03-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Abolishing The IRS isn't a Trump Myth

There's a candidate mythologizing that?

Cigar
03-10-2016, 06:06 PM

Do you believe the IRS will EVER get Abolished?

Safety
03-10-2016, 06:19 PM

Ted Cruz

"Number two," Cruz continued, "abolish the IRS; take all 125,000 IRS agents, and put them on our southern border."

Chris
03-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Ted Cruz

Ah, OK--shows how much I bother to listen to him.

Chris
03-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Do you believe the IRS will EVER get Abolished?

I believe it ought to be. Fair Tax.

Green Arrow
03-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Ted Cruz

Your new avatar...I like it. Less for the gun.

Chris
03-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Your new avatar...I like it. Less for the gun.

It looks like a woman ironing. :D

PNW
03-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Trump's myths.
Conservative myths.

PNW
03-10-2016, 08:30 PM

"...Bernie Sanders's big myth is his claim that the U.S. could have avoided a bailout of Wall Street banks in 2008-2009...."

Bernie is correct, we could have avoided by not repealing Glass-steagle in the first place.
The right love affair with de-regulation has caused more problems and redistributed more wealth than anything the evil scary Democrats have ever done.
Glass-steagle was the worst of the worst.

PNW
03-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Good god, your a flat taxer?
Man that explains a LOT!

hanger4
03-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Man that explains a LOT!

Two different kinds of taxing PNW

PNW
03-10-2016, 08:35 PM
Two different kinds of taxing PNW
Are we there yet?

hanger4
03-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Are we there yet?

It's apparent you're not if you don't know the difference between the Flat Tax and the Fair Tax.

hanger4
03-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Man that explains a LOT!

What's truly sad is you condem something you know nothing about.

Chris
03-10-2016, 09:10 PM

Man that explains a LOT!

^^That explains a lot.

hanger4
03-10-2016, 09:24 PM
"...Bernie Sanders's big myth is his claim that the U.S. could have avoided a bailout of Wall Street banks in 2008-2009...."

Bernie is correct, we could have avoided by not repealing Glass-steagle in the first place.
The right love affair with de-regulation has caused more problems and redistributed more wealth than anything the evil scary Democrats have ever done.

You do realize Bill Clinton signed the law that repealed Glass-Steagle right ??

Chris
03-10-2016, 09:28 PM

The Political Implications of Ignoring Our Own Ignorance (http://www.aei.org/publication/the-political-implications-of-ignoring-our-own-ignorance/)

...A common post-crisis narrative is that banking was de-regulated in the Reagan-Greenspan era. Some pundits make it sound as if regulators behaved like parents who hand their teenagers the keys to the liquor cabinet, leave for the weekend, and say “Have a good time.” In fact, regulators believed that they had stronger regulations in place in 2005 than they did in the pre-Reagan era.

—Before 1980, mortgage loans held by banks were illiquid assets subject to considerable interest-rate risk. These problems were alleviated by the shift toward securitization.

—Before 1980, insolvent institutions were opaque because of book-value accounting. This problem was addressed with market-value accounting, enabling regulators to take more timely corrective action to address troubled institutions.

—Before 1980, banks had no formal capital requirements and there were no mechanisms in place to steer banks away from risky assets. This problem was addressed with the Basel capital accords (formally adopted in 1988), which incorporated a risk-weighted measure of assets to determine required minimum capital. In the 2000s, these risk weightings were altered to penalize banks that did not invest in highly rated, asset-backed securities.

Thus, it was not the intent of regulators to loosen the reins on banks. On the contrary, from the regulators’ point of view, it was the environment prior to 1980 that amounted to leaving the teenagers with the keys to the liquor cabinet. The post-1980 regulatory changes were believed to be in the direction of tighter supervision and more rational controls....