PDA

View Full Version : tPF Heads up on Micro$oft updates

OGIS
03-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Wednesday night my hard drive started processing Microsoft's weekly 17-download attempt to force me into converting from Windows 7 to 10.

Thursday morning, my Firefox application - indeed, my whole laptop - kept freezing up, multiple times.

Also that morning, I read an article about yet another major exploitable bug found in Adobe Flash Player.

I'm not sure why, but I decided to check whether my PC was "infected" with Flash. This was, I guess, irrational, since I clearly remember uninstalling it months ago. But lo and behold, there it was. I uninstalled it, and all the hangup and freezing problems disappeared.

So is Microsoft now doing me "favors" by reinstalling Adobe Flash?

How do I stop this chit?

Chris
03-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Just say no.

How permanently stop it, don't know. I have a notebook that happens on and I'd love to upgrade, but it fails. So I just say no, don't do that.

Chris
03-11-2016, 11:50 AM
This looks good: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-remove-get-windows-10-app-pc. Note, I haven't tried it.

OGIS
03-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Just say no.

How permanently stop it, don't know. I have a notebook that happens on and I'd love to upgrade, but it fails. So I just say no, don't do that.

I'm expecting Micro$oft to install ransom-ware any day now. "Click yes to Install the new version of Windows or, for the greater good, we will have to lock your computer."

Chris
03-11-2016, 12:06 PM
I'm expecting Micro$oft to install ransom-ware any day now. "Click yes to Install the new version of Windows or, for the greater good, we will have to lock your computer."

Sounds to me like something the government would do. M$ has no such power.

OGIS
03-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Sounds to me like something the government would do. M$ has no such power.

Sigh. That was humor, Chris. It was not meant to be taken literally. It's called hyperbole, to make a point.

You are displaying the classical Tool symptom (displayed on both left and right) of HDS. That's "Humor Deficit Syndrome." The cure is to stop the either/or straightjacket thinking. The world is analog, not digital.

Chris
03-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Sigh. That was humor, Chris. It was not meant to be taken literally. It's called hyperbole, to make a point.

You are displaying the classical Tool symptom (displayed on both left and right) of HDS. That's "Humor Deficit Syndrome." The cure is to stop the either/or straightjacket thinking. The world is analog, not digital.

You don't do humor as well as you think you do.

TrueBlue
03-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Wednesday night my hard drive started processing Microsoft's weekly 17-download attempt to force me into converting from Windows 7 to 10.

Thursday morning, my Firefox application - indeed, my whole laptop - kept freezing up, multiple times.

Also that morning, I read an article about yet another major exploitable bug found in Adobe Flash Player.

I'm not sure why, but I decided to check whether my PC was "infected" with Flash. This was, I guess, irrational, since I clearly remember uninstalling it months ago. But lo and behold, there it was. I uninstalled it, and all the hangup and freezing problems disappeared.

So is Microsoft now doing me "favors" by reinstalling Adobe Flash?

How do I stop this chit?
There is some information on COMPUTER TALK (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/35587-Computer-Talk?p=1476673&viewfull=1#post1476673) about the Windows 10 update now included with today's definitions.

There is also a MS download with regard to Adobe Flash. It is:
Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3144756)

Download size: 19.9 MB

"A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system."

"More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3144756"

"Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com"

For those who don't want Windows 10, it may be wise to download the Adobe Flash update separately making sure it is not bundled with the Windows 10 download.

IMPress Polly
03-12-2016, 08:55 AM
OGIS wrote:

I don't know anything about the rest of your post, but when it comes to "upgrading" to Windows 10, you are the fourth person I know (including myself) to have experienced significant computer problems, including inexplicable freezes, after making the conversion. Knowing basically nothing about how computer software works (it's all I can do just to install video games), I don't know what to tell you except that I suspect Windows 10 might itself be the problem. Either that or one should buy a computer with it pre-installed because maybe it's the conversion process that causes problems somehow. Wish I could be of more help, but just wanted to add my voice so that it's clear that you're not alone in experiencing this.

TrueBlue
03-12-2016, 11:46 AM
I don't know anything about the rest of your post, but when it comes to "upgrading" to Windows 10, you are the fourth person I know (including myself) to have experienced significant computer problems, including inexplicable freezes, after making the conversion. Knowing basically nothing about how computer software works (it's all I can do just to install video games), I don't know what to tell you except that I suspect Windows 10 might itself be the problem. Either that or one should buy a computer with it pre-installed because maybe it's the conversion process that causes problems somehow. Wish I could be of more help, but just wanted to add my voice so that it's clear that you're not alone in experiencing this.
There are many users who are experiencing problems with Windows 10. I am going to place some information on that shortly on Computer Talk.

Chris
03-12-2016, 11:54 AM
There were many who had problem with Windows 7, XP....

TrueBlue
03-12-2016, 01:44 PM
There were many who had problem with Windows 7, XP....
That's correct. There are two new postings on TPF that you and others may want to read about on COMPUTER TALK (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/35587-Computer-Talk?p=1477821&viewfull=1#post1477821).

Chris
03-12-2016, 03:56 PM
That's correct. There are two new postings on TPF that you and others may want to read about on COMPUTER TALK (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/35587-Computer-Talk?p=1477821&viewfull=1#post1477821).

I don't have problems. My work computer has been on 10 with no issues since it was released. My notebook I'll try again some day. My other computers are too small and slow for it--one, all it does is run security camera software, the other is used only for facebook by son, so I won't upgrade.

Ethereal
03-19-2016, 07:17 PM

That's when you should just uninstall Microsoft OS and install a Linux-based OS. Just use Microsoft virtualization and cloud services for any Microsoft applications and files you need to use.

Ethereal
03-19-2016, 07:20 PM
I have refused to "upgrade" my home computer to Windows 10. I see no reason to do it. All risk and no reward. I'm sick of Microsoft pushing these iterations on users in order to bolster their proprietary trash.

Peter1469
03-19-2016, 07:48 PM
I finally upgraded my netbook and computer. Windows 10 is much like 7 and runs fine for me. I have not tried my scanner- I am worried about that.