PDA

View Full Version : So much for America's supposed interest in character

donttread
03-11-2016, 07:58 PM
I believe that one of the things the 2016 presidential race seems to be proving is that despite lip service to the contrary neither the two major parties nor the America voters care about character.
We had and still have candidates who have exhibited integrity and character during their careers, especially by the low bar standards of Washington. Candidates like Rand Paul , Bernie Sanders , Jill Stein and Gary Johnson. The average American voter likely doesn't even know who the latter two are. Their politics may not appeal to some but they are by and large unbought and still stand for what they always have stood for whether it is or was popular or not.
All the stuff the people claim to want in a politician yet they reject them and their character almost out of hand. The closest the two front runners ever got to HAVING character is that Trump IS a character and Hilary is married to one.

donttread
03-12-2016, 03:49 AM
I thought this thread would elicit some discussion. Could it be that we have been conditioned to not look at, expect or even consider character in our political process?

Peter1469
03-12-2016, 04:13 AM
The Establishment controls the elections and gives us two choices with no real substantive differences. The funny thing is that most don't realize this.

FindersKeepers
03-12-2016, 06:42 AM
I thought this thread would elicit some discussion. Could it be that we have been conditioned to not look at, expect or even consider character in our political process?

Well, okay...let's think of WHY so many people are supporting these two candidates? While there are outliers (big ones, like Sanders' fans), supporters tend to fall into two basic categories -- those who would still like to have Obama (Hillary supporters) and those who want the opposite of what Obama brought (Trump supporters).

This campaign is not so much about voting for presidential character as it is a war between two thought systems. The candidates, themselves, are almost irrelevant.

PolWatch
03-12-2016, 07:30 AM
IMO: the candidates & the election will have the same effect on the nation as the President: none. The President is a figurehead and the elections are shams to make voters think THEY can influence anything. We have the best government money can buy.....don't ya wish you had enough money to buy some?

FindersKeepers
03-12-2016, 07:36 AM
IMO: the candidates & the election will have the same effect on the nation as the President: none. The President is a figurehead and the elections are shams to make voters think THEY can influence anything. We have the best government money can buy.....don't ya wish you had enough money to buy some?

You make a very good point.

Peter1469
03-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Well, okay...let's think of WHY so many people are supporting these two candidates? While there are outliers (big ones, like Sanders' fans), supporters tend to fall into two basic categories -- those who would still like to have Obama (Hillary supporters) and those who want the opposite of what Obama brought (Trump supporters).

This campaign is not so much about voting for presidential character as it is a war between two thought systems. The candidates, themselves, are almost irrelevant.

People are anti-Establishment this election cycle.

Good.

donttread
03-12-2016, 12:28 PM

A more accurate way to put it would be "the illusion of two thought systems" as the real world evidence strongly suggest their actions are very similar.

The Xl
03-12-2016, 12:30 PM
The Establishment controls the elections and gives us two choices with no real substantive differences. The funny thing is that most don't realize this.

This. It's the reason why Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders are the only two candidates worth anything this election. And not surprisingly, the establishment has attempted to tear them down.

FindersKeepers
03-12-2016, 01:10 PM
A more accurate way to put it would be "the illusion of two thought systems" as the real world evidence strongly suggest their actions are very similar.

I don't really think the two groups are all that close in ideology.

PolWatch
03-12-2016, 01:17 PM
I don't really think the two groups are all that close in ideology.

Their campaign rhetoric sounds like they think differently (and they might). Its in the execution of their promises that we don't see much difference. I can't think of 2 candidates with more opposite campaign promises or party platforms than GWB & BHO.....but we are entering year 16 of the Bush/Obama administration without much difference. Middle East, Patriot Act, Wall Street....how much difference do you see now from 10 years ago?

FindersKeepers
03-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Their campaign rhetoric sounds like they think differently (and they might). Its in the execution of their promises that we don't see much difference. I can't think of 2 candidates with more opposite campaign promises or party platforms than GWB & BHO.....but we are entering year 16 of the Bush/Obama administration without much difference. Middle East, Patriot Act, Wall Street....how much difference do you see now from 10 years ago?

And that really is the crux of the matter.

I completely agree with your assessment. But, it's also a saving grace in a sense. No single President can get us too far off course.

donttread
03-12-2016, 03:26 PM

Perfectly stated

donttread
03-13-2016, 08:23 AM
This. It's the reason why Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders are the only two candidates worth anything this election. And not surprisingly, the establishment has attempted to tear them down.

Look even deeper and I think you'll find that Trump's is a Trojan Horse who served to draw the attention away from the true non mainstream candidates like Paul, Sanders and Jill Stein