PDA

View Full Version : No Free Tampons, No Peace

Standing Wolf
03-14-2016, 01:02 PM
University of Arizona Minority Students Demand Free Tampons, Condoms, and More

Free tampons, menstrual pads, and condoms in university restrooms — and free testing for sexually transmitted diseases.

Faculty race quotas in place by 2020.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, in new funding for building renovations, access to free computers, paid tutors, reduced-price or free healthy food, and new places to practice spirituality or religion.

These are just some of the demands by representatives of the University of Arizona's minority-student organizations in a lengthy letter sent this week to university officials.

Calling themselves the Marginalized Students of the University of Arizona (MSUA), they represent various campus cultural centers including: the Adalberto & Ana Guerrero Center, African American Student Affairs, Asian Pacific Student Affairs, LGBTQ Resource Center, Native American Student Affairs, and the Women's Resource Center.

The U of A "has failed to appropriately acknowledge and address the lived experiences of marginalized groups on our campus," reads the letter's preamble. "It is important to note that these are Demands, not simply requests or suggestions. These represent thoughtful, meaningful reforms that are necessary in order to affirm the expectation of safety and real-life equity."

The letter listed these specific demands:

* A "Cultural Competency Curriculum across campus," reaching dorm staff and residents, Daily Wildcat employees, Greek Life members, and all "students, administrators, staff and faculty."

* Increase in "staff of color" across all university employees to 15 percent by 2020.

* "Implementation of trigger warnings within course materials and contents." — Trigger warnings were defined in an article last year in The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/) as "alerts that professors are expected to issue if something in a course might cause a strong emotional response."

* The creation and maintenance of "safe space within the classroom." — Adodo, while making clear she isn't speaking directly for the group, tells New Times that a professor who perpetuates the idea that "it's okay to racially profile" might be prohibited from doing so in a "safe space."

* An "emergency fund" of $35,000 put into the accounts of each campus cultural center.

* More scholarships for marginalized students.

* A minimum of $500,000 allocated to "diversity initiatives."

* Increased funding overall for the cultural centers, with paid tutors made available and access to computer equipment in each center.

* Boosted financial support for "students with food insecurity," along with increased options for healthy food on campus.

* More "counselors of color" and full-time counselors for sexual-assault victims.

* Establishment of an Oasis Center-type advocacy program (https://www.oasiscenter.org/#home) for the LGBTQ community.

* Free tampons, menstrual pads, and condoms in all campus restrooms, plus distribution through Campus Health of "dental dams, external, and internal condoms, and pre-exposure pills (https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/reduce-your-risk/pre-exposure-prophylaxis/) to ward off HIV.

* Unisex restrooms within dorms and campus buildings by 2020.

* "Creation of religious spaces for traditional events and ceremonies" for various "student demographics," and "spaces dedicated to and for native students to practice spirituality."

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/university-of-arizona-minority-students-demand-free-tampons-condoms-and-more-8129306

I can't help thinking that the - admittedly, few - fair and legitimate requests on this list are somewhat undercut by (1) calling them "demands", and (2) including in with them such things as free condoms and feminine hygiene products, a half-a-million dollars for "diversity initiatives" (not too vague), warnings from professors if something in a lesson might create a "strong emotional response" (personally, I think a college education that doesn't provide at least a couple of those a day is pretty useless), a bubble in classrooms in which divergent views would not be allowed to intrude on a student's delicate psyche, and unisex bathrooms.

http://images1.phoenixnewtimes.com/imager/u/blog/8130399/lucid-hurricane-tweet-ben-garrison-cartoon.jpg

Cigar
03-14-2016, 01:03 PM
... I don't want to think of the alternative :tongue:

Chris
03-14-2016, 01:12 PM
Spoiled brats, why'd we raise them like that?

Another one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmji36q8E4o

Adelaide
03-14-2016, 01:26 PM
I believe Ontario recently removed sales tax from tampons and such.

It's not like women can help it. I just don't think they should be free and really they aren't very expensive.

Standing Wolf
03-14-2016, 01:26 PM

Proud to say my three grads actually spent their time at college studying, learning and working. One son is about to graduate medical school and receive a commission in the Army Medical Corps, the other son is on the staff of a member of Congress, and my daughter does supervisor training for a London-based company that brokers energy packages, and no I haven't the slightest idea what that last one even means - but apparently it's a good job, too.

Chris
03-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Proud to say my three grads actually spent their time at college studying, learning and working. One son is about to graduate medical school and receive a commission in the Army Medical Corps, the other son is on the staff of a member of Congress, and my daughter does supervisor training for a London-based company that brokers energy packages, and no I haven't the slightest idea what that last one even means - but apparently it's a good job, too.

Congrats!

The Xl
03-14-2016, 01:33 PM
I remember when I was 18 and broke and wanted to sleep with my girl. I bought condoms with what little money I had. It's called personal responsibility. The demands of theirs are embarrassing.

AZ Jim
03-14-2016, 01:50 PM
Idealism is a good thing but only after it's tempered by reality.

Standing Wolf
03-14-2016, 02:15 PM
It seems quite obvious that a great number of today's college students - overall a minority, perhaps, but a very vocal one - have no idea what kind of a world they are, at least in theory, preparing to enter. Assuming that they will at some point in the future be employed outside of academia, do they believe that their bosses will be placing them in protective bubbles where they will never be confronted with ideas that might offend them, providing them with free healthy food, hygiene products and birth control devices, offering unisex bathrooms, and ensuring that they are always surrounded by people who look and think like they do?

I'd agree that the blame for such naïve, self-indulgent behavior must, in large part, be placed on the parents. It is the parents who go nuts if their little darlings are forced, in high school, to read a classic American novel that has the "N" word in it, and the parents who take their kids' side of every dispute with school authorities.

Safety
03-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Out of all of those demands, they will probably be successful in obtaining one of them. It's called a negotiation, you demand a lot and settle for whatever you get.

Tahuyaman
03-14-2016, 02:24 PM

Another one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmji36q8E4o

Too painful to watch the entire thing.

sachem
03-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Yeah, this idea has me puzzled.

HoneyBadger
03-14-2016, 02:30 PM
I believe Ontario recently removed sales tax from tampons and such.

It's not like women can help it. I just don't think they should be free and really they aren't very expensive.

They're part of normal hygiene, like soap, shampoo, deodorant (unless you're a hippie). Women aren't being punished by having to purchase them and they shouldn't be free or subsidized.

Life ain't fair. Boo-Hoo.

FindersKeepers
03-14-2016, 03:30 PM

We told them to think for themselves. They just weren't ready.

FindersKeepers
03-14-2016, 03:31 PM
They're part of normal hygiene, like soap, shampoo, deodorant (unless you're a hippie). Women aren't being punished by having to purchase them and they shouldn't be free or subsidized.

I don't think it'd be too much trouble for the college to put out bins to collect newspapers and then put the stacks in the women's restrooms. That'd do in a pinch -- and -- aren't kids today all about recycling?

Cigar
03-14-2016, 03:34 PM
I remember when I was 18 and broke and wanted to sleep with my girl. I bought condoms with what little money I had. It's called personal responsibility. The demands of theirs are embarrassing.

... and she said get away ... I'm on the rag? :tongue:

Mini Me
03-14-2016, 10:25 PM
I don't think it'd be too much trouble for the college to put out bins to collect newspapers and then put the stacks in the women's restrooms. That'd do in a pinch -- and -- aren't kids today all about recycling?

They should reuse the tampons, and newspapers make good TP! LOL!

donttread
03-15-2016, 03:36 AM
University of Arizona Minority Students Demand Free Tampons, Condoms, and More

Free tampons, menstrual pads, and condoms in university restrooms — and free testing for sexually transmitted diseases.

Faculty race quotas in place by 2020.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, in new funding for building renovations, access to free computers, paid tutors, reduced-price or free healthy food, and new places to practice spirituality or religion.

These are just some of the demands by representatives of the University of Arizona's minority-student organizations in a lengthy letter sent this week to university officials.

Calling themselves the Marginalized Students of the University of Arizona (MSUA), they represent various campus cultural centers including: the Adalberto & Ana Guerrero Center, African American Student Affairs, Asian Pacific Student Affairs, LGBTQ Resource Center, Native American Student Affairs, and the Women's Resource Center.

The U of A "has failed to appropriately acknowledge and address the lived experiences of marginalized groups on our campus," reads the letter's preamble. "It is important to note that these are Demands, not simply requests or suggestions. These represent thoughtful, meaningful reforms that are necessary in order to affirm the expectation of safety and real-life equity."

The letter listed these specific demands:

* A "Cultural Competency Curriculum across campus," reaching dorm staff and residents, Daily Wildcat employees, Greek Life members, and all "students, administrators, staff and faculty."

* Increase in "staff of color" across all university employees to 15 percent by 2020.

* "Implementation of trigger warnings within course materials and contents." — Trigger warnings were defined in an article last year in The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/) as "alerts that professors are expected to issue if something in a course might cause a strong emotional response."

* The creation and maintenance of "safe space within the classroom." — Adodo, while making clear she isn't speaking directly for the group, tells New Times that a professor who perpetuates the idea that "it's okay to racially profile" might be prohibited from doing so in a "safe space."

* An "emergency fund" of $35,000 put into the accounts of each campus cultural center.

* More scholarships for marginalized students.

* A minimum of $500,000 allocated to "diversity initiatives."

* Increased funding overall for the cultural centers, with paid tutors made available and access to computer equipment in each center.

* Boosted financial support for "students with food insecurity," along with increased options for healthy food on campus.

* More "counselors of color" and full-time counselors for sexual-assault victims.

* Establishment of an Oasis Center-type advocacy program (https://www.oasiscenter.org/#home) for the LGBTQ community.

* Free tampons, menstrual pads, and condoms in all campus restrooms, plus distribution through Campus Health of "dental dams, external, and internal condoms, and pre-exposure pills (https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/reduce-your-risk/pre-exposure-prophylaxis/) to ward off HIV.

* Unisex restrooms within dorms and campus buildings by 2020.

* "Creation of religious spaces for traditional events and ceremonies" for various "student demographics," and "spaces dedicated to and for native students to practice spirituality."

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/university-of-arizona-minority-students-demand-free-tampons-condoms-and-more-8129306

I can't help thinking that the - admittedly, few - fair and legitimate requests on this list are somewhat undercut by (1) calling them "demands", and (2) including in with them such things as free condoms and feminine hygiene products, a half-a-million dollars for "diversity initiatives" (not too vague), warnings from professors if something in a lesson might create a "strong emotional response" (personally, I think a college education that doesn't provide at least a couple of those a day is pretty useless), a bubble in classrooms in which divergent views would not be allowed to intrude on a student's delicate psyche, and unisex bathrooms.

http://images1.phoenixnewtimes.com/imager/u/blog/8130399/lucid-hurricane-tweet-ben-garrison-cartoon.jpg

If you afford a damned condom you're not mature enough to have sex. Good grief

Adelaide
03-15-2016, 08:49 AM

I don't disagree, but I see where they are coming from.