PDA

View Full Version : Corporal punishment VS imprisonment

Crepitus
03-14-2016, 11:14 PM
Some friends and I were discussing this over lunch the other day, I think it's not such a bad idea. The prisons are overcrowded, over budget, and not really accomplishing much in the way of rehabilitation anyway so why not? Isn't it possible that a painful and humiliating public flogging would be a better deterrent? Teach a better lesson?

I'm not saying we go in for permanent physical disfigurement ala Saudi Arabia and we could have medics standing by for immediate treatment of any unforeseen difficulties. Hell we could probably turn it into a money making enterprise by selling the right to Fox.

Not a tPF thread so Fire At Will!

sachem
03-15-2016, 03:02 AM
I honestly believe violence breeds violence. I think a society condoning/using violence invites more violence.

And it is an excuse for not cleaning up our prison/sentencing system.

donttread
03-15-2016, 03:53 AM
Some friends and I were discussing this over lunch the other day, I think it's not such a bad idea. The prisons are overcrowded, over budget, and not really accomplishing much in the way of rehabilitation anyway so why not? Isn't it possible that a painful and humiliating public flogging would be a better deterrent? Teach a better lesson?

I'm not saying we go in for permanent physical disfigurement ala Saudi Arabia and we could have medics standing by for immediate treatment of any unforeseen difficulties. Hell we could probably turn it into a money making enterprise by selling the right to Fox.

Not a tPF thread so Fire At Will!

The 15th century called. They want their ideas back

Peter1469
03-15-2016, 04:28 AM
I don't really think it works. You may force compliance but you will bred resentment towards the authorities. Not that over use of the prison is better.

Many people just need life skills that their home life never taught them.

Safety
03-15-2016, 05:55 AM
I honestly believe violence breeds violence. I think a society condoning/using violence invites more violence.

I don't know, my parents didn't spoil the rod (peach tree switch), so it may be depending on the situation. I think part of the reason our society is so disrespectful today is due to not getting their attention when they were a child, however you get that attention is up to the parents. Some kids will listen by talking to them, some kids will listen by yelling at them, and some kids will listen after their butt is spanked. You have to know your child.

nathanbforrest45
03-15-2016, 09:03 AM
The State of Tennessee has begun a program of not incarcerating people solely for drug crimes or minor offenses but putting them in a rehab program and training programs. If they stick with the program they will have their records expunged, if they do not they go to jail.

To me this is an excellent idea and one that should be expanded. Putting someone in prison for a drug related offense does absolutely nothing except to get that person off the street for a short period of time, if they complete the program they can be rid of their drug habit, having job training, and no record of any offenses and a fresh start at life. Obviously this will not work for all but given that the vast majority of the petty crimes are committed by people trying to get enough money to buy drugs a 20% success rate would certainly help.

MisterVeritis
03-15-2016, 09:07 AM
To solve the problem end all welfare programs that replace an at home father with a government check.

nathanbforrest45
03-15-2016, 09:48 AM
To solve the problem end all welfare programs that replace an at home father with a government check.

Next thing you know you'll be calling for a return to slavery and torture.

Safety
03-15-2016, 09:49 AM

That's a good idea also.

AZ Jim
03-15-2016, 10:29 AM
With Brownback all things are possible, ask him to give it a shot! *LOL*

Crepitus
03-15-2016, 10:30 AM
The 15th century called. They want their ideas back
They'd also appreciate it if you'd stop using their wisecracks.

Crepitus
03-15-2016, 10:32 AM

Most people who end up in prison experience quite a bit of violence, and if there were less people in the prisons it would be more feasible to clean them up anyway.

Crepitus
03-15-2016, 10:34 AM
I don't really think it works. You may force compliance but you will bred resentment towards the authorities. Not that over use of the prison is better.

Many people just need life skills that their home life never taught them.
Well, we can't go back in time and make their parents do a better job, we are kinda stuck with dealing the situation as it is.