PDA

View Full Version : When ever you see a Moron on the Net say ... "Democrats controlled Congress for 2yrs"

Cigar
09-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Piss them off with Facts, that usually gets them juiced-up ... someone on the Internet, Facebook nonetheless, gave a small history lesson that should be required reading for the intelligent.

Every once in awhile I find some moron in the comments section of this page that just irritates me into action. This guy successfully got me to respond to his talking point - but I swear to God, this is the *last time.*

Fredrick Edwin K said: Well then Tom, how about we blame the people responsible (for the economic crash of 2007). Democrats controlled both the House and the Senate from 2006-2010. So just who caused the 2008 economy?

Perhaps you've heard of the filibuster? Once Democrats took control, Republicans countered with their obstructionist, pro-corporate agenda, unable to compromise even on traditionally bipartisan efforts which allow for the smooth functioning of our government.

In the 110th Congress, filibuster and cloture votes *more than DOUBLED* from the previous session. The 111th Congress increased the number to a whopping 136 motions. Things are at a standstill (and Congress has a single digit approval rating), because *Republicans* believed that if they sabotaged the government from within, people would be blind to their tactics and blame President Obama.

In the 110th Congress, filibuster and cloture votes *more than DOUBLED* from the previous session. The 111th Congress increased the number to a whopping 136 motions. Things are at a standstill (and Congress has a single digit approval rating), because *Republicans* believed that if they sabotaged the government from within, people would be blind to their tactics and blame President Obama.

Fast-forward to Spring of 2009, when Sen. Arlen Specter finally said 'this is ridiculous' and switches his allegiance to the Democratic caucus. The press hailed his move and noted that the Democrats now had a "filibuster-proof" majority (conveniently forgetting that Al Franken and Norm Coleman were still duking it out in the Land of 10,000 Lakes and Ted Kennedy was not in chambers).

A month later, Robert Byrd is admitted to the hospital in failing health, bringing the Senate vote count to 55 Dems/2 Independents.

By the first week in July, Minnesota's newest Senator, Al Franken, is sworn into office (with Senators Byrd and Kennedy still incapacitated by illness), bringing the current vote count to 56 seated Democrats, and 2 Independents (58).

By the third week of July, Robert Byrd was well enough to join his colleagues (59)

And one month later, Senator Kennedy passed away (57), and the vote count remained at 59 Dem+Ind until Paul Kirk was sworn in as Ted Kenney's replacement in September of 2009.

So YES - the Democrats had a 60-seat majority from September 4th through February 4, 2010. That's four months, not two years.

http://www.facebook.com/TomJoadLives/posts/443532579019568

patrickt
09-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Deny, deny, deny. If Democrats can't always have their way, it's a disaster. I see you on the internet five days a week. Five days a week? How strange.

Cigar
09-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Deny, deny, deny. If Democrats can't always have their way, it's a disaster. I see you on the internet five days a week. Five days a week? How strange.

If I'm on the internet at often as I want to ... what, you didn't get the memo that individuals don't need your permission for anything?

BTW ... care to respond to the Thread or are you here to bitch?

URF8
09-17-2012, 08:41 AM
It's his real job, not the false one he tells us about.

URF8
09-17-2012, 08:42 AM
If I'm on the internet at often as I want to ... what, you didn't get the memo that individuals don't need your permission for anything?

BTW ... care to respond to the Thread or are you here to bitch?
Race relations are going to get much worse between blacks and whites. That's pretty much foreseeable.

Akula
09-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Race relations are going to get much worse between blacks and whites. That's pretty much foreseeable.

When the country finally collapses it'll be like the balkans.

Remember what you saw after katrina. Picture that nationwide.

When it finally gets to that point white people will respond.

Chris
09-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Piss them off with Facts, that usually gets them juiced-up

Seems patrickt juiced you up with a single fact.

Cigar
09-17-2012, 09:06 AM
So ... just ignore it and it will go away. :roflmao:

Smartmouthwoman
09-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Piss them off with Facts, that usually gets them juiced-up ... someone on the Internet, Facebook nonetheless, gave a small history lesson that should be required reading for the intelligent.

Every once in awhile I find some moron in the comments section of this page that just irritates me into action. This guy successfully got me to respond to his talking point - but I swear to God, this is the *last time.*

Fredrick Edwin K said: Well then Tom, how about we blame the people responsible (for the economic crash of 2007). Democrats controlled both the House and the Senate from 2006-2010. So just who caused the 2008 economy?

Perhaps you've heard of the filibuster? Once Democrats took control, Republicans countered with their obstructionist, pro-corporate agenda, unable to compromise even on traditionally bipartisan efforts which allow for the smooth functioning of our government.

Fast-forward to Spring of 2009, when Sen. Arlen Specter finally said 'this is ridiculous' and switches his allegiance to the Democratic caucus. The press hailed his move and noted that the Democrats now had a "filibuster-proof" majority (conveniently forgetting that Al Franken and Norm Coleman were still duking it out in the Land of 10,000 Lakes and Ted Kennedy was not in chambers).

A month later, Robert Byrd is admitted to the hospital in failing health, bringing the Senate vote count to 55 Dems/2 Independents.

By the first week in July, Minnesota's newest Senator, Al Franken, is sworn into office (with Senators Byrd and Kennedy still incapacitated by illness), bringing the current vote count to 56 seated Democrats, and 2 Independents (58).

By the third week of July, Robert Byrd was well enough to join his colleagues (59)

And one month later, Senator Kennedy passed away (57), and the vote count remained at 59 Dem+Ind until Paul Kirk was sworn in as Ted Kenney's replacement in September of 2009.

So YES - the Democrats had a 60-seat majority from September 4th through February 4, 2010. That's four months, not two years.

http://www.facebook.com/TomJoadLives/posts/443532579019568

http://cdn.motinetwork.net/politifake.org/image/political/1207/benjamin-franklin-obama-excuses-politics-1342271372.jpg

Cigar
09-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Excuses ... that's what Republicans say when the Facts are presented to them.

Funny ... they sure didn't sound like that over the last decade.

Goldie Locks
09-17-2012, 11:17 AM
So what???

Smartmouthwoman
09-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Excuses ... that's what Republicans say when the Facts are presented to them.

Funny ... they sure didn't sound like that over the last decade.

Excuses... all we've gotten since Obama's been in office. It was Bush's fault... then the Tea Partiers, then the Republicans. Now Cigar is trying to tell us he didn't really have a majority in congress when he crammed thru Obamacare.

Not a surprise: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/texrose752/Democrats_Lie_lg.gif

sparty
09-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Excuses... all we've gotten since Obama's been in office. It was Bush's fault... then the Tea Partiers, then the Republicans. Now Cigar is trying to tell us he didn't really have a majority in congress when he crammed thru Obamacare.

Not a surprise: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/texrose752/Democrats_Lie_lg.gif

You know what my favorite line is now?

Liberals/Democrats have all become "Independents" or Liberaltarians

Smartmouthwoman
09-17-2012, 02:53 PM
You know what my favorite line is now?

Liberals/Democrats have all become "Independents" or Liberaltarians

LOL I like Liberaltarians. Of course, many also became Paulbots... still trying to figure that out. :rollseyes:

Taxcutter
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
From 2009 to 2010 the Dems had a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. These are fairly rare.

Czernobog
09-18-2012, 12:59 PM

WHEN did Obama "cram" Obamacare through? You seem to forget that part. Obama had a single 9 month window, and he made use of that for Obamacare, and the Stimulus. Now, admittedly, in retrospect, I think there may have been more productive uses for that small window of opportunity, but, hey. Done is done.

Czernobog
09-18-2012, 01:01 PM
From 2009 to 2010 the Dems had a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. These are fairly rare.

No. They didn't. You seem to be conveniently forgetting that Al Fraken was late getting to the party, and that Ted Kennedy was forced to leave the party early. 9 months. That is the actual​ amount of time that the Democrats had a "filibuster proof" majority.

sparty
09-18-2012, 01:03 PM
LOL I like Liberaltarians. Of course, many also became Paulbots... still trying to figure that out. :rollseyes:

I just wish the Paulbots wouldn't throw their vote away. :(
A lot of them don't look it at that way, but they are throwing it away for him.
I'm guilty of voting for Ross Perot 2x, so I really don't have a lot of room to speak.

Czernobog
09-18-2012, 01:12 PM
I just wish the Paulbots wouldn't throw their vote away. :(
A lot of them don't look it at that way, but they are throwing it away for him.
I'm guilty of voting for Ross Perot 2x, so I really don't have a lot of room to speak.

I've actually made a similar argument over third-party votes. The only purpose they really serve is to be a spoiler for one of the two mainstream candidates. The Paul votes will definitely hurt Romney. Not sure who will suffer more from the "Jesus" votes - I suspect it'll hurt Romney more than Obama. I know all of the "talking heads" insist that the Gary Johnson votes will be more detrimental to Romney, than Obama. I'm not so sure of that. I mean the Johanson voters are going to tend to be more moderate than Republicans, which I think means they would have voted for Obama, only because he was closer to the center than the Modern Republicans. By putting Johnson on the ticket, I think that gave them an option to voting for a Democrat, which they really didn't want to do. I could be wrong, but I see Johnson hurting Obama more than Romney. I guess we'll see.

IGetItAlready
09-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Same leftist straw bullshit I've been reading on this issue for years.
Cigar's behind the times a bit and clearly has all his thinking done for him. :D

sparty
09-18-2012, 01:18 PM
I've actually made a similar argument over third-party votes. The only purpose they really serve is to be a spoiler for one of the two mainstream candidates. The Paul votes will definitely hurt Romney. Not sure who will suffer more from the "Jesus" votes - I suspect it'll hurt Romney more than Obama. I know all of the "talking heads" insist that the Gary Johnson votes will be more detrimental to Romney, than Obama. I'm not so sure of that. I mean the Johanson voters are going to tend to be more moderate than Republicans, which I think means they would have voted for Obama, only because he was closer to the center than the Modern Republicans. By putting Johnson on the ticket, I think that gave them an option to voting for a Democrat, which they really didn't want to do. I could be wrong, but I see Johnson hurting Obama more than Romney. I guess we'll see.

Agreed.

Same leftist straw bullshit I've been reading on this issue for years.
Cigar's behind the times a bit and clearly has all his thinking done for him. :D

Did Cigar's internet timer go off for the day? ;)

Cigar
09-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Nope ... some of us have responsibilities.

Mainecoons
09-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Is that why you spend most of your days posting here?

Is that your responsibility? Surely by now you don't think you've influenced anyone to think like you do. If anything, you've managed to out yourself for stinking thinking time and time again.

What's the point? Boredom with your government subsidized life?

Cigar
09-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Is that why you spend most of your days posting here?

Is that your responsibility? Surely by now you don't think you've influenced anyone to think like you do. If anything, you've managed to out yourself for stinking thinking time and time again.

What's the point? Boredom with your government subsidized life?

Welcome to the Year 2012 ... where what I do with my time is none of your fucking business. :)

Captain Obvious
09-18-2012, 07:10 PM
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1336686018953_7044944.png

Mainecoons
09-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Try working for a change. Remember, I'm counting on you to keep my money and health care going until I die. I'll go with a big smile knowing that you OTOH are screwed.

:grin:

Cigar
09-18-2012, 07:24 PM
h

Better put a Rope on it ... Mainecoons is sneaking around with a smirk on his face.

Cigar
09-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Try working for a change. Remember, I'm counting on you to keep my money and health care going until I die. I'll go with a big smile knowing that you OTOH are screwed.

:grin:

Screw you ... I'm one of the 47% ... you're the one supporting me. :smiley_ROFLMAO:

Is that Check in the Mail yet ... Chop Chop sport ... I have a Tee Time tomorrow.

Mainecoons
09-18-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm one of the 47 too, genius. And you ain't gonna get squat from SS & Medicare. :rofl:

Cigar
09-18-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm one of the 47 too, genius. And you ain't gonna get squat from SS & Medicare. :rofl:

Had you planned better ... you wouldn't need to be entitled ... sport.

That's why you're wondering how I can be on this forum ... and still out-earn you by Valentines Day :)