PDA

View Full Version : tPF And the war on the homeless continues, this time with cell phones

OGIS
03-27-2016, 09:43 PM
Someone needs to shove a cell phone up her butt about 4 feet. As clearly shown in the recent European terrorist attacks, where the terrorists were using burners, these kinds of controls (which Europe has) simply do not work. As with anything else, criminals find workarounds, and the poor and disenfranchised get farked.

House Lawmaker Wants to Make it Illegal to Buy a Burner Phone Without ID (http://gizmodo.com/house-lawmaker-want-to-require-personal-information-to-1767368371)

House Representative Jackie Speier (D-San Francisco/San Mateo) has put forward a bill that will require retailers to ask for identification from anyone buying a prepaid cellphone.
The bill, called Closing the Pre-Paid Mobile Device Security Gap Act of 2016, is designed to “close one of the most significant gaps in our ability to track and prevent acts of terror, drug trafficking, and modern-day slavery,” according to Speier.
The bill will require anyone purchasing a “pre-paid mobile device or SIM card” to provide

1. The full name of the purchaser.
2. The complete home address of the purchaser.
3. The date of birth of the purchaser.

Retailers would require a Federal or State ID, a W–2 Wage and Tax Statement, a Form 1099 from the Social Security Administration or other government agency, or any other document so deemed eligible by the Attorney General. Retailers would then be required to keep a record of this information, along with information about the phone.

http://gizmodo.com/house-lawmaker-want-to-require-personal-information-to-1767368371?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Captain Obvious
03-27-2016, 09:46 PM
How is this different from the ACA? Forced compliance and submit your personal information to the establishment.

You made your bed, sleep in it.

OGIS
03-27-2016, 09:50 PM
How is this different from the ACA? Forced compliance and submit your personal information to the establishment.

If you can't figure that out, and are simply throwing out the above to try and score a cheap political point, you are hopeless. Homeless and poor people don't need the ACA to get jobs, stay in contact with people, etc. They do need cheap, throwaway phones.

You made your bed, sleep in it.

My bed? How so?

Are you assuming chit again, Captain?

Captain Obvious
03-27-2016, 10:07 PM
If you can't figure that out, and are simply throwing out the above to try and score a cheap political point, you are hopeless. Homeless and poor people don't need the ACA to get jobs, stay in contact with people, etc. They do need cheap, throwaway phones.

My bed? How so?

Are you assuming chit again, Captain?

Your supported representatives aren't interested in humanitarian policies. They want your vote, support and data. Nothing more.

OGIS
03-27-2016, 10:30 PM
Your supported representatives aren't interested in humanitarian policies. They want your vote, support and data. Nothing more.

I see your problem. You assume, for some bizarre reason, that I support this ****.

Tahuyaman
03-27-2016, 10:34 PM
"War on the homeless"

thats funny.

OGIS
03-27-2016, 10:39 PM
"War on the homeless"

thats funny.

That you don't understand the problem is obvious, but understandable.

Mac-7
03-28-2016, 03:44 AM

We're trying to understand.

Is it only homeless people who have to show id or would I have to show id also?

FindersKeepers
03-28-2016, 04:55 AM
Someone needs to shove a cell phone up her butt about 4 feet. As clearly shown in the recent European terrorist attacks, where the terrorists were using burners, these kinds of controls (which Europe has) simply do not work. As with anything else, criminals find workarounds, and the poor and disenfranchised get farked.

(http://gizmodo.com/house-lawmaker-want-to-require-personal-information-to-1767368371)
Sadly, this is pretty typical when lawmakers want to do something, but they don't know what to do.

Retailers would require a Federal or State ID, a W–2 Wage and Tax Statement, a Form 1099 from the Social Security Administration or other government agency, or any other document so deemed eligible by the Attorney General. Retailers would then be required to keep a record of this information, along with information about the phone.

It'll be interesting to watch this bill. There's a good chance it won't pass. Yes, it could impact the poor.

Mac-7
03-28-2016, 05:02 AM
[/URL]

It'll be interesting to watch this bill. There's a good chance it won't pass. Yes, it could impact the poor.

Not all drug dealers are poor.

having to show id complicates their drug business

FindersKeepers
03-28-2016, 05:14 AM
Not all drug dealers are poor.

having to show id complicates their drug business

Not just drug dealers buy these phones, unfortunately.

This bill isn't much different from those that intend to remove 2nd Amendment rights. These kinds of bills crop up to stop a small segment of society and end up harming law-abiding citizens.

Mac-7
03-28-2016, 05:22 AM

And not every poor person is so helpless that they cant get a simple picture id card to save their life.

Cthulhu
03-28-2016, 07:27 AM

This bill isn't much different from those that intend to remove 2nd Amendment rights. These kinds of bills crop up to stop a small segment of society and end up harming law-abiding citizens.
Not to mention the new market of straw buying cell phones then disposing of them via private sale.

Or magically having them get "stolen".

Legislators are so dense it's amazing.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

Tahuyaman
03-28-2016, 08:23 AM

you left wingers can always invent a mythical war on someone or something. That's the biggest part of the problem.

michiganFats
03-28-2016, 08:27 AM
This isn't a war on the homeless. I can think of a few good reasons to buy a burner, mostly security related. This isn't about the homeless being able to find a job, it's about control.

OGIS
03-28-2016, 09:40 AM

It's the mentality of "better 100 innocent people get the electric chair than one killer escape justice."

That's fine... until you become one of the innocent people that gets fried.

There are some people here who will tell you that there are no innocent people in prison.

FindersKeepers
03-28-2016, 09:46 AM
It's the mentality of "better 100 innocent people get the electric chair than one killer escape justice."

That's fine... until you become one of the innocent people that gets fried.

There are some people here who will tell you that there are no innocent people in prison.

I agree with this. There is nothing more abhorrent than being falsely accused of a crime and then sitting in prison for it. And it happens WAY too often.

Mac-7
03-28-2016, 09:50 AM
Not to mention the new market of straw buying cell phones then disposing of them via private sale.

Or magically having them get "stolen".

Legislators are so dense it's amazing.

If the homeless are too poor to get an id card how do they buy the cell phone now?

if a drug dealer has to pay someone to buy the phone for him and then uses the phone to sell crappy drugs to some loser who is killed by the drugs there is a link to the drug dealer.

meaning he has to kill the straw buyer too.

That may be only an annoyance if he is an illegal alien from mexico or it could turn into a big problem for him.

either way its worth a try

Mac-7
03-28-2016, 09:53 AM
I agree with this. There is nothing more abhorrent than being falsely accused of a crime and then sitting in prison for it. And it happens WAY too often.

Usually not to innocent people who are living clean lives but to chronic criminals who are into all sorts of illegal activity but maybe not the particular crime they are accused of.

OGIS
03-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Usually not to innocent people who are living clean lives but to chronic criminals who are into all sorts of illegal activity but maybe not the particular crime they are accused of.

Mac, you desperately need some real-world therapy. It would be instructive for you to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, get arrested, and have to go through the whole dreary court appearance and spend the weekend in jail with Bubba thing. And if you bitch about it like you bitch about stuff here, getting slugged a few times by four cops with police batons wrapped in a towel (doesn't leave skin marks). You could then get back to us in a week, or a month (if the cops didn't CAF your computer) and tell us how it all went and how your mind is unchanged.

Mac-7
03-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Mac, you desperately need some real-world therapy. It would be instructive for you to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, get arrested, and have to go through the whole dreary court appearance and spend the weekend in jail with Bubba thing. And if you $#@! about it like you $#@! about stuff here, getting slugged a few times by four cops with police batons wrapped in a towel (doesn't leave skin marks). You could then get back to us in a week, or a month (if the cops didn't CAF your computer) and tell us how it all went and how your mind is unchanged.

There are a few upstanding citizens that lead double lives as rapists, drug dealers and murderers.

But not nearly as often as chronic criminals who began as shoplifters as children and have lived a life of crime ever since.

And not surprisingly they are the prime suspects when someone is murdered.

sometimes the cops match the right criminal to the right time and sometimes they dont.

But they seldom send truely innocent peopke to jail.

Cthulhu
03-28-2016, 09:04 PM
If the homeless are too poor to get an id card how do they buy the cell phone now?

if a drug dealer has to pay someone to buy the phone for him and then uses the phone to sell crappy drugs to some loser who is killed by the drugs there is a link to the drug dealer.

meaning he has to kill the straw buyer too.

That may be only an annoyance if he is an illegal alien from mexico or it could turn into a big problem for him.

either way its worth a try
*facepalm*

MisterVeritis
03-28-2016, 09:21 PM
[/URL]
Sadly, this is pretty typical when lawmakers want to do something, but they don't know what to do.

Deport as many Muslims as is possible. Watch all of the rest. Don't let any more come here. Keep the IslamoNAZI Imams out of our prisons.

decedent
03-28-2016, 09:48 PM
When a homeless person is dragged out of a mall for no reason, I salute the security guards. If you have no money, you relinquish your rights as a citizen.

Peter1469
03-28-2016, 10:01 PM
When a homeless person is dragged out of a mall for no reason, I salute the security guards. If you have no money, you relinquish your rights as a citizen.

Nobody can loiter in a mall. It hurts business.

I imagine almost 100% of mall owners and store owners who lease space in malls agree.

OGIS
03-28-2016, 10:06 PM

I imagine almost 100% of mall owners and store owners who lease space in malls agree.

What planet have you been living on for the past 40 years? During the summers my daughter and her little friends LIVED at the freaking mall. Why no, most of them had zip for money. They window shopped. They gossiped. They watched boys. They loitered.

OGIS
03-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Deport as many Muslims as is possible. Watch all of the rest. Don't let any more come here. Keep the IslamoNAZI Imams out of our prisons.

Do we seize all their property before we deport them?

Peter1469
03-28-2016, 10:18 PM
What planet have you been living on for the past 40 years? During the summers my daughter and her little friends LIVED at the freaking mall. Why no, most of them had zip for money. They window shopped. They gossiped. They watched boys. They loitered.

Where I grew up, southeast Louisiana, several malls closed because gangs used them as hangout spots. The remaining malls hired better security who cleaned the trash out. They didn't go out of business.

Also don't shift goalposts. Your first statement was about homeless. My respond included gangs. Teens or people in general who just hang out in malls and don't detract from business have never and will never be a real issue.

Standing Wolf
03-28-2016, 10:32 PM

So there will have to be a follow-on law that criminalizes unlicensed cellphone sales. No more unregistered, unregulated private sales, aka "the phone show loophole".

:smiley-char092:

del
03-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Where I grew up, southeast Louisiana, several malls closed because gangs used them as hangout spots. The remaining malls hired better security who cleaned the trash out. They didn't go out of business.

Also don't shift goalposts. Your first statement was about homeless. My respond included gangs. Teens or people in general who just hang out in malls and don't detract from business have never and will never be a real issue.

Peter1469
03-28-2016, 10:37 PM
Most non-disruptive groups of teens do buy at least snakes and ice cream at malls. Some buy a lot of stuff.

People understand the difference between a disruptive presence and one that is not.

del
03-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Most non-disruptive groups of teens do buy at least snakes and ice cream at malls. Some buy a lot of stuff.

People understand the difference between a disruptive presence and one that is not.

a group of teens with snakes seems disruptive on the face of it.

Standing Wolf
03-28-2016, 10:56 PM
a group of teens with snakes seems disruptive on the face of it.

:biglaugh:

Mac-7
03-29-2016, 04:36 AM
*facepalm*

Sorry, but you really are whinning about causing some inconvienence to the dredges of society when drug dealers and homeless bums cause so much trouble for everyone else.

Cthulhu
03-29-2016, 07:17 AM
Sorry, but you really are whinning about causing some inconvienence to the dredges of society when drug dealers and homeless bums cause so much trouble for everyone else.
I get it. You don't care about personal freedom.

When you die, I'm drinking a root beer. Like three of them.

Tahuyaman
03-29-2016, 11:59 AM
I made a batch of root beer once. It was awesome. Better than anything you can get at a supermarket.

OGIS
03-29-2016, 12:02 PM

Some homeless guy sitting quietly at a corner table in a mall eating area, to stay out of the rain, is not a disruptive presence.

Mac-7
03-29-2016, 12:06 PM
I get it. You don't care about personal freedom.

When you die, I'm drinking a root beer. Like three of them.

Personal freedom for criminals?

not high on my list of priorities

Peter1469
03-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Some homeless guy sitting quietly at a corner table in a mall eating area, to stay out of the rain, is not a disruptive presence.

A dozen are.