PDA

View Full Version : Warning: How the G.O.P. Elite Lost Its Voters to Donald Trump

Cigar
03-29-2016, 09:12 AM
As the Republican Party collapses on itself, conservative leaders struggling to explain Mr. Trump’s appeal have largely seized on his unique qualities as a candidate: his larger-than-life persona, his ability to dominate the airwaves, his tough-sounding if unrealistic policy proposals. Others ascribe Mr. Trump’s rise to the xenophobia and racism of Americans angry over their declining power.

But the story is also one of a party elite that abandoned its most faithful voters, blue-collar white Americans, who faced economic pain and uncertainty over the past decade as the party’s donors, lawmakers and lobbyists prospered. From mobile home parks in Florida and factory towns in Michigan, to Virginia’s coal country, where as many as one in five adults live on Social Security disability payments, disenchanted Republican voters lost faith in the agenda of their party’s leaders.

In dozens of interviews, Republican lawmakers, donors, activists and others described — some with resignation, some with anger — a party that paved the way for a Trump-like figure to steal its base, as it lost touch with less affluent voters and misunderstood their growing anguish.

“This is absolutely a crisis for the party elite — and beyond the party elite, for elected officials, and for the way people have been raised as Republicans in the power structure for a generation,” said Ari Fleischer, who served as press secretary for President George W. Bush. “If Donald Trump wins, he will change what it means to be a Republican.”

Nice story of how the GOP's mega donors helped create and benefitted from the conditions that paved the way for Donald Trump's candidacy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/28/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-voters.html?_r=0

michiganFats
03-29-2016, 09:16 AM
This is why I think Trump will win, he's talking to a large group of people who think they haven't been represented in recent years.

Mac-7
03-29-2016, 09:25 AM
First the republican party.

and then America?

We'll see.

Quicksilver
03-29-2016, 09:34 AM
I also think they lost the Evangelical vote by making promises to them they had no intention of keeping.. Particularly on the Social Issues. They basically used this group of folk to get elected.. and then abandoned them the minute they did. It's not a wonder they are angry.

Subdermal
03-29-2016, 08:17 PM
The same way the DEM Elite are losing their votes to Bernie - just the opposite direction.

The only real difference is that Bernie's voters are young, inexperienced, brainwashed and naive (and many are stupid).

The ones supporting Trump are generally beaten down and experienced Americans: experienced at being bent over and focked by Cronyism.

Mac-7
03-29-2016, 08:24 PM
The same way the DEM Elite are losing their votes to Bernie - just the opposite direction.

The only real difference is that Bernie's voters are young, inexperienced, brainwashed and naive (and many are stupid).

The ones supporting Trump are generally beaten down and experienced Americans: experienced at being bent over and focked by Cronyism.

Bernie is farther left that the democrat elite but their only real complaint with him is that the fear he wont sell in a general election.

And they were hpoing to elect the first female president this year

Quicksilver
03-30-2016, 07:33 AM
Bernie is farther left that the democrat elite but their only real complaint with him is that the fear he wont sell in a general election.

And they were hpoing to elect the first female president this year

And Democrats will vote en-mass for whoever their nominee is..

Common Sense
03-30-2016, 07:40 AM
I wonder how Trump supporters reconcile some of the things he said at the Town Hall last night...

When asked what the top 3 functions of the federal government are, he responded..."security, security, security..." but when pressed he said "Security, healthcare and education".

He came off as someone who doesn't have the first clue as to how the country is run. He just went on about deals. How are people this stupid in this day and age?

Subdermal
03-30-2016, 08:14 AM
I wonder how Trump supporters reconcile some of the things he said at the Town Hall last night...

When asked what the top 3 functions of the federal government are, he responded..."security, security, security..." but when pressed he said "Security, healthcare and education".

He came off as someone who doesn't have the first clue as to how the country is run. He just went on about deals. How are people this stupid in this day and age?

I was just looking for a thread in which to post that exact comment.

I totally agree with you - and I'm shocked about that, as I would have thought that you'd believe that a Federal Government's priorities would include health care and education.

Trump sounded like an idiot last night. Cruz easily won the night; sounded far more polished, earnest, knowledgeable and Presidential.

Kasuck was his usual Suck.

But Trump's answers made him a laughingstock. Security, Health Care and Education? Really, Donald?

Quicksilver
03-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Trump is all over the map.. BUT apparently he wants to increase taxes on the wealthy to pay for education and for healthcare for everyone.. Hmmmmmmm Is he a Republican? Are you SURE?

Mac-7
03-30-2016, 08:17 AM

You are only a canadian so I'm not inclined to seek your approval for my presidential choice.

maybe an American citizen will ask the question for you and I will respond

Please keep the discussion civil. Posters of all nationalities are members of this forum. Belittling a member's nationality is bad faith posting.

Cigar
03-30-2016, 08:18 AM
Trump is all over the map.. BUT apparently he wants to increase taxes on the wealthy to pay for education and for healthcare for everyone.. Hmmmmmmm Is he a Republican? Are you SURE?

:smiley_ROFLMAO: By October he'll be advocating appointing a Liberal Supreme Court Justice

Quicksilver
03-30-2016, 08:20 AM
Part of me is still convinced that Trump is playing the Hard Right moron group for all they are worth. He knew he wouldn't beat Hillary as a Democratic Nominee.. so he maybe he figured he would primary as a Republican.. fool the idiots into nominating him and then implement all his Democratic principles. Interesting.. don't you agree.. Many people have always said he is a plant.

Common Sense
03-30-2016, 08:21 AM
You are only a canadian so I'm not inclined to seek your approval for my presidential choice.

maybe an American citizen will ask the question for you and I will respond

Bwhahahaaa....

So how do you do it Mac? How do you support Trump when he says two of the top three functions of the federal govt are education and healthcare?

Don't bother answering. Just say Canada and wipe the drool from yer yap.

Quicksilver
03-30-2016, 08:26 AM
This is the funniest thing I've ever had the privilege of watching.

Mac-7
03-30-2016, 08:28 AM
Bwhahahaaa....

So how do you do it Mac? How do you support Trump when he says two of the top three functions of the federal govt are education and healthcare?

Don't bother answering. Just say Canada and wipe the drool from yer yap.

I support cruz which is something canadian hillary worshipers may not approve of either

trump is my 2nd choice

Common Sense
03-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Lol...

Quicksilver
03-30-2016, 09:23 AM
I support cruz which is something canadian hillary worshipers may not approve of either

trump is my 2nd choice

Well Cruz is CANADIAN... so they have some skin in the game... no?

Mac-7
03-30-2016, 11:26 AM
Well Cruz is CANADIAN... so they have some skin in the game... no?

And obumer is half mau mau.

at least both of cruz's parents are American citizens now.

nic34
03-30-2016, 11:34 AM
I also think they lost the Evangelical vote by making promises to them they had no intention of keeping.. Particularly on the Social Issues. They basically used this group of folk to get elected.. and then abandoned them the minute they did. It's not a wonder they are angry.

Exactly. Why do you think abortion is still legal?

Cigar
03-30-2016, 11:46 AM
And obumer is half mau mau.

at least both of cruz's parents are American citizens now.

Now he's 100% President of The United States :grin:

Mac-7
03-30-2016, 04:53 PM
Now he's 100% President of The United States :grin:

Yes, the first half American president.