PDA

View Full Version : The People vs. OJ Simpson

Ethereal
03-29-2016, 10:50 PM
I've been watching this show and it's very good. I was pretty young when it actually happened so I only vaguely recall what happened at the time. I always knew that Mark Furhman had said something racist, but until I watched tonight's episode, I had no idea just how virulent and extreme his racism really was, or that he was convicted of perjury. And the only reason this surprises me is because this despicable, racist liar is a regular contributor to Fox News. I mean, I know they have some pretty noxious characters on their news channel, but Fuhrman is basically irredeemable. My stomach is turning just thinking about this thug, this goon being given a national platform to speak his demented mind. I understand that Fox News is a pretty toxic channel, but I still thought they had some minimum standards of decency and common sense. Apparently I was wrong. How in the world can they let this man on their network knowing what he has said!?

http://www.foxnews.com/person/f/mark-fuhrman.html

Safety
03-29-2016, 11:09 PM
He plays to their base.

Ethereal
03-29-2016, 11:11 PM
He plays to their base.

I just assume they could find another cop who speaks to their base who isn't a notorious and extreme racist. Hiring Furhman as an "expert" seems gratuitous and cynical even for them.

Okashii
03-29-2016, 11:15 PM
I just assume they could find another cop who speaks to their base who isn't a notorious and extreme racist. Hiring Furhman as an "expert" seems gratuitous and cynical even for them.

Even his name sounds racist lol.

I don't remember much about the trial either, but I do remember expressing happiness that he was acquitted in a bar full of white people... Hoo, boy... needless to say, I quickly exited said bar.

Safety
03-29-2016, 11:15 PM
I have no doubt in my mind that OJ was guilty, but Furhman was the icing on the cake.

Ethereal
03-29-2016, 11:19 PM
Even his name sounds racist lol.

I don't remember much about the trial either, but I do remember expressing happiness that he was acquitted in a bar full of white people... Hoo, boy... needless to say, I quickly exited said bar.

I can't say I'm happy about his acquittal because I'm pretty sure he was guilty. I'm just shocked that a major news network (even a conservative one) would hire someone who is famous for being a crazed racist.

Okashii
03-29-2016, 11:28 PM
I can't say I'm happy about his acquittal because I'm pretty sure he was guilty.

I have no idea... I didn't follow the trial and frankly I don't care. I just saw a bunch of white people shouting for a black man's blood and I kinda liked it that they got the finger.

I'm just shocked that a major news network (even a conservative one) would hire someone who is famous for being a crazed racist.

Donald J. Trump is currently the leading GOP candidate for President. In 2016. How can you be that shocked?!

Ethereal
03-29-2016, 11:34 PM
I have no idea... I didn't follow the trial and frankly I don't care. I just saw a bunch of white people shouting for a black man's blood and I kinda liked it that they got the finger.

Donald J. Trump is currently the leading GOP candidate for President. In 2016. How can you be that shocked?!

Trump isn't on record using the N-word forty times and committing perjury.

Okashii
03-29-2016, 11:49 PM
Trump isn't on record using the N-word forty times and committing perjury.

Well.. I suppose, yes. He's smart enough to avoid that word. Whatever else he is, I'll give him that much.

Crepitus
03-30-2016, 01:02 AM
I haven't watched the show but I remember the actual events quite clearly. The main reason for Simpsons acquittal was fear of a repeat of the Rodney King riots a few years earlier.

Mac-7
03-30-2016, 02:24 AM
I haven't watched the show but I remember the actual events quite clearly. The main reason for Simpsons acquittal was fear of a repeat of the Rodney King riots a few years earlier.

There were a lot of black people on the jury who voted their skin color.

michiganFats
03-30-2016, 03:35 AM
I've been watching this show and it's very good. I was pretty young when it actually happened so I only vaguely recall what happened at the time. I always knew that Mark Furhman had said something racist, but until I watched tonight's episode, I had no idea just how virulent and extreme his racism really was, or that he was convicted of perjury. And the only reason this surprises me is because this despicable, racist liar is a regular contributor to Fox News. I mean, I know they have some pretty noxious characters on their news channel, but Fuhrman is basically irredeemable. My stomach is turning just thinking about this thug, this goon being given a national platform to speak his demented mind. I understand that Fox News is a pretty toxic channel, but I still thought they had some minimum standards of decency and common sense. Apparently I was wrong. How in the world can they let this man on their network knowing what he has said!?

I haven't watched the show, I still remember the over the top coverage of the trial and I have no desire to watch a TV show about it. I don't watch FOX news a lot either but I too am surprised they're using Fuhrman. He dropped some n-bombs but the big thing against him back then was that he was accused of planting evidence on innocent people and I don't see how anyone could use him as an analyst or commentator.

Peter1469
03-30-2016, 05:09 AM
Jury nullification. And the prosecution gave them cover when they had OJ try on that glove. Dumbest thing that I ever saw a prosecutor do.

Safety
03-30-2016, 06:19 AM

Maybe so, it's not like it was the first time people voted their skin color.

Cigar
03-30-2016, 07:51 AM
No need to watch, I already seen the ending.

donttread
03-30-2016, 07:58 AM
I have no doubt in my mind that OJ was guilty, but Furhman was the icing on the cake.

The OJ Simpson trial proved that our legal system is extremely color biased and the color it prefers is GREEN

michiganFats
03-30-2016, 08:00 AM
Jury nullification. And the prosecution gave them cover when they had OJ try on that glove. Dumbest thing that I ever saw a prosecutor do.

It was dumb but it did lead to one of the funniest Seinfeld scenes ever.

Cigar
03-30-2016, 08:06 AM
The OJ Simpson trial proved that our legal system is extremely color biased and the color it prefers is GREEN

People of Color have been saying the justice system is bias for ever, it just took the bias to happen to someone other than one of Color to take notice.

Tahuyaman
03-31-2016, 10:32 AM

and people who sat on that jury said that they knew Simpson was guilty, but Furhman made them give Simpson a pass.

Cigar
03-31-2016, 12:22 PM

Just like The Good Old Dayz :grin:

What wrong, you don't like it when people do that? :laugh:

Tahuyaman
03-31-2016, 05:26 PM
Isn't amazing how a jury can admit that they let a known double murderer walk and people can celebrate that?

maineman
03-31-2016, 05:34 PM
My daughter is an ADA in Maine. Even she gets it that the state simply MUST not put on a shoddy case. I would rather ten guilty men go free than execute one innocent one. If the state cannot prove their case overwhelmingly.... if the defense can plant seeds of doubt... then the state deserves to lose, and DA's deserve to be fired, and better ones hired that don't make those mistakes. The gloves could have gone into evidence without Furman ever taking the stand. They KNEW he was a loose cannon. Marcia Clark screwed up. She deserved to lose the case and lose her job imho.

Peter1469
03-31-2016, 05:37 PM
The prosecution couldn't win that case with that jury. It was jury nullification, and in the grand scheme, likely the correct result.

Chris
03-31-2016, 06:21 PM
I watched the first couple episodes then lost interest. One, I'd followed the story and read up on it back then. Two, the acting was horrendous.

sachem
03-31-2016, 07:59 PM
I watched the first couple episodes then lost interest. One, I'd followed the story and read up on it back then. Two, the acting was horrendous.
Yeah, it is unfortunate that most of the acting is horrible. Although I have managed to stay with it.

Ethereal
03-31-2016, 08:02 PM
Yeah, it is unfortunate that most of the acting is horrible. Although I have managed to stay with it.

I thought the acting was particularly strong.

Tahuyaman
03-31-2016, 08:06 PM
The prosecution couldn't win that case with that jury. It was jury nullification, and in the grand scheme, likely the correct result.

The state presented undeniably conclusive evidence that OJ Simpson committed those two murders. A murderer walking is never the correct result. OJ Simpson was on trial, but Mark Furhman was found guilty.

sachem
03-31-2016, 08:11 PM
I thought the acting was particularly strong.Other than Courtney Vance, they all seem to be overacting, in my opinion. Although some, Travolta and Lane, seem to be the worst. But I admit I followed the trial pretty closely. I may just be comparing the actors to the originals??

Peter1469
03-31-2016, 08:14 PM
The state presented undeniably conclusive evidence that OJ Simpson committed those two murders. A murderer walking is never the correct result. OJ Simpson was on trial, but Mark Furhman was found guilty.

Mark Furhman was not a major player. It was much bigger that the OJ case.

Ethereal
03-31-2016, 08:14 PM
Other than Courtney Vance, they all seem to be overacting, in my opinion. Although some, Travolta and Lane, seem to be the worst. But I admit I followed the trial pretty closely. I may just be comparing the actors to the originals??

Perhaps, because I had little firsthand knowledge of how they behaved during the actual events and I feel like their acting is very strong all around.

Tahuyaman
03-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Mark Furhman was not a major player. It was much bigger that the OJ case.

The jury used Furhman as an excuse to let the murderer walk. They viewed it a pay-back.

Peter1469
03-31-2016, 08:21 PM
The jury used Furhman as an excuse to let the murderer walk. They viewed it a pay-back.

The glove was the give me. The prosecution committed a 1L mistake.

But you are correct about the societal race problems- that was the ultimate not guilty reason.

Tahuyaman
03-31-2016, 08:25 PM
The glove was the give me. The prosecution committed a 1L mistake.

But you are correct about the societal race problems- that was the ultimate not guilty reason.

watch a video of the glove thing. It appears that Simpson took lessons on how make a glove look like it didn't fit.

Dr. Who
04-01-2016, 12:22 AM
It was the racism and perjury of Furhman and the sloppy evidence handling of the LAPD that poisoned the state's case. In the circumstances, a defendant can be guilty as sin, but if it becomes obvious that the chain of evidence has been mishandled, with samples lost and blood evidence stepped on by police officers, cross contamination of samples, then all of the evidence becomes suspect and thus not really credible. It is then even easy to allege that evidence was planted, because the evidence that was collected was carried around in police cars and not turned in for many hours. Furthermore, Furhman pled the 5th regarding planting evidence and falsifying reports which is basically viewed as an admission of guilt without a penalty. The chain of custody was left in doubt along with the integrity of the evidence .

It is the obligation of the state to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Furhman et al cast doubt on the state's whole case. Regardless if the jury believed O.J. was probably guilty, the state's contaminated case easily created reasonable doubt. It was the ineptitude, corruption and racism of the LAPD that gave OJ's legal team of particularly high profile lawyers something easy to exploit. Had the jury ignored the evidence and convicted, I suspect an appellate court would have tossed it on the basis of the problematic evidence etc.

Hal Jordan
04-01-2016, 12:44 AM
It's my understanding that there is evidence that OJ's son may have been the murderer, rather than OJ himself. Not that this matters, because due to the OJ trials, he would never face trial over that. If so, in essence, OJ sacrificed himself in the court of public opinion in order to protect his son. Whether this is the truth or not, I don't know. I do have a family member that I believe plead guilty to a murder to protect another family member, so that is feasible. I have not been watching this, though.

Tahuyaman
04-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Al Cowlings, the owner of the white Ford Bronco knows.

Chris
04-02-2016, 02:32 PM
In case anyone is interested: Knife linked to former O.J. Simpson property is not connected to homicide case, LAPD concludes (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-knife-linked-to-o-j-simpson--20160401-story.html).

onecut
04-03-2016, 02:09 PM

He fits right in!

onecut
04-04-2016, 11:14 AM
It's my understanding that there is evidence that OJ's son may have been the murderer, rather than OJ himself. Not that this matters, because due to the OJ trials, he would never face trial over that. If so, in essence, OJ sacrificed himself in the court of public opinion in order to protect his son. Whether this is the truth or not, I don't know. I do have a family member that I believe plead guilty to a murder to protect another family member, so that is feasible. I have not been watching this, though.

There is a multitude of evidence that OJ was indeed guilty and the testimony of the liomo driver nailed it!

Bo-4
04-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Fuhrman is human excrement.

After that hot mess of a trial - he moved to Sandpoint, Idaho because he heard there were lots of other racists there and he figured he'd feel at home.

He was wrong, but managed to further blacken our state's (i'm in Boise) eye.

http://www.sandpointonline.com/sandpointmag/smw96/smwho.htm