PDA

View Full Version : ObamaCare Is Sick, And Getting Sicker, Report Finds

Peter1469
03-31-2016, 02:38 PM
ObamaCare Is Sick, And Getting Sicker, Report Finds (http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/obamacare-is-sick-and-getting-sicker-report-finds/)

From the beginning I said Obamacare was designed to fail- followed by a single payer system. Recall at first the insurance companies didn't really want to be a part of it. All of a sudden they were on board. I think they were told the deal and they decided to maximize their profits before private insurance is largely killed off.

Health Reform: ObamaCare enrollees are sicker than those covered before the law. Backers see this as good news, because it means those needing coverage are getting it. It’s actually a sign of an impending death spiral.

A new report from Blue Cross Blue Shield finds that those who signed up for ObamaCare in 2014 and 2015 had higher rates of various diseases (http://www.bcbs.com/healthofamerica/newly_enrolled_individuals_after_aca.pdf) and used “significantly more” medical services in their first year of coverage.

For example, new enrollees were 25% more likely to have hypertension, 32% more likely to have coronary artery disease and 94% more likely to have diabetes. They had far higher rates of ER visits, prescriptions filled and hospital visits.

This could be seen as a sign of success. After all, ObamaCare forbids insurers from denying coverage or charging people more for preexisting conditions. So presumably it’s an indication that all those who had been locked out of the old market really needed the coverage.

But to work, ObamaCare had to also bring in more young and healthy people to offset the costs of the older and sicker and keep insurance premiums down. Otherwise, the market would enter into a “death spiral,” in which higher premiums drive more healthy people out of the market, pushing rates up still further.

That was precisely what happened in several states that had already experimented with ObamaCare-style insurance reforms. And it’s why ObamaCare included an individual mandate and the sizable penalty for not signing up.

It’s clearly not working as promised. Enrollment data released by the administration in early March shows that just 28% of ObamaCare enrollees are 18-34 years old (https://aspe.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/187866/Finalenrollment2016.pdf). That’s the same share as in ObamaCare’s first year, despite a huge increase in the penalty for not having insurance.

The only fix at this point is a tax payer bailout of the insurance companies. Which, of course wouldn't bother them a bit.

Read the entire article at the link.

Cigar
03-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Keep Hope Alive .... :laugh:

Maybe President Donald J Trump will Fix it, and make Democrats Pay for it.

Peter1469
03-31-2016, 03:46 PM
Good job in pointing out the flaws in the study. You should be a professor.

Polecat
03-31-2016, 03:58 PM
I know that the demise of health insurance of any kind is the answer. Shut them all down and seize their assets to pay towards the nation debt. The cost of health care will soon be forced to return to a realistic figure of what the market can bare.

Peter1469
03-31-2016, 04:16 PM
I know that the demise of health insurance of any kind is the answer. Shut them all down and seize their assets to pay towards the nation debt. The cost of health care will soon be forced to return to a realistic figure of what the market can bare.

For the most part paying off a lot of the debt is just burning money. If you are going drastic, use the money you steal from the insurers to fund a single payer system.

Common Sense
03-31-2016, 04:18 PM
I'm so glad I live under the system I live under.

Peter1469
03-31-2016, 04:28 PM
How much innovation would there be without a free market?

Tahuyaman
03-31-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm so glad I live under the system I live under.

me too.