PDA

View Full Version : The Democracy Worshipers

Mister D
09-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Snip

http://www.vdare.com/articles/the-democracy-worshipers

After all, the French Revolution gave us the Terror and Napoleonic wars. The Russian Revolution gave us Lenin, Stalin and 70 years of totalitarian horrors. Mao's revolution put 30 million Chinese in early graves.

Cuba's revolution gave us an end to freedom and 50 years of Fidel's cult of personality. Iran's revolution that took down the Shah raised up the Ayatollah.

One would think we would have learned a little skepticism.

Yet no sooner had the crowds in Tunis turned out their autocrat and the throngs taken over Tahrir Square in Cairo than our giddy elites were proclaiming the "Arab Spring" and demanding the United States get on the side of the Arab street against all autocrats.

Yet Hosni Mubarak, though a ruthless ruler, had been our man in Cairo since the assassination of Anwar Sadat, fighting alongside us in the Gulf War, keeping the peace with Israel, allying with us in the war on terror.

But as soon as the tide turned against him, we ditched him and cheered on the crowd in Tahrir Square, a few of whom celebrated the downfall of despotism with a sexual mauling of Lara Logan.

What our democracy-worshipers, our "power-to-the-people" lovers of revolution fail to understand is that revolutions unleash all the forces in a society, including the most noxious. Indeed, especially them.

To understand what revolutions and popular democracy are likely to produce, we need to understand the fires in the minds of the men who create or capture those revolutions.

Conley
09-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Good points all. Other than not getting involved in Libya or Obama running his mouth on Syria I don't know what our government could have done differently. We didn't take the lead on a lot of this.

MMC
09-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Actually Obama wiped Egypts Debt with us and offered to give them a billion dollars to help Back their banks. Then both Obama and Sarkosy vowed to raise 40 billion for Egypt.

Conley
09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Actually Obama wiped Egypts Debt with us and offered to give them a billion dollars to help Back their banks. Then both Obama and Sarkosy vowed to raise 40 billion for Egypt.

Oh.

Well if that's the case then we're further up the creek than I realized. :-\

MMC
09-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Oh.

I would offer to get you the article but I deleted it last night. I noticed I was deleting a lot of good shit that I had up and it would have took even more time than what it did. To try and transfer it all here.
That was a part of Kerry's bill for Nation building and Infrastructure. Then Kerry ran over to Egypt because he had to See Democracy In Action. So he says.

Conley
09-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Oh.

I would offer to get you the article but I deleted it last night. I noticed I was deleting a lot of good shit that I had up and it would have took even more time than what it did. To try and transfer it all here.
That was a part of Kerry's bill for Nation building and Infrastructure. Then Kerry ran over to Egypt because he had to See Democracy In Action. So he says.

Thanks. I will Google it. That kind of thing and the paying of $500M to that Solar company are the kinds of things that need to be more widely reported.

Pendragon
09-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Democracy is a wonderful thing and should be worshiped. It is the totalitarians who should be shunned.

The author of that article appears to be confusing democracy with revolution. Certainly war can be bloody and full of hardships. Did we really need an article to explain that to us? Methinks not.

Pendragon
09-16-2011, 05:32 PM

This is simply false.

You can not find the article because there is no evidence of this and in fact nothing like this ever happened.

I respect you but please do not make up fables regarding our President. We need all come together as citizens and Americans.

Mister D
09-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Democracy is a wonderful thing and should be worshiped. It is the totalitarians who should be shunned.

The author of that article appears to be confusing democracy with revolution. Certainly war can be bloody and full of hardships. Did we really need an article to explain that to us? Methinks not.

Democracy is the most horrendous form of government imaginable. What does the mob have to recommend itself? BTW, we don't live in a democracy and we never have. Thank God.

You appear to be confusing democracy with liberty. The latter is desirable. The former is not.

Mister D
09-16-2011, 07:05 PM

Democracy is the most horrendous form of government imaginable. What does the mob have to recommend itself? BTW, we don't live in a democracy and we never have. Thank God.

You appear to be confusing democracy with liberty. The latter is desirable. The former is not.

Pendragon
09-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Actually you are incorrect.

The United States is a blend of a republic and a democracy.

While it is true that we elect representatives to make policy decisions for us, there are scores of ballot initiatives in every election where the 'mobs' as you so crassly state decides upon matters of policy themselves.

So there you have it: the United States does qualify as a democracy.

Pendragon
09-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Furthermore that mob which you so despise selects our representatives.

Perhaps they are more content with their decisions than you are, outsider.

Mister D
09-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Actually you are incorrect.

The United States is a blend of a republic and a democracy.

While it is true that we elect representatives to make policy decisions for us, there are scores of ballot initiatives in every election where the 'mobs' as you so crassly state decides upon matters of policy themselves.

So there you have it: the United States does qualify as a democracy.

The US is a constitutional republic, Pen. It has never been anything but a constitutional republic. Yes, there are scores of ballot initiatives (activist (read leftist) courts routinely violate the will of the people, BTW) but so what? They are state matters and thus they are left to the states to decide.

Pendragon
09-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Perhaps your difficulty is with the nomenclature.

Let us begin with the basics.

How do you define a democracy?

Jimo
09-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Well, some states have ballot initiatives. But that's a feature of Federalism, not democracy.

Pendragon
09-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Well, some states have ballot initiatives. But that's a feature of Federalism, not democracy.

I would posit to you the same question then.

How do you define democracy?

Let us begin with that because perchance we operating under different assumptions.

Mister D
09-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Perhaps your difficulty is with the nomenclature.

Let us begin with the basics.

How do you define a democracy?

A democracy is the rule of the majority. Indeed, it is the tyranny of the majority.

Jimo
09-16-2011, 07:36 PM
In it's strictest sense, it's misused.

But that's inside baseball.

I prefer to deal with liberty or the lack thereof.

Mister D
09-16-2011, 07:39 PM
In it's strictest sense, it's misused.

But that's inside baseball.

I prefer to deal with liberty or the lack thereof.

Agreed. It's liberty that is of value. Not democracy which most of our founding fathers feared.

Pendragon
09-16-2011, 07:41 PM
I concur that our Founders feared democracy which is exactly why they would recoil in horror at ballot initiatives, which are not at only at a state level but also quite visible at more local levels of government.

Liberty is a worthy pursuit and quite valued by yours truly, but the author of the article originally cited mistook it for democracy.

Onward and upward!

Jimo
09-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I concur that our Founders feared democracy which is exactly why they would recoil in horror at ballot initiatives, which are not at only at a state level but also quite visible at more local levels of government.

Liberty is a worthy pursuit and quite valued by yours truly, but the author of the article originally cited mistook it for democracy.

Onward and upward!

So what? They revered Federalism, which supports the freedom to experiement at the state and local levels.

If you don't like what you city or state does, you can leave.

Nobody's liberty is taken away.

Pendragon
09-16-2011, 07:56 PM

Onward and upward!

So what? They revered Federalism, which supports the freedom to experiement at the state and local levels.

I have made no such claims.

Perhaps you have my writings confused with those of Mister D.

He appears to be rather miserable in his current surroundings, I daresay.

Jimo
09-16-2011, 07:59 PM
The founders would recoil in horror on cities and states being told by the Federal government how to govern themselves.

Conley
09-16-2011, 08:02 PM
The founders would recoil in horror on cities and states being told by the Federal government how to govern themselves.

Aint that the truth!

Jimo
09-16-2011, 08:14 PM
If you want to live someplace where your property taxes will drive you out of your home, leave California!

Conley
09-16-2011, 08:16 PM
If you want to live someplace where your property taxes will drive you out of your home, leave California!

Hey another CA person on here? Cool.

Conley
09-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Where in CA Jimo?

I am in Southern California -- near San Diego

Mister D
09-16-2011, 08:31 PM

Onward and upward!

I have made no such claims.

Perhaps you have my writings confused with those of Mister D.

He appears to be rather miserable in his current surroundings, I daresay.

We don't live in a democracy, Pen. We never did. The UK was never a democracy either.

Conley
09-16-2011, 10:28 PM
The masses voted in the Nazis and decided Coldplay was a good band.

Food for thought.

Just sayin'

Mister D
09-17-2011, 09:16 AM
The masses voted in the Nazis and decided Coldplay was a good band.

Food for thought.

Just sayin'

True dat.