PDA

View Full Version : Who Is On The Supercommitee

Conley
09-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Twelve lawmakers. More than $1 trillion to shave off the deficit. One Thanksgiving deadline. Can they do it?

The debt-ceiling deal struck earlier this summer created a panel of six Republicans and six Democrats — dubbed the "supercommittee" — to find ways to reduce the deficit. If they can't, "sequestration" — a slew of automatic spending cuts — kicks in. While there are high hopes in Washington for the committee's success, skeptics have trouble seeing how the chosen lawmakers will navigate around the main sticking points: Democrats seem set on protecting Medicare and Medicaid and see increasing revenues as essential. Republicans would prefer to lower taxes if anything and want to make cuts to the big entitlement programs. NPR Senior Washington Editor Ron Elving assesses the members, what they bring to the table and how they voted on the final debt-ceiling deal.

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/17/139725228/how-super-is-the-deficit-cutting-committee

There is a handy chart there for seeing the twelve and where they stand.

Mister D
09-17-2011, 10:12 AM
:D This guy in the comments section is pretty funny.

--------

Actually, cutting the deficit should be pretty easy. Here's where they need to cut as well as how much:

Department of State - 50%
Department of the Treasury - 25%
Department of Justice - 25%
Department of Defense - 25%
Department of Agriculture - 100%
Department of Commerce - 100%
Department of Education - 100%
Department of Energy - 100%
Department of Health and Human Services - 100%
Department of Homeland Security - 100%
Department of Housing and Urban Development - 100%
Department of the Interior - 100%
Department of Labor - 100%
Department of Transportation - 100%
Department of Veterans Affairs - 100%

----

Give 'em all razor sharp machetes, lock 'em in a totally dark room and let 'em cut to their hearts' content. When they open the door, whoever is left alive to walk out is the winner.

And don't worry. They've all got the best free health insurance our money can buy.

Conley
09-17-2011, 10:16 AM
:rofl:

That's rich...thanks for finding those gems!

MMC
09-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Well I would go with the US Marshall's Office, Dept of Homeland Security, Dept of Education, I would go after the Dept of the SOS and get rid of Special Envoys. I would Centralize US Embassies based on the Regions of the Planet. Staff would be cut and Ambassadors would have to do their job and be acting as Diplomats and not Hosts and or Hostesses for parties and whatnot.

What about you guys?

Conley
09-17-2011, 01:28 PM
You would keep DHS?

That's one of the first things I'd cut. We need things more streamlined imo, not more departments with redundancy. It's data overload and the important stuff can get buried that way.

MMC
09-17-2011, 01:40 PM
You would keep DHS?

That's one of the first things I'd cut. We need things more streamlined imo, not more departments with redundancy. It's data overload and the important stuff can get buried that way.

Not me.....I would wipe it out completely. Thats What NSA is for anyways. There was no need to create another expansion of Federal Government.

Conley
09-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Oh, when you said : "Well I would go with the US Marshall's Office, Dept of Homeland Security, Dept of Education, I would go after the Dept of the SOS and get rid of Special Envoys."

I thought you meant you would keep the Marshalls, DHS and Education

MMC
09-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Oh, when you said : "Well I would go with the US Marshall's Office, Dept of Homeland Security, Dept of Education, I would go after the Dept of the SOS and get rid of Special Envoys."

Yeah, I meant I would go with getting rid of rid of such.

Conley
09-17-2011, 09:07 PM

You don't want the U.S. Marshals around any more?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518BDZ6VM1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

MMC
09-17-2011, 09:55 PM

You don't want the U.S. Marshals around any more?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518BDZ6VM1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nah.....no need for them. We got the FBI, and we have Security that can move prisoners from state to state. Plus there are Private Bounty hunters and All other forms of Law Enforcement.

Conley
09-18-2011, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't trust bounty hunters or private business for that stuff and I think the FBI is over qualified. Still there could probably be a solution found within an already existing govt department.

MMC
09-18-2011, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't trust bounty hunters or private business for that stuff and I think the FBI is over qualified. Still there could probably be a solution found within an already existing govt department.

Yep.....their Called Correctional Officers and they are Supplied by the State. ;)

Conley
09-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Yep.....their Called Correctional Officers and they are Supplied by the State. ;)

Then Do It To It!