PDA

View Full Version : Police shooting study- race matters

Peter1469
04-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Police shooting study (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2016/04/27/this-study-found-race-matters-in-police-shootings-but-the-results-may-surprise-you/)- race matters- but the results will surprise you.

Turns out officers were more likely to shoot unarmed whites than blacks. (I think the unarmed part is important for the study).

The conventional thinking about police-involved shootings, and some scientific research, has been that black suspects are more likely to be shot than white suspects because of an implicit racial bias among police officers. But now a new study has found exactly the opposite: even with white officers who do have racial biases, officers are three timesless likely to shoot unarmed black suspects than unarmed white suspects.

The results come from a laboratory project at Washington State University using highly realistic police simulators, in which actors in various scenarios approach and respond to officers on large, high-definition video screens in an attempt to recreate critical situations on the street. The officers are equipped with real guns, modified to fire infrared beams rather than bullets, and the scenarios can branch into conflict or cooperation, depending on the officers’ words and actions.

It’s the third time researchers at Washington State — Lois James, Stephen M. James and Bryan J. Vila — have set up simulations to monitor the differing reactions of police when confronted by white or black suspects. And all three times, they found that officers took significantly more time to fire their weapons if the subject was black, according to their latest report, “The Reverse Racism Effect,” to be published in the journal Criminology & Public Policy.

It’s a complex subject, dating back to a 1974 study which concluded that “the police have one trigger finger for whites and another for blacks.” A 1978 report found that 60 percent of black suspects shot by the police carried handguns, compared with 35 percent of white suspects. In 2001, a statistical study showed that black people comprised 12 percent of the population but committed 43 percent of the killings of officers.

But there has also been a contrary narrative, that officers are hesitant to fire at black suspects, starting with a 1977 analysis of reports from major metropolitan departments which found officers fired more shots at white suspects than at black suspects, possibly because of “public sentiment concerning treatment of blacks.” And in 2004, David Klinger at the University of Missouri-St. Louis interviewed more than 100 officers and found “evidence of increased wariness about using deadly force against black suspects for fear of how it would be perceived and the associated consequences.”

Cigar
04-27-2016, 08:08 PM
:rollseyes: So when does The WLM March start.

If you're looking for sympathy on this Fourm ... I think it's on Sunday's between 6:00AM and 6:01AM

Peter1469
04-27-2016, 08:13 PM
:rollseyes: So when does The WLM March start.

If you're looking for sympathy on this Fourm ... I think it's on Sunday's between 6:00AM and 6:01AM

What is sympathy?

Mister D
04-27-2016, 08:14 PM
Police shooting study (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2016/04/27/this-study-found-race-matters-in-police-shootings-but-the-results-may-surprise-you/)- race matters- but the results will surprise you.

Turns out officers were more likely to shoot unarmed whites than blacks. (I think the unarmed part is important for the study).

This cannot be true, Peter. Thousands of unarmed black men are killed everyday by the police.

Mister D
04-27-2016, 08:14 PM
What is sympathy?

Your point was lost on him but that should not surprise you. He has a tendency to project his motivation on others.

valley ranch
04-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Sympathy? Hell no, Respect and Appreciation. All you have and have "worked" for has been given you, you struggled no more that the white people you hate an rant against.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being a Police Officer today is like being a GI where the Rules of Engagement are stacked against you. Being a White Police Officer is like being in hell with the devil as your employer.

Maybe things will change when it's no longer profitable, doing their deeds.

Cigar
04-28-2016, 07:17 AM
What is sympathy?

I'll make a deal, I'll care as much about White Lives as anyone here cares about Black Lives ... Deal?

Peter1469
04-28-2016, 07:18 AM
I'll make a deal, I'll care as much about White Lives as anyone here cares about Black Lives ... Deal?

fine with me

Cigar
04-28-2016, 07:18 AM
Your point was lost on him but that should not surprise you. He has a tendency to project his motivation on others.

Unlike you, I don't feel I need to project anything.

Cthulhu
04-28-2016, 07:26 AM
Don't make bargains you are utterly incapable of delivering on.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.