PDA

View Full Version : Conservative Foreign Policy Expert Vents - "If I lose Friends Over Trump, So be It"

Mark III
04-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Tom Nichols is a professor of national security affairs at the U.S. Naval War College and an adjunct professor in the Harvard Extension School.

The Trump campaign is a test of character, and many Americans are failing it.

Put another way, if my opposition to Trump is going to cost me friends, then all I can say is: So be it.

"...Trump’s candidacy isn’t really about politics, which is why it divides people so deeply. Trump and his views are ghastly in a way that goes beyond politics. They challenge our human decency and patriotism. That’s why they test not only our political associations but our friendships.

A Rant Is Not a Policy
Yes, fellow conservatives: Trump is worse than Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. Their policies are liberal, even leftist, often motivated by cheap politics, ego, and political grandstanding. But they are policies, understandable as such and opposable by political means.

Trump’s various rants, by contrast, do not amount to policies. They are ignorant tone poems, bad haikus, streams of words whose content has no real meaning. They’re not positions available either to the GOP or Democrats, because they do not contain a vision of the future over which those parties can fight.

In fact, Trump’s policies are not policies. They’re just feverish revenge fantasies. Trump, a scam artist whose entire career has been based on victimizing the working class, should be the target of that anger. Instead, he is encouraging Americans to turn their hostility away from him and against their fellow citizens, inviting us into a war of all against all over which he will preside as an amused dictator....."

Of course, there is much more ..... http://thefederalist.com/2016/04/26/if-i-lose-friends-over-trump-so-be-it/

Mark III
04-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Top notch critique of the Trump phenomena.

Cigar
04-28-2016, 12:31 PM
They are going to ride this Mule all the way to a Historic Ass-Kicking :laugh:

... and to another Clinton. :wink:

Peter1469
04-28-2016, 12:32 PM
I said the Neocons were going to attack Trump over the speech. Still no substantive claims. I expect none in their thread either.

Mark III
04-28-2016, 01:29 PM
I said the Neocons were going to attack Trump over the speech. Still no substantive claims. I expect none in their thread either.

Trump is clearly monumentally unqualified to be president of the United States. Why do you either support or tolerate such a person in the midst of our national issues?

Article after article is written that describe Trump in the most uncomplimentary terms, far beyond what anyone applies to Clinton, and yet people like you go merrily along pretending nothing is happening. Why?

The Xl
04-28-2016, 01:30 PM
More desperate nonsense.

Mark III
04-28-2016, 01:33 PM
from the consrvative site, RedState

"Trump is not capable of acting in a way a sentient person would describe as “presidential.” He is a misogynist and could be described as having pedophilic (http://www.redstate.com/streiff/2016/04/06/video-creepy.-creepy.-creepy.-donald-trump-discusses-infant-daughters-breasts/) orephebophilic (http://www.redstate.com/neil_stevens/2016/01/31/must-see-donald-trumps-character-distilled-one-photo/) or incestuous (http://www.mediaite.com/online/donald-trump-wont-stop-joking-about-banging-his-daughter/) tendencies:

http://www.redstate.com/uploads/2016/04/pedo-trump.png (http://www.redstate.com/uploads/2016/04/pedo-trump.png)
He is ruthless and immoral. He has no scruples about defrauding business associates and customer, like, for instance, Trump University students. But what distinguishes Trump from a Borgia Pope is that he is crude and boorish and his high priced education has had no apparent effect. He has no intellectual curiosity and no apparent ability to master even the most mundane ideas. He is so grotesque that he has made Hillary Clinton seem like an inspired choice for president. In short, he is a powerful buffoon. And such a man should never be allowed to hold any position that requires impulse control and planning."

http://www.redstate.com/streiff/2016/04/27/donald-trump-paul-manafort-acting.-really-crude-ill-bred-uncouth-dimwit/

Mark III
04-28-2016, 01:36 PM
More desperate nonsense.

Well, I am not a conservative of course, but I will value the opinion of a professor at the Naval War College, and Harvard University, who is extremely well spoken, over your two or three sentences , all day every day.

Green Arrow
04-28-2016, 02:54 PM
If these conservative foreign policy experts advocate neocon foreign policy, I'm uninterested in any criticism of foreign policy they have.

suds00
04-28-2016, 03:00 PM
I said the Neocons were going to attack Trump over the speech. Still no substantive claims. I expect none in their thread either.he didn't write the speech and was uncomfortable reading it.i wonder how long he can last as a respectable candidate.he longs to be outrageous;not presidential

Peter1469
04-28-2016, 05:19 PM
Trump is clearly monumentally unqualified to be president of the United States. Why do you either support or tolerate such a person in the midst of our national issues?

Article after article is written that describe Trump in the most uncomplimentary terms, far beyond what anyone applies to Clinton, and yet people like you go merrily along pretending nothing is happening. Why?

I have not supported Trump. Because in the past a lot of his responses have been rambling bull shit.

But if he keeps up like this speech on foreign policy he might earn my vote.

I am highly skeptical of the intelligence of all these people emoting about what Trump said. For the most part he seems to return to typical US foreign policy (i.e. before the Neocons took over in the 1990s).

Peter1469
04-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Well, I am not a conservative of course, but I will value the opinion of a professor at the Naval War College, and Harvard University, who is extremely well spoken, over your two or three sentences , all day every day.

You forgot to quote the substantive criticisms of the speech. You have shown us what I said yesterday: the Neocons are frantic.

Peter1469
04-28-2016, 05:22 PM
he didn't write the speech and was uncomfortable reading it.i wonder how long he can last as a respectable candidate.he longs to be outrageous;not presidential

I bet Obama never wrote a single speech that he gave.

AZ Jim
04-28-2016, 05:22 PM
I said the Neocons were going to attack Trump over the speech. Still no substantive claims. I expect none in their thread either.You are like a lemming.

del
04-28-2016, 05:23 PM
pretty funny fucking hilarious to watch a hillary rumpswab rant about character

Peter1469
04-28-2016, 06:04 PM
You are like a lemming.

You are like a bucket carrier.

Waiting on specific concerns about what Trump said. I already know what you feel about it. No need to rehash that drama.

MisterVeritis
04-28-2016, 06:08 PM
How many primary contests has he won?

Trump is in the contest and he is winning. The fool you quoted should have kept his criticisms to himself.

Subdermal
04-28-2016, 07:58 PM

Until the moment they utter something Conservative, at which point you'll pretend you never acknowledged their right to breathe.

Of course.

Ethereal
04-28-2016, 08:05 PM
I doubt there is anyway Trump's foreign policy can be more aggressive and interventionist than Obama and Clinton's.

Since Obama has been in office, they've expanded the war on terror so that it has virtually no legal or practical limitations.

They will bomb or assassinate anyone, anywhere, at anytime, including US citizens, and they will do this without any transparency whatsoever.

And they haven't been the least bit shy about overthrowing government after government, and bombing country after country, and supporting any militant rabble with their hands out.

As a result, our relations with Russia and China have deteriorated significantly and virtually all the progress we made in ending the Cold War has been erased in eight years.

So I don't see how Trump can do any worse than that.

Peter1469
04-28-2016, 08:14 PM
The speech was highly influenced by realist principles. Nation-states are the basis of the international system. All nation-states act in their own self interest. Other parts depart from realism, but at least don't drift into Neocon insanity.

If he is elected and acts as this speech indicates, America will be great on the world stage.

Necons will slash their wrists and wail like women. Liberals will look with their eyes wide with no understanding of what is going on.

But America will be back on top.