PDA

View Full Version : GOP-led Committee Votes to Require That Women Register for Draft......

MMC
05-02-2016, 05:30 AM
The Full House will vote on the measure next month. So what do you think, should women have to register with Selective Service? If there is a need to draft, should women be drafted? What say ye?

A divided Armed Services Committee backed the provision in a sweeping defense policy bill that the full House will consider next month, touching off a provocative debate about the role of women in the military. […]

The United States has not had a military draft since 1973 in the Vietnam War era, but all men must register with the Selective Service Systems within 30 days of turning 18. Military leaders maintain that the all-volunteer force is working and the nation is not returning to the draft.

When all was said and done the bill passed the GOP-led committee, 32-30. Five Republicans joined Democrats in supporting the measure......snip~

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2016/04/30/gopled-committee-votes-to-require-that-women-register-for-draft-n2155691

stjames1_53
05-02-2016, 05:42 AM
well. first you have to reinstate the draft............
Women? Well draft not so much. However, they can enlist voluntarily for combat duty.

Green Arrow
05-02-2016, 05:42 AM
I agree with it.

Common
05-02-2016, 06:05 AM
HELL NO!!!!!! this country is gone mad. Do we not have any respect for women anymore. What happened to the days when we put pregnant women on a pedestal and men would fall down and break their necks to grab a package out of her hands and carry it for her. Now we want them in combat and get drafted. All this crap is not equality, to be equal you have to be the same. When men have babies and have to nurture babies then we will be equal. SENDING WOMEN TO WAR IS NOT EQUALITY its insanity.

stjames1_53
05-02-2016, 06:15 AM
I said, "volunteer"..............what part of that did you miss?

hanger4
05-02-2016, 06:17 AM
I'm for it and agin it. Not a prob with the sign up, equality requires responsibility. Still don't much care for combat rolls.

BTW was-up Common

Common
05-02-2016, 06:31 AM
When I was a kid there was a saying, if you dont have any respect for your mother then you cant have any respect for anyone else. I believe thats true. I am against sending women into combat zones and their young kids are left alone without their mothers. Yeah Yeah I know they volunteered, most volunteered so they could feed their family and have a job with BENEFITS. If the economy was good and the middleclass healthy and working, they would have to re institute the draft. I am fully against it and if it came to it I would pay to send all my grandkids to canada.

stjames1_53
05-02-2016, 06:35 AM
so, even though women want to be treated the same as men, you would deny that?
families go without fathers as a result of war.
It sounds like you think of women as breeders.

Quicksilver
05-02-2016, 06:39 AM
I have no problem with women registering..

Common
05-02-2016, 06:52 AM
I said, "volunteer"..............what part of that did you miss?

The Full House will vote on the measure next month. So what do you think, should women have to register with Selective Service? If there is a need to draft, should women be drafted? What say ye?

Im starting to think youre a flake

MMC
05-02-2016, 07:05 AM
They should have gave the names of the 5 Repubs that voted with the Demos on the measure. Don't ya think?

Common
05-02-2016, 07:06 AM

Fathers are expendable mothers are not

stjames1_53
05-02-2016, 07:07 AM
women have served in combat for many years. Some countries have done this like forever...Israel is one of them.
I'd rather move to an island than fight some of those Israeli female soldiers.............

stjames1_53
05-02-2016, 07:09 AM

says who? it is merely your opinion.........fathers are not any more expendable than a woman that wants to serve in combat.

Common
05-02-2016, 07:21 AM
They should have gave the names of the 5 Repubs that voted with the Demos on the measure. Don't ya think?

Whether its republican or democrat doesnt matter to me. All opinions on things dont have to be politically motivated at least mine arent. I didnt give a thought to gop or democrat when I made my response.

Cigar
05-02-2016, 07:27 AM
Boy did that backfire on The GOP :laugh:

Subdermal
05-02-2016, 07:32 AM

Yes, 'women' deserve to have to be drafted, what with the push for total equality with men. But there are two problems with it:

1. Not all women endorse this feminist idiocy;

2. Having women serve in active combat means that they're endangering more than their own lives. They're endangering the mission, and fellow soldiers.

Women are not equally capable of the same things as men. It's about time society rejects the clowns who think otherwise.

MMC
05-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Whether its republican or democrat doesnt matter to me. All opinions on things dont have to be politically motivated at least mine arent. I didnt give a thought to gop or democrat when I made my response.

Well the Demos were all for it.....so it would be interesting to see which Repubs crossed over. As we have an idea which Repub Senators will run over and hold hands with the Demos on this.

At least they narrowed it down to those on the Armed Services Committee.

Crepitus
05-02-2016, 07:48 AM

A divided Armed Services Committee backed the provision in a sweeping defense policy bill that the full House will consider next month, touching off a provocative debate about the role of women in the military. […]

The United States has not had a military draft since 1973 in the Vietnam War era, but all men must register with the Selective Service Systems within 30 days of turning 18. Military leaders maintain that the all-volunteer force is working and the nation is not returning to the draft.

When all was said and done the bill passed the GOP-led committee, 32-30. Five Republicans joined Democrats in supporting the measure......snip~

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2016/04/30/gopled-committee-votes-to-require-that-women-register-for-draft-n2155691
Equal rights. sign 'em up.

Crepitus
05-02-2016, 07:49 AM
Yes, 'women' deserve to have to be drafted, what with the push for total equality with men. But there are two problems with it:

2. Having women serve in active combat means that they're endangering more than their own lives. They're endangering the mission, and fellow soldiers.

Women are not equally capable of the same things as men. It's about time society rejects the clowns who think otherwise.
Even if they aren't capable of field combat they can take on rolls that would free up men who are.

Subdermal
05-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Even if they aren't capable of field combat they can take on rolls that would free up men who are.

What makes you think that policies which to date have not demonstrated much sanity on the matter would suddenly employ common sense then?

Crepitus
05-02-2016, 07:54 AM
What makes you think that policies which to date have not demonstrated much sanity on the matter would suddenly employ common sense then?
Point.

MMC
05-02-2016, 08:11 AM

Fatherless children are 20 times more likely to go to prison and 50 times more likely to end up on drugs. Which is the most used stat that any Father's Rights attorneys cite concerning children growing up fatherless. Then they get into dropping out of school and a host of other problems that come from a Father not being there.

stjames1_53
05-02-2016, 08:13 AM

they demand they are to be treated equally. Those that raise their voices the highest can serve. Not everyone that enlists sees active combat, so their chances of actually being in combat is rather small.
I still stand by this: If they enlist, let them choose. If they want combat, then give it to them. the others can man support ops.
I wonder how many women serve in the drone program as pilots.....isn't that combat of sorts?

Subdermal
05-02-2016, 08:30 AM
they demand they are to be treated equally. Those that raise their voices the highest can serve. Not everyone that enlists sees active combat, so their chances of actually being in combat is rather small.
I still stand by this: If they enlist, let them choose. If they want combat, then give it to them. the others can man support ops.
I wonder how many women serve in the drone program as pilots.....isn't that combat of sorts?

I'm not worried about the ones who enlist - at least to the extent to which we acknowledge their exercise of free will.

I am worried about those around them that they affect, if they prove not capable of protecting their fellow soldier if seeing action.

What I'm mainly worried about the stupidity of a mandatory draft, a monumentally stupid and destructive policy which would directly affect my daughters, neither of whom agree with or support the pure anarchism of the militant feminist/globalist movement behind this effort.

Quicksilver
05-02-2016, 08:35 AM
I've always thought women to be in a disadvantage to men by not being drafted. There are plenty of areas they could serve without sending a 110 pound female into combat. Men grow up in the military, and develop a camaraderie to other males that women lack towards other females. It certainly wouldn't hurt girls to have to donate a year or two toward service to their country.. That is provided the draft were reinstated.. which I don't think will happen. This entire thing is merely symbolic and rhetorical.

MMC
05-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Equal rights. sign 'em up.

I'm with you on that.....got a clipboard? :laugh:

stjames1_53
05-02-2016, 08:37 AM
I believe the draft has never really been needed. WWI and II had all the volunteers they could use, and them some.
I, too, am bothered by the draft after serving in 'Nam. The Korean Peace keeping mission was a farce.......
If the president cannot make a good case for volunteering, then it is a measure of the willingness for Americans to become involved in another police action for the UN.

MMC
05-02-2016, 08:45 AM
I doubt a draft will be needed unless there is some invasion. Otherwise, its just making sure all men and women will be treated equal on the matter and they get another list of names and where people are at.

There is an upside.....the trangendered wont be able to get out of Registering. Just sayin.

Tahuyaman
05-02-2016, 08:55 AM

If one truly believes in equality, why not? If you require young men to register, why not young women too?

stjames1_53
05-02-2016, 09:02 AM
I doubt a draft will be needed unless there is some invasion. Otherwise, its just making sure all men and women will be treated equal on the matter and they get another list of names and where people are at.

There is an upside.....the trangendered wont be able to get out of Registering. Just sayin.

if there is any invasion of US soil, there's a gun behind every bush and tree.......

MMC
05-02-2016, 09:16 AM
if there is any invasion of US soil, there's a gun behind every bush and tree.......

That's true, and I know some sistas that wont hesitate to pop a cap off into somebody's ass.

nathanbforrest45
05-02-2016, 11:50 AM

If men and women can pee in the same bathroom at the same time then yes they should share in the defense of this country. We are constantly told women and men should be equal, how is requiring men to go in harms way but treating women like brood mares equality?

MMC
05-02-2016, 03:28 PM
If men and women can pee in the same bathroom at the same time then yes they should share in the defense of this country. We are constantly told women and men should be equal, how is requiring men to go in harms way but treating women like brood mares equality?

Exactly.....and like I mentioned. There is no out for the Transgendered and the LGBT Community. No special treatment for the lil special people.

Which means they will have to put their ass on the line like everybody else. Now that should give them something to think about as to why they aren't special.

Peter1469
05-02-2016, 04:28 PM
women have served in combat for many years. Some countries have done this like forever...Israel is one of them.
I'd rather move to an island than fight some of those Israeli female soldiers.............

Israel ended its experiment with women in combat units.

stjames1_53
05-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Israel ended its experiment with women in combat units.

still hate the idea of going up against one of those ex-warrior women...they are still around....lol

waltky
06-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Air Force Secretary Supports erasing gender restrictions from Selective Service...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/salute.gif
Air Force Secretary Supports Draft Registration for Women
Jun 04, 2016 | The Senate is scheduled to consider next week a draft registration requirement for women.

The Air Force's top civilian official said Friday she supports requiring young women to register for a potential military draft as Congress heads toward a divisive debate over whether to erase gender restrictions from Selective Service. Air Force Secretary Deborah James said there's no reason women shouldn't have to sign up just as men between the ages of 18 and 25 do. Women have never before been required to register in the United States and including them in a draft pool has outraged social conservatives. "My opinion as an American is that we should have a Selective Service," James said during the taping of an interview for C-SPAN's "Newsmakers" program. "It's an insurance policy for the United States and I think women should register just as I think young men should register."

http://images.military.com/media/global/newscred/frank-kendall-deborah-lee-james-04-jun-2016-ts600.jpeg
Air Force Secretary Deborah James, right, testifies during a Jan. 27 congressional hearing

The annual defense policy bill the Senate is scheduled to consider next week includes a draft registration requirement for women. The provision calls for females to sign up with the Selective Service within 30 days of turning 18 -- just as men do -- beginning in January 2018. Sens. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and Mike Lee, R-Utah, said they will fight to have the provision removed from the bill. They said far more research is required before such a significant change is made.

Republicans stripped a provision requiring women to register from the House's version of the defense policy bill. They replaced it with a measure to study whether the Selective Service is even needed at a time when the armed forces get plenty of qualified volunteers, making the possibility of a draft remote. However, opponents of expanding the draft may be unable to halt the momentum in favor of lifting the exclusion, which was triggered by the Pentagon's decision late last year to open all front-line combat jobs to women. After gender restrictions to military service were erased, the top uniformed officers in each of the military branches expressed support during congressional testimony for including women in a potential draft.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/06/04/air-force-secretary-supports-draft-registration-women.html

Captain Obvious
06-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Women wanted equality.

Congrats, you got it.

Crepitus
06-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Why?

Captain Obvious
06-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Why?

One dude can impregnate dozens of women.

Visit Chicago.

donttread
06-05-2016, 07:06 AM

I feel the draft is unnecessary slavery and the Selective Service should be abolished. But until that happens the federal government that enforces non discrimination laws on everyone else needs to practice what they preach. I think the press should cover all the caskets coming home from war and if America won't stand and say no more while watching their sons come home in body bags they just might if saw their daughters coming home in them

Peter1469
06-05-2016, 07:56 AM
Why?

He was talking about a civilized society as opposed to barbarians or stone age dead-enders.

waltky
06-14-2016, 12:11 AM
Congress still undecided about Women in the Draft...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
Congress Still Sending Mixed Signals on Women in the Draft
Jun 13, 2016 | WASHINGTON -- Despite key votes in Congress, it remained unclear Friday whether the United States is closer to a historic move requiring women to register for the military draft.

The Senate was wrapping up an annual defense bill that calls for opening the Selective Service to women despite opposition from some conservative lawmakers. Meanwhile, the House reached an opposite outcome in May when Republicans successfully blocked a measure integrating the draft. Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle cried foul, claiming the issue did not get adequate debate. Now, as Congress pushes ahead with its annual defense budget, the House and Senate face brokering a compromise between lawmakers who are deeply divided over requiring women between 18-25 years old to register with Selective Service -- and potentially forcing them to the front lines of future wars. "I am the father of two daughters. Women can do anything they put their minds to ... But the idea that we should forcibly conscript young girls into combat to my mind makes little to no sense," said Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas. "I could not vote for a bill that did so, particularly a bill that did so without public debate."

Cruz was among conservatives who rallied around a proposal by Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, to strip the draft language from the National Defense Authorization Act in the Senate. But lawmakers never got to weigh in. Senators agreed Friday to move forward on the massive $602-billion military policy bill without considering Lee's change. His staff said there was virtually no chance it would receive a vote. The defense policy bill was expected to be passed by the Senate as early as Tuesday. The chamber's push to open the draft is backed by many Democrats as well as Republicans.

http://images.military.com/media/people/marine-female-recruit-804-ts600.jpg
A Marine Corps drill Instructor commands a recruit to run in place during a function in Van Nuys, California

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, chairman of the Armed Services Committee, cited wide support within the military for the change and said women senators on his committee believe it would be a step toward equality. "The fact is that every single military leader in this country, both men and women members of the uniformed military leadership of this country, believe that it is simply fair," McCain said. Military brass began to weigh in on the draft issue earlier this year after the Defense Department moved to fully integrated women into all combat roles. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter ordered 225,000 all-male positions -- the last that excluded women -- would be open to female troops.

In February, Marine Commandant Gen. Robert Neller and Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley said there is no longer justification for exempting women from the Selective Service and other military leaders have since voiced the same conclusion. All eligible men between 18-25 years old must register for the draft. But the House slammed the breaks on draft integration last month with its version of the annual defense budget bill.

MORE (http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/06/13/congress-still-sending-mixed-signals-on-women-in-the-draft.html)

See also:

With Women in Combat, Taking the 'Man' Out of Job Titles
Jun 09, 2016 — Engineman? Yeoman? Not so fast. Now that women will be allowed to serve in all combat jobs, the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps are dropping "man" from some of their job titles to make them inclusive and gender-neutral.

Much like the term "fireman" has evolved to "firefighter" and "policeman" to "police officer," an engineman could be called an engine technician and a yeoman could be called an administrative specialist. "This is one more step in how our force has changed," Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus said in an interview Friday. "Our force has evolved, our force is different. And I believe it's stronger and better." Some Army and Air Force titles end in "man," too, but the services aren't considering changing them. The names are historically significant, and the focus now is on bringing women into the jobs rather than on what to call them, both services said. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter ordered the military in December to open all military jobs to women, including the Marine Corps and special operations forces like Navy SEALs and Army Green Berets.

During a visit to Newport, Rhode Island, in late May, Carter was asked by The Associated Press whether job titles that end in "man" should change throughout the military. Carter spoke about the benefits of opening jobs to women to make "full use of the wonderful talents of half of the population of the country." "Signifying that in all appropriate ways is, I think, exactly that, very appropriate and needed," he said. Carter said that he didn't offhand have a good alternative for titles that were stripped of "man," but that someone smart was going to figure it out. Mabus called in January for a review of Navy and Marine titles. There are nearly two dozen in the Navy that end in "man" and roughly a dozen in the Marines.

http://images.military.com/media/news/people/female-recruits-parris-isla-ts600.jpg
Female recruits stand at the Marine Corps Training Depot on Parris Island, S.C.

Mabus said he wants titles that more accurately convey who is doing the job and what the job is. "In the overall scheme, it's a small thing, but I think it's important because it's what sailors and Marines call each other, and words do matter," he said. Mabus, who is reviewing the services' recommendations now, said the Navy and Marines will announce changes this summer. Some iconic titles will stay the same, and others will change to make the jobs easier to understand outside of the military, which will help when sailors and Marines are looking for civilian jobs, he added.

For example, few civilians know what a hospital corpsman does, Mabus said. A corpsman could be called a medic or an emergency medical technician, much like "messman" was previously changed to culinary specialist, he added. A female yeoman told a senior Navy official that "administrative specialist" would be a better title than yeoman, Mabus said. Lory Manning, a retired Navy captain, said that there are fairly easy substitutes for many of the titles, and that they should be brought up to date. "It's time for us to let go of telling women, 'You're just included. We don't call you out by sex, but just know you're part of mankind,'" said Manning, a senior fellow at the Service Women's Action Network. "When you hear that 'man' at the end, the image is a male image."

MORE (http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/06/09/women-combat-taking-man-job-titles.html)

gamewell45
06-14-2016, 12:31 AM
I feel the draft is unnecessary slavery and the Selective Service should be abolished. But until that happens the federal government that enforces non discrimination laws on everyone else needs to practice what they preach. I think the press should cover all the caskets coming home from war and if America won't stand and say no more while watching their sons come home in body bags they just might if saw their daughters coming home in them

Makes no difference whether its your son or daughter, a death is just that, a death.

Peter1469
06-14-2016, 04:52 AM
Only barbarians send their daughters off to war.

birddog
06-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Women should not have to register for the draft, nor should they be in a ground-type combat role. Period!

My wife, who is a Veteran, agrees.

Common
06-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Men and women are not the same, if they were the same then men would be giving birth. Women are not physically the same as men.

Let me try and explain this reasonably so it can be understood.

Boxing: Men 225 lbs do not fight men 145 lbs, there are weight class', those weight class's are established because the old saying in boxing is A GOOD big man will beat a GOOD littleman everyday.

Women are not as strong as men PERIOD there are exceptions but they are far and few in between. There are women that are MMA trained, they are few.

There are a "FEW" women that have the mindset and want to be in combat. Out of those women only a "FEW" actually make the grade.

Now this country wants to DRAFT all women those that are inclined to want to be in the military or NOT. This is what I was afraid all this push for women to do men everything was going to lead too.

So girls that grow up feminine and actually females that are not into playing football, basketball and mixed martial arts are going to be "FORCED" into the military.

The rich and Influential will always find a way for their daughters not to serve the same as they do thier sons.

I couldnt put into words how deeply I am against this. I will give all I have to my grandaughters and great grandaughters to avoid this nightmare they want to create. This country is cracked.

donttread
06-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Makes no difference whether its your son or daughter, a death is just that, a death.

Agree, been there. But to the public it might hit home

donttread
06-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Men and women are not the same, if they were the same then men would be giving birth. Women are not physically the same as men.

Let me try and explain this reasonably so it can be understood.

Boxing: Men 225 lbs do not fight men 145 lbs, there are weight class', those weight class's are established because the old saying in boxing is A GOOD big man will beat a GOOD littleman everyday.

Women are not as strong as men PERIOD there are exceptions but they are far and few in between. There are women that are MMA trained, they are few.

There are a "FEW" women that have the mindset and want to be in combat. Out of those women only a "FEW" actually make the grade.

Now this country wants to DRAFT all women those that are inclined to want to be in the military or NOT. This is what I was afraid all this push for women to do men everything was going to lead too.

So girls that grow up feminine and actually females that are not into playing football, basketball and mixed martial arts are going to be "FORCED" into the military.

The rich and Influential will always find a way for their daughters not to serve the same as they do thier sons.

I couldnt put into words how deeply I am against this. I will give all I have to my grandaughters and great grandaughters to avoid this nightmare they want to create. This country is cracked.

The SS is straight up registery for slavery and even at that it is blatantly sexist. Either abosih SS altogether or include women in the mix.

The Xl
06-14-2016, 12:36 PM
The draft should be abolished for both genders. Doesn't matter anyway, good luck getting a generation entitled like no other before and informed like no generation before to fight some nonsensical war. It would be Vietnam times a million.

waltky
06-19-2016, 11:16 PM
Allowing Peace Corp service to count towards draft...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/oldicons/icon17.gif
Sebastian Junger's Draft Proposal: Service with Non-Military Options
Jun 18, 2016 | For American service members, coming back from war can be its own form of psychological trauma. That's a theory advanced by acclaimed author and war journalist Sebastian Junger in his recently published book, "Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging."

Best known as the co-creator of gritty Afghanistan war documentaries "Restrepo" and "Korengal" and author of the book, "A Perfect Storm," Junger argues in "Tribe" that the military community thrives amid trauma and danger, but tends to become lost in the relative peace and security of our stratified modern society. When troops leave their tight-knit community, Junger writes, they often feel isolated and detached, reporting a form of reentry trauma that he argues is frequently misidentified as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

http://images.military.com/media/people/jfk.jpg
President Kennedy greets Peace Corps workers in 1961. Junger argues that mandatory national service with military and non-military options could build a more cohesive society.

Junger avoids proposing a comprehensive solution to the problem he presents in "Tribe." But he told Military.com in an interview this month that one possible way to build a more cohesive society might be to create a different kind of draft: one in which some form of national service is mandatory for all eligible citizens, but the military is only one of several service choices, along with options like the Peace Corps and urban improvement projects. "I think it's a shame that the only way to serve your country is with a gun," Junger said. "I think mandatory national service would throw every component of society into a pot together and stir it up, black, white, poor … everybody goes in there. And it would give young people a very valuable lesson that they're actually part of this incredible experiment."

Here are more questions and answers from the Military.com interview: (http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/06/18/sebastian-junger-draft-proposal-service-with-military-option.html)

waltky
07-08-2016, 11:01 AM
House says women won't have to register for the draft...
House Approves Measure to Bar Women from Draft Registration
WASHINGTON — The Republican-led House backed a measure that seeks to bar women from being required to register for a potential military draft.

The Republican-led House backed a measure Thursday that seeks to bar women from being required to register for a potential military draft, a victory for social conservatives who fear that forcing females to sign up is another step toward the blurring of gender lines. By a vote of 217 to 203, lawmakers approved an amendment that would block the Selective Service System from using any money to alter draft registration requirements that currently apply only to men between the ages of 18 and 25. The amendment, sponsored by Rep. Warren Davidson, R-Ohio, was added to a financial services spending bill. The House also approved an amendment by Rep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., that would block any money in the bill from being used for sanctuary cities, a term for jurisdictions that resist turning over immigrants to federal authorities.

Davidson said much more study is necessary before such a significant, if largely symbolic, change to the draft is made. The U.S. has not had a military draft since 1973, in the waning years of the Vietnam War era, and the odds for another wide-scale draft are remote. Still, the draft registration requirement remains for men, and many lawmakers believe women should be included. The House vote comes just a few weeks after the Senate passed an annual defense policy bill that mandates for the first time in history that young women sign up for a draft. That measure calls for women to sign up with the Selective Service within 30 days of turning 18, beginning in January 2018.

http://images.military.com/media/offduty/leisure/womendraftcombat-ts600.jpg

The push in the Senate to lift the exclusion was triggered by the Pentagon's decision late last year to open all front-line combat jobs to women. After gender restrictions to military service were erased, the top uniformed officers in each of the military branches expressed support during congressional testimony for requiring women to register. At the same time, they said the all-volunteer force is working and they didn't want a return to conscription. Davidson said delaying the requirement gives lawmakers time "to talk with our families, talk with young women, and then take a more considered action." The House didn't include a similar provision in its version of the annual defense policy bill.

Instead there's a measure to study whether the Selective Service is even needed at a time when the armed forces get plenty of qualified volunteers, making the possibility of a draft remote. The House on Wednesday rejected an amendment to put the Selective Service System out of business by denying the agency's $23 million annual budget. Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., who drafted the amendment, said the Selective Service is obsolete and archaic. But other lawmakers pushed back. Rep. Ander Crenshaw, R-Fla., said the $23 million is a "small price to pay for an agency that has the potential to avert a crisis should the draft ever need to be reinstated."

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/07/07/house-approves-measure-bar-women-draft-registration.html

MisterVeritis
07-08-2016, 11:06 AM
House says women won't have to register for the draft...
House Approves Measure to Bar Women from Draft Registration
WASHINGTON — The Republican-led House backed a measure that seeks to bar women from being required to register for a potential military draft.
I am sure it will be found unconstitutional. Equal protection, and all that.

Peter1469
07-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Good. Only a barbaric society sends its women off to foreign wars.

donttread
07-08-2016, 02:58 PM

It's about time the hypocrits in Washington and the military ended their blatant gender discrimination after they've been requiring everyone else to do so for decades.
I rather see the end of SS and the potential for the draft, but short of that lets make it fair

donttread
07-08-2016, 03:02 PM
Good. Only a barbaric society sends its women off to foreign wars.

Odd comment.

Peter1469
07-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Odd comment.

The non-isolationists will get it.

Don
07-08-2016, 06:35 PM
I think they should end the registration for the draft completely.

They should reinstate the annual alien registration though.

waltky
11-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Draft may not apply to women...
Congress May Not Require Women Register for Draft
Nov 08, 2016 | While U.S. Defense Department officials have made clear it has no problem with requiring women to register for the draft, lawmakers in Congress appear poised to dodge the issue in the upcoming battle over the defense policy bill.

House and Senate negotiators plan to shelve the provision in the Senate version of the National Defense Authorization Act in favor of ordering up a study of the issue, sources told Politico and the Washington Examiner. "Neither majorities support it," a source told Politico. "There's bigger things to worry about" in the $602 billion defense bill proposed by the Pentagon and the White House. A spokesman for the House Armed Services Committee declined to comment on whether the proposal to have women register for the draft would be scrapped but said a House and Senate conference committee would take up the legislation when Congress returns next week.

Congress passed a stopgap spending measure known as a continuing resolution, or CR, in September to avoid a government shutdown before they recessed to campaign for re-election The measure will expire in early December, and it was unclear whether they would be able to pass an NDAA in the lame-duck session or settle on another CR until the next president is inaugurated. Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has backed having women register for the draft. "I do support that," she told the Huffington Post last June.

http://images04.military.com/media/offduty/leisure/womendraftcombat-ts600.jpg

Republican candidate Donald Trump's position on the issue is less clear. His website on issues doesn't address the draft. In a town hall meeting in Virginia last month, Trump was asked by a veteran about the "social engineering" in the military that the veteran claimed had opened up combat roles to women and the possibility that women would have to register for the draft. "Well, we're going to get away from political correctness, and we are going to have to do that," he said, according to The Washington Post. "We have a politically correct military, and it's getting more and more politically correct every day."

Last December, Defense Secretary Ash Carter ended the combat exclusionary rule for women and opened up all military jobs to women in the military who qualify. The Senate Armed Services Committee then said that Carter's action had removed any justification for limiting draft registration to men. "The fact is every single leader in this country, both men and women, members of the military leadership, believe that it's fair since we opened up all aspects of the military to women that they would also be registering for Selective Services," said Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican and chairman of SASC.

MORE (http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/11/08/congress-require-women-register-draft.html)

waltky
12-01-2016, 07:42 AM
No draft for women... Lawmakers Drop Plan Requiring Women to Register for Draft Nov 29, 2016 | WASHINGTON -- Negotiators reached agreement on a sweeping defense policy bill that rejects a plan to force women to register for the draft.
House and Senate negotiators have reached agreement on a sweeping defense policy bill that rejects a plan to force women to register for a military draft. Removing the provision is a victory for social conservatives who decried it as another step toward the blurring of gender lines.
http://images04.military.com/media/offduty/leisure/womendraftcombat-ts600.jpg The bill, which authorizes spending for military programs, also hands Democrats a win: Lawmakers also struck a measure that they said would undercut protections against workplace discrimination based on sexual or gender orientation. Congressional staff briefed reporters on Tuesday's agreement. The legislation has not been released. The staffers are not authorized to speak publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity. A vote in the House on the defense bill is expected by Friday, followed by action in the Senate next week. http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/11/29/lawmakers-drop-plan-requiring-women-register-draft.html

MMC
12-01-2016, 07:51 AM
No draft for women... Lawmakers Drop Plan Requiring Women to Register for Draft Nov 29, 2016 | WASHINGTON -- Negotiators reached agreement on a sweeping defense policy bill that rejects a plan to force women to register for the draft.

Cheeky bastards.....whats good for the goose is good for the gander.