PDA

View Full Version : Paul Ryan : Not Supporting Trump At This Time

Mark III
05-05-2016, 04:05 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/05/politics/paul-ryan-donald-trump-gop-nominee/index.html

Asked whether Trump's proposed Muslim ban, his opposition to free trade and his call to deport 12 million undocumented immigrants would preclude him from ever supporting Trump, Ryan said: "We got work to do.""

"Ryan's position makes him the highest-level GOP official to reject Trump since the real estate mogul became the last candidate standing in the party's nominating contest.

He said he hopes to eventually back Trump and "to be a part of this unifying process." The first moves, though, must come from Trump, he said.

Ryan said he wants Trump to unify "all wings of the Republican Party and the conservative movement" and then run a campaign that will allow Americans to "have something that they're proud to support and proud to be a part of."

"And we've got a ways to go from here to there," Ryan said.

MisterVeritis
05-05-2016, 04:07 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/05/politics/paul-ryan-donald-trump-gop-nominee/index.html

Asked whether Trump's proposed Muslim ban, his opposition to free trade and his call to deport 12 million undocumented immigrants would preclude him from ever supporting Trump, Ryan said: "We got work to do.""

"Ryan's position makes him the highest-level GOP official to reject Trump since the real estate mogul became the last candidate standing in the party's nominating contest.

He said he hopes to eventually back Trump and "to be a part of this unifying process." The first moves, though, must come from Trump, he said.

Ryan said he wants Trump to unify "all wings of the Republican Party and the conservative movement" and then run a campaign that will allow Americans to "have something that they're proud to support and proud to be a part of."

Ryan needs to get out of the Republican Party.

Safety
05-05-2016, 04:11 PM
LoL

Quicksilver
05-05-2016, 04:16 PM
The Republican idea of compromise

"Let me burn down your house"

"NO"

"Ok.. Then how about if I only burn down the 2nd floor"

"NO!!"

Oh.. alright... How about I just burn down your garage?"

"NO!!!"

"You certainly don't know how to compromise, do you.."

Peter1469
05-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Dems are the same.

"NO"

"NO!!"

"NO!!!"

Green Arrow
05-05-2016, 04:53 PM

"NO"

"NO!!"

"NO!!!"

Versus compromise with the Democratic establishment, where they expect you to give them everything they want without anything in return, and then stab you in the back.

Green Arrow
05-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Ryan needs to get out of the Republican Party.

Why? The party has always belonged to people like him, it's only recently that the crazies took over.

maineman
05-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Versus compromise with the Democratic establishment, where they expect you to give them everything they want without anything in return, and then stab you in the back.

do you have an example of legislation where the democrats took that approach with republicans in negotiations?

maineman
05-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Rather than Ryan leaving the Republican party, I would suggest that the tea baggers and trumpeters need to.

Green Arrow
05-05-2016, 05:00 PM
do you have an example of legislation where the democrats took that approach with republicans in negotiations?

Why are we only looking at Democrats' relations with Republicans? I was thinking about how they compromise with their own people, which kind of makes it worse IMO.

Green Arrow
05-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Rather than Ryan leaving the Republican party, I would suggest that the tea baggers and trumpeters need to.

I wouldn't. Nobody needs to leave the Republican Party, if the Tea Party and Trump fans want to see the GOP go in a different direction, they have every right to join the party and try to navigate it in that direction.

Likewise, Ryan has every right to oppose that direction.

birddog
05-05-2016, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't. Nobody needs to leave the Republican Party, if the Tea Party and Trump fans want to see the GOP go in a different direction, they have every right to join the party and try to navigate it in that direction.

Many of us Republicans are already Tea Party people and supporters of Trump. I also believe what Reagan taught which is "it's better to get part of or most of the pie than no pie at all." That's not an exact quote, but the point is we need to negotiate deals in government with both parties and the president involved. The R party tends to be more inclusive of The D party, not shutting them out as they do us.

Green Arrow
05-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Many of us Republicans are already Tea Party people and supporters of Trump. I also believe what Reagan taught which is "it's better to get part of or most of the pie than no pie at all." That's not an exact quote, but the point is we need to negotiate deals in government with both parties and the president involved. The R party tends to be more inclusive of The D party, not shutting them out as they do us.

I don't buy partisan blather, regardless of the source, but if that makes you happy, by all means, you do you.

maineman
05-05-2016, 05:37 PM

certainly it is a fight for the soul of the GOP.... I just don't see either side agreeing to accept the other side's definition of that "soul", and, in the case of the tea party crowd, they have made it fairly clear that they have no desire to compromise with anyone over any of their core beliefs.

The Xl
05-05-2016, 05:38 PM
A bought establishment neocon not supporting Trump? Stop the presses, this is unforeseen madness.

The Xl
05-05-2016, 05:40 PM

Ryan and the establishment republican party should merge with the democrats. They all support and legislate the same stuff anyway.

Green Arrow
05-05-2016, 05:55 PM
certainly it is a fight for the soul of the GOP.... I just don't see either side agreeing to accept the other side's definition of that "soul", and, in the case of the tea party crowd, they have made it fairly clear that they have no desire to compromise with anyone over any of their core beliefs.

Should they?

maineman
05-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Should they?

someone needs to. one party cannot have two souls.

Green Arrow
05-05-2016, 06:04 PM

Why should they?

Peter1469
05-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Why? With the US winner take all system it is natural to have only 2 main parties. The democrats have multiple souls- countless. A bunch of people who believe that they are victims of something. Other than their victim status they don't have much in common.

MisterVeritis
05-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Why? The party has always belonged to people like him, it's only recently that the crazies took over.
Ryan needs to leave the Republican party. It is not his party and he is not supporting the nominee. Fuck him.

If someone is willing to primary Ryan I will support them.

maineman
05-05-2016, 06:19 PM

that should do the trick!

MisterVeritis
05-05-2016, 06:24 PM
that should do the trick!
Just because the task is difficult doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried. Do you remember Cantor?

Green Arrow
05-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Ryan needs to leave the Republican party. It is not his party and he is not supporting the nominee. Fuck him.

It's been Ryan's party far longer than it's been Trump's.

MisterVeritis
05-05-2016, 06:51 PM
It's been Ryan's party far longer than it's been Trump's.
The presumptive nominee is the head of the party. Fuck Ryan. Fuck McCain. Fuck Graham(nesty). It is time to clean up the party. The shit stains have to be cleaned up and tossed out.

I hear the Bush presidents have stated they will not support nor vote for Trump. Fuck them too. We need to clean House and get rid of the traitors.

Mark III
05-05-2016, 06:58 PM
The presumptive nominee is the head of the party. $#@! Ryan. $#@! McCain. $#@! Graham(nesty). It is time to clean up the party. The $#@! stains have to be cleaned up and tossed out.

I hear the Bush presidents have stated they will not support nor vote for Trump. $#@! them too. We need to clean House and get rid of the traitors.

You would last about three seconds in politics.

MisterVeritis
05-05-2016, 07:00 PM
You would last about three seconds in politics.
I am not in politics. A very long time ago I was approached by some very influential people who wanted to back me in a bid for a seat on the city council of a large, Texas city. I declined.

The Xl
05-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Between Trump and Sanders, people are clearly demonstrating that they won't blindly follow the republicrat duopolies corrupt and restricted vision.

Subdermal
05-05-2016, 10:15 PM

Uh huh. But the schism between Bernie and Hillary supporters represents no such problem, I suppose.

:loco:

maineman
05-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Just because the task is difficult doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried. Do you remember Cantor?

I don't recall Cantor being speaker of the house. Did I miss that?

domer76
05-05-2016, 11:47 PM
I am not in politics. A very long time ago I was approached by some very influential people who wanted to back me in a bid for a seat on the city council of a large, Texas city. I declined.

That must have been before you experienced your traumatic brain injury

Mac-7
05-06-2016, 04:54 AM
Ryan is a CINO - conservative in name only

PolWatch
05-06-2016, 05:07 AM
Thread moved to 2016 U.S. Presidential Election Forum

MMC
05-06-2016, 06:51 AM

At least you pointed it out correctly. Although, the Lame Stream media jumped on it like Ryan would never endorse Trump. Most of the Leftness in the Media. Only likes to parse the statement rather than go with the whole statement and concept.

Its one of their main weaknesses which they should be put on the spot with. Called out and then humiliated publicly.

MisterVeritis
05-06-2016, 06:59 AM
I don't recall Cantor being speaker of the house. Did I miss that?
Do you think that matters? Is the Speaker untouchable? Hell no. Cantor was one of the top muckety-mucks and he was taken down. If Ryan does not support Trump then Ryan needs to leave the Republican party.

MMC
05-06-2016, 07:01 AM
Ryan is a CINO - conservative in name only

Nah.....that's Conservative in Necessity Only. Just sayin.

MisterVeritis
05-06-2016, 07:02 AM
That must have been before you experienced your traumatic brain injury
I was in my mid-40s and very successful. I was invited to a very expensive fundraising party. It was remarkable. While there I was approached about running.

The brain injury comment is amusing. Even after mine I still easily run rings around you. I suppose I was fortunate to have started life with so much intellectual horsepower. It is a shame you had to live with far less.

PolWatch
05-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Please stay on topic... take discussion of personalities to the PM function

MisterVeritis
05-06-2016, 07:20 AM
And with the warning I shall exist this thread.

maineman
05-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Do you think that matters? Is the Speaker untouchable? Hell no. Cantor was one of the top muckety-mucks and he was taken down. If Ryan does not support Trump then Ryan needs to leave the Republican party.

your opinion as to the necessity of Speaker Ryan's future actions is just that...

an opinion AND a boring one.

MisterVeritis
05-06-2016, 07:52 AM
your opinion as to the necessity of Speaker Ryan's future actions is just that...

an opinion AND a boring one.
I do not recall soliciting your input.

Ryan still needs to go. Or he needs to support Trump.

This will be my final post in this thread.