PDA

View Full Version : The newest drug addiction

OGIS
05-12-2016, 10:15 AM
I'm fairly certain that, as defined by the symptoms, this particular form of drug abuse is rampant among conservatives.

Way too much: Imodium is newest way of getting highIt's the newest way of getting high. It's completely legal and you get as much of it as you want as often as you'd like for only a few dollars from any drugstore. It's even being compared to heroin by Dr. Jeanna Marraffa at the Upstate New York Poison Center

"I think that it's just as dangerous if not more dangerous, if not more dangerous," says Marraffa.

Loperamide is the opioid found in medications like Imodium. Since it was approved by the FDA decades ago, loperamide has been used to help with diarrhea. However, now word is spreading about how dangerous this drug can be in high doses. Katharine Rayland needed to have her heart shocked back to life 28 times when she went to the emergency room after abusing the drug for a year.

"I went out and was code blue, I was on full cardiac arrest. I was blue blue," says Rayland.

That was in 2012. At that time, Rayland was the first person Upstate University Hospital had encountered who admitted to using loperamide to get high. Since then the Upstate New York Poison Center has seen a 70 percent increase in patients overdosing on Imodium.

"Cases that come into the emergency department are even dying from that, so unfortunately we're learning the hard way about the risk of toxisity of this drug," says Marraffa.

People like Rayland used it to deal with her withdrawal from vicodin. Others use it simply to get a cheap, legal high. Either way, unlike low doses increased doses push the drug into your brain making you high. When abused it can cause deadly heart problems.

http://cnycentral.com/news/local/way-too-much-imodium-is-newest-way-of-getting-high?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Standing Wolf
05-12-2016, 10:42 AM
I was kind of shocked to discover that loperamide was an opioid. It's sold over the counter, for one thing, and I've been a true believer in its effectiveness as a treatment for irregularity for many years. The generic that I buy at Target has exactly the same ingredients as Immodium and costs about half as much. As near as I can remember, the instructions tell you not to use more than, I think it's five pills a day, but I never imagined it might be a drug of abuse. Weird.

Beevee
05-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Loperamide is for diarrhea, which explains a lot on this predominately American forum.

Chris
05-12-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm fairly certain that, as defined by the symptoms, this particular form of drug abuse is rampant among conservatives.

Loperamide is for diarrhea, which explains a lot on this predominately American forum.

Enough with the baiting already.

Opioids are a huge problem.

Private Pickle
05-12-2016, 11:29 AM

Derp

Peter1469
05-12-2016, 11:43 AM

You're shitting us, right?

Beevee
05-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Enough with the baiting already.

Opioids are a huge problem.

Are you claiming that my response was inaccurate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loperamide

Beevee
05-12-2016, 12:56 PM
You're $#@!ting us, right?

How can you claim I would ever take dump on you?

Chris
05-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Are you claiming that my response was inaccurate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loperamide

Yes, wiki says nothing about this forum.

Beevee
05-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Yes, wiki says nothing about this forum.

But I didn't use wiki as a reference in my original remark.

jimmyz
05-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Our poor northern cousin Beevee has diarrhea of the keyboard.

Peter1469
05-12-2016, 02:53 PM
How can you claim I would ever take dump on you?

LoL

I don't watch cartoons so I don't get your posts.

donttread
05-13-2016, 07:18 AM
I was kind of shocked to discover that loperamide was an opioid. It's sold over the counter, for one thing, and I've been a true believer in its effectiveness as a treatment for irregularity for many years. The generic that I buy at Target has exactly the same ingredients as Immodium and costs about half as much. As near as I can remember, the instructions tell you not to use more than, I think it's five pills a day, but I never imagined it might be a drug of abuse. Weird.

yes, I heard about this the other day . I wonder how long a "good high" leaves you bound up for?