PDA

View Full Version : Cops pummel suspect who surrendered

exotix
05-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Just In

High-Speed Chase Through Two States Ends With Police Pummeling Suspect

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/high-speed-chase-through-two-states-ends-police-pummeling-suspect-n572681

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6K1Zk5uLr4

texan
05-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Kind of hard to tell what is going on isn't it?

FindersKeepers
05-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Looks to me like a few officers need to lose their jobs -- and be banned from working in law enforcement in the future.

exotix
05-12-2016, 01:20 PM
Kind of hard to tell what is going on isn't it?You can clearly see fists and batons swinging that clearly went on for a minute and 21 seconds.

Safety
05-12-2016, 01:22 PM
I think Clevend PD will hire them...

texan
Okay maybe.

Can you tell me if the guy had a weapon that he reached for?

You can speculate but you can't really see............

Bo-4
How not to get your ass kicked by the PO-lice. :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

exotix
Okay maybe.

You can speculate but you can't really see............Probably skittles and soda ... LOL

FindersKeepers
05-12-2016, 01:24 PM
You can clearly see fists and batons swinging that clearly went on for a minute and 21 seconds.

Completely ridiculous use of force. The guy clearly surrendered and lay down on his stomach.

Here's another angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G4MHJq0OoU

texan
05-12-2016, 01:25 PM
(CNN)Officer Jesse Hartnett was halfway through his 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. shift in West Philadelphia, one of the toughest beats in the nation's fourth-largest police department.

Hartnett was in his patrol car (http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/09/us/philadelphia-police-officer-shot/)just before midnight on January 7 when a man in a long white tunic took aim with a 9 mm Glock pistol and fired at least 11 shots at the officer.
Three of the bullets shattered Hartnett's left arm, causing severe nerve damage. Still, the five-year police veteran managed to return fire and wound the suspect, who was later arrested.

"This is a dangerous job," police Commissioner Richard Ross said. "This incident captures the essence of that. ... You never know what that next encounter will be."

Hartnett, who is recovering after several surgeries, has been praised for his generosity as well as his courage. He would buy coffee and sandwiches for homeless people, according to colleagues. He'd stop to say hello and make small talk with people on the rugged streets he patrolled.
"He was a compassionate police officer," Ross said.

Just sayin

texan
05-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Probably skittles and soda ... LOL

Once upon a time there was a really innocent guy named Mike Brown who was shot in the back by a cop running from him and did absolutely nothing....................Stop me if you remember this one.

Safety
05-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Once upon a time there was a really innocent guy named Mike Brown who was shot in the back by a cop running from him and did absolutely nothing....................Stop me if you remember this one.

Evidently you need to stop because you don't remember it either. Brown was not shot in the back...

Bo-4
05-12-2016, 01:37 PM
Evidently you need to stop because you don't remember it either. Brown was not shot in the back...

I think Tex was being sarcastic ;-)

Safety
05-12-2016, 01:41 PM
I think Tex was being sarcastic ;-)

I think he was confusing Walter Scott with Brown.

Cigar
05-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Kind of hard to tell what is going on isn't it?

Just deny anything that happened and you'll be safe.

Tahuyaman
05-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Looks to me like a few officers need to lose their jobs -- and be banned from working in law enforcement in the future.

It's hard to tell exactly who did what.

It looked to me as though the fat guy let his emotions take control of his actions.

When a suspect gets out of his vehicle, surrenders and lays down on the ground, it doesn't get any easier than that.

I've been in that same situation. I'd just tell the guy to place his hands in the small if his back, then cuff him and take him to jail. Easy Peasy.......

Tahuyaman
05-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Okay maybe.

You can speculate but you can't really see............

Again, it's hard to tell, but it appeared as though he got out of the truck with his hands in plan sight and went to his knees then got down on the ground face down.

Of course when I was a Deputy, I didn't like to fight unless it was necessary. But then, I want a big fat slob always looking for an opportunity to exert my authority.

Standing Wolf
05-12-2016, 02:12 PM
The longer the chase goes on, the higher the adrenaline level, the more frustration and anger building up in the pursuing officers - that's when this kind of thing happens. (That's an explanation - not an excuse, by the way.) Heck, even on a show like Cops, where the officers know there's a cameraman right there, a lot of times, after a car or foot chase, you'll see them way overreact in physically confronting and subduing the suspect. As in this case, the suspect will be flat on his face on the ground, showing zero resistance, and you'll see three or four cops come and kneel on various parts of his body, screaming at him, for absolutely no good reason.

Yes, in real life, overwhelming force is sometimes required; I have personally witnessed it take three officers to subdue a 120-pound woman who really, really didn't want to be handcuffed...and, back in my Naval Base Police days at Pearl, was one of at least a half a dozen guys trying to stop a drunk, pissed-off Samoan. Repeatedly assaulting an unarmed, compliant subject, however, is never justifiable.

Peter1469
05-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Come on down to New Orleans. They have positions to fill as cops go to jail.

Doublejack
05-12-2016, 02:51 PM
If you run from cops you should expect a bit of a beat down.

Just the way it goes.

Choose wisely.

Tahuyaman
05-12-2016, 03:54 PM

I got a chuckle out of watching someone fall for that one.

Tahuyaman
05-12-2016, 03:56 PM

Just the way it goes.

Choose wisely.

Thats true, but not after you surrender and are laying in the prone position.

Private Pickle
05-12-2016, 03:56 PM

Just the way it goes.

Choose wisely.

Ummm......no....

Tahuyaman
05-12-2016, 03:58 PM
The longer the chase goes on, the higher the adrenaline level, the more frustration and anger building up in the pursuing officers -

and that's when a police officer must ensure that he keeps his emotions under control.

Doublejack
05-12-2016, 04:06 PM
Oh please.. if you run it should mandatory that you get a beat down imho.

I would go a step further and allow police to shoot suspects that try to flee like the old days.

The Sage of Main Street
05-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Just In

High-Speed Chase Through Two States Ends With Police Pummeling Suspect

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/high-speed-chase-through-two-states-ends-police-pummeling-suspect-n572681

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6K1Zk5uLr4 Endangering police and the public by initiating a high-speed chase should be a capital offense. The Establishment protects subhumans that do such things because it hates the public. Depose those who give civil rights to the uncivilized and Americans will think freely and clearly about who are the real victims.

The Sage of Main Street
05-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Okay maybe.

You can speculate but you can't really see............ He had turned his car into a lethal weapon.

The Sage of Main Street
05-12-2016, 04:28 PM
I think he was confusing Walter Scott with Brown. No one had a right to repeal the "Stop or I'll Shoot" law.

leekohler2
05-12-2016, 04:34 PM

You mean like the really innocent Lavoy Finicum?

Private Pickle
05-12-2016, 04:36 PM
You mean like the really innocent Lavoy Finicum?

Well Finicum wasn't attacking any of the cops so there's that difference...

leekohler2
05-12-2016, 04:39 PM
Well Finicum wasn't attacking any of the cops so there's that difference...

Umm...nearly running one of them down with an SUV doesn't count?

Private Pickle
05-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Umm...nearly running one of them down with an SUV doesn't count?

Obviously not unless you're suggesting they shot him down because he ran a roadblock...

leekohler2
05-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Obviously not unless you're suggesting they shot him down because he ran a roadblock...

You said Finicum was not attacking any of the officers. I pointed out that he indeed did. That's all. What was the guy in this video doing? Laying on the ground.

Private Pickle
05-12-2016, 04:48 PM
You said Finicum was not attacking any of the officers. I pointed out that he indeed did. That's all. What was the guy in this video doing? Laying on the ground.

But he didn't or they would have shot him then...

leekohler2
05-12-2016, 04:50 PM
But he didn't or they would have shot him then...

Hey, continue on in double standard fantasy land. Carry on.

Private Pickle
05-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Hey, continue on in double standard fantasy land. Carry on.

You brought him up...I didn't...

AeonPax
05-12-2016, 05:01 PM
`
`
I can't stand LEO's that pummel.