PDA

View Full Version : Trump Won't Release His Tax Returns? Give Him The Birther Treatment

Mark III
05-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Apparently the presumptive Republican nominee is not going to release any of his tax returns. “Nothing to see here, move along,” is his attitude. He doesn’t think voters are interested. Voters have a funny way of making that decision for themselves, of course. By way of contrast, Hillary Clinton’s tax records dating back to 1977 are already a matter of public record.

The way to deal with this is for our side to put the word out that Trump is lying about his wealth. We must make him either release the returns to prove the rumors false—in which case, mission accomplished—or, if he doesn’t, double down by citing his continued refusal as a confirmation that the rumors are true.

This needs to become something the media doesn’t stop talking about, like the swift-boating of John Kerry, for example. I don’t advocate such an approach lightly, but it was perfected by Trump and his birther acolytes, so he certainly deserves it.

Moreover, we should specifically highlight the birther tactics as part of spreading these rumors about Trump’s actual wealth. Doing so not only justifies what we are doing—in politics, turnabout is fair play, after all—but it also reminds people of the fact that Trump was the biggest figure in a disgusting, bigoted movement that, without merit, sought to discredit the Americanness of the first African American president. This can be a double whammy. Trump lied about President Obama and it looks like he’s lying about his own wealth, among so many other documented lies. We have to ask: What else is he lying about?

Donald Trump has already shown that he fights dirty. Democrats need to be prepared to do what is necessary to make sure that our next president isn’t a fascist. Simple as that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-reifowitz/trump-wont-release-his-ta_b_9971692.html

Mark III
05-14-2016, 02:31 PM
I think things are headed in this direction.

MisterVeritis
05-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Personal destruction tactics are not going to work. That has to piss you radical Leftists off.

birddog
05-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Personal destruction tactics are not going to work. That has to piss you radical Leftists off.

True, plus his analogy is stupid! B. Hussein Obama has never proved by an objective document panel that the BC used to make a copy of was authentic.

The Kenyan still reigns and spreads his muslimic hate!

hanger4
05-14-2016, 03:42 PM
The 'birther movement' wanted to prove Obama wasn't qualified constitutionally to be President.

What do the income tax returns prove ??

Peter1469
05-14-2016, 03:50 PM
Dupe thread.

stjames1_53
05-14-2016, 04:02 PM
he is not required under any law or rule to show his returns................
you want to know how much he pays????????? earn his kind of money then tell the rest of us how much YOU paid

texan
05-14-2016, 04:14 PM
He is out today laying the groundwork that he pays as little taxes as legally possible. This tells me he is preparing to release some info as he is greasing the skids.....

Quicksilver
05-14-2016, 04:20 PM

Ha! They certainly are.. Trump is already going ballistic about the things being dug out of his past and broadcast all over the airwaves. He has taken back to twittering insults and whining about how unfair it is to have things from 25 years ago brought up... Imagine that!! AND he just hung up midway through a phone interview when he was asked about some of the things being reported. He is going to crack and show the general electorate that he is not fit to be president. It is going to be relentless and merciless.... Let's see how he does.

Quicksilver
05-14-2016, 04:24 PM
The 'birther movement' wanted to prove Obama wasn't qualified constitutionally to be President.

That he's a liar? Doesn't make as much as he has stated.. OR that he hasn't donated as much to charity as he has claimed he has..

The tactic that is going to be used against him is akin to carpet bombing... and the Clinton campaign has the money to keep it up 24/7 all the way to November.. The question is... can Trump withstand it? He has never reacted well to criticism.... wait.. it's just starting.

decedent
05-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Trump said that he'd release his tax returns long ago. I'm sure he'll keep his promise.... just as I'm sure he's worth $10 billion.

Peter1469
05-14-2016, 04:44 PM
The word unhinged comes to mind. :smiley:

valley ranch
05-14-2016, 05:59 PM
I don't want his tax return, and I won't release mine.

MisterVeritis
05-14-2016, 06:01 PM
He is out today laying the groundwork that he pays as little taxes as legally possible. This tells me he is preparing to release some info as he is greasing the skids.....
With the possible exception of some fools, we all pay as little as is legally possible.

Peter1469
05-14-2016, 06:06 PM
My tax return is unremarkable except that I paid over $30K in income taxes. No reach around.

I probably gave just under in $500 in charity, so that probably will piss people off.

AZ Jim
05-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Any money made by a lawyer is theft.

MisterVeritis
05-14-2016, 06:28 PM
Any money made by a lawyer is theft.
You missed reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People" didn't you?

Tahuyaman
05-14-2016, 10:46 PM

I think it would prove three things. One, that Donald Trump isn't as wealthy as he likes to claim. Two, that he uses every gimick in the books to pay as little income tax as possible. Third, he contributes an extremely trivial amount of money to charity.

None of which are illegal, but it could be embarrassing for him.

MisterVeritis
05-14-2016, 10:49 PM
I think it would prove three things. One, that Donald Trump isn't as wealthy as he likes to claim. Two, that he uses every gimick in the books to pay as little income tax as possible. Third, he contributes an extremely trivial amount of money to charity.

None of which are illegal, but it could be embarrassing for him.

Those of you who oppose Trump fail to understand his appeal. Tax returns or no tax returns will have no effect. You are pissing into the wind while wondering why your legs are getting wet.

Tahuyaman
05-14-2016, 10:54 PM
Those of you who oppose Trump fail to understand his appeal. Tax returns or no tax returns will have no effect. You are pissing into the wind while wondering why your legs are getting wet.

I don't give a shit if he does or doesn't. I'm just telling you the likely reasons why he isn't.

AeonPax
05-15-2016, 02:43 AM
`
`
I understand Trump will release his tax forms when Hillary provides scripts of what she said at all all her speaking engagements to the banks and corporations.

FindersKeepers
05-15-2016, 03:51 AM
`
`
I understand Trump will release his tax forms when Hillary provides scripts of what she said at all all her speaking engagements to the banks and corporations.

LOL

Now, that's interesting, indeed, if true.

Not a chance in hell that Hillary will do it -- but, it will be fun to watch her squirm, two-faced as she is.

Tahuyaman
05-15-2016, 09:56 AM
LOL

Not a chance in hell that Hillary will do it -- but, it will be fun to watch her squirm, two-faced as she is.

In all fairness to the corrupt Mrs Clinton, there's no precedent for a candidate to disclose all of the transcripts from his or her speeches. There is a precedent of disclosing your tax information.

No matter how one tries to spin it, not releasing his tax information is a mistake of his own creation.

MisterVeritis
05-15-2016, 01:12 PM
in all fairness to the corrupt mrs clinton, there's no precedent for a candidate to disclose all of the transcripts from his or her speeches. There is a precedent of disclosing your tax information.

No matter how one tries to spin it, not releasing his tax information is a mistake of his own creation.

lol

Green Arrow
05-15-2016, 02:04 PM
I'll care about Trump's tax returns when I see the transcripts of Hillary's Wall Street speeches.

Why won't she release those?

FindersKeepers
05-15-2016, 02:06 PM

It's either a mistake or a smart move. Trump's said he will likely release them after his audit is over - but by not capitulating to the whining crowd, he reinforces his "stand your ground" persona that his supporters seem to like.

domer76
05-15-2016, 02:08 PM
LOL

Let's see. You pay me a gazillion dollars and I will tell you what you want to hear. Win/win.

hanger4
05-15-2016, 02:10 PM
It's either a mistake or a smart move. Trump's said he will likely release them after his audit is over - but by not capitulating to the whining crowd, he reinforces his "stand your ground" persona that his supporters seem to like.

"Tax attorneys who spoke with LawNewz.com said they would not advise their clients to release taxes in the midst of the audit."

http://lawnewz.com/politics/legal-experts-side-with-trump-it-would-be-totally-stupid-to-release-his-taxes-during-audit/

Bo-4
05-15-2016, 02:21 PM
"Tax attorneys who spoke with LawNewz.com said they would not advise their clients to release taxes in the midst of the audit."

http://lawnewz.com/politics/legal-experts-side-with-trump-it-would-be-totally-stupid-to-release-his-taxes-during-audit/

If indeed he was in the middle of an audit and i were his attorney i'd probably advise him likewise.

However, it is too early for him to have been audited for 2015 and too late for a 2014 audit to still be going on.

When he tells Stephanopoulos that his marginal tax rate is none of his business .. it raises an eyebrow or two .. sorry, it just does.

There are some ghosts and red flags in there -- guaranteed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEi8MFTOZ3c

FindersKeepers
05-15-2016, 02:21 PM
Let's see. You pay me a gazillion dollars and I will tell you what you want to hear. Win/win.

Hillary was paid HUGE bucks for some of those speeches. Eventually, someone, somewhere, will release a recording, and that should be fun.

Certainly, Hillary told them what they wanted to hear -- but what she said in those speeches may very well contradict her current platform. I'd be willing to bet we get to hear one, or more, of them at some point. Smartphone recording apps are super simple to use.

FindersKeepers
05-15-2016, 02:24 PM
If indeed he was in the middle of an audit and i were his attorney i'd probably advise him likewise.

However, it is too early for him to have been audited for 2015 and too late for a 2014 audit to still be going on.

When he tells Stephanopoulos that his marginal tax rate is none of his business .. it raises an eyebrow or two .. sorry, it just does.

It's not too late for a 2014 audit -- not by a long shot. And, Trump mentioned that it was a "multi-year audit." Having been through one of those -- I can tell you they are not fun.

I asked you before and you dodged but I'll ask you again -- what sort of things (ghosts and red flags) do you think could be found in a tax return that anyone would care about?

I mean -- honestly?

Bo-4
05-15-2016, 02:24 PM
I'll care about Trump's tax returns when I see the transcripts of Hillary's Wall Street speeches.

No arguments here -- 100% agreed and Bernie, you and myself are on the same page.

What's her argument - something like "as soon as EVERYONE who's ever been paid for a speech to GS releases theirs"?

Lame

Green Arrow
05-15-2016, 02:27 PM
No arguments here -- 100% agreed and Bernie, you and myself are on the same page.

What's her argument - something like "as soon as EVERYONE who's ever been paid for a speech to GS releases theirs"?

Lame

Well, first she insisted she warned them about the 2008 financial crisis, which is Hillaryous. Then when that didn't work, she demanded Bernie and the GOP field release theirs first, which is also Hillaryous because 1) Bernie doesn't have any Wall Street speeches and 2) she wants to be president, she should be leading, not following.

The longer this goes on, the less presidential she looks.

Safety
05-15-2016, 02:29 PM

I probably wouldn't trust a tax attorney who speaks to an organization called law newz.

Safety
05-15-2016, 02:31 PM
I don't give a shit if he does or doesn't. I'm just telling you the likely reasons why he isn't.

Don't you know that you are either in lockstep with these folks or you are the enemy. I wouldn't be surprised if you are called a liberal now.

Bo-4
05-15-2016, 02:33 PM
It's not too late for a 2014 audit -- not by a long shot. And, Trump mentioned that it was a "multi-year audit." Having been through one of those -- I can tell you they are not fun.

I asked you before and you dodged but I'll ask you again -- what sort of things (ghosts and red flags) do you think could be found in a tax return that anyone would care about?

I mean -- honestly?

Okay fine i'll accept your premise.

As to ghosts and red flags here is what we can find out with a full and honest (not redacted and summarized) version is released?

1) Whether he makes as much money and is as rich as he claims to be
2) What WAS his marginal tax rate - if it's 10% or less (as i suspect) that's gonna piss a lot of his supporters off who pay 20-30% like i (and most of us) do
3) How much money does he have stashed offshore that he pays nothing on - (remember Mitt's hundred million dollar IRA?)

Those are just a few of the unanswered questions his returns might answer.

Remember, Hillary (not defending her ass) released 35 years of hers. Maybe Trump could give us 5 years or so NOT currently being audited?

MisterVeritis
05-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Hillary was paid HUGE bucks for some of those speeches. Eventually, someone, somewhere, will release a recording, and that should be fun.

Certainly, Hillary told them what they wanted to hear -- but what she said in those speeches may very well contradict her current platform. I'd be willing to bet we get to hear one, or more, of them at some point. Smartphone recording apps are super simple to use.
It requires very few flowery words to get the point across that a future favor is guaranteed.

hanger4
05-15-2016, 02:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEi8MFTOZ3c

"The letter, signed by Sheri Dillon and William Nelson of the firm Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, gives no advice to Trump on his refusal to release any of his tax returns to the public."

"But the lawyers’ three-paragraph letter does provide official-sounding backup to Trump’s claims that he’s being audited, so he can’t release his returns.

Trump’s tax returns have been under “continuous examination” by the IRS since 2002, “consistent with the IRS’ practice for large and complex businesses,” the lawyers wrote.

IRS examinations of Trump’s tax returns from 2002 to 2008 have been “closed administratively,” the lawyers wrote, “without assessment or payment.” That means the examination of those returns is finished.

IRS examinations of returns for the years since 2009 are “ongoing,” the lawyers said.

But here’s the catch: The lawyers said Trump’s recent tax returns — the ones the IRS is still auditing — are just extensions of his older returns, because they include “items that are attributable to continuing transactions or activities that were also reported on returns for 2008 and earlier.”

“In this sense, the pending examinations are continuous of prior, closed examinations,” the lawyers wrote.

This gives Trump legal backing for claiming all his returns are being audited, not just those under active examination."

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/trump-irs-lawyers_us_56fc78c4e4b0a06d5804bd8c

MisterVeritis
05-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Don't you know that you are either in lockstep with these folks or you are the enemy. I wouldn't be surprised if you are called a liberal now.
Or Tahu is simply wrong. He tries too hard. It is unbecoming.

Bo-4
05-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Well, first she insisted she warned them about the 2008 financial crisis, which is Hillaryous. Then when that didn't work, she demanded Bernie and the GOP field release theirs first, which is also Hillaryous because 1) Bernie doesn't have any Wall Street speeches and 2) she wants to be president, she should be leading, not following.

I can't vote for her anymore GD .. and i don't care if the R candidate is Trump (who's quite insane).

I'd probably go with Jill Stein or Gary Johnson (or honestly - sit it out)

Bo-4
05-15-2016, 02:44 PM
"The letter, signed by Sheri Dillon and William Nelson of the firm Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, gives no advice to Trump on his refusal to release any of his tax returns to the public."

"But the lawyers’ three-paragraph letter does provide official-sounding backup to Trump’s claims that he’s being audited, so he can’t release his returns.

Trump’s tax returns have been under “continuous examination” by the IRS since 2002, “consistent with the IRS’ practice for large and complex businesses,” the lawyers wrote.

IRS examinations of Trump’s tax returns from 2002 to 2008 have been “closed administratively,” the lawyers wrote, “without assessment or payment.” That means the examination of those returns is finished.

IRS examinations of returns for the years since 2009 are “ongoing,” the lawyers said.

But here’s the catch: The lawyers said Trump’s recent tax returns — the ones the IRS is still auditing — are just extensions of his older returns, because they include “items that are attributable to continuing transactions or activities that were also reported on returns for 2008 and earlier.”

“In this sense, the pending examinations are continuous of prior, closed examinations,” the lawyers wrote.

This gives Trump legal backing for claiming all his returns are being audited, not just those under active examination."

Yeah Yeah, good lawyers are endlessly creative huh? ;-)

hanger4
05-15-2016, 02:48 PM
I probably wouldn't trust a tax attorney who speaks to an organization called law newz.

You don't trust the Chief Legal Affairs Anchor for ABC News Dan Abrams ?? It's his legal news web site.

Subdermal
05-15-2016, 02:49 PM

No more so than desperate leftists, by appearances.

AZ Jim
05-15-2016, 02:56 PM

The longer this goes on, the less presidential she looks.So I guess you won't attend the victory celebration when she prevails?

Bo-4
05-15-2016, 03:00 PM

Sanders/ Stein on a 3rd party ticket 2016!!

She likes Bernie .. but probably too late dang it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJ7le6qqsg

hanger4
05-15-2016, 03:04 PM

I agree his tax returnes are a very minor issue, but his reasons for not releasing them at this time are not.

Ransom
05-15-2016, 03:19 PM
So I guess you won't attend the victory celebration when she prevails?

No, I think Arrow will be there for nothing else than the historical precedent, our first First Gentlemen...Bill Clinton.

I even offered him my cowboy boots, and come to think of that Jim, what are you wearing for footwear given you'll be 3 feet deep in sheep sh!t?

Green Arrow
05-15-2016, 04:16 PM

No, I won't.

Tahuyaman
05-15-2016, 05:48 PM

what precedent says that she should?

Tahuyaman
05-15-2016, 05:49 PM

Why would anyone want to celebrate more incompetence, corruption and failure?

Tahuyaman
05-15-2016, 05:51 PM

He could release the tax records from 2014 and 13. No audit stopping that.

Tahuyaman
05-15-2016, 05:53 PM

Hacks on on either side think what they want.

Mark III
05-15-2016, 06:36 PM
In all fairness to the corrupt Mrs Clinton, there's no precedent for a candidate to disclose all of the transcripts from his or her speeches. There is a precedent of disclosing your tax information.

You are exactly correct. That so many people ignore that fact is a sad commentary on all the ignorance abounding.

hanger4
05-15-2016, 06:44 PM
He could release them all but;

But the lawyers’ three-paragraph letter does provide official-sounding backup to Trump’s claims that he’s being audited, so he can’t release his returns.

"But here’s the catch: The lawyers said Trump’s recent tax returns — the ones the IRS is still auditing — are just extensions of his older returns, because they include “items that are attributable to continuing transactions or activities that were also reported on returns for 2008 and earlier.”

Mark III
05-15-2016, 06:48 PM

But the lawyers’ three-paragraph letter does provide official-sounding backup to Trump’s claims that he’s being audited, so he can’t release his returns.

"But here’s the catch: The lawyers said Trump’s recent tax returns — the ones the IRS is still auditing — are just extensions of his older returns, because they include “items that are attributable to continuing transactions or activities that were also reported on returns for 2008 and earlier.”

Legal has nothing to do with it. Trump is a habitual liar, and we can assume that his tax returns contain information that would be very embarrassing to him.

hanger4
05-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Legal has nothing to do with it. Trump is a habitual liar, and we can assume that his tax returns contain information that would be very embarrassing to him.

I never said anything about 'legal'. What part of "He could release them all "didn't you understand ??

BTW Hillary is a habitual liar also.

Tahuyaman
05-15-2016, 07:47 PM
You are exactly correct. That so many people ignore that fact is a sad commentary on all the ignorance abounding.

Yes, a lot of people ignore an awful lot in order to support their candidate. What are you ignoring to support Mrs Clinton?

Dr. Who
05-15-2016, 07:48 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but Trump would have a personal return, separate and apart from his business interests. If he is undergoing a continuing audit on his personal income, that would suggest irregularities. No one is asking for his corporate returns.

stjames1_53
05-15-2016, 07:49 PM

why? did he claim he landed under enemy fire, too?
and how about that missing 6 billion dollars from the SoS account? He steal that too?
When did he blame Benghazi on the video?

Tahuyaman
05-15-2016, 07:50 PM

but he won't for the same three reasons I explained earlier.

Tahuyaman
05-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Trump is a habitual liar....

Your unwavering support for Hillary Clinton demonstrates clearly that a candidate's honesty, integrity and ability to tell the truth isn't an issue with you.

Bo-4
05-15-2016, 08:16 PM
Why would anyone want to celebrate more incompetence, corruption and failure?

Well hell why not? .. You get thanks in here for one reason or another every damned day!

:rofl:

hanger4
05-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but Trump would have a personal return, separate and apart from his business interests. If he is undergoing a continuing audit on his personal income, that would suggest irregularities. No one is asking for his corporate returns.

No need for corrections, I believe you are correct. This may shed some light;

"What's the deal with this audit?
In late March, Trump released a letter from his tax attorneys and accountants attesting to the fact that all of his tax returns from 2009 forward are currently being scrutinized by the IRS. They say that, generally speaking, since 2002 Trump has been audited on an annual basis, in compliance with the IRS's general approach to unusually complicated individual income tax filings.

The reason Trump's tax returns are so complicated is that the Trump Organization is a somewhat unusual business venture. A more typical rich entrepreneur might have founded a company that later staged an IPO, and Trump would be rich today because of a mix of salary he has paid as CEO of his own company and because he owns shares of stock in the company.

But the Trump Organization isn't a company at all. Instead, it's simply a catchall phrase for a loose agglomeration of approximately 500 separately incorporated entities that Trump either wholly or largely owns. Each of these companies has its own set of transactions each year, which end up registering on Trump's personal taxes"

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/12/11662122/donald-trump-tax-return

Tahuyaman
05-15-2016, 08:28 PM
Well hell why not? .. You get thanks in here for one reason or another every damned day!

:rofl:

what's your point?