PDA

View Full Version : Obama Is Bringing Overtime Pay To Millions Of Workers

Cigar
05-18-2016, 09:49 AM
The Labor Department announced Tuesday that it completed one of the most ambitious economic reforms of the Obama era, finalizing a new rule that will extend overtime protections to millions of additional workers.

The administration will accomplish that by raising what’s known as the overtime salary threshold. Nearly all workers earning salaries beneath that threshold are entitled to time-and-a-half pay whenever they work more than 40 hours in a week.

The current threshold is just $23,660. The White House will be doubling that number, to $47,476, guaranteeing overtime rights for salaried workers earning less than that. The Labor Department will now update the threshold every three years to make sure it keeps pace with inflation.

The White House estimates that the change will bring overtime rights to 4.2 million workers who are currently excluded. It will also clarify eligibility for another 8.9 million workers who may or may not have overtime protections under the current rules, officials said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-overtime-pay_us_5727b961e4b0bc9cb0442db9

https://youtu.be/qCRae5mRoRE

Subdermal
05-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Government should have nothing to do with that.

Cigar
05-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Government should have nothing to do with that.

You mean you're opinion wasn't solicited? :shocked:

Mac-7
05-18-2016, 10:12 AM

Not when obumer decides when to pay overtime.

no business owner has anything to say about it

MisterVeritis
05-18-2016, 10:12 AM
This means fewer jobs and less opportunity. Go Democrats.

Trump 2016

Hillary for Prison 2017.

Cigar
05-18-2016, 10:37 AM
This means fewer jobs and less opportunity. Go Democrats.

Trump 2016

Hillary for Prison 2017.

So is that a problem for you? :huh:

After all, isn't ObamaCare Killing Millions of Jobs already :laugh:

Subdermal
05-18-2016, 10:49 AM

No. My are opinion was not solicited.

Tahuyaman
05-18-2016, 02:44 PM
I've got an idea.

If one is disatsified with his pay and benefits, look for a different job.

waltky
05-22-2016, 02:24 AM
Obama on new overtime rule...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_thumbsup.gif
Obama Explains Administration’s New Rule That Businesses Must Pay Salaried Workers Overtime
May 21, 2016 | In his weekly address released today, President Barack Obama explained a new federal regulation finalized this week by the Department of Labor that will required employers to pay overtime to salaried workers who make less than $47,500 per year.

The federal-regulation-mandated overtime will kick in once the salaried worker has worked more than 40 hours in a week. “It’s a move that will boost wages for working Americans by $12 billion over the next 10 years,” Obama argued. “We’re more than doubling the overtime salary threshold,” he said. “And what that means is, most salaried workers who earn less than about $47,500 a year will qualify for overtime. Or, their employers can choose to give them a raise so that they earn more than $47,500. Or, if employers don’t want to raise wages, they can let them go home after 40 hours and see their families or train for new jobs.”

Here is the White House transcript of the president’s address:

Hi everybody. Last summer, I got a letter from a woman named Elizabeth Paredes from Tucson, Arizona. Elizabeth is the mom of a 3-year-old boy, and an assistant manager at a sandwich shop. She earns about $2,000 a month, and she routinely works some 50 hours a week, sometimes even more. But because of outdated overtime regulations, she doesn’t have to be paid a dime of overtime. She wrote: “It’s not easy work and requires a lot of time away from my son… at times I find [it's] not worth it.”

Things like the 40-hour workweek and overtime are two of the most basic pillars of a middle class life. But for all the changes we’ve seen in our economy, our overtime rules have only been updated once since the 1970s. Just once. In fact, forty years ago, more than 60 percent of workers were eligible for overtime based on their salaries. But today, that number is down to seven percent. Only seven percent of full-time salaried workers are eligible for overtime based on their income.

MORE (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/cnsnewscom-staff/obama-explains-administrations-new-rule-businesses-must-pay-salaried)

Peter1469
05-22-2016, 04:31 AM
They will be instructed to not work overtime.

zelmo1234
05-22-2016, 05:56 AM

And terminated when they don't get their work done.

Not to mention that this is heading toward the SCOTUS

Common
05-22-2016, 06:07 AM
Every working person deserves and should recieve overtime pay. No one should have to work any hours an employer says they have too without proper pay.

This attempt is too little to late by a president whose main endeavor has to been to do as much for special interests as he can and has ignored the working class.

Most NE states have state laws that says overtime at the rate of time and half must be paid to all employees who work over 40 hrs. Those laws have been on the books for years. This law is directed at southern states who notoriously allow employers to do whatever they want.

zelmo1234
05-22-2016, 06:58 AM
Every working person deserves and should recieve overtime pay. No one should have to work any hours an employer says they have too without proper pay.

This attempt is too little to late by a president whose main endeavor has to been to do as much for special interests as he can and has ignored the working class.

Most NE states have state laws that says overtime at the rate of time and half must be paid to all employees who work over 40 hrs. Those laws have been on the books for years. This law is directed at southern states who notoriously allow employers to do whatever they want.

I see no reason why State's can't institute Overtime laws.

Second, this is not a law, it was not passed by congress. This is an order from our supreme leader. And order which he has no authority to give and should have no legal binding.

What will happen is Full time Salary Staff will be illuminated and part time low wage staff or automation will take it's place.

Which is exactly what it is designed to do!

Common
05-22-2016, 07:03 AM
I see no reason why State's can't institute Overtime laws.

Second, this is not a law, it was not passed by congress. This is an order from our supreme leader. And order which he has no authority to give and should have no legal binding.

What will happen is Full time Salary Staff will be illuminated and part time low wage staff or automation will take it's place.

Which is exactly what it is designed to do!

Zelmo the south notoriously has underpaid people, its disgusting how low paid floridians are. Below the cost of living even in fla. Flas public workers are underpaid. Im talking working for a pay that doesnt allow you to live decently in the area you work in.

Sorry but the south needs federal laws for workers because southern states are owned by a handfull of rich and will never pass them on their own

zelmo1234
05-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Zelmo the south notoriously has underpaid people, its disgusting how low paid floridians are. Below the cost of living even in fla. Flas public workers are underpaid. Im talking working for a pay that doesnt allow you to live decently in the area you work in.

Sorry but the south needs federal laws for workers because southern states are owned by a handfull of rich and will never pass them on their own

Are they forced to take the jobs against their will?

Because this in not going to help them, instead of having a lower paying full time job with benefits, they are going to have 2 or 3 part time jobs with no benefits

That to me in not a good thing.

All of my hourly workers get overtime. In busy years like this year I reserve the right to require an additional 10 hours of mandatory overtime. But those that want to make a lot of money can really do so.

My Salary Staff does not get overtime, and while the law does not effect any of my staff, and never will. I know how I would handle it, if it did. They would not have a salary job and I would hire part time staff to help them out. Cutting my cost by at least 25%

So my question to you is, Obama and for that matter the Democrats have been legislating higher pay and more benefits for workers of the past 5 decades? What are the results of those actions to the worker on the street.

donttread
05-22-2016, 07:46 AM

One of the flaws here is that these rules should be designed around 2 week, 80 hour pay periods which are heavily utilized these days ( at least in health care and human services) . For example a company should be able to schedule a worker for 4 ,12 hour shifts one week and two 12 hour shifts and one eight hour shift the following week without incurring overtime pay.
Beyond that I have mixed feelings . I believe in paying your dues as you enter professional life, but on the other hand we all know the "manager trainee programs" from retail and fast food are often designed to deny overtime. I probably wouldn't go as high at 47 grand, or might utilize some graduated scale but I'll agree with Cigar here, there is some need for this.

zelmo1234
05-22-2016, 08:08 AM
One of the flaws here is that these rules should be designed around 2 week, 80 hour pay periods which are heavily utilized these days ( at least in health care and human services) . For example a company should be able to schedule a worker for 4 ,12 hour shifts one week and two 12 hour shifts and one eight hour shift the following week without incurring overtime pay.
Beyond that I have mixed feelings . I believe in paying your news as you enter professional life, but on the other hand we all know the "manager trainee programs" from retail and fast food are often designed to deny overtime. I probably wouldn't go as high at 47 grand, or might utilize some graduated scale but I'll agree with Cigar here, there is some need for this.

I don't understand why? People are not forced to work in one place. I have 2 more contractors leaving at the end of their next project to start their own company. Once again I am loosing 2 very good contractors, but am very excited for them, and will do anything that I can to help them succeed. They have saved up and bought homes to flip, even built one last winter and did very will and now want to try it on their own.

People can and do change jobs all the time. Some companies are not designed for you to make a career of. If assistant manager at McDonalds is your life's goal, then you are going to work a lot of hours for a little money

donttread
05-22-2016, 08:58 AM
I don't understand why? People are not forced to work in one place. I have 2 more contractors leaving at the end of their next project to start their own company. Once again I am loosing 2 very good contractors, but am very excited for them, and will do anything that I can to help them succeed. They have saved up and bought homes to flip, even built one last winter and did very will and now want to try it on their own.

People can and do change jobs all the time. Some companies are not designed for you to make a career of. If assistant manager at McDonalds is your life's goal, then you are going to work a lot of hours for a little money

At one time most salaried people in our nation were in very good jobs and made really good money. So if they had to work an occasional Saturday, no one, including them thought anything of it. But companies have learned to put lower level positions on salary specifically avoid paying overtime .
One acid test is this. If you are truly on salary and you work 60 hours one week and 24 the next you get paid the same. But many of today's "salaried workers" are punching time clocks .

MisterVeritis
05-22-2016, 11:00 AM
So is that a problem for you? :huh:

After all, isn't ObamaCare Killing Millions of Jobs already :laugh:
Less opportunity is not a problem for me. I am retired. But is is a problem for those entering the workforce. It is also another exercise in federal tyranny. Each step the feds take down this path to total control brings us closer to the start of the rebellion that will end it. Our Federal government is no longer legitimate.

MisterVeritis
05-22-2016, 11:04 AM
Further, everyone will work way less than 40 hours per week to ensure there are no mistakes. Why does Obama and the members of his regime hate those starting out?

We have seen the same problem with engineers. An entry-level engineer, if they become hourly employees will miss out on the field opportunities. Salaried employees will have those experiences instead. People will end up earning less.

Mini Me
05-22-2016, 05:24 PM

That's OK, if they hire more part timers to take up the slack!

Salaried workers are often exploited, and forced to work overtime for free! Everyone knows this! Even peter!

Peter1469
05-22-2016, 06:35 PM

Salaried workers are often exploited, and forced to work overtime for free! Everyone knows this! Even peter!

I work over time as needed. The new law doesn't affect me. Not by a long shot.

zelmo1234
05-22-2016, 09:32 PM

My Salary workers make 6 figures, darn right I expect them to work overtime. Lots of it.

leekohler2
05-22-2016, 10:16 PM

Good! Before my current job, the company I worked for demanded lots of overtime and weekends without any compensation. That company is now almost defunct. And our salaries were pretty poor.

leekohler2
05-22-2016, 10:17 PM

I do too. But the company I work for now does not abuse overtime.

zelmo1234
05-22-2016, 10:23 PM
Good! Before my current job, the company I worked for demanded lots of overtime and weekends without any compensation. That company is now almost defunct. And our salaries were pretty poor.

I think there are a lot of companies that abuse Salary, Retail is an industry that gives titles and Salary and people get screwed. But most Salary positions are high paying jobs or at least they should be. I expect a lot from my managers, and VP's but they make a lot of money as well.

Ransom
05-23-2016, 06:32 AM

You probably missed an entire street or circle. Look Lee.... even if it's quitting time...... you're the disposal engineer, you're gonna have to hop off that truck a few more times. The arm is mechanical now, it picks garbage cans up, empties them, and sets them back down. All ewe have to do is catch the filth that falls out or blows into People's yards. I keep a nice yard too, Lee, make sure you do a good job. Next Monday on garbage day perhaps you'll not dither about and start the truck up straight away. Chop chop.

Ransom
05-23-2016, 06:33 AM

Almost defunct as it finally learned you get what you pay for. Poor workmanship, poor salary. American Way!

Peter1469
05-23-2016, 03:50 PM

Generally I don't work overtime except for litigation. Regular office matters can wait, and if it is at my level as an emergency it is because others were sitting on it.

waltky
11-23-2016, 12:06 AM
Obama's executive order on overtime blocked...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
Judge blocks Obama rule extending overtime pay to 4.2 million U.S. workers
Tue Nov 22, 2016 | A federal judge on Tuesday blocked an Obama administration rule to extend mandatory overtime pay to more than 4 million salaried workers from taking effect, imperiling one of the outgoing president's signature achievements for boosting wages.

U.S. District Judge Amos Mazzant, in Sherman, Texas, agreed with 21 states and a coalition of business groups, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, that the rule is unlawful and granted their motion for a nationwide injunction. The rule, issued by the Labor Department, was to take effect Dec. 1 and would have doubled to $47,500 the maximum salary a worker can earn and still be eligible for mandatory overtime pay. The new threshold would have been the first significant change in four decades. It was expected to touch nearly every sector of the U.S. economy and have the greatest impact on nonprofit groups, retail companies, hotels and restaurants, which have many management workers whose salaries are below the new threshold.

The states and business groups claimed in lawsuits filed in September, which were later consolidated, that the drastic increase in the salary threshold was arbitrary. On Tuesday, Mazzant, who was appointed by President Barack Obama, ruled that the federal law governing overtime does not allow the Labor Department to decide which workers are eligible based on salary levels alone. The Fair Labor Standards Act says that employees can be exempt from overtime if they perform executive, administrative or professional duties, but the rule “creates essentially a de facto salary-only test,” Mazzant wrote in the 20-page ruling. The states and business groups that challenged the rule applauded the decision.

Nevada Attorney General Adam Paul Laxalt said in a statement that the ruling "reinforces the importance of the rule of law and constitutional government." The Labor Department said it strongly disagrees with the decision. It remains confident that the entire rule is legal, and it is currently considering its options, department spokesman Jason Surbey said. The Labor Department can appeal to the New Orleans, Louisiana-based 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, but that court has stymied the Obama administration before, blocking Obama’s executive actions on immigration in 2015. In any case, the Labor Department could drop the appeal after Republican President-elect Donald Trump takes office in January. In August, Trump told the website Circa that the overtime rule was an example of the type of burdensome business regulations he would seek to roll back as president, perhaps by exempting small businesses or delaying implementation.

Even if the rule survived the legal challenge, it could be upended by legislation passed by Congress or withdrawn by Trump's Department of Labor. U.S. Chamber of Commerce official Randy Johnson said in a statement that the rule would have been costly and disruptive to businesses. But Ross Eisenbrey of the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute, which supported the rule, called the decision "extreme and unsupportable." "It is also a disappointment to millions of workers who are forced to work long hours with no extra compensation, and is a blow to those Americans who care deeply about raising wages and lessening inequality," Eisenbrey said in a statement. The case is Nevada v. U.S. Department of Labor, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, No. 16-cv-731.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-employment-overtime-idUSKBN13H2JY

Cletus
11-23-2016, 12:08 AM
Wages are no business of the government.

donttread
11-23-2016, 06:58 AM
The Labor Department announced Tuesday that it completed one of the most ambitious economic reforms of the Obama era, finalizing a new rule that will extend overtime protections to millions of additional workers.

The administration will accomplish that by raising what’s known as the overtime salary threshold. Nearly all workers earning salaries beneath that threshold are entitled to time-and-a-half pay whenever they work more than 40 hours in a week.

The current threshold is just $23,660. The White House will be doubling that number, to $47,476, guaranteeing overtime rights for salaried workers earning less than that. The Labor Department will now update the threshold every three years to make sure it keeps pace with inflation.

The White House estimates that the change will bring overtime rights to 4.2 million workers who are currently excluded. It will also clarify eligibility for another 8.9 million workers who may or may not have overtime protections under the current rules, officials said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-overtime-pay_us_5727b961e4b0bc9cb0442db9

https://youtu.be/qCRae5mRoRE

Seems like a great idea but there are problems , including working with two week pay periods as many do. Many nurses, including LPN's, have no problem working 44 hours one week and 36 the next . It also creates hassels for employers who may delay hiring. Also why now? It's almost like he didn't want to be the one to deal with the unintended consquences , huh?

Peter1469
11-23-2016, 02:01 PM
A federal court put it on hold.

Seems like a great idea but there are problems , including working with two week pay periods as many do. Many nurses, including LPN's, have no problem working 44 hours one week and 36 the next . It also creates hassels for employers who may delay hiring. Also why now? It's almost like he didn't want to be the one to deal with the unintended consquences , huh?

patrickt
11-23-2016, 02:30 PM

And for thirty years I was willing to trade overtime pay for freedom in doing my job. Liberals can't understand that since they prefer slavery and can't tolerate it since they don't understand it. But, it does fit in with the Democrat goal of driving small businesses out of business.

Kudos with the federal court. Let's see how it plays with an administration that might be different.

Captain Obvious
11-23-2016, 02:47 PM
BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAA!!

Not anymore.

donttread
11-23-2016, 03:34 PM

My current employer is essentially me, but the people I contract for are excellent at giving comp time. I bend over backwards for them they do the same for me. A two way street built on trust and professionalism

Ethereal
11-23-2016, 04:38 PM
This will just result in companies reducing salaries, cutting back hours, and hiring less people.

But Democrats don't really care about results. As long as the policy is well-intentioned, that is good enough for them.

Ethereal
11-23-2016, 04:41 PM
Every working person deserves and should recieve overtime pay.

Why?

No one should have to work any hours an employer says they have too without proper pay.

They don't have to. They can quit whenever they want.

patrickt
11-23-2016, 07:24 PM
Proper pay? I guess that's like "living wage" and means whatever the leftists want it to mean at the time.

donttread
11-24-2016, 07:12 AM
This will just result in companies reducing salaries, cutting back hours, and hiring less people.

But Democrats don't really care about results. As long as the policy is well-intentioned, that is good enough for them.

If Obama believed this was really a good idea why didn't he do it BRFORE the dems lost the whitehouse?