PDA

View Full Version : Economics has failed America

Peter1469
05-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Economics has failed America (http://Economics has failed America)

This article argues that the push towards globalism, encouraged by many economists, was short-sighted and wrong. Some benefited. Many others did not. Particularly the poor and the middle class.

As a recovering economist writing on behalf of my erstwhile field, I would like to apologize to every American who has lost a job or a livelihood because of globalization. Economics has failed you. It has failed you because of ideology, politics, and laziness. It has failed you because its teachings are woefully incomplete, and its greatest exponents have done almost nothing to complete them.
There are “positive” questions in economics that have mathematical answers — things that simply must be true — and then there are “normative” questions that amount to value judgments on points of policy. In economics classes, we teach the former and usually stop short when faced with the latter. This leaves a hole in any discussion of economic policy; students acquire first principles but rarely consider real-world applications, because to do so would presuppose a social or political point of view.

In the case of free trade and globalization, this omission has been disastrous. All first-year students of economics learn the theory of comparative advantage and gains from trade. They see a mathematical proof showing that when two countries trade goods or services, the benefits to the winners outweigh the costs to the losers. They are assured, correctly, that this result allows everyone to be made better off — or at least no worse off — by trade.

Read the rest at the link.

Chris
05-21-2016, 01:01 PM
Would agree. In basic terms, globalism requires central planning. Better to leave economies local and unplanned.

Note, globalism and free trade do not go hand in hand. Globalism is pushed by managed trade like NAFTA, CAFTA, SHAFT-YA. Free trade is unmanaged beyond the firm or coop.

Tahuyaman
05-21-2016, 02:03 PM
Economics hasn't failed. Politicians and politically motivated economists have failed.

Peter1469
05-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Economics hasn't failed. Politicians and politically motivated economists have failed.

The author would agree with that.

Chris
05-21-2016, 04:23 PM
Very broadly, economics offer general advice, like Adam Smith on trade, until Keynes came along and said exactly what politicians want to hear, that they could manage the economy; Friedman offered plenty of advice politicians tended not to appreciate--I still go with Hayek who said "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

Mac-7
05-23-2016, 07:10 AM

The economists said free trade was good because everybody would get cheaper cell phones.

And for many libertarians that was all they needed to hear.

now we read the most absurd defenses for globalization from them because they are too small minded to admit they were wrong.

Cigar
05-23-2016, 07:12 AM
What, Austerity doesn't work? :shocked:

zelmo1234
05-23-2016, 07:27 AM

I guess that we will find out. The best that the economy did under Obama was the Sequestration.

So we will see what works better Austerity or Insolvency.

Mac-7
05-23-2016, 07:29 AM

According to a few here lower wages for Ameican workers is not a problem because they can buy cheaper iphones

Tahuyaman
05-23-2016, 09:08 AM

what does that have to do with free trade?

Tahuyaman
05-23-2016, 09:09 AM
According to a few here lower wages for Ameican workers is not a problem because they can buy cheaper iphones

I'd like to know where these cheap iPhones are. Mine cost around $700.00.

maineman
05-23-2016, 09:18 AM
mine was free with my two year plan with Telcel.

Mac-7
05-23-2016, 10:25 AM
I'd like to know where these cheap iPhones are. Mine cost around $700.00.

According to a few anarchists here its cheap compared to $1300 they think it would cost if made in America.

besides most carriers will give you last year's whoop-tee-do must-have model for free this year with a 2 year contract.

Tahuyaman
05-23-2016, 10:34 AM
mine was free with my two year plan with Telcel.

What, an iPhone 4?