PDA

View Full Version : Almost All Sunglasses Are Made By The Same Company

Conley
09-19-2011, 10:04 AM
I know, this seems like a stretch here, but this is actually pretty interesting. It was all news to me:

1. Most sunglasses are made by the same company. Do you prefer the "quality" of Ray-Ban to Oakley? Do you think Bulgari is better than Dolce & Gabbana, or Salvatore Ferragamo is better than Prada? Wake up. They're all made by one company, Italian manufacturer Luxottica–one of the biggest consumer companies that consumers have never heard of. Luxottica also makes sunglasses branded Burberry, Chanel, Polo Ralph Lauren, Paul Smith, Stella McCartney, Tiffany, Versace, Vogue, Persol, Miu Miu, Tory Burch and Donna Karan.

"We manufacture about 70% of those brands in our factories in Italy, and the balance in America and China," says Luxottica spokesman Luca Biondolillo. "We do the design, the manufacturing, and the marketing," he adds. The company makes most of those brands under license, working closely with designers at the relevant fashion houses. But it owns several brands itself, including Ray-Ban, Oakley, Oliver Peoples and REVO.

2. In many cases, the same company is also selling you the glasses. Luxottica also owns LensCrafters, Pearle Vision and Sunglass Hut. This is extreme vertical integration. The eye doctor telling you that you need a new pair of glasses, the sales people helping you choose them and the people who design and make the glasses all work for the same company. Make of it what you will. But if your financial advisor was actually employed by the mutual fund company that he recommended for your portfolio, you'd at least want to know.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704518904575365362932852610.html

Dang, talk about a great business plan. Looks like it has been reflected in the stock price too...wish I had known this before it doubled!

Mister D
09-19-2011, 10:16 AM
OH SHIT. :D :o

Conley
09-19-2011, 10:17 AM

You wouldn't be laughing if you bought a $500 pair of Guccis! ;D

MMC
09-19-2011, 12:15 PM

You wouldn't be laughing if you bought a $500 pair of Guccis! ;D

Whew<<<<<wipes swet from brow......good thing I get mine from the dollar store. O0

Mister D
09-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I never wear them.

Conley
09-19-2011, 12:39 PM
I never wear them.

What about eye protection?

Mister D
09-19-2011, 12:50 PM
I never wear them.

It's not like I'm out roaming the tundra. I already wear glasses anyhow.

Conley
09-19-2011, 01:12 PM
I never wear them.

UV protection homie! It's like sunscreen for your eyeballs...protect yoself!

Guess it's not quite as bright in Jersey vs. SD, but still.

Mister D
09-19-2011, 02:02 PM
I never wear them.

UV protection homie! It's like sunscreen for your eyeballs...protect yoself!

Guess it's not quite as bright in Jersey vs. SD, but still.

I don't think you need protection in most situations but I will thin about anm inexpensive pair. Mine will have tio prescription though.

Conley
09-19-2011, 02:08 PM
You ever think about LASIK?

Mister D
09-19-2011, 02:20 PM

I have even though it's pretty expensive. Thats considered cosmetic so my insurance doesn't cover it. Rightly so, IMO. The thing is that I've been wearing glasses since I was 9 or 10. I feel almost naked without them. :o It's always an option though. I mean if I had the $$$ to burn I probably would.

Conley
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM

I got mine done relatively cheaply about fifteen years ago. It is an expense out of pocket but I figured I've saved that much with the cost of glasses and contacts, solutions, optometrist appointments, etc.

Mister D
09-19-2011, 02:31 PM

I got mine done relatively cheaply about fifteen years ago. It is an expense out of pocket but I figured I've saved that much with the cost of glasses and contacts, solutions, optometrist appointments, etc.

My father has retired but he used to be an eyeglass salesman. He sold the frames for a few different companies. He was in the field for 40 years or more so he alwaysd got my stuff for "free" (i.e. trades etc.). I never paid for anything. Now your solution makes sense for me. I'll have to research it.

Conley
09-19-2011, 02:50 PM

My father has retired but he used to be an eyeglass salesman. He sold the frames for a few different companies. He was in the field for 40 years or more so he alwaysd got my stuff for "free" (i.e. trades etc.). I never paid for anything. Now your solution makes sense for me. I'll have to research it.

Think of it in terms of home defense too! You're awoken in the middle of the night...do you reach for your spectacles or your Double Defense first? Every second counts!

Seriously though it has been great...I needed my glasses all the time, would only take them off for showering and sleeping. For the first few months afterward I felt like I had super powers.

Mister D
09-19-2011, 02:55 PM

Think of it in terms of home defense too! You're awoken in the middle of the night...do you reach for your spectacles or your Double Defense first? Every second counts!

Seriously though it has been great...I needed my glasses all the time, would only take them off for showering and sleeping. For the first few months afterward I felt like I had super powers.

F that! That's why I may invest in the DD. I'm redecorating with buckshot. Everything that ain't me is getting smoked. For real. >:( ;D

I'm going to look into to it. I use my glasses all the time too even though I don;t need them for reading. I just hold the book far away.