PDA

View Full Version : Colin Powell says he’s only still a republican because “it annoys them”

Cigar
05-23-2016, 10:36 AM
http://13458-presscdn-0-97.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/colin-powell-150x150.jpg

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who served in several republican administrations but has endorsed a democrat in each of the past two Presidential elections and has also sided with the democratic party on the recent Iran deal, was asked today whether he still considers himself a member of the republican party. His answer aimed for humor but also may have also highlighted the future for a party in chaos: “I want to continue to be a Republican because it annoys them.”

Powell is one of the relatively few Reagan-era republicans left in public life. Although he hasn’t held office since retiring from the State Department a decade ago, he’s remained in the public eye and has routinely weighed in on political issues which he feels are important. To his mind, he’s still the same moderate conservative as ever. But he views the republican party as having moved far to the right since back when he was a key figure in it. His response suggests that he’ll remain a registered republican for life, and that others in his position may do the same even as they see their party becoming unrecognizable and find themselves forced to vote democrat instead.

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/colin-powell-says-hes-only-still-a-republican-because-it-annoys-them/22659/

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Cartoon-Character-Mutley-Laughing.gif

Cletus
05-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Powell's relevance has long since passed.

Tahuyaman
05-23-2016, 11:02 AM
It's amazing how intelligent people can say such stupid things. Politics is a disease which rots the human brain.

MisterVeritis
05-23-2016, 11:03 AM
http://13458-presscdn-0-97.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/colin-powell-150x150.jpg

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, ...
He lacks honor.

Private Pickle
05-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Well that's a great foundation for one's political beliefs.

Cigar
05-23-2016, 11:19 AM
:laugh:

Mac-7
05-23-2016, 11:26 AM

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who served in several republican administrations but has endorsed a democrat in each of the past two Presidential elections and has also sided with the democratic party on the recent Iran deal, was asked today whether he still considers himself a member of the republican party. His answer aimed for humor but also may have also highlighted the future for a party in chaos: “I want to continue to be a Republican because it annoys them.”

Powell is one of the relatively few Reagan-era republicans left in public life. Although he hasn’t held office since retiring from the State Department a decade ago, he’s remained in the public eye and has routinely weighed in on political issues which he feels are important. To his mind, he’s still the same moderate conservative as ever. But he views the republican party as having moved far to the right since back when he was a key figure in it. His response suggests that he’ll remain a registered republican for life, and that others in his position may do the same even as they see their party becoming unrecognizable and find themselves forced to vote democrat instead.

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/colin-powell-says-hes-only-still-a-republican-because-it-annoys-them/22659/

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Cartoon-Character-Mutley-Laughing.gif

Thats all libs have to offer is hatred for traditional America.

Cigar
05-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Thats all libs have to offer is hatred for traditional America.

I Hope Traditional America Burns to the Ground ... then I'll Piss on it to Snuff out Flames :grin:

birddog
05-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Powell has always been a RINO, and a mediocre General also.

jimmyz
05-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Another person famous for being "the first black" something or another. What great accomplishments has he achieved to make his voice relevant now?

Tahuyaman
05-23-2016, 12:34 PM
I Hope Traditional America Burns to the Ground ... then I'll Piss on it to Snuff out Flames :grin:

So, the ideals this nation were founded upon are abhorrent to you, huh?

Tahuyaman
05-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Powell has always been a RINO, and a mediocre General also.

He was not a mediocre General officer. He was a very good General. He simply let politics compromise his principles. Once he quit being a General and became a politician, he lost his integrity.

Politics has a way of destroying or diminishing a person's character.

MisterVeritis
05-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Is it all that individual liberty stuff that offends you?

Tahuyaman
05-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Is it all that individual liberty stuff that offends you?

individualism and personal achievement is repulsive to people like him.

Mac-7
05-24-2016, 04:39 AM

Of course you do.

thats why ungrateful people like you and colin powell are dragging America down.

birddog
05-24-2016, 12:16 PM
He was not a mediocre General officer. He was a very good General. He simply let politics compromise his principles. Once he quit being a General and became a politician, he lost his integrity.

Politics has a way of destroying or diminishing a person's character.

True on the politics, but I still would not agree he was a "very good" General. He did an acceptable job perhaps.

Tahuyaman
05-24-2016, 12:20 PM
True on the politics, but I still would not agree he was a "very good" General. He did an acceptable job perhaps.

Based on my experience, he was a top shelf General officer. He did an excellent job.

Gen Powell has two stories. One as a great Army leader and another as an appointed politician out of uniform. The latter legacy has tarnished the former.

Politics runied him.

Tahuyaman
05-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Of course you do.

thats why ungrateful people like you and colin powell are dragging America down.

Colin Powell is not dragging America down. He lowered himself and now he's irrelevant.

AZ Jim
05-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Powell will pay now for breaking from the herd!

Tahuyaman
05-24-2016, 03:03 PM
Powell will pay now for breaking from the herd!

Where have you been for the last eight years. Freeze dried? He "left the herd" nearly a decade ago.

birddog
05-24-2016, 03:03 PM
Based on my experience, he was a top shelf General officer. He did an excellent job.

Gen Powell has two stories. One as a great Army leader and another as an appointed politician out of uniform. The latter legacy has tarnished the former.

Politics runied him.

Perhaps I was less impressed with him as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

Tahuyaman
05-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Perhaps I was less impressed with him as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

I thought he did a very good job there too. I have no issue with his performance while he was in uniform. He was a very fine General.

Like I said, he has two vastly different personas. He basically compromised his integrity to get back in the good graces of the media. It worked. The media loves him again.

Politics can do that.

birddog
05-24-2016, 03:42 PM
I thought he did a very good job there too. I have no issue with his performance while he was in uniform. He was a very fine General.

Like I said, he has two vastly different personas. He basically compromised his integrity to get back in the good graces of the media. It worked. The media loves him again.

Politics can do that.

True, and I'm going by memory back to the nineties or early part of this century.

silvereyes
05-24-2016, 03:50 PM

Okay, here goes: what the hell is wrong with you? Sometimes I just want to choke you.
*smh*

Adelaide
05-24-2016, 04:37 PM
I think that is extremely foolish. I actually normally enjoy what Powell has to say but to remain part of a political party when you clearly don't hold the same values just to "annoy" them? Ridiculous.

Tahuyaman
05-24-2016, 04:40 PM
I think that is extremely foolish. I actually normally enjoy what Powell has to say but to remain part of a political party when you clearly don't hold the same values just to "annoy" them? Ridiculous.

Agreed.

It doesn't sound like the Colin Powell who was a very fine and highly professional Army General officer.