PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Throws Out Death Sentence From All-White Jury

Cigar
05-23-2016, 11:56 AM
The Supreme Court ruled decisively in favor of a death-row inmate in Georgia on Monday, chastising state prosecutors for improperly keeping African-Americans off the jury that convicted him of killing a white woman.

The justices ruled 7-1 in favor of death row inmate Timothy Tyrone Foster in underscoring the importance of rules they laid out in 1986 to prevent racial discrimination in the selection of juries.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court that Georgia "prosecutors were motivated in substantial part by race" when they struck African-Americans from the jury pool.

But the court did nothing to limit peremptory strikes, lawyers' ability to reject potential jurors without offering any reason. The late Thurgood Marshall once said that racial discrimination would persist in jury selection unless peremptory strikes were curtailed.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/05/23/us/politics/ap-us-supreme-court-all-white-jury.html

Wouldn't you know the dissenter is Thomas ... so much for Tradition :laugh:

leekohler2
05-23-2016, 12:21 PM
The devil is preparing a special place in hell for Clarence Thomas.

MisterVeritis
05-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Why would you think that? Is is that he doesn't go along with the leftist tyranny sweeping the nation?

Thomas deferred to the state judges who examined the evidence. That is a reasonable stance in a Federal system.

Tahuyaman
05-23-2016, 01:22 PM
The Supreme Court ruled decisively in favor of a death-row inmate in Georgia on Monday, chastising state prosecutors for improperly keeping African-Americans off the jury that convicted him of killing a white woman.

The justices ruled 7-1 in favor of death row inmate Timothy Tyrone Foster in underscoring the importance of rules they laid out in 1986 to prevent racial discrimination in the selection of juries.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court that Georgia "prosecutors were motivated in substantial part by race" when they struck African-Americans from the jury pool.

But the court did nothing to limit peremptory strikes, lawyers' ability to reject potential jurors without offering any reason. The late Thurgood Marshall once said that racial discrimination would persist in jury selection unless peremptory strikes were curtailed.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/05/23/us/politics/ap-us-supreme-court-all-white-jury.html

Did he committ the murder?

Tahuyaman
05-23-2016, 01:23 PM

Why?

Common
05-23-2016, 01:51 PM

I bet he cares what you think lol

Common
05-23-2016, 01:51 PM
I dont have a bit of a problem with this, if they guy wasnt given a fair shake then good they cut him loose

Cigar
05-23-2016, 01:57 PM

He's a Conservative Republican, that's plenty Hell :laugh:

I lifetime of B!tching and Complaining :tongue:

FindersKeepers
05-23-2016, 02:21 PM

Eventually, I think we'll see a lot of death penalty convictions commuted to life in prison.

But, that said, the defendant in this case admits that he killed the 79 year old woman, so the guy was going to the Big House one way or the other.

And -- SCOTUS decision does not set him free, after all. Its intent is to send the message to trial attorneys to be more careful when selecting juries and to be more inclusive regarding race.

leekohler2
05-23-2016, 02:26 PM

People like that always get what's coming them eventually.

This is a forum. We give opinions. I doubt he cares what you think either.

Safety
05-23-2016, 04:37 PM

Georgia...The South....court rigged against blacks? Color me surprised.

What did Zimmerman have to say about it?

JDubya
05-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Georgia...The South....court rigged against blacks? Color me surprised.

What did Zimmerman have to say about it?

Black male..... murdered an elderly white woman? Color me surprised.

What did BLM have to say about it?

Safety
05-23-2016, 05:01 PM
Black male..... murdered an elderly white woman? Color me surprised.

What did BLM have to say about it?

Don't feel like blaming the victim on this one?

Did Hillary testify that he was a super predator?

JDubya
05-23-2016, 05:51 PM
Don't feel like blaming the victim on this one?

Given that she was in bed asleep when he broke into her home, beat, stabbed and raped her prior to strangling her to death, I really don't see where she could conceivably bear any blame or responsibility for it.

Certainly not like some POS thug who dies after openly breaking the law in plain sight then refusing to cooperate with police and resisting arrest. The idea that these people are "victims" is ridiculous.

Did Hillary testify that he was a super predator?

Doubtful, but he sounds like he probably fits the description.

Safety
05-23-2016, 05:53 PM
Given that she was in bed asleep when he broke into her home, beat, stabbed and raped her prior to strangling her to death, I really don't see where she could conceivably bear any blame or responsibility for it.

Certainly not like some POS thug who dies after openly breaking the law in plain sight then refusing to cooperate with police and resisting arrest. The idea that these people are "victims" is ridiculous.

It's easy to do when wearing a victim cape. You don't have one?

Doubtful, but he sounds like he probably fits the description.

Which one gave it away, the black male or the black male?

Tahuyaman
05-23-2016, 06:58 PM
I dont have a bit of a problem with this, if they guy wasnt given a fair shake then good they cut him loose

apperently, he's just getting a new trail. He confessed to killing the woman and sexually assaulting her with a bottle.

JDubya
05-23-2016, 10:44 PM
apperently, he's just getting a new trail. He confessed to killing the woman and sexually assaulting her with a bottle.

I think he's getting his sentence commuted to life.

Tahuyaman
05-23-2016, 10:49 PM
I think he's getting his sentence commuted to life.

I believe the the article posted said that his sentence and conviction was overturned and he's getting a new trial.

donttread
05-24-2016, 08:33 AM

Don't worry it's not like they meant that whole death penalty thing. How could they have, it's been 29 years. I'd like to know two things though
1) Shouldn't the conviction, not just the penalty be called into question?
2) Did his defense attorney do everything within his power to construct a more balanced jury?

Tahuyaman
05-24-2016, 08:43 AM
1) Shouldn't the conviction, not just the penalty be called into question?

Taken from the very first sentence of the article............
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court upended the conviction and death sentence of a black Georgia man

JDubya
05-24-2016, 08:57 AM
So IOW, they're going to try him again with a jury purposely loaded with people who will ignore the evidence and acquit him based on his skin color just like they did in the OJ case.

Wonderful.

donttread
05-24-2016, 09:47 AM
Taken from the very first sentence of the article............

Sorry, my bad, I missed that and then the focus seemed to go right to the so called "death penalty"

donttread
05-24-2016, 09:49 AM
So IOW, they're going to try him again with a jury purposely loaded with people who will ignore the evidence and acquit him based on his skin color just like they did in the OJ case.

Wonderful.

Well he's done 29 years, let him out with a lifetime ankle bracelet and save the tax payers some money

MisterVeritis
05-24-2016, 09:54 AM
Well he's done 29 years, let him out with a lifetime ankle bracelet and save the tax payers some money
How many years has his victim done? Oh, yeah, the perp murdered her.

Tahuyaman
05-24-2016, 10:08 AM

when you kill someone, especially and old woman in her sleep and sexually assault her with a bottle, I am of the belief that you lose your right to freedom.

I do oppose the death penalty, but I don't oppose life without parole in certain occasions.

donttread
05-24-2016, 11:56 AM
How many years has his victim done? Oh, yeah, the perp murdered her.

I know, but many murderers are paroled shy of the 30 years he's done.
It would be cheaper and less messy to just offer him my deal

JDubya
05-24-2016, 12:40 PM
I know, but many murderers are paroled shy of the 30 years he's done.
It would be cheaper and less messy to just offer him my deal

There's a difference between murder and brutal murder, though.

The brutality of his actions classifies this as a heinous crime.

He should never see the light of day again, no matter how much it costs.

Kurmugeon
05-25-2016, 12:22 AM

He probably does have a special place in the devil's rotten heart. Right beside PolPot and Stalin.

-