PDA

View Full Version : Should conservatives support Donald Trump?

pjohns
05-26-2016, 06:21 PM
Just today, Donald Trump officially secured the GOP nomination, by passing the requisite 1,237 delegates committed to him. (I have seen the count variously placed at 1,238 or 1,239). And California is still to come.

On April 29--just under a month ago--George Will (full disclosure: He is probably my favorite syndicated political columnist) penned the following:

"Were [Donald Trump] to be nominated, conservatives would have two tasks. One would be to help him lose 50 states — condign punishment for his comprehensive disdain for conservative essentials, including the manners and grace that should lubricate the nation’s civic life. Second, conservatives can try to save from the anti-Trump undertow as many senators, representatives, governors and state legislators as possible."

The counter-argument is that, yes, Trump is very bad--but Hillary Clinton is even worse; and we do not want four years--perhaps even eight--of a Hillary Clinton administration. The country might not be able to withstand it.

Personally, I find both arguments rather compelling--we do not want the GOP to be transmuted forever by a hostile takeover by Donald Trump--but the second argument even more so. (Four--or even eight--years of Hillary Clinton is simply unthinkable, in my opinion.)

What do others think, who do not care for Donald Trump, but who like Hillary Clinton even less?

MMC
05-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Just today, Donald Trump officially secured the GOP nomination, by passing the requisite 1,237 delegates committed to him. (I have seen the count variously placed at 1,238 or 1,239). And California is still to come.

On April 29--just under a month ago--George Will (full disclosure: He is probably my favorite syndicated political columnist) penned the following:

"Were [Donald Trump] to be nominated, conservatives would have two tasks. One would be to help him lose 50 states — condign punishment for his comprehensive disdain for conservative essentials, including the manners and grace that should lubricate the nation’s civic life. Second, conservatives can try to save from the anti-Trump undertow as many senators, representatives, governors and state legislators as possible."

The counter-argument is that, yes, Trump is very bad--but Hillary Clinton is even worse; and we do not want four years--perhaps even eight--of a Hillary Clinton administration. The country might not be able to withstand it.

Personally, I find both arguments rather compelling--we do not want the GOP to be transmuted forever by a hostile takeover by Donald Trump--but the second argument even more so. (Four--or even eight--years of Hillary Clinton is simply unthinkable, in my opinion.)

What do others think, who do not care for Donald Trump, but who like Hillary Clinton even less?

Yes they need to vote for him. Hillary cannot be allowed to replace 2 SCOTUS judges. Moreover.....she would continue BO peeps policies. Not all of them but most and or majority.

She also has been compromised by those overseas. Thru pay to play and giving up breaches of National Security. Her judgement with people is a problem as well. As she will keep those around her......who already have proven under a BO peep Administration that they are failures and can't handle those overseas.

The US will go down as being Corrupt and get played for suckers. While she will continue to worsen the debt and economy.

In essence she will weaken the US even more than BO peep has.

Mac-7
05-26-2016, 06:47 PM
Of course.

gary johnson is a loser and hillary is far worse than trump

Tahuyaman
05-26-2016, 07:07 PM
I'm a conservative and I refuse to vote for a candidate I know would be a disaster as POTUS.

MMC
05-26-2016, 07:34 PM
I'm a conservative and I refuse to vote for a candidate I know would be a disaster as POTUS.

Think of it this way.....If Trump cant follow thru or handle the job. In 2020 The Repubs can take him down. The Demos wont have anybody of note. The Repubs then hold serve for a second term. That pushes the Demos out for the next decade. Their policies can be then sent to the appropriate waste can. Which then all BO the peep has damaged can be repaired.

Already they have no bench, they are down to their lowest levels since the Civil War. Their major cities are failing and falling off into decadence.

waltky
05-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Granny says ever'body oughta support Trump...

... `cuase he gonna build a wall...

... an' make Mexico pay fer it...

... to keep alla jihadis and Hispexicans onna other side o' the border.

MMC
05-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Granny says ever'body oughta support Trump...

... `cuase he gonna build a wall...

... an' make Mexico pay fer it...

... to keep alla jihadis and Hispexicans onna other side o' the border.

More important is the SCOTUS and Cleaning up the Appellate, also the DOJ, the Military and most of all the State Dept.

Any connected to Clinton and or BO peep. Need to be chased out to pasture.

Cigar
05-26-2016, 07:46 PM

Better check your Twitter Inbox ... I predict and insult coming.

zelmo1234
05-26-2016, 07:47 PM
Should Conservatives support Trump? That only they can decide.

The reason for supporting Trump certainly can't be that he is a Conservative. Trump is not conservative.

But what I have said in the past, and I believe is true. Trump destroys the establishment that has prevented Conservative policies from being passed or enforced.

That is why I am supporting Mr. Trump.

For those that can't support Mr. Trump, I understand, however, there are likely consequences of your actions. #1 Hillary will win the election, and she will appoint at least 2 and possible 3 Justices. 2 of which are conservative leaving the court at 6 to 3 liberal.

This will end any possibility for conservative reforms for at least the next 50 years, because any conservative reform will be declared unconstitutional by the court.

And last Trump is likely the only possibility to avoid insolvency, though the chance is still slim.

So with those 2 factors I will be very hard on those that help Hillary get elected. When they are bitching about the decline of the USA, I will be sure to be thinking them for that.

Mister D
05-26-2016, 07:48 PM
I'll be voting for Trump. I'm not conservative in the contemporary American sense of that term but I do consider myself conservative in a broader sense.

Cigar
05-26-2016, 07:51 PM
I'll be voting for Trump. I'm not conservative in the contemporary American sense of that term but I do consider myself conservative in a broader sense.

What a Surprise, the resident Klan Member is Voting for some Rump. :laugh:

zelmo1234
05-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Better check your Twitter Inbox ... I predict and insult coming.

I don't think that you can insult someone for holding to their principles. So I would tell folks that just can't put the trigger for Trump.

I understand, but, Be careful when you are complaining about things like the make up of the court, or taxations, gun control. I think if you stand on those principles, you kind of loose your right to bitch about the direction of the country as actions have consequences.

Cigar
05-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Should Conservatives support Trump? That only they can decide.

The reason for supporting Trump certainly can't be that he is a Conservative. Trump is not conservative.

But what I have said in the past, and I believe is true. Trump destroys the establishment that has prevented Conservative policies from being passed or enforced.

That is why I am supporting Mr. Trump.

For those that can't support Mr. Trump, I understand, however, there are likely consequences of your actions. #1 Hillary will win the election, and she will appoint at least 2 and possible 3 Justices. 2 of which are conservative leaving the court at 6 to 3 liberal.

This will end any possibility for conservative reforms for at least the next 50 years, because any conservative reform will be declared unconstitutional by the court.

And last Trump is likely the only possibility to avoid insolvency, though the chance is still slim.

So with those 2 factors I will be very hard on those that help Hillary get elected. When they are $#@!ing about the decline of the USA, I will be sure to be thinking them for that.

I'd prefer Bernie ... but looks like he's going to come up short, and besides, Bernie is going to have a lot of influence on policy going forward.

Say whatever you want about Clinton, but she's not a Moron like Rump.

zelmo1234
05-26-2016, 07:54 PM

So what are the most raciest statements that you think Mr. Trump has made?

Cigar
05-26-2016, 07:55 PM
I don't think that you can insult someone for holding to their principles. So I would tell folks that just can't put the trigger for Trump.

I understand, but, Be careful when you are complaining about things like the make up of the court, or taxations, gun control. I think if you stand on those principles, you kind of loose your right to $#@! about the direction of the country as actions have consequences.

What principles do Rump stand for?

zelmo1234
05-26-2016, 07:56 PM
I'd prefer Bernie ... but looks like he's going to come up short, and besides, Bernie is going to have a lot of influence on policy going forward.

Say whatever you want about Clinton, but she's not a Moron like Rump.

I agree, Hillary is twice the Moron, Trump is.

And besides that according to Clinton, and Biden, just a few years ago Obama would have been serving them drinks. That is the kind of folks that I think the country deserves.

Cigar
05-26-2016, 07:57 PM
So what are the most raciest statements that you think Mr. Trump has made?

I don't like what he says about Muslims, Mexican and Woman ... and that's plenty enough for me.

I honestly don't think Trump is a Racist ... but I know for sure he'll use Racist, because they are Stupid enough to believe anything Trump tells them just to get their Vote.

zelmo1234
05-26-2016, 07:59 PM

You have to read my posts. I have certainly said that Trump is not conservative. He is populist, and that means he does not stand for much of anything. Kind of like liberals.

Anyone voting for Trump is doing so for very few reasons the first usually is that he will destroy the establishment that has prevent conservative reforms. The second is that he will actually do something about illegal immigration. some think that he will try and stop outsourcing, I have my doubts. But he certainly will support the nations military and law enforcement, and that will be a pleasant change form what we have today.

Cigar
05-26-2016, 08:00 PM
I agree, Hillary is twice the Moron, Trump is.

And besides that according to Clinton, and Biden, just a few years ago Obama would have been serving them drinks. That is the kind of folks that I think the country deserves.

A few years ago Obama could have been teach Washington Lawyers ... but hey, I love allowing people to think whatever they want. :grin:

Cigar
05-26-2016, 08:01 PM
You have to read my posts. I have certainly said that Trump is not conservative. He is populist, and that means he does not stand for much of anything. Kind of like liberals.

Anyone voting for Trump is doing so for very few reasons the first usually is that he will destroy the establishment that has prevent conservative reforms. The second is that he will actually do something about illegal immigration. some think that he will try and stop outsourcing, I have my doubts. But he certainly will support the nations military and law enforcement, and that will be a pleasant change form what we have today.

BS, Trump is a Business Man and Opportunist ... nothing more.

He's never been put to any test.

zelmo1234
05-26-2016, 08:07 PM
I don't like what he says about Muslims, Mexican and Woman ... and that's plenty enough for me.

I honestly don't think Trump is a Racist ... but I know for sure he'll use Racist, because they are Stupid enough to believe anything Trump tells them just to get their Vote.

Hate to ask this but I am going to need some further information. What are those exact statements that he has made about Muslims, Mexicans, and Women that you have issues with.

You see there are those that are twisting things, I am sure that you are too smart for that. So I am sure that you have those attacks on the broad segments that you have listed.

MMC
05-26-2016, 08:09 PM

What Principles does Hillary stand for? We know Honesty and accountability aren't included.

Tahuyaman
05-26-2016, 08:14 PM
?.. I'm not conservative in the contemporary American sense of that term but I do consider myself conservative in a broader sense.

what does that mean?

zelmo1234
05-26-2016, 08:17 PM
A few years ago Obama could have been teach Washington Lawyers ... but hey, I love allowing people to think whatever they want. :grin:

And just a few years ago Biden and Clinton made those statements. Yet, they were never labeled racist?

I wonder why, those certainly were terrible things to say about a person based on the color of his skin.

Why do you think that they got a pass.

Mister D
05-26-2016, 08:19 PM
what does that mean?

It means I'm not a free market devotee, a fan of US imperialism and I don't believe in a "propositional nation", for example. Basically, I reject much of what we call classical liberalism.

Mac-7
05-26-2016, 08:56 PM

Illegal alien control and international trade reform

Dr. Who
05-26-2016, 09:55 PM

Unless a member states that they are a member of an organization, suggesting that they are is both false and in bad faith. Further such baseless accusations will result in a thread ban.

Tahuyaman
05-26-2016, 10:37 PM
It means I'm not a free market devotee, a fan of US imperialism and I don't believe in a "propositional nation", for example. Basically, I reject much of what we call classical liberalism.

Ok. What do you belive in?

Peter1469
05-27-2016, 05:04 AM
To correct the OP, conservatives are not on the verge of rebellion over Trump. Neoconservatives are. Neoconservatives are as conservative as Hillary. They are Democrats who bailed out of that party in the late 1960s for removing national defense from the platform.

Let those worms go back to the democratic party. (http://inthesetimes.com/article/18998/neocon-war-hawks-want-hillary-clinton-over-donald-trump.-no-surprisetheyve)

MMC
05-27-2016, 06:37 AM
To correct the OP, conservatives are not on the verge of rebellion over Trump. Neoconservatives are. Neoconservatives are as conservative as Hillary. They are Democrats who bailed out of that party in the late 1960s for removing national defense from the platform.

Let those worms go back to the democratic party. (http://inthesetimes.com/article/18998/neocon-war-hawks-want-hillary-clinton-over-donald-trump.-no-surprisetheyve)

They wont go on their own.....its time to chase them out. Do it after the election so they know where to go for the next one.

Any Repubs voting for Hillary. Needs to be fronted off and brought out into the open. As they aren't Repubs to vote for a sell out of the country. Their not Conservatives thinking about the future of this country. Their not thinking about doing the Right thing.

All they are, is Demos undercover. Wanting to keep the leftness in power. Keeping the division going on in the GOP.

pjohns
05-27-2016, 12:26 PM

Well, I am a neoconservative; and I have never been a Democrat.

Nonetheless, I thank you for using the correct term--"neoconservatives"--since so many others use the pejorative term, "neocons"; which brings to mind convicts, or con men...