PDA

View Full Version : Does our response to pompous know it alls fuel our herd mentality?

donttread
05-29-2016, 12:58 PM
We've all been there in a discussion with a self proclaimed expert in a given area and you happen to disagree with them and lay out your argument logically. But after a post or two back and forth they play the "condescending pompous ass card".
This is where they cannot compete with you in the meat of the argument so they instead they start layin it on about all the stuff they know and if you disagree you must be an idiot. But they don't present any more concrete arguments.

We've all been there but the curious thing is why does such an obvious low brow tactic work on so many? It's as though some people will believe you more the more condescending you get. It certainly fits with human herd mentality, mob rule and other aspects left over from our chimp troop days.
But why does it work? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that true experts can discuss their area of expertise at various levels and should be able to discuss it with anyone. Otherwise your not really an expert , your just someone who swallowed books full of other people words , ideas and versions of history.
Thoughts?

OGIS
05-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Excellent topic, which might even help improve this site. Got you a rep and a thanks.

We've all been there in a discussion with a self proclaimed expert in a given area and you happen to disagree with them and lay out your argument logically. But after a post or two back and forth they play the "condescending pompous ass card".

I can think of two already, right on this site. Three, if you include me. I don't mean to be, but my wife says I sometimes come across as condescending in conversations. And I think I've been called on it here once or twice. Let me know, 'kay?

This is where they cannot compete with you in the meat of the argument so they instead they start layin it on about all the stuff they know and if you disagree you must be an idiot. But they don't present any more concrete arguments.

Nailed it.

We've all been there but the curious thing is why does such an obvious low brow tactic work on so many? It's as though some people will believe you more the more condescending you get. It certainly fits with human herd mentality, mob rule and other aspects left over from our chimp troop days.

I actually don't think it works much, at least on the internet. In real life (or on TV), condescension and pretentiousness are strengthened or given power by subtle body language cues. That's what makes it work. Though generally less effective than personal presence, (snail mail) letters can often be given power by the quality of stationary used, fonts or writing styles, and other physical cues. But these cues (aside from the minor one of fonts) are totally absent in a chat room. The condescending, pretentious jacka55 (CPJ) is just one more anonymous random guy (or occasionally gal) on the Internet.

Online, though, there are other power variables. But they are limited by the very nature of the medium: the fact that the Internet is a big, sloppy, lowest-common-denominator free-for-all where the usual standards of psychological intimidation are ridiculed on a daily basis (see: 4chan for example).

Avatar picture is the big one. But many know (or suspect) that a sure indicator of a CPJ is a "dignified" picture.

In forums like this, impressive reputations and thanks can intimidate... but we all know (thanks, Bob!) that these can be manipulated. The CPJs must spend a lot of time "pushing the limits" on giving each other these tokens.

In places like Discus, the Upvote button and resultant UCR (upvote-to-comment ratio) is abused all the time, with troll groups spending huge amounts of time up-voting each other. But, again, such crud is obvious to more and more people.

So it really doesn't not work here, at least with most people. But the CPJs think it does. Because they are generally too stupid to understand that the bu11sh1t that works so well for them in real life falls down flat on it's face in a chat room or forum. So it's just some background noise to be endured, like woodpeckers, maybe.

But why does it work? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that true experts can discuss their area of expertise at various levels and should be able to discuss it with anyone. Otherwise your not really an expert , your just someone who swallowed books full of other people words , ideas and versions of history.

Again. It doesn't work. The CPJs just think it does.

William
05-29-2016, 08:34 PM
Thanks to both of you - dontread and OGIS - for an interesting topic. I'm specially interested in what you said about avatars. When I was on the other board (which was mainly about car racing computer games,) most kids had avatars with racing cars, or comic book heroes. But I noticed that just about every 'hot chick' avatar had a total dick head attached - the same with military insignia. Whenever I see any reference to US Marines, I'm a bit cautious (not that there's anything wrong with the US Marines, it's just that people who have avatars like that are often wannabes :wink:).

Lol, it was one of those who temp banned me for a week for questioning why he was posting pix of his gun collection. :grin: It wasn't his posting the pix I questioned, but he said no one was allowed to make anti-gun comments (he is a mod). So I challenged that - it wasn't in the rules - but I lost. :embarrassed: So I never went back after the ban finished - and here I am.

And TBH, I think the moderation here is pretty good (I lurked on loads of other boards before joining here,) but I take more notice of how people are in their posts, rather than their reputation.

About the condescension - I'm used to that, so it doesn't bother me much. I find I can usually get around that by sticking to the topic and giving my reasons as best I can. Most people are fine with that, but with those who just want to talk down to me - I don't care. Lol, I don't think I'm that important that everyone has to 'respect' me. :grin:

Refugee
05-30-2016, 03:15 AM
This is one of those, ‘why are people like they are’, topics, isn’t it.

I’d say that there are some, I hate to call the experts, but pretty knowledgeable people on specific topics here. Those that know get respect in due course, as respect isn’t and shouldn’t be something given lightly – it should be something earned. I also don’t think you should be judged on how much you say, as in the ‘all opinions are of equal value’ and if you’re talking crap, it’s not disrespectful for someone to gently remind you of it. It’s a politics forum; those that aren’t politically minded are going to sound odd. Perhaps that’s why threads generally fizzle out with very little debate and/or turn into verbal boxing matches instead?

I don’t look at avatars, but I concentrate on content and usually the first two or three lines (some can’t even manage that), will tell me if they’re worth bothering with :smiley:

Mac-7
05-30-2016, 03:58 AM
Thanks to both of you - dontread and OGIS - for an interesting topic. I'm specially interested in what you said about avatars. When I was on the other board (which was mainly about car racing computer games,) most kids had avatars with racing cars, or comic book heroes. But I noticed that just about every 'hot chick' avatar had a total dick head attached - the same with military insignia. Whenever I see any reference to US Marines, I'm a bit cautious (not that there's anything wrong with the US Marines, it's just that people who have avatars like that are often wannabes :wink:).

Lol, it was one of those who temp banned me for a week for questioning why he was posting pix of his gun collection. :grin: It wasn't his posting the pix I questioned, but he said no one was allowed to make anti-gun comments (he is a mod). So I challenged that - it wasn't in the rules - but I lost. :embarrassed: So I never went back after the ban finished - and here I am.

And TBH, I think the moderation here is pretty good (I lurked on loads of other boards before joining here,) but I take more notice of how people are in their posts, rather than their reputation.

About the condescension - I'm used to that, so it doesn't bother me much. I find I can usually get around that by sticking to the topic and giving my reasons as best I can. Most people are fine with that, but with those who just want to talk down to me - I don't care. Lol, I don't think I'm that important that everyone has to 'respect' me. :grin:

I suppose young William knows a lot of US Marines in Australia.

Otherwise he could not be such an authority on them.

Dont tell etherall I said this or he might have me threadbanned, but I disagree with our esteemed child expert from Down Under.

but only because my experienceo with real Marines is that they are intensely proud of their service and eager to display their colors.

FindersKeepers
05-30-2016, 04:24 AM
Thoughts?

Good topic.

I think it happens for two reasons, with the most frequent being that the person, as you say, simply cannot uphold his end of the discussion so he resorts to touting credentials.

But, it also happens when the poster is dealing with someone whose ideas are so off-the-wall that it no longer merits a conversation. At that point, the poster throws up his hands -- lists his expertise -- and basically bows out after issuing a "screw you."

Where I think you may be a bit wrong, however, is in thinking that just because someone knows a specific topic they can successfully articulate it in writing. That's not always the case. Just because you're an expert in one subject doesn't mean you're an expert in communication.

I just let it go if someone does that to me. There's really nothing else to be done.

Refugee
05-30-2016, 04:32 AM
Good topic.

I think it happens for two reasons, with the most frequent being that the person, as you say, simply cannot uphold his end of the discussion so he resorts to touting credentials.

But, it also happens when the poster is dealing with someone whose ideas are so off-the-wall that it no longer merits a conversation. At that point, the poster throws up his hands -- lists his expertise -- and basically bows out after issuing a "screw you."

Where I think you may be a bit wrong, however, is in thinking that just because someone knows a specific topic they can successfully articulate it in writing. That's not always the case. Just because you're an expert in one subject doesn't mean you're an expert in communication.

I just let it go if someone does that to me. There's really nothing else to be done.

Yes, I’ll generally go along with that. With politics you need to know the basics. You couldn’t discuss trigonometry with someone who’s not very good at math, no matter how hard you try. Unfortunately, many people regard politics as something they themselves think up based on a belief system. Dare I say it, western liberals especially are prone to this in the ‘How to create a utopia’ based on a fantasy of what the world should look like, minus the reality. This is not politics, but when asked to explain, just as in real life disturbances, the response often produces a verbal backlash.

I personally judge people by their responses. If someone can’t explain what they’ve written, or a quote they’ve used to illustrate the point, then it shouldn’t have been posted.

Common
05-30-2016, 04:41 AM
When youre knowledge of anything is based on emotion, what you heard, or some one sided article that demonstrates only one point of view, you cannot discuss it. Your only avenue is to try and ram your opinion down someones throat, by labeling them or calling them names and insults.

There are very few on this forum right or left that will actually converse civilly in disagreement. Many topics are admittedly over my head, I try to avoid anything I havent learned enough about or experienced in my personal life.

Most here believe before they open thier mouth they are right and some really believe if they post an article from a single blog its the word of god.

The best example is the people that were all in and all for men in womens bathrooms just because Obama said it. They gave it no intelligent thought, they gave absolutely no consideration to the other 99.5 %. They gave no consideration to the young girls and women that would be made to be uncomfortable. Or the GREAT risk they put all women under by men entering female bathrooms with nefarious intent because they NOW can unchallenged.

That issue was and is the most baffling to me. Baffling in how anyone could attempt to defend that as necessary and right. Up to this second no one has explained the need that made this instantly necessary or how its not an additional risk to women

Refugee
05-30-2016, 05:19 AM
When youre knowledge of anything is based on emotion, what you heard, or some one sided article that demonstrates only one point of view, you cannot discuss it. Your only avenue is to try and ram your opinion down someones throat, by labeling them or calling them names and insults.

There are very few on this forum right or left that will actually converse civilly in disagreement. Many topics are admittedly over my head, I try to avoid anything I havent learned enough about or experienced in my personal life.

Most here believe before they open thier mouth they are right and some really believe if they post an article from a single blog its the word of god.

The best example is the people that were all in and all for men in womens bathrooms just because Obama said it. They gave it no intelligent thought, they gave absolutely no consideration to the other 99.5 %. They gave no consideration to the young girls and women that would be made to be uncomfortable. Or the GREAT risk they put all women under by men entering female bathrooms with nefarious intent because they NOW can unchallenged.

That issue was and is the most baffling to me. Baffling in how anyone could attempt to defend that as necessary and right. Up to this second no one has explained the need that made this instantly necessary or how its not an additional risk to women

It’s the equality agenda. If all are equal financially (welfare), gender dysphoria (LGBT), racially (colour blind) and education (Common Core), then it makes sense to remove gender differences (unisex rest rooms and gay marriage). In the end all become the ‘Lumpenproletariat’ (the wish of all progressive dictatorships), producing the equality of dumbed down sameness to the lowest common denominator. In this context, there are no women; everyone becomes whatever they choose to be. This is disguised under equality and freedom, but is a subtle way to change society’s norms and values to reflect progressivism, using culture.
But I digress, so back to the thread topic :smiley:

Beevee
05-30-2016, 07:18 AM

Thoughts?

If everyone here could put up logical cohesive arguments, they wouldn't be here, they would be elected political figures.

And look what happens to those!

They get attacked from all sides, especially from members of political forums.

donttread
05-30-2016, 07:32 AM
Excellent topic, which might even help improve this site. Got you a rep and a thanks.

I can think of two already, right on this site. Three, if you include me. I don't mean to be, but my wife says I sometimes come across as condescending in conversations. And I think I've been called on it here once or twice. Let me know, 'kay?

Nailed it.

I actually don't think it works much, at least on the internet. In real life (or on TV), condescension and pretentiousness are strengthened or given power by subtle body language cues. That's what makes it work. Though generally less effective than personal presence, (snail mail) letters can often be given power by the quality of stationary used, fonts or writing styles, and other physical cues. But these cues (aside from the minor one of fonts) are totally absent in a chat room. The condescending, pretentious jacka55 (CPJ) is just one more anonymous random guy (or occasionally gal) on the Internet.

Online, though, there are other power variables. But they are limited by the very nature of the medium: the fact that the Internet is a big, sloppy, lowest-common-denominator free-for-all where the usual standards of psychological intimidation are ridiculed on a daily basis (see: 4chan for example).

Avatar picture is the big one. But many know (or suspect) that a sure indicator of a CPJ is a "dignified" picture.

In forums like this, impressive reputations and thanks can intimidate... but we all know (thanks, Bob!) that these can be manipulated. The CPJs must spend a lot of time "pushing the limits" on giving each other these tokens.

In places like Discus, the Upvote button and resultant UCR (upvote-to-comment ratio) is abused all the time, with troll groups spending huge amounts of time up-voting each other. But, again, such crud is obvious to more and more people.

So it really doesn't not work here, at least with most people. But the CPJs think it does. Because they are generally too stupid to understand that the bu11sh1t that works so well for them in real life falls down flat on it's face in a chat room or forum. So it's just some background noise to be endured, like woodpeckers, maybe.

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. No, I was not at all thinking of you when I wrote this post. I do have to disagree with your observation that the "condescending pompous ass card" or what you call CPJ doesn't work. I think it works on some based upon the number of posters I've see quietly drop out of discussions following some "holier than thou" but meatless responses. Keep an eye out you might see what I mean, or perhaps I am mistaken.
BTW, nice catch on the over dignified avatar. I had never thought about it before but it certainly seems true in many of these cases.

donttread
05-30-2016, 07:44 AM

Great point on the "wannabes" the internet is full of them. Beware of posters who seem to be on here 24/7 because it means they probably don't actually do anything in real life, no matter how many companies they claim to have been "CEO" of.
As for respect , you have earned your respect out here and conducted yourself very well with the condescending assholes or what OIGS calls CPJ's . I've seen you do it, you just keep pressing the facts and clarifying your intent and I agree that is the way to deal with them. I try to do the same but I also throw some sarcasm back in their contradictory faces.Something in this unfair world my age allows me to do more that you could. I think you are taking the exact right tact .

donttread
05-30-2016, 07:48 AM
I suppose young William knows a lot of US Marines in Australia.

Otherwise he could not be such an authority on them.

Dont tell etherall I said this or he might have me threadbanned, but I disagree with our esteemed child expert from Down Under.

but only because my experienceo with real Marines is that they are intensely proud of their service and eager to display their colors.

Actually he pretty much said that he did NOT allow his negative experiences with people claiming to be Marines on line to color his view of Marines. Pretty mature stuff. What more could you ask from him?

donttread
05-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Good topic.

Interesting points, but I respectfully disagree with your assertion that some experts cannot articulate their knowledge in writing. While you may be correct at the level of Thesis Projects. IMO, any real expert in any area should be able to communicate that knowledge to the level of knowledge that any poster posses or does not possess about that topic, without resorting to the ole smug asshole routine. For example I am quite knowledgeable in the fields of addiction and especially tobacco and have credentials in these areas. I can discuss these issues with anyone on this board at their level in that particular area without being a jerk and expect the same in return from others with different areas of expertise. But, I am human and when they get sarcastic and snotty with me during these conversations I sling back, which will do nothing to help me educate that poster or for my willingness to accept education from them on other topics.

donttread
05-30-2016, 08:02 AM
If everyone here could put up logical cohesive arguments, they wouldn't be here, they would be elected political figures.

And look what happens to those!

They get attacked from all sides, especially from members of political forums.

Point taken, but I disagree. One of my theories is that we so loathe politicians as a society ( and not without good reason) that many qualified people don't want anything to do with politics.

Mac-7
05-30-2016, 08:07 AM
Actually he pretty much said that he did NOT allow his negative experiences with people claiming to be Marines on line to color his view of Marines.

You have it backwards.

what young William from Australia implied is that he knows so much about US Marines that he can spot phonies on the Internet.

But I noticed that just about every 'hot chick' avatar had a total dick head attached - the same with military insignia. Whenever I see any reference to US Marines, I'm a bit cautious (not that there's anything wrong with the US Marines, it's just that people who have avatars like that are often wannabes :wink:).

While the 'hot chick" avatar points the boney finger of criticism at Safety at least William does know the person of whome he speaks.

but I dont think that can be applied to US Marines unless young William has met a bunch of them.

donttread
05-30-2016, 08:18 AM
You have it backwards.

what young William from Australia implied is that he knows so much about US Marines that he can spot phonies on the Internet.

While the 'hot chick" avatar points the boney finger of criticism at Safety at least William does know the person of whome he speaks.

but I dont think that can be applied to US Marines unless young William has met a bunch of them.

Apparently we interpret his post differently, which is OK and I'm sticking with my interpretation.

Refugee
05-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Not all want to be politicians; some are content to explain, willing to debate, but look at it all from a distance, glad they got away from it all. Here’s my story.

What the US has and many countries in Europe, is cultural Marxism. It’s more visible in Europe under the European Union, but disguised with equality and social justice, the signs are apparent in the US if you know what to look for. Progressivism, disguised with collectivism and equality, with a smiley face of promises and a belief in progress, despite the reality of increasingly becoming a police State, plus financial and social chaos.

Much of what I write is based on personal knowledge, with a little political science thrown in, but having finished, I then have to go back and put in some quotes, because if it doesn’t say on Google or Wiki, it can’t be relevant, right? Then throw in some images to keep attention spans, sit back and wait for the Dumbo’s to appear. Other times I let myself go, start to write and it turns into a 14,000 word essay.

Cultural Marxism – Social Chaos (https://www.academia.edu/24806338/Cultural_Marxism_-_Social_Chaos)

Some will disagree and still believe Obama is a God:
A tribute to Barack Obama (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/63416-A-Tribute-to-Barack-Obama?p=1564993)

Or Hillary is not a progressive, despite her statement saying she is:
Hillary Clinton will destroy you (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/63123-Hillary-Clinton-will-destroy-you?p=1558258)

Others believe Bernie is just a cuddly socialist who wants to curb the 1%, despite being one himself:
Bernie Sanders – a 60s revolutionary throwback (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/63308-Bernie-Sanders-–-A-60s-revolutionary-throwback)

I post, I explain, I get abuse (from the same predictable crowd), but not much alternative debate from them. What keeps me going is the thanks I get and whether that’s from already known agreement, or I hope having learned something from the deception and confusion going on around them - hopefully the latter. I work in China PRC; I’ve done the tour of the ‘workers paradises’ throughout the East and in the old USSR, so I’m no stranger to the same thing I see happening in the west. You want equality and a utopia? I simply explain what happens when you go down that road, hopefully in an easy to understand way.

It’s not a conspiracy theory, everyone has their own views on this, but the internet is full of European PMs, ex-dissidents and even Pravda is warning you, who’ve also been there and seen it. I’ll put this 30 year old (updated to reflect what is happening today), video up again because it’s so easy to understand. If you do nothing else, watch this 10 minute video and think about what you see and what Bezmenov is telling you from back in the 80s. It’s the best ten minutes you’ll ever spend, because you’ll start to have an inkling of where you’re headed and how it’s being done, which will hopefully save you from believing the fantasy posted by the resident Dumbo’s. The only difference now is that culture is being used in place of armed struggle to achieve this, ghettos replace the Gulags, welfare is the new equality and the SJWs with their political correctness are the new KGB – a coming police State with a smiley face.

If nothing else, I hope it makes you all think. A long post, so I’ll now take a break now and thanks for reading :smiley: Don’t forget to watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iz3VjoHXLA

donttread
05-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Excellent topic, which might even help improve this site. Got you a rep and a thanks

Nailed it.

OGIS, I still think the "CPJ" thing works on this board in that when confronted with meatless, double talking ,smug and condescending post many either drop the discussion or resort to pure anger posting and stop advancing their points altogether. I could be wrong, according to my wife it's a daily event, but if you get a chance to observe check it out.

donttread
05-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Thanks to all who responded , some great food for thought. Not to mention a very enjoyable civil discourse.

OGIS
05-30-2016, 09:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iz3VjoHXLA

I am always a bit leery of YT videos that have comments disabled.

One question regarding your obsession with Obama's end game: what are you going to say/do when Obama packs his bags and exits the White House (with or without the silverware) come January 2017?

Or will he...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw

Tahuyaman
05-30-2016, 11:38 AM
I find only one member here to consistently be a "pompous ass".

OGIS
05-30-2016, 11:58 AM

Yip! Yip! Yip! Ankle biter.

AZ Jim
05-30-2016, 12:07 PM
Well, I embrace our differences and our methods of expressing ourselves. It would be terrible to be all cookie cutter diplomats.

MisterVeritis
05-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Yip! Yip! Yip! Ankle biter.

I laughed.

OGIS
05-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Well, I embrace our differences and our methods of expressing ourselves. It would be terrible to be all cookie cutter diplomats.

See? This is what I mean about this forum being a goldmine of writing ideas.

Imagine an entire civilization where everyone, from ditch diggers and janitors to industrialists and presidents, were cookie cutter diplomats.

Or basically: smoothly polite extortionists, congenital liars, and con-artists.

Everyone has a Diplomat hat.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats

Maybe it's a genetic behavioral trait. Maybe it is second nature due to being basic to their genetic survival (for example, like our incest taboo) for some bizarre reason. But everyone is like that.

What would daily life be like?

How would stuff get done?

How would one of these guys react to a stereotypical human?

Tahuyaman
05-30-2016, 01:33 PM

Well, one popous ass and several garden variety nit-wits.

maineman
05-30-2016, 03:47 PM

Me too! I wonder if they're the same guy?

:rofl:

MisterVeritis
05-30-2016, 03:54 PM

Mirror, anyone?

AZ Jim
05-30-2016, 03:58 PM
This board is typical of the type where you have to be tough to survive. If you have thin skin, complexes, or are sensitive to what you are being called or compared to you are in for a rough ride. Me? I am old but tough. I come from tough stock, was born in tough town, I lived on a tough street, the further down that street you lived the tougher you were and I lived in the last house.

AZ Jim
05-30-2016, 03:59 PM
Mirror, anyone?It's broken, it's the one you were using to put on your clown nose.

MisterVeritis
05-30-2016, 04:00 PM
This board is typical of the type where you have to be tough to survive. If you have thin skin, complexes, or are sensitive to what you are being called or compared to you are in for a rough ride. Me? I am old but tough. I come from tough stock, was born in tough town, I lived on a tough street, the further down that street you lived the tougher you were and I lived in the last house.
Yeah. Me too. Plus I walked uphill three miles in the blinding snow to the one-roomed little red schoolhouse. Interestingly it was also uphill to return home.

AZ Jim
05-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Yeah. Me too. Plus I walked uphill three miles in the blinding snow to the one-roomed little red schoolhouse. Interestingly it was also uphill to return home.Dad told me that story in 1938 or 9.

MisterVeritis
05-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Dad told me that story in 1938 or 9.
Right. Little did you know it would remain relevant.

Tahuyaman
05-30-2016, 04:21 PM

Possibly, but only if you are capable of some honest soul searching.

Refugee
05-30-2016, 05:48 PM
I am always a bit leery of YT videos that have comments disabled.

One question regarding your obsession with Obama's end game: what are you going to say/do when Obama packs his bags and exits the White House (with or without the silverware) come January 2017?

Or will he...?

YT videos are usually disabled when they make an important statement and don’t want the often childish and stupid comments that follow. I don’t have an obsession with ‘Obama’s end game’, that’s part of the video title; it’s the content that is of specific interest. We live in crucial times, the UK EU referendum next month and the US election later this year will, in my opinion, decide which way the west moves forward in the next few decades. The danger of the UK joining in EU liberal fascism and the resulting mess when that collapses and the very real possibility of the US turning towards progressivism under Clinton.

The UK population are very much aware of what liberal fascism is and the danger is that of vote rigging. The US danger is that an uncomprehending majority vote for a socialist utopia and that’s what I warn against.
I also write other stuff, British history (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/63619-British-history-in-a-hotel), White slavery (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/63675-White-slavery), Tourism (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/63444-Life-in-the-slow-lane) ... but not too many, as what follows is the usual suspects turning up, sticking their tongues out; the trolls and one liners who never seem to write anything of interest themselves? Isn’t that why the tPF tag was introduced, to keep the worst of the crazies at bay? Might all this be what ‘donttread’ was referring to in his op? :smiley: I suppose I could do the one liners myself, but if that’s all I had to say it would be pointless continuing.

How I write is how I speak, as it’s what I do for a living, and I’ve often had understandable criticism for that. I hope it doesn’t sound too ‘pompous’ though, but over a lifetime of experiences and the knowledge we gain, we build up a worldview. Many in the US, lacking experience of the outside world, get their world view from a 24/7 onslaught diet of mass media propaganda. This shows in many posts and reflects in the behaviour we now see in the antics of the SJWs. Having being in and currently located on the end of the fantasies, I simply write about the outcomes of where that belief in utopias leads to and the consequences. My experiences and advice are take them or leave them, it’s as simple as that. When I sense they’re not wanted anymore I leave and concentrate on work and other projects :smiley:

Tahuyaman
05-30-2016, 05:56 PM
It's broken, it's the one you were using to put on your clown nose.

That was..... Well...... not good.

Dr. Who
05-30-2016, 06:25 PM
You have it backwards.

When discussing the forums that young people patronize, you may not be an expert. The sites referenced were generally gaming/racing car forums. Is it not possible that teens and young 20 somethings choose avatars that represent who they want to be, rather than who they are? They may also choose superheroes as avatars. Older people tend to choose avatars based on their politics, irony, humor or neutrality.

maineman
05-30-2016, 06:31 PM
Right. Little did you know it would remain relevant.

it's still the bee's knees!

23-skiddoo!!!

William
05-31-2016, 03:19 AM
When discussing the forums that young people patronize, you may not be an expert. The sites referenced were generally gaming/racing car forums. Is it not possible that teens and young 20 somethings choose avatars that represent who they want to be, rather than who they are? They may also choose superheroes as avatars. Older people tend to choose avatars based on their politics, irony, humor or neutrality.

Thanks Dr Who! You are right - I wasn't talking about anybody here when I said 'wannabes' - I was talking about a number of people at the games forum I left. Specially the one who gave me a temp ban. He had this big United States Marine Corps badge as his avatar, and talked tough, but a couple of older people there told him he knew nothing about the Marines. I think he was old enough, but I don't think he was a serving marine. Neway, I'm glad to be out of there - people here are much more sensible.

I think funny avatars are the best, cos people can see that you don't take yourself too seriously - that's why I chose the pussycat acting like a judge. :grin:

donttread
06-01-2016, 06:41 AM

Yes , many times it isn't that skin is not the right color but rather that it is simply not thick enough

maineman
06-01-2016, 11:20 AM

Isn't that funny. And here I was thinking the very same thing about you!

OGIS
06-01-2016, 11:22 AM
YT videos are usually disabled when they make an important statement and don’t want the often childish and stupid comments that follow. I don’t have an obsession with ‘Obama’s end game’, that’s part of the video title; it’s the content that is of specific interest. We live in crucial times, the UK EU referendum next month and the US election later this year will, in my opinion, decide which way the west moves forward in the next few decades. The danger of the UK joining in EU liberal fascism and the resulting mess when that collapses and the very real possibility of the US turning towards progressivism under Clinton.

The UK population are very much aware of what liberal fascism is and the danger is that of vote rigging. The US danger is that an uncomprehending majority vote for a socialist utopia and that’s what I warn against.
I also write other stuff, British history (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/63619-British-history-in-a-hotel), White slavery (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/63675-White-slavery), Tourism (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/63444-Life-in-the-slow-lane) ... but not too many, as what follows is the usual suspects turning up, sticking their tongues out; the trolls and one liners who never seem to write anything of interest themselves? Isn’t that why the tPF tag was introduced, to keep the worst of the crazies at bay? Might all this be what ‘donttread’ was referring to in his op? :smiley: I suppose I could do the one liners myself, but if that’s all I had to say it would be pointless continuing.

How I write is how I speak, as it’s what I do for a living, and I’ve often had understandable criticism for that. I hope it doesn’t sound too ‘pompous’ though, but over a lifetime of experiences and the knowledge we gain, we build up a worldview. Many in the US, lacking experience of the outside world, get their world view from a 24/7 onslaught diet of mass media propaganda. This shows in many posts and reflects in the behaviour we now see in the antics of the SJWs. Having being in and currently located on the end of the fantasies, I simply write about the outcomes of where that belief in utopias leads to and the consequences. My experiences and advice are take them or leave them, it’s as simple as that. When I sense they’re not wanted anymore I leave and concentrate on work and other projects :smiley:

I actually agree with the basic premise of the video: that the KGB worked for decades to mess with the social order of the United States. I can even tell you where the whole thing started: Lenin's response to American and British support (support which included American and British combat troops ON RUSSIAN SOIL) of the Whites during the Russian Civil War. It was the only form of retaliation possible to the Soviet leadership. That the tactics of this retaliation tied in with (and was justified by) the old Comintern "proletarian justice" ideology, strategy, and tactics was simply icing in the cake.

What I disagree with is the idea that this program was implacably successful and that we are doomed to a Communist takeover "any day now." The KGB was (and is, under whatever initials they now operate) a creaky bureaucratic monolith. During the Cold War they spent significant amounts of time, money and energy spying on, and undermining the efforts of, their counterparts in the GRU. Their entire forming, vetting, hiring, training, and promotion process (the ideal spy was groomed for the job starting in grade school) had the unintended consequence of producing legions of incompetent bureaucratic backbiters, venal ladder-climbers, and ideologically straight-jacketed Tools. These last were the most dangerous, and were the ones who could actually do harmful things with the program, but they were constantly being screwed with by the first two types.

Truth Detector
06-01-2016, 11:29 AM
I always find it ironic when pompous know-it-alls on the left rant and whine about pompous know-it-alls.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2016, 07:20 PM

Right, only I stated it first.

OGIS
06-01-2016, 10:35 PM

Right, only I stated it first.

You two really need to get a private sandbox. And Tahuaboy? Last time I heard "I said it first!" was in 3rd grade.

Seriously?

Tahuyaman
06-01-2016, 10:47 PM
You two really need to get a private sandbox. And Tahuaboy? Last time I heard "I said it first!" was in 3rd grade.

Seriously?

Shut up.....

OGIS
06-01-2016, 11:32 PM
Shut up.....

Heard that too.

"SHUT UP YOU DOODIE!"

Grow the fuck up.