PDA

View Full Version : tPF Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos: We Should Settle Mars 'Because It's Cool'

OGIS
06-01-2016, 11:52 AM
If the below is just not self-serving BFM, then what Bezos is doing is fantastically far-sighted and altruistic.

There are much worse things he could be spending his fortune on.

For decades, the space industry has lacked the “dynamism” found in the software industry, he said. The busiest period of space launches in history happened in the 1970s. What’s happened since? Stasis, Bezos said.

Amazon’s namesake retail business took off because all of the “heavy lifting” that allowed it to exist—cashless payment systems, home delivery networks, computers and telecommunications equipment in homes—had already been created for other reasons. No startup company would have the enormous sums of capital to create all that infrastructure. That’s what he’s trying to provide for the renewed private space industry, he said.

“When it comes to space, I see it as my job to build infrastructure the hard way. I’m using my resources to put in that infrastructure so that the next generation of people can have a dynamic, entrepreneurial solar system as interesting as we see on the Internet today. I want thousands of entrepreneurs to do amazing things in space. To do that we have to dramatically lower the cost of entering space.”

Or, put another way: “I don’t want Plan B to be Earth. I want Plan B to make sure that Plan A works. And let me assure you, this is the best planet. And we will protect it. The way we will protect it is by going out into space.”

http://fortune.com/2016/06/01/amazon-ceo-jeff-bezos-mars/

Cigar
06-01-2016, 11:53 AM
No Women, No Cigar :grin:

exotix
06-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Manned mission to Mars ?

Have discovered how astronauts can survive the suns' radiation upon exiting Earths' magnetic field ?

The Sage of Main Street
06-01-2016, 12:50 PM
If the below is just not self-serving BFM, then what Bezos is doing is fantastically far-sighted and altruistic.

There are much worse things he could be spending his fortune on. Wandering off into the twinkling void is a childish, useless, and escapist Trekkie circus. Every dime spent on this silliness is lost from the practical development of Earth's resources. We've barely scratched the surface here; in contrast, that's why the myths backing NA$A waste are either that we are running out of resources or that the resources we have developed are destroying the planet.

OGIS
06-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Wandering off into the twinkling void is a childish, useless, and escapist Trekkie circus. Every dime spent on this silliness is lost from the practical development of Earth's resources. We've barely scratched the surface here; in contrast, that's why the myths backing NA$A waste are either that we are running out of resources or that the resources we have developed are destroying the planet.

With that attitude you will stay poor when fortunes are being made in space. It's Bezo's own money; what do you care what he spends it on?

OGIS
06-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Manned mission to Mars ?

Have discovered how astronauts can survive the suns' radiation upon exiting Earths' magnetic field ?

I don't know. What does Google say?

exotix
06-01-2016, 03:24 PM
I don't know. What does Google say?How Does the Earth's Magnetic Field Protect Us From Space Radiation?

http://www.windows2universe.org/glossary/plasmaspheric_gain.html

http://www.space.dtu.dk/english/Research/Universe_and_Solar_System/magnetic_field

Unlike the Earth, Mars has no inner dynamo to create a major global magnetic field.

This, however, does not mean that Mars does not have a magnetosphere; simply that it is less extensive than that of the Earth.

The magnetosphere of Mars is far simpler and less extensive than that of the Earth.

http://www.space.dtu.dk/english/Research/Universe_and_Solar_System/~/media/6FF3DF84A22545E28858006FE2F6CA75.ashx

OGIS
06-01-2016, 03:34 PM
How Does the Earth's Magnetic Field Protect Us From Space Radiation?

http://www.windows2universe.org/glossary/plasmaspheric_gain.html

http://www.space.dtu.dk/english/Research/Universe_and_Solar_System/magnetic_field

Unlike the Earth, Mars has no inner dynamo to create a major global magnetic field.

This, however, does not mean that Mars does not have a magnetosphere; simply that it is less extensive than that of the Earth.

The magnetosphere of Mars is far simpler and less extensive than that of the Earth.

http://www.space.dtu.dk/english/Research/Universe_and_Solar_System/~/media/6FF3DF84A22545E28858006FE2F6CA75.ashx

I think getting there and back will involve something like Faraday Cages with special hidey-holes (surrounded by the water tanks, maybe?) to hide in during solar storms.

ON Mars, I have no idea.

Peter1469
06-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Space exploration will pay for itself over time and make some people more wealth that could be dreamed of today.

Luddites won't matter. They will sulk, but they can't stop the future.

exotix
06-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Space exploration will pay for itself over time and make some people more wealth that could be dreamed of today.

Luddites won't matter. They will sulk, but they can't stop the future.What are we exploring in space for again ?

Lemme guess ... Martians ... who are certainly exploring space themselves ... to find out if life exists somewhere else ... LOL

Common Sense
06-01-2016, 05:12 PM
With that attitude you will stay poor when fortunes are being made in space. It's Bezo's own money; what do you care what he spends it on?

With his attitude most of the discoveries on earth wouldn't have been made.

Common Sense
06-01-2016, 05:13 PM
What are we exploring in space for again ?

Lemme guess ... Martians ... who are certainly exploring space themselves ... to find out if life exists somewhere else ... LOL

Minerals.

exotix
06-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Minerals.Which is why the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan and why we won't exit and waiting for Global Warming to melt the Arctic to expose those minerals and wage war over it ... yes the reality of space exploration.

Common Sense
06-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Which is why the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan and why we won't exit and waiting for Global Warming to melt the Arctic to expose those minerals and wage war over it ... yes the reality of space exploration.

Yeah, space...just like Afghanistan.

Peter1469
06-01-2016, 05:32 PM

Wrong.

Try again. Have fun with it exo.

exotix
06-01-2016, 05:41 PM
Wrong.

Try again. Have fun with it exo.I hear space exploration is a *romantic and exciting* future ... especially for the private sector ... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2wkBucLej8

OGIS
06-01-2016, 05:55 PM

Same reason my great grandfather many times removed headed out of Africa, to see what was there. It's a hominid thing.

Also, it gets all our eggs out of one basket (which one day is gonna be stepped on by another asteroid, or possibly Yellowstone or another super-caldera blowing its stack).

Fun fact: There's a volcano on an island off the coast of Africa. The island has a ginormous ledge of rock that - given enough shaking - will slide into the Atlantic. The resulting tsunami would take out the most of the east coast.

Scientists Warn Of Massive
Tidal Wave From
Canary Island Volcano
By Steve Connor Science Editor The Independent - London 8-29-1

A wave higher than Nelson's Column and travelling faster than a jet aircraft will devastate the eastern seaboard of America and inundate much of southern Britain, say scientists who have analysed the effects of a future volcanic eruption in the Canary Islands.

A massive slab of rock twice the volume of the Isle of Man would break away from the island of La Palma and smash into the Atlantic Ocean to cause a tsunami - a monster wave - bigger than any recorded, the scientists warned yesterday.

Most of the wave's energy, equivalent to the combined output of America's power stations for six months, would travel westwards to the American coast but enough would be flicked north towards the English Channel to cause catastrophic coastal damage.

A computer model has been designed to show the way the tsunami will build after the volcano, called Cumbre Vieja, erupts on La Palma, at the western end of the Spanish island chain. It describes the almost unimaginable scale of an event that the scientists say could happen at any time within the foreseeable future.

"We're looking at an event that could be decades or a century away - but there will be a degree of warning beforehand," said Simon Day, of the Benfield Greg Hazard Reseach Centre at Univeristy College London.

Most of the rocky western flank of Cumbre Vieja is unstable enough to be dislodged in the next big eruption of the volcano, which is active enough to explode at least once or twice a century. Its last big event was in 1949.

Such a landslide from a future eruption could travel up to 60 kilometres (37 miles) from La Palma's coast, causing the formation and then collapse of a dome of water 900 metres (3,000ft) high and tens of kilometres wide. The bow of this collapsing dome of water would become a giant wave, but also, as the landslide continued to move underwater, a series of crests and troughs would soon generate the "wave train" of the tsunami.

With the leading wave in front and crests pushing it on behind, it would sustain the power for the nine-hour journey to the American east coast.

Tsunami means harbour wave in Japanese and, though the occurrence has nothing to do with the tides, it is often called a tidal wave in English. Throughout history they have caused widespread devastation, with Britain last being affected by one in 1755 when an earthquake in Lisbon caused an unusually large wave to hit southern ports.

The computer model, compiled in collaboration with Steven Ward of the University of California, Santa Cruz, predicts that the tsunami will have a height of 100 metres (330ft) from crest to trough when it crashes into the shores of nearby north-west Africa. By the time it reached its final destination, the east coast of Florida and the Caribbean islands, the tsunami would still be up to 50 metres high.

http://rense.com/general13/tidal.htm

Peter1469
06-01-2016, 06:38 PM
I hear space exploration is a *romantic and exciting* future ... especially for the private sector ... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2wkBucLej8

Good job Exo!

Try again.

Some more!

exotix
06-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Good job Exo!

Try again.

Some more!LOL

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_832,w_1529/t_mp_quality/ay0aulcxowvmnjg03jpd/5-things-the-new-star-trek-tv-series-must-include-that-the-new-films-forgot-new-star-t-727324.jpg

Cletus
06-01-2016, 08:55 PM
Manned mission to Mars ?

Did you really ask that?

exotix
06-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Did you really ask that?I did ... a manned mission to mars is a phantasmal ... a figment of fantasy since Orsen Welles ... and merely a fraud perpetuated by astronaut Buzz Aldrin to keep NASA funded ... with the most recent scientific breakthroughs ... Orion (only 79 cu.ft. of living space which would result in muscular atrophy) and Deep Space Habitat basically a theoretical concept bereft of any realistic concepts for success ...

The Sage of Main Street
06-02-2016, 09:26 AM
It's Bezo's own money; what do you care what he spends it on? He sets a bad example and wants others to imitate it, especially the government. You're trying to equate him with people who admit they're spending it on self-indulgence and aren't claiming they are doing anything but that. He might as well be collecting trophy wives.

OGIS
06-02-2016, 10:06 AM
He sets a bad example and wants others to imitate it, especially the government. You're trying to equate him with people who admit they're spending it on self-indulgence and aren't claiming they are doing anything but that. He might as well be collecting trophy wives.

Again, this is your business because....?

So let me get this straight: YOU are more qualified to decide where Bezos spends his dough than him?

Because reasons?