PDA

View Full Version : New York probing Trump's closing of Trump Tower atrium for campaign events

Cigar
06-02-2016, 08:01 AM
New York City is investigating Donald Trump's practice of closing down the public atrium in Trump Tower for presidential campaign events that are off limits to the public.

In order to add more floors than zoning rules would otherwise allow, Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, agreed to create a two-story public atrium on the ground and lower floors of the building, which opened in 1983 on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue.

But security staff wearing Trump badges spent several hours shooing away a growing crowd of New Yorkers and tourists from the doors on Tuesday morning after Trump decided to hold a news conference in the atrium to discuss his fundraising for veterans groups.

"Department of Building inspectors will be investigating the allegations that the (public atrium) was closed contrary to the building owner's agreement with the city," Joe Soldevere, a department spokesman, told Reuters on Tuesday.

There are scores of "privately owned public spaces," or POPS, throughout New York City, intended as a trade-off between developers who want to build taller and preserving space for the public in the city's densest neighborhoods.

____

In the case of Trump Tower, the 6,000-square-foot public atrium, which is lined with pink marble, must be open to the public between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. every day, a fact advertised in large gold letters over the building's Fifth Avenue entrance.

As with other such spaces, it can be closed up to four times a year for a private event after permission from city officials.

Trump has held several events in the public areas of Trump Tower since launching his campaign in the atrium there last June.

Officials at the Department of City Planning, which grants permission to close a POPS for an event, and the Department of Buildings, which investigates violations, said they had no record of Trump ever seeking or being granted permission to shut out the public for a campaign event.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-tower-idUSKCN0YM2O6

http://assets.amuniversal.com/83f1b5800aba013463ba005056a9545d.gif

zelmo1234
06-02-2016, 08:09 AM
I am guessing that it is closed at Night too?

And I am guessing that it is private property, not City Property.

This will be one of the things that backfire on the Democrats. I am beginning to think that Trump is right and NY may be in play.

If the left keeps pulling petty crap like this, then like everything else they have tried, it will likely backfire

PolWatch
06-02-2016, 08:12 AM
No one would object to Clinton ignoring an agreement with a city to violate zoning laws? Of course no one would say a word.

Cigar
06-02-2016, 08:15 AM
I am guessing that it is closed at Night too?

And I am guessing that it is private property, not City Property.

This will be one of the things that backfire on the Democrats. I am beginning to think that Trump is right and NY may be in play.

If the left keeps pulling petty crap like this, then like everything else they have tried, it will likely backfire

I'm Guessing you don't have access to The Public Property Contracts and Records, but I'm guessing Reuters does. :grin:

Reading is Fundamental

The 6,000-square-foot public atrium, which is lined with pink marble, must be open to the public between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. every day, a fact advertised in large gold letters over the building's Fifth Avenue entrance.

As with other such spaces, it can be closed up to four times a year for a private event after permission from city officials.

Trump has held several events in the public areas of Trump Tower since launching his campaign in the atrium there last June.

Officials at the Department of City Planning, which grants permission to close a POPS for an event, and the Department of Buildings, which investigates violations, said they had no record of Trump ever seeking or being granted permission to shut out the public for a campaign event.

Try Again ... :laugh:

zelmo1234
06-02-2016, 08:19 AM
So he is going to get fined for not getting a permit for his own building.

I think that the public will like the idea of an all powerful government telling citizens what they can do with their own property? Don't you?

Common
06-02-2016, 08:24 AM
oh how terrible this proves hillary is an honest candidate

Common Sense
06-02-2016, 08:25 AM

I think that the public will like the idea of an all powerful government telling citizens what they can do with their own property? Don't you?

So you think a legal agreement he made isn't something that is binding? He wasn't forced to make the agreement.

PolWatch
06-02-2016, 08:26 AM

not really....but it does illustrate that Trump will violate a legal agreement for his own convenience. Make of that what you will.

Common
06-02-2016, 08:27 AM

zelmo, its the democrat party behind Di Blasio thats trying to diminsh him. New York City will investigate a toilet seat if it has some political implications. This is the same city that allows section8 landlords get away with murder with no investigations. Only after years of abuse and when theyve made a fortune then they smack them with small fines which they ignore. Whats more important ?

Di Blasio is under New York State and federal investigation, even State Democrat leaders cant stand him

zelmo1234
06-02-2016, 08:28 AM
So you think a legal agreement he made isn't something that is binding? He wasn't forced to make the agreement.

Actually, he was likely forced to make the agreement.

So you think that closing off the atrium of your own building makes him a criminal? What do you think we should seek? Death Penalty.

Meanwhile back in DC. Hillary Clinton staffers are refusing to answer the questions of the FBI into the possibility that Hillary played fast and loose with top secret classified information. And not a word form the left

I will worry about law and order, when the Democrats start doing the same.

zelmo1234
06-02-2016, 08:30 AM
zelmo, its the democrat party behind Di Blasio thats trying to diminsh him. New York City will investigate a toilet seat if it has some political implications. This is the same city that allows section8 landlords get away with murder with no investigations. Only after years of abuse and when theyve made a fortune then they smack them with small fines which they ignore. Whats more important ?

Di Blasio is under New York State and federal investigation, even State Democrat leaders cant stand him

I know that? If Hillary did the same thing they would be praising her for a glorious event.

What I would do if I was Trump is find out all of the people that rent from me that are registered Democrats and raise their rent.

Cigar
06-02-2016, 08:32 AM

It's sure didn't take long for them to get their Official Donald Trump Kneepads :laugh:

AZ Jim
06-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Actually, he was likely forced to make the agreement.

So you think that closing off the atrium of your own building makes him a criminal? What do you think we should seek? Death Penalty.

Meanwhile back in DC. Hillary Clinton staffers are refusing to answer the questions of the FBI into the possibility that Hillary played fast and loose with top secret classified information. And not a word form the left

I will worry about law and order, when the Democrats start doing the same.There you have it folks! This is one of the idiots who would rationalize trump shooting a old lady on broadway as a humane thing!

AZ Jim
06-02-2016, 10:05 AM

Do you understand English? READ before opening your mouth and you may look less stupid!

birddog
06-02-2016, 10:13 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

MisterVeritis
06-02-2016, 10:16 AM
There are scores of "privately owned public spaces," or POPS, throughout New York City, intended as a trade-off between developers who want to build taller and preserving space for the public in the city's densest neighborhoods.

Privately owned public spaces. Doesn't that smack of government corruption? The government of the city of New York appears to be a racketeer influenced corrupt organization. It is time for a federal investigation and some serious criminal charges.

AZ Jim
06-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Privately owned public spaces. Doesn't that smack of government corruption? The government of the city of New York appears to be a racketeer influenced corrupt organization. It is time for a federal investigation and some serious criminal charges.Their ranks are shrinking but here's another of them, please don't point and laugh.