PDA

View Full Version : X Men Ad: Casual Violence Against Women......

MMC
06-04-2016, 06:39 AM
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/TjaSW7o__4YoeP955zOqUA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NzY4O2g9NDMzO2lsPX BsYW5l/http://66.media.tumblr.com/1dd5a7b5b19866dcb4eb1ef68f851e6b/tumblr_inline_o87e2s36Kx1td0hds_1280.jpg

Rose McGowan and others object to this L.A. billboard’s “casual violence against women” as a marketing image.....

As 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse stormed theaters over the long weekend, critics took aim at billboards featuring Oscar Isaac’s Apocalypse choking Jennifer Lawrence’s Mystique.

Among them was Rose McGowan, who elaborated on a May 25 Facebook post to THR: “There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film. There is no context in the ad, just a woman getting strangled. The fact that no one flagged this is offensive and frankly, stupid. The geniuses behind this, and I use that term lightly, need to to take a long hard look at the mirror and see how they are contributing to society. Imagine if it were a black man being strangled by a white man, or a gay male being strangled by a hetero? The outcry would be enormous. So let’s right this wrong. 20th Century Fox, since you can’t manage to put any women directors on your slate for the next two years, how about you at least replace your ad?”

She continued: “I’ll close with a text my friend sent, a conversation with his daughter. It follows: ‘My daughter and I were just having a deep discussion on the brutality of that hideous X-Men poster yesterday. Her words: ‘Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?’ This from a 9-year-old. If she can see it, why can’t Fox?”

In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Fox apologized for the billboard: “In our enthusiasm to show the villainy of the character Apocalypse we didn’t immediately recognize the upsetting connotation of this image in print form. Once we realized how insensitive it was, we quickly took steps to remove those materials. We apologize for our actions and would never condone violence against women.”

The image has met with criticism on the East Coast as well. New York blogger EV Grieve posted a photo (http://evgrieve.com/2016/05/if-you-dont-like-movie-posters-of-en.html) of the poster above a subway station in the city at First Avenue and 14th Street that had been covered with eight pieces of paper that connected to say, “This violence in my kid’s face is not okay.”.....snip~

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/rose-mcgowan-calls-out-x-men-billboard-that-162518329.html

What say ye?

PolWatch
06-04-2016, 07:09 AM
"Do as I say, not as a I do"

Have you ever heard that phrase when talking about raising children? I have heard it often, usually as a joke because most people realize that children imitate what they see much more than listen to something different. Look up the stats about violence committed by people raised in violent homes. Abused children become child abusers. This billboard is designed to advertise a franchise that appeals to young people. They may think everyone knows who the bad guy is but exposure to casual violence like this makes it casual to the young & impressionable. We need to be aware of the messages we send to our children

Safety
06-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Wait, wasn't Mystique's gender fluid? Couldn't she be whomever she wanted to be at anytime? Maybe he started strangling some dude and she transformed to cause an outrage....I'll just leave that little nugget of metaphysical relevance right there...

MMC
06-04-2016, 07:37 AM
Wait, wasn't Mystique's gender fluid? Couldn't she be whomever she wanted to be at anytime? Maybe he started strangling some dude and she transformed to cause an outrage....I'll just leave that little nugget of metaphysical relevance right there...

I wonder if Rose and her Hollywood libs knew that the creator of Apocalypse.....was a woman.

And yes, she could be male or female. Or both if she wanted.

Also, Apocalypse could be a man or a woman. He can change form too.

Common
06-04-2016, 07:59 AM
"Do as I say, not as a I do"

Have you ever heard that phrase when talking about raising children? I have heard it often, usually as a joke because most people realize that children imitate what they see much more than listen to something different. Look up the stats about violence committed by people raised in violent homes. Abused children become child abusers. This billboard is designed to advertise a franchise that appeals to young people. They may think everyone knows who the bad guy is but exposure to casual violence like this makes it casual to the young & impressionable. We need to be aware of the messages we send to our children

Theres far more things to worry about than this

PolWatch
06-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Theres far more things to worry about than this

IMO that attitude is what has contributed to the current level of violence in young people today. They have seen and some have experienced so much violence, they think its normal.

Common
06-04-2016, 08:17 AM
IMO that attitude is what has contributed to the current level of violence in young people today. They have seen and some have experienced so much violence, they think its normal.

I disagree people are worried about a billboard depicting a Fantasy movie and complaining about the male apparently grabbing the female.

Yet the same people didnt blink an eye when obama signed an executive order to allow men in ladies rooms. Which opened the door for every sexual deviant freak to have access to any bathroom in america.

Are you kidding me ?? the left needs to get its priorities straight and they need to find minds of their own and not follow the party down the tube.

PolWatch
06-04-2016, 08:26 AM
Unisex bathrooms have been around for decades with little outrage. This is now being used as another political non-issue. See how effective they are?

Common
06-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Unisex bathrooms have been around for decades with little outrage. This is now being used as another political non-issue. See how effective they are?

Nice try pol lady but that was a non answer. What they can get away with in sweden we CANNOT here. The USA is here not there or anywhere else.

No one can convince me that billboard is worse than allowing pedophilles and sexual predators access to womens bathrooms.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2016, 08:49 AM

Most existing unisex bathrooms are single use and lock.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Now wait, about the ad.

Aren't women in these movies portrayed as warriors? Wouldn't it make sense that they're going to receive some violence in return in retaliation to their serving up some violence?

Is this much to do about nothing?

Loaded question.

Standing Wolf
06-04-2016, 08:59 AM
The grabber in that ad photo, the one being violent toward a woman, is the bad guy.

Nevertheless, yeah - looking at the picture again, I can see how it might be considered objectionable. Probably a good decision to pull it.

C'mon, people...does the bathroom thing have to infect every topic on the gd board? Really?

Captain Obvious
06-04-2016, 09:03 AM
The grabber in that ad photo, the one being violent toward a woman, is the bad guy.

Nevertheless, yeah - looking at the picture again, I can see how it might be considered objectionable. Probably a good decision to pull it.

C'mon, people...does the bathroom thing have to infect every topic on the gd board? Really?

Wait till the thread devolves into a Trump basher.

What does the guy being the bad guy have to do with it?

These movies (and I'll admit I don't watch them) are basically people beating the shit out of other people and if women are part of that mix, they're going to get some shit beat out of them.

The premise is silly but I get your point to the extent that people who don't watch these movies might look at an ad like that with reserve.

Me, no fucks to give on my part. I wouldn't even have noticed that ad.

Standing Wolf
06-04-2016, 09:22 AM
What does the guy being the bad guy have to do with it?

Well, I mean, in context, violence against women makes a point - it's what bad guys and a******s do. I recall seeing an old military recruiting poster that showed a Nazi or some other bad guy threatening a woman; it obviously wasn't advocating that kind of behavior, or promoting it or saying that it's cool.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Well, I mean, in context, violence against women makes a point - it's what bad guys and a******s do. I recall seeing an old military recruiting poster that showed a Nazi or some other bad guy threatening a woman; it obviously wasn't advocating that kind of behavior, or promoting it or saying that it's cool.

You're over-thinking this.

Cletus
06-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Some people just feel a need to get their panties in a wad over nothing.

I also have to call bullshit on that alleged text message. 9 year old girls don't go around saying "Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?"

Get a life, People.

Green Arrow
06-04-2016, 09:52 AM
The context is Apocalypse is the film's villain and Mystique is one of the heroes.

It's not casual violence against women :rollseyes:

MMC
06-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Some people just feel a need to get their panties in a wad over nothing.

I also have to call bull$#@! on that alleged text message. 9 year old girls don't go around saying "Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?"

Get a life, People.

Its Hollywood.....you know how they like to ad-lib when breaking from script. :grin:

MMC
06-04-2016, 10:14 AM
The context is Apocalypse is the film's villain and Mystique is one of the heroes.

It's not casual violence against women :rollseyes:

Yeah I don't think Apocalypse was being casual about taking them out. I wonder if Rose is all butt hurt cuz she couldn't get the Mystique part.

Standing Wolf
06-04-2016, 10:18 AM

It's not casual violence against women

That's what I'm saying, too. The Devil's Advocate would make the point, however, that not everyone has seen or has any interest in the X-Men movies and doesn't know one character from another.

Crepitus
06-04-2016, 10:53 AM
It's 2 mutants from a movie fighting. Get real people.

Besides, Mystique is just luring him in close so she can open up a can 'o whoop-ass on him.

MMC
06-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Yeah which then everything is cool when they show women kicking the shit out of men, Right? Rose is peachy keen with that violence, huh?

Standing Wolf
06-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Yeah which then everything is cool when they show women kicking the $#@! out of men, Right? Rose is peachy keen with that violence, huh?

To be fair, I think they're mostly complaining not about the content of that or any other movie, but about this big, context-less image on a billboard. There are some good movies that depict violence against women - Enough, with Jen Lopez is one that comes to mind - but it's unlikely that the poster for any of those films depicted the violence.

MMC
06-04-2016, 11:32 AM
To be fair, I think they're mostly complaining not about the content of that or any other movie, but about this big, context-less image on a billboard. There are some good movies that depict violence against women - Enough, with Jen Lopez is one that comes to mind - but it's unlikely that the poster for any of those films depicted the violence.

To be fair.....while playing Devil's Advocate. The sign does say only the strong will survive. :evil:

Would you call J Lo's movie an Action and Adventure Film? Quite the difference with Drama and Suspense vs Action and Adventure. Which this X Men movie would be a Fantasy Action and Adventure Movie.

Imagine if it were a black man being strangled by a white man, or a gay male being strangled by a hetero? The outcry would be enormous. So let’s right this wrong. 20th Century Fox, since you can’t manage to put any women directors on your slate for the next two years, how about you at least replace your ad?”.....snip~

Captain Obvious
06-04-2016, 01:02 PM
It's 2 mutants from a movie fighting. Get real people.

Besides, Mystique is just luring him in close so she can open up a can 'o whoop-ass on him.

Female violence against men is wholly socially acceptable though, nobody would give a rats ass if that ad were the other way around.

Double standard basically, minorities want equality - for them, not for everyone.

Crepitus
06-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Female violence against men is wholly socially acceptable though, nobody would give a rats ass if that ad were the other way around.

Double standard basically, minorities want equality - for them, not for everyone.
Don't be so damn cynical, it's human nature. Like the thread about the hot female teacher and the 13 yr old boy. It's just a different point of view depending on circumstances.

IOW shit ain't always either black or white.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Don't be so damn cynical, it's human nature. Like the thread about the hot female teacher and the 13 yr old boy. It's just a different point of view depending on circumstances.

IOW shit ain't always either black or white.

Cynical?

Look - I agree with the sentiment that men don't hit women period. And I agree that males are really held to a different sexual standard for a reason.

What I don't agree with is mainly progressives demanding total equality but looking the other way at stuff like this.

Standing Wolf
06-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Cynical?

Look - I agree with the sentiment that men don't hit women period. And I agree that males are really held to a different sexual standard for a reason.

What I don't agree with is mainly progressives demanding total equality but looking the other way at stuff like this.

Can you point to a film poster or ad that depicts a woman assaulting a man?

dequ1
06-04-2016, 08:22 PM
xssd
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/TjaSW7o__4YoeP955zOqUA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NzY4O2g9NDMzO2lsPX BsYW5l/http://66.media.tumblr.com/1dd5a7b5b19866dcb4eb1ef68f851e6b/tumblr_inline_o87e2s36Kx1td0hds_1280.jpg

Rose McGowan and others object to this L.A. billboard’s “casual violence against women” as a marketing image.....

As 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse stormed theaters over the long weekend, critics took aim at billboards featuring Oscar Isaac’s Apocalypse choking Jennifer Lawrence’s Mystique.

Among them was Rose McGowan, who elaborated on a May 25 Facebook post to THR: “There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film. There is no context in the ad, just a woman getting strangled. The fact that no one flagged this is offensive and frankly, stupid. The geniuses behind this, and I use that term lightly, need to to take a long hard look at the mirror and see how they are contributing to society. Imagine if it were a black man being strangled by a white man, or a gay male being strangled by a hetero? The outcry would be enormous. So let’s right this wrong. 20th Century Fox, since you can’t manage to put any women directors on your slate for the next two years, how about you at least replace your ad?”

She continued: “I’ll close with a text my friend sent, a conversation with his daughter. It follows: ‘My daughter and I were just having a deep discussion on the brutality of that hideous X-Men poster yesterday. Her words: ‘Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?’ This from a 9-year-old. If she can see it, why can’t Fox?”

In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Fox apologized for the billboard: “In our enthusiasm to show the villainy of the character Apocalypse we didn’t immediately recognize the upsetting connotation of this image in print form. Once we realized how insensitive it was, we quickly took steps to remove those materials. We apologize for our actions and would never condone violence against women.”

The image has met with criticism on the East Coast as well. New York blogger EV Grieve posted a photo (http://evgrieve.com/2016/05/if-you-dont-like-movie-posters-of-en.html) of the poster above a subway station in the city at First Avenue and 14th Street that had been covered with eight pieces of paper that connected to say, “This violence in my kid’s face is not okay.”.....snip~

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/rose-mcgowan-calls-out-x-men-billboard-that-162518329.html

What say ye?

Does this kind of 'man' upset you?

MMC
06-04-2016, 09:02 PM
xssd

Does this kind of 'man' upset you?

What kind of man would that be?

Captain Obvious
06-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Fox apologizes for X-men poster that showed Jennifer Lawrence's character being strangled by a man
I'm sowwy...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3626246/We-never-condone-violence-against-women-Fox-apologizes-X-men-poster-showed-Jennifer-Lawrence-s-character-strangled-man.html

Fox has apologized for using an image of Jennifer Lawrence began strangled to promote the new X-Men film.

Twentieth Century Fox, the film arm of the corporation, admitted the grim image of J-Law's character Mystique being choked by villain Apocalypse, played by Oscar Isaac, was upsetting and showed violence towards women.

The scene, which was projected onto billboards and signs, was taken from a scene of one of their latest releases X-Men: Apocalypse.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/05/16/34F1611E00000578-0-image-a-33_1465141569321.jpg