PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Plan to Rescue the Postal Service.....

MMC
09-20-2011, 07:19 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/postal-plan-save-20-billion-white-house-170626630.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration's plan to rescue the U.S. Postal Service would allow the agency to end Saturday mail delivery and sell non-postal products, according to documents released on Monday.

The plan, introduced alongside a deficit-reduction package, also would restructure a massive annual payment to prefund retiree health benefits and refund $6.9 billion the mail carrier says it overpaid into a federal retirement fund.

The Postal Service has watched its core business of delivering mail erode as consumers send email and pay bills online. The agency has said it needs to downsize drastically or it will be unable to deliver mail by the end of next summer.

The agency has said it needs to reduce payrolls by about 220,000 by 2015 and is studying thousands of post offices and about 300 processing facilities for possible closure.

Analysts have said the move to five-day mail delivery could hurt e-commerce businesses that rely on the Postal Service to carry their products to consumers.

Shares of eBay Inc fell more than 6 percent this month on concerns that proposed cuts could raise costs for the site's small sellers.

The Postal Service contends that weekend mail traffic is too light to support Saturday delivery.....snip~

Just think to have no mai man to talk to on Saturday and more. Obama says it will save 20 Billion......of course Next Tuesday, meaning a few years down the road. I am tired of this Wimpy Wellington bullshit. I will gladly pay you for hamburger next Tuesday for one today. People need to jump up and tells ALL these POLS. "Hey" were tired of this bullshit that it will save money later on. If it is not saving money now and you cannot implement anything to alleviate the problems then you are not saving us shit.

Conley
09-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Seems like it would start saving money as soon as it was started?

Gotta do all we can to save money, if it means no mail on Saturday I'm for it.

Just remember what got us in this mess -- it was no-layoff contracts NOT the cost of delivering mail six times a week.
Learn from the mistakes and don't repeat them.