PDA

View Full Version : Should everyone vote?

coolwalker
09-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Me I think every "informed" person should vote, but those who have no idea of what is happening and what role politics plays in their daily lives should stay home because they will be voting from purely an emotional basis...something akin to voting for the high school student council president; it becomes a personality contest and we do not need rock stars to guide us.

Larry Dickman
09-26-2012, 09:07 AM
I suggest a simple short test.

-Name the current president, vice president, majority and minority leaders in house and senate, and at least three sitting SCOTUS justices.

-Name the three branches of government.

- Show proof of citizenship.

- Answer all these questions in English.

Then vote.

IGetItAlready
09-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Despite the monumentally improved results we'd get from our process, I can't support a litmus test for voters.
That being said, I like Larry's suggestion. Fact is, if you can't answer those simple questions, IN ENGLISH, you likely don't know who or what the hell you're voting for anyway.

Chris
09-26-2012, 09:28 AM
"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. And to render even them safe, their minds must be improved to a certain degree. . . . An amendment to our constitution must here come in aid of the public education. The influence over government must be shared among all people."
~Jefferson, cited in Jefferson, Education and the Franchise (http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/winter96/jefferson.html)

(Note that Jefferson's plan, contrary to today's system, for public education was decentralized, control was to be maintained at the local level.)

coolwalker
09-26-2012, 09:40 AM
This isn't to stop people from voting, but to have "informed" people making our life choices, whereas the government controls every aspect of our lives. I doubt seriously that anyone would allow a person to drive a bus who couldn't drive, or fly a plane who was afraid of heights...selecting our leaders affects each of us, and I personlly don't want a group of dummies making choices for my children.

Carygrant
09-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Should everyone vote?
It seems ironic that you of all people should pose that question .
Is it the fifth amendment you wimps use to avoid telling the truth ?
I return to my seat , Mister Speaker .

coolwalker
09-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Should everyone vote?

It seems ironic that you of all people should pose that question .
Is it the fifth amendment you wimps use to avoid telling the truth ?
I return to my seat , Mister Speaker .

I think your boyfriend is waiting for you to get off the pot.

Goldie Locks
09-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Despite the monumentally improved results we'd get from our process, I can't support a litmus test for voters.
That being said, I like Larry's suggestion. Fact is, if you can't answer those simple questions, IN ENGLISH, you likely don't know who or what the hell you're voting for anyway.

That's why they hire interpreters...LOL English is not an official language here while I agree a lot of those who vote, have no idea what they are voting for, if they are a citizen, they have a right to vote. Anything other than that would require an amendment to the Constitution. Problem is it seems we have dead people and illegals that obtain the right to vote.

URF8
09-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Voting is a civic duty which requires making one's self informed about candidates and issues. If one cannot fulfill his or her duty for any reason one should do no harm by casting an ill-informed ballot.

texmaster
09-26-2012, 10:51 AM

-Name the current president, vice president, majority and minority leaders in house and senate, and at least three sitting SCOTUS justices.

Then vote.

http://blog.2modern.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/james-joyce-4.jpg

IGetItAlready
09-26-2012, 11:11 AM
That's why they hire interpreters...LOL English is not an official language here while I agree a lot of those who vote, have no idea what they are voting for, if they are a citizen, they have a right to vote. Anything other than that would require an amendment to the Constitution. Problem is it seems we have dead people and illegals that obtain the right to vote.

Not to mention cartoon characters and multiple votes from the homeless who have admitted being paid for multiple votes in food and smokes.

patrickt
09-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Then vote.

Wasn't it a sitting senator, Chuck Schumer, who listed the House, Senate, and President as the three branches of government?

I can't remember, without checking, the minority leader in the Senate and I only remember the minority leader in the House because she's a raving maniac.

Every election the Democrats send teams of goons to nursing homes to "help" people with dementia to vote by signing already completed ballots. How thoughtful.

In California, the Democrats mailed out thousands of counterfeit voter registration cards to foreign nationals.

The Democrats are suing to allow felons to vote.

My god, people, are you going to disenfranchise everyone even dead people? Next you'll want to allow people to vote only once in each election.