PDA

View Full Version : tPF 4 hikers die in AZ during record breaking heat

Peter1469
06-22-2016, 06:30 AM
4 hikers die in AZ during record breaking heat (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/dangerous-wildfires-continue-a/58263804)

Probably merits a Darwin Award nomination. I am an out doors guy. But you don't stop thinking when you plan an outdoor event.

Heat will continue to plague the southwestern United States early this week after a brutal weekend that led to at least four deaths.

At least five hikers died in separate incidents in Arizona where temperatures soared to record levels in some areas

Don
06-23-2016, 12:18 PM
The temps hit 120 here on that day. The thing about this heat wave is that it came a few weeks earlier than normal.
I'm 66 and I can walk a mile in 105 degree heat with no ill effects. The humidity is almost always 10%. I wear a palmetto hat which is kind of a cross between a sombrero and a cowboy hat. It would work much like a swamp cooler if a person sweated but you hardly ever sweat here. It gives you some shade though. I see the people from south of the border working here at temps up to 111 or so. They wear lots of clothes and wrap white towels around their heads like the Arabs do. When you adapt to the summers here you hardly notice it. The day it hit 120 I went out several times and walked a couple blocks to check my mailbox then back home. One time I talked to a neighbor for 5 minutes. The key is to shorten the time you are out there. You don't go on hikes where when you pass the point of no return you die.

Up north you get people who venture out in freezing weather unprepared who die or get really bad frostbite. No different here with the heat. Like in the north preparedness means keeping your car in good condition or not going to an area where there are no people to help you if you have a breakdown during the more extreme times. If you do you might die when your heater or air conditioner stops working and all you have is the unsuitable clothes you are wearing.

Peter1469
06-23-2016, 01:01 PM
The temps hit 120 here on that day. The thing about this heat wave is that it came a few weeks earlier than normal.
I'm 66 and I can walk a mile in 105 degree heat with no ill effects. The humidity is almost always 10%. I wear a palmetto hat which is kind of a cross between a sombrero and a cowboy hat. It would work much like a swamp cooler if a person sweated but you hardly ever sweat here. It gives you some shade though. I see the people from south of the border working here at temps up to 111 or so. They wear lots of clothes and wrap white towels around their heads like the Arabs do. When you adapt to the summers here you hardly notice it. The day it hit 120 I went out several times and walked a couple blocks to check my mailbox then back home. One time I talked to a neighbor for 5 minutes. The key is to shorten the time you are out there. You don't go on hikes where when you pass the point of no return you die.

Up north you get people who venture out in freezing weather unprepared who die or get really bad frostbite. No different here with the heat. Like in the north preparedness means keeping your car in good condition or not going to an area where there are no people to help you if you have a breakdown during the more extreme times. If you do you might die when your heater or air conditioner stops working and all you have is the unsuitable clothes you are wearing.

I have done operations in the army in all sorts of weather. So cold that my feet felt like they were loose water in my boots to so hot that I thought my brain would fry.

You just have to prepare ahead of time.

AZ Jim
06-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Most of our troubles come from our hiking trails on Camelback Mountain. It is almost always either snowbirds who haven't left yet when the heat hits or it's tourists. They take off with little or no water and start the climb. The searchers have to go up and scour the trail area looking for missing hikers and often find a body. Happens every year though this year it is hotter earlier.

donttread
07-10-2016, 12:35 PM

We have people that run at -25 degrees which I personally think is vrazy, yet I thought nothing of skating or playing street hockey in the same wether. But yo have to know your limitations for example at 40 below we might walk outdoors but that was it. Breathing hard at -40 is a shock to the lungs

donttread
07-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Most of our troubles come from our hiking trails on Camelback Mountain. It is almost always either snowbirds who haven't left yet when the heat hits or it's tourists. They take off with little or no water and start the climb. The searchers have to go up and scour the trail area looking for missing hikers and often find a body. Happens every year though this year it is hotter earlier.

I don't think many of us northerners accout for the extra fluids needed hen it's that hot AD that dry

Standing Wolf
07-10-2016, 01:33 PM
People get c**ky and overconfident. One of the deceased this year was a personal fitness trainer. I'm reminded of a story told by Ron White - about the guy down in Florida who tied himself to a tree during a hurricane, to prove that he was "in good enough shape" to survive something like that. As RW said, "If you get hit in the head with a Volvo, it doesn't really matter how many sit-ups you did that morning." You can be in the best physical condition of anyone you know, but Mother Nature can still kick your a*s, maybe permanently, anytime she wants to.

Chloe
08-17-2016, 03:40 PM
My dad and I are hiking a trail at mount jefferson tomorrow, which we've done before, but it's also supposed to be close to 100 degrees tomorrow so we will see if I make it back or not.

AZ Jim
08-17-2016, 03:49 PM
My dad and I are hiking a trail at mount jefferson tomorrow, which we've done before, but it's also supposed to be close to 100 degrees tomorrow so we will see if I make it back or not.We have been 32 days now at 110+ heat. We have been as high as 117.

Chloe
08-17-2016, 03:53 PM
We have been 32 days now at 110+ heat. We have been as high as 117.

You also live in the desert

Peter1469
08-17-2016, 03:54 PM
My dad and I are hiking a trail at mount jefferson tomorrow, which we've done before, but it's also supposed to be close to 100 degrees tomorrow so we will see if I make it back or not.

Have a camel back? Also if there is fresh water along the trail do you have a water purifier? Waterstraws are small and easy to use.

Chloe
08-17-2016, 03:56 PM
Have a camel back? Also if there is fresh water along the trail do you have a water purifier? Waterstraws are small and easy to use.

I'll bring water and things like that and there will be freshwater along the way. I actually do have a lifestraw that I always carry with me on long hikes. I plan on taking a dip too.

Mister D
08-17-2016, 03:58 PM
People get c**ky and overconfident. One of the deceased this year was a personal fitness trainer. I'm reminded of a story told by Ron White - about the guy down in Florida who tied himself to a tree during a hurricane, to prove that he was "in good enough shape" to survive something like that. As RW said, "If you get hit in the head with a Volvo, it doesn't really matter how many sit-ups you did that morning." You can be in the best physical condition of anyone you know, but Mother Nature can still kick your a*s, maybe permanently, anytime she wants to.

learned my lesson running in a thunderstorm which turned out to be quite severe. put the fear of God in me.

TrueBlue
08-17-2016, 04:02 PM
4 hikers die in AZ during record breaking heat (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/dangerous-wildfires-continue-a/58263804)

Probably merits a Darwin Award nomination. I am an out doors guy. But you don't stop thinking when you plan an outdoor event.
I have never understood why people would want to go hiking in such brutal temperatures! It almost appears like it could be a suicide mission, sad to say.

Peter1469
08-17-2016, 04:11 PM
I'll bring water and things like that and there will be freshwater along the way. I actually do have a lifestraw that I always carry with me on long hikes. I plan on taking a dip too.

If you or your dad start to overheat or feel heat-sick, find shade and wait for dark. I have done most of my "hiking" at night. :smiley:

Peter1469
08-17-2016, 04:14 PM
I have never understood why people would want to go hiking in such brutal temperatures! It almost appears like it could be a suicide mission, sad to say.

The Army puts on a Bataan Death March marathon every year at White Sands Missile Range. Here (http://bataanmarch.com/) are the 2016 results with maps of the course and links. And stuff.

The last time I was in Iraq we made our own.

http://bataanmarch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/26.2-Route_Map.jpg
http://bataanmarch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Elevation.jpg

I’ve done 17 marathons – this was unreal. I wasn’t prepared for the sand.
I wasn’t prepared for all the loose sand – many miles of this and a lot of it uphill.
This course was nice due to the dirt. Not much pavement to pound the feet and joints.
I was shocked as to how difficult walking 26.2 miles could be. I’ve been on a lot of forced marches but none were harder than this.
Training for this course like a regular marathon doesn’t quite do the trick. I should have done a lot of hiking, hills, rough terrain type training.

AZ Jim
08-17-2016, 04:21 PM
You also live in the desertOh Wow! I had no idea!!

The Xl
08-17-2016, 04:22 PM
I'm tired of this heat and humidity. Bring on the fall plz.

Chloe
08-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Oh Wow! I had no idea!!

Old age must suck :)

AZ Jim
08-17-2016, 04:44 PM
Old age must suck :)If you're one of the lucky ones, you'll find out!

TrueBlue
08-17-2016, 04:51 PM
The Army puts on a Bataan Death March marathon every year at White Sands Missile Range. Here (http://bataanmarch.com/) are the 2016 results with maps of the course and links. And stuff.

The last time I was in Iraq we made our own.

http://bataanmarch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/26.2-Route_Map.jpg
http://bataanmarch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Elevation.jpg

I’ve done 17 marathons – this was unreal. I wasn’t prepared for the sand.
I wasn’t prepared for all the loose sand – many miles of this and a lot of it uphill.
This course was nice due to the dirt. Not much pavement to pound the feet and joints.
I was shocked as to how difficult walking 26.2 miles could be. I’ve been on a lot of forced marches but none were harder than this.
Training for this course like a regular marathon doesn’t quite do the trick. I should have done a lot of hiking, hills, rough terrain type training.

And that can only exemplify that being subjected to that type of physical training or otherwise can certainly become a suicide mission. I have heard that many military personnel have perished during such training. That's sad and imho, calls for the immediate need to restructure the current system such as to avoid unnecessary deaths due to unnecessary imposed training. There has to be other ways to accomplish the same goals and objectives without imperiling the lives of participants.

Peter1469
08-17-2016, 04:52 PM
And that can only exemplify that being subjected to that type of physical training or otherwise can certainly become a suicide mission. I have heard that many military personnel have perished during such training. That's sad and imho, calls for the immediate need to restructure the current system such as to avoid unnecessary deaths due to unnecessary imposed training. There has to be other ways to accomplish the same goals and objectives without imperiling the lives of participants.

Yes, a surprisingly high number of military members die in training.

TrueBlue
08-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Old age must suck :)

If you're one of the lucky ones, you'll find out!
Well you all should know that there's two things that are a certainty in life. You either grow old or you perish younger. No way around that.

TrueBlue
08-17-2016, 04:57 PM
Yes, a surprisingly high number of military members die in training.
And one just has to be pragmatic and ask themselves the question: Was it really worth losing your life over that?

Peter1469
08-17-2016, 05:26 PM
And one just has to be pragmatic and ask themselves the question: Was it really worth losing your life over that?

All lot of us joined. Some stuck around.

When I was in the 82nd ABN one of our sergeants major who had been in the 82nd his entire career turned in his jump wings after a particularly bad jump. He was months away from retirement and too many paratroopers got hurt and he wanted to have a life after he got his papers. That caused a minor scandal in the upper levels at Bragg. The winds were so bad that night they had a lot of bad landings.

Standing Wolf
08-17-2016, 05:41 PM
We have been 32 days now at 110+ heat. We have been as high as 117.

Yeah, but what was the humidity today. Three?

"Hey, that guy just burst into flames!"
"Yeah, but they're dry flames."

Standing Wolf
08-17-2016, 05:44 PM
I plan on taking a dip too.

Well, okay, but I don't see how that's going to help.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/nerd3_7298.jpg

AZ Jim
08-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Yeah, but what was the humidity today. Three?

"Hey, that guy just burst into flames!"
"Yeah, but they're dry flames."Somewhat surprisingly it's been in the mid to high 30's due to monsoon conditions. I remember the joke where the guy says "it's a dry heat" and the respondent says "so is a oven"....

TrueBlue
08-17-2016, 06:20 PM
All lot of us joined. Some stuck around.

When I was in the 82nd ABN one of our sergeants major who had been in the 82nd his entire career turned in his jump wings after a particularly bad jump. He was months away from retirement and too many paratroopers got hurt and he wanted to have a life after he got his papers. That caused a minor scandal in the upper levels at Bragg. The winds were so bad that night they had a lot of bad landings.
That had to be one super intelligent Sergeant Major!