PDA

View Full Version : Unleash the SAW! – Civilian M249 Now Available – Full Review

Peter1469
06-27-2016, 03:17 PM
Unleash the SAW! – Civilian M249 Now Available – Full Review (https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/unleash-saw-civilian-m249-now-available-full-review/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20160627_BlogDigest_178g&utm_campaign=%2Fblog%2Funleash-saw-civilian-m249-now-available-full-review%2F)

$8000 for a semi-auto light machine gun.

I shot best in the brigade on the SAW when I was enlisted.

While at Shot Show, I had the opportunity to both shoot and handle the new FN Military Collector Series (http://www.fnamerica.com/products/collector-series/military-collectors-series/) of guns from FN. With FN providing true military grade firearms like the M16, M4 Carbine and M249 SAW directly to the U.S. military, it is clear this is a company that knows how to produce true mil-spec hardware. The FN Military Collector Series provides civilian shooters with semi-automatic variants of these battle-proven firearms.

I quickly asked when I would be able to get demo guns and was promised a shot as soon as they were available. I received the M16 (https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/fn-military-collector-m16/) first, followed by the M4 Carbine. I continued to press for the M249S, a semi-automatic version of the M249 SAW, so hard that I knew I would eventually get one, or a restraining order. The day has finally arrived, and let me tell you upfront, this gun is amazing.

Cigar
06-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Varmints Beware :laugh:

Truth Detector
06-27-2016, 03:21 PM
$8,000.00? I think I will pass; but it is AWESOME for the person with unlimited funds and who doesn't live in a communist state like KaLiFoRnIa. :biglaugh:

Cigar
06-27-2016, 03:27 PM
For $8k I could get a Supper Charger for the Vett or Cam Job

Crepitus
06-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Reading the text it sounds like it looks like an M249 on the outside but its totally different on the inside. different receiver, different bolt assembly different trigger assembly and so on.

8 grand seems kinda high for a lookalike.

Crepitus
06-27-2016, 03:35 PM
For $8k I could get a Supper Charger for the Vett or Cam Job
If you'd do your own work both of those would cost significantly less.

Peter1469
06-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Reading the text it sounds like it looks like an M249 on the outside but its totally different on the inside. different receiver, different bolt assembly different trigger assembly and so on.

8 grand seems kinda high for a lookalike.

Right. It is a civilian version.

Private Pickle
06-27-2016, 03:51 PM
Would be a waste here in Colorado with the magazine capacity limits...

Peter1469
06-27-2016, 03:55 PM
How do they handle belt length?

Bo-4
06-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Unleash the SAW! – Civilian M249 Now Available – Full Review (https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/unleash-saw-civilian-m249-now-available-full-review/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20160627_BlogDigest_178g&utm_campaign=%2Fblog%2Funleash-saw-civilian-m249-now-available-full-review%2F)

Cool Pete, so how long will it be before some a-hole beats both Omar and Adam and mows down 75 or 150?

However - this implement of destruction has AMAZING hunting potential .. right?

:rolleyes:

Cletus
06-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Cool Pete, so how long will it be before some a-hole beats both Omar and Adam and mows down 75 or 150?

Oh, get your panties unwadded and Ranger up. The Second Amendment, which you and your ilk will NEVER repeal, has nothing to do with hunting.

Bo-4
06-27-2016, 06:45 PM
Oh, get your panties unwadded and Ranger up. The Second Amendment, which you and your ilk will NEVER repeal, has nothing to do with hunting.

Our Founding Fathers would ROLL if they saw this shit and you know it.

Note: You generally have ONE shot to kill a deer, elk or whatever the F you're hunting unless it's birds in flight and then maybe two.

Note2: I have a Glock 9mm x 17 which i keep loaded for home defense with 15 hole blasting hollows .. if i can't hit my home invasion target(s) sufficiently with 15 rounds, then i DESERVE to die.

Now explain why you need 30-100+ to do anything other than kill a buttload of people.

We'll wait.

jimmyz
06-27-2016, 06:54 PM

Note: You generally have ONE shot to kill a deer, elk or whatever the F you're hunting unless it's birds in flight and then maybe two.

Note2: I have a Glock 9mm x 17 which i keep loaded for home defense with 15 hole blasting hollows .. if i can't hit my home invasion target(s) sufficiently with 15 rounds, then i DESERVE to die.

Now explain why you need 30-100+ to do anything other than kill a buttload of people.

We'll wait.

You don't get it. You never "need" one. You always want one. It's how collectors feel about their firearm hobby.

Bo-4
06-27-2016, 07:03 PM
You don't get it. You never "need" one. You always want one. It's how collectors feel about their firearm hobby.

Cool, practice your "hobby" far FAR away from me and mine.

jimmyz
06-27-2016, 07:14 PM
Cool, practice your "hobby" far FAR away from me and mine.

But you're in the next shooting lane at the range. How can I not be near you. You do practice with your weapon right? A guy that can afford this SAW is probably one nice well to do citizen. I'd be more afraid of the Muslim pirate pretending to be your neighbor right up to the point he kills you and everyone near you.

Crepitus
06-27-2016, 07:18 PM
Apart from capacity it's just another semi-auto rifle.

Cletus
06-27-2016, 07:38 PM

What do you think they would find funnier... that you are running around with your panties in a wad or that you think the Second Amendment is about hunting?

And?

Never been in a gunfight, have you? Your manner of speech also tells me you don't know squat about your own G17 or defensive shooting.

The objective of the Second Amendment is ensure the citizenry has small arms parity with conventional infantry forces. If you want to limit the military to 10 round magazines, I would entertain the motion of placing the same limitation on the civilian populace. Until then...

zelmo1234
06-27-2016, 09:07 PM

Well they are not likely going to chase you down with it.

zelmo1234
06-27-2016, 09:10 PM
Our Founding Fathers would ROLL if they saw this $#@! and you know it.

We'll wait.

You are correct they would be so pissed that the people were not allowed to own the Automatic versions they would be beside themselves. They would wonder why each town did not have their own tanks and aircraft.

They would wonder what happened to the beautiful Republic that they created.

zelmo1234
06-27-2016, 09:12 PM
I think I want one. just to put up on the mantle to piss liberals off.

Cthulhu
06-27-2016, 09:27 PM
Our Founding Fathers would ROLL if they saw this $#@! and you know it.

We'll wait.
It isn't about hunting animals.

It's about hunting rogue governments and theirs muppets when they go bad for too long.

AKA bad public workers.

Savvy?

Or should I use bright colors too?

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

Crepitus
06-27-2016, 10:38 PM
Right. It is a civilian version.
That's kinda like calling a Cessna the civilian version of an F-16.

Cigar
06-28-2016, 10:13 AM
It isn't about hunting animals.

It's about hunting rogue governments and theirs muppets when they go bad for too long.

AKA bad public workers.

Savvy?

Or should I use bright colors too?

Cthulhu hey smart guy ... you'll never see the 82 Airborne Division coming (you'll be dead), but before they "Ring Your Door Bell", there will be several surveillance flights follow by Tactical Air-Strikes, then if there's anything left ... the Army will send a Front Loader to move hour sh!t.

:laugh:

Cletus
06-28-2016, 10:28 AM
If the 82d was ever deployed against me, I would probably receive 50 phone calls letting me know about it before the Warning Order ever made it out of Division.

You have absolutely no idea how things work in the real world.

Tahuyaman
06-28-2016, 02:57 PM

I always liked the M249. I wasn't very good with it though.

Tahuyaman
06-28-2016, 04:36 PM
If the 82d was ever deployed against me, I would probably receive 50 phone calls letting me know about it before the Warning Order ever made it out of Division.

You have absolutely no idea how things work in the real world.

If Cigar's military knowledge was converted to mass and shoved up a bumble bee's ass, it would rattle around like a BB in a box car.

Cthulhu
06-28-2016, 08:21 PM
Cthulhu hey smart guy ... you'll never see the 82 Airborne Division coming (you'll be dead), but before they "Ring Your Door Bell", there will be several surveillance flights follow by Tactical Air-Strikes, then if there's anything left ... the Army will send a Front Loader to move hour sh!t.

:laugh:
If the US military ever turned on the population, it would be ugly, but the military would inevitably lose the war.

You can't attack your supply lines and expect to survive.

The American population is the most dangerous population to walk the face of this earth, ever.

Cletus
06-28-2016, 10:33 PM
If the US military ever turned on the population, it would be ugly, but the military would inevitably lose the war.

You can't attack your supply lines and expect to survive.

The American population is the most dangerous population to walk the face of this earth, ever.

That is more true than most people would like to think.