PDA

View Full Version : Lots of varied outdoor activities the past week

donttread
07-09-2016, 10:36 PM
In the past few days I have gone swiming, rafting, gardened , yard work including a " motorless weed whacker" and a river cruise where we walked all around a castle. Lots of time at the beach with the grandkids too

Peter1469
07-10-2016, 02:40 AM
Castle? What castle?

FindersKeepers
07-10-2016, 04:48 AM
In the past few days I have gone swiming, rafting, gardened , yard work including a " motorless weed whacker" and a river cruise where we walked all around a castle. Lots of time at the beach with the grandkids too

Sounds like you've been busy having a lot of fun!

Minus the motorless weed whacker part.

donttread
07-10-2016, 08:23 AM
Castle? What castle?

You've probably heard of it Peter. Boldt Castle just off Alex Bay, NY

PolWatch
07-10-2016, 08:31 AM
It sounds like you had a great week! Unfortunately, my trips outside are running between A/C in the house, car, stores/offices. We have hit the 5th season in south Alabama. We have Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer & now we are in Hell until about Sept. At 8 am its 81 with a heat index of 95....93% humidity. We can count on thunderstorms every afternoon (one of the joys of living in a semi-tropical area). Hell season in a sauna!

donttread
07-10-2016, 08:33 AM
Sounds like you've been busy having a lot of fun!

Minus the motorless weed whacker part.

It's good exercise and I'm pretty good with it. I think it helps the golf swing to.
If I could do away with all my small gasoline engines with sweat and electric motors I'd be a happy man. Small gas engines tend to be less reliable as they are not used consistently and there are plenty of things that can go wrong. And God forbid you forget to get the 91 octane ethanol free gas or you'll be messing with that motor all summer long. But an electric motor, you hook the cables to the battery or flip the switch and here we go silently gliding across the lake for example . Like many small towns we have one good small engine guy who's workload is backed up for days if not weeks.

donttread
07-10-2016, 08:37 AM
It sounds like you had a great week! Unfortunately, my trips outside are running between A/C in the house, car, stores/offices. We have hit the 5th season in south Alabama. We have Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer & now we are in Hell until about Sept. At 8 am its 81 with a heat index of 95....93% humidity. We can count on thunderstorms every afternoon (one of the joys of living in a semi-tropical area). Hell season in a sauna!

LOL at the "we are in hell until about September" Here in NNY we can take on ice storms, snow storms measured in feet, high winds and 40 below zero without batting an eye.
But we are big time wimps when it gets hot and humid.

FindersKeepers
07-10-2016, 09:34 AM
It's good exercise and I'm pretty good with it. I think it helps the golf swing to.
If I could do away with all my small gasoline engines with sweat and electric motors I'd be a happy man. Small gas engines tend to be less reliable as they are not used consistently and there are plenty of things that can go wrong. And God forbid you forget to get the 91 octane ethanol free gas or you'll be messing with that motor all summer long. But an electric motor, you hook the cables to the battery or flip the switch and here we go silently gliding across the lake for example . Like many small towns we have one good small engine guy who's workload is backed up for days if not weeks.

I hear ya on the gas-versus-electric motors. I have a little battery-operated weed whacker that does fine around the sidewalk, trees and planters, but it doesn't have the power to cut down larger weeds on the acreage. We have a couple heavy-duty gas whackers but danged if I can use them. If I am able to crank one, I can't hold it up because it's so heavy. After weed-wacking my shins once I gave up trying to use those monsters.

Gliding across the lake silently sounds nice. I have a canoe but it's oar-powered. Hmmm...it's about time to get it out of the barn, I think....

Peter1469
07-10-2016, 10:27 AM
You've probably heard of it Peter. Boldt Castle just off Alex Bay, NY

It isn't far from where I use to live. I never made it there.

donttread
07-10-2016, 12:26 PM
It isn't far from where I use to live. I never made it there.

I thought you'd know of it. A rich NYS business man had it built for his wife, employing as many as 300 workers at a time
But his ungrateful wife had te nerve to die before finished it. He then haulted construction and never looked back.

Peter1469
07-10-2016, 12:29 PM
I thought you'd know of it. A rich NYS business man had it built for his wife, employing as many as 300 workers at a time
But his ungrateful wife had te nerve to die before finished it. He then haulted construction and never looked back.

I heard the story. Wish I would have paid a visit. There is a lot of interesting things in that region.

donttread
07-10-2016, 12:30 PM

Not to rub it in Pol, because I don't do that) LOL. But I just gardened for a couple of hours in a light refreshing mist at 65 degrees. Perfect work weather

donttread
07-11-2016, 07:57 PM
I heard the story. Wish I would have paid a visit. There is a lot of interesting things in that region.

I would of loved to be a teenager with a boat in the days when they weren't restoring or garding the castle. The rooms they haven't renovted yet are full of graffiti. I mean those kids LITERALLY had a party palace