PDA

View Full Version : Bias in Police Use of Force but Not in Shootings

FindersKeepers
07-11-2016, 09:06 AM
A new study (http://www.nber.org/papers/w22399) confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police.

But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias.
“It is the most surprising result of my career,” said Roland G. Fryer Jr. (http://scholar.harvard.edu/fryer/home), the author of the study and a professor of economics at Harvard. The study examined more than a thousand shootings in 10 major police departments, in Texas, Florida and California.

The result contradicts the mental image of police shootings that many Americans hold in the wake of the killings (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/30/us/police-videos-race.html) (some captured on video) of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo.; Laquan McDonald in Chicago; Tamir Rice in Cleveland; Walter Scott in South Carolina; Samuel DuBose in Cincinnati; Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, La.; and Philando Castile in Minnesota.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0

Common
07-11-2016, 09:15 AM
I actually agree with this but know what, its not a white thing its a police thing. Black Officers do the same thing.

Everything boils down to crime in black neighborhoods and the hood mentality when dealing with police. Peer pressure, you get a 911 to a bad neighborhood the cops are pumped and expect the worst right off. They get there and their JOB is to try and find out what happened so they can take appropriate action. Then they are confronted with extreme verbal abuse. You asked a black male involved in the situation and IMMEDIATELY he gets an ATTITUDE to put on a show that he aint no tom or no punk to EVERYONE watching.

The biggest problem in policiing is that its ALWAYS a bad confrontation with blacks and cops and thats what creates the basis for most of the bad events.

I dont expect the white liberals to believe anything. You would be amazed and stunned how fast an empty street FILLS with a huge crowd as soon as a cop car stops. Its incredible to watch and then all the shit starts

Safety
07-11-2016, 09:17 AM
So, if there is bias in the use of force, wouldn't there be an expectation that when those encounters of force is met with resistance, then lethal force is used?

It's like when some members here get mad over "baiting" and then when they get punished for taking it to the next level, they complain about bias...

Common
07-11-2016, 09:25 AM
So, if there is bias in the use of force, wouldn't there be an expectation that when those encounters of force is met with resistance, then lethal force is used?

It's like when some members here get mad over "baiting" and then when they get punished for taking it to the next level, they complain about bias...

You got it right just backwards, if you intentionally set out to piss someone off, what do you expect. The problem is that blacks get NASTY and sarcastic and thats just to start whenever they are approached for anything. I find it ironic that when a cop in accordance with his duty stops a black person and they get nasty belligerent and refuse to comply and a physical incident ensues. People blame the PAST instead of the person that caused that incident.

Its natural for any black person to be wary and cautious of a white cop. Ill give you that, but when you bring it to the next level thats THEIR FAULT not the cop that has to do his job.

Cops dont have the luxury to say Oh I cant take that call its black people

Safety
07-11-2016, 09:32 AM
You got it right just backwards, if you intentionally set out to piss someone off, what do you expect. The problem is that blacks get NASTY and sarcastic and thats just to start whenever they are approached for anything. I find it ironic that when a cop in accordance with his duty stops a black person and they get nasty belligerent and refuse to comply and a physical incident ensues. People blame the PAST instead of the person that caused that incident.

Its natural for any black person to be wary and cautious of a white cop. Ill give you that, but when you bring it to the next level thats THEIR FAULT not the cop that has to do his job.

Cops dont have the luxury to say Oh I cant take that call its black people

Every race...EVERYfreakingRACE get's belligerent with cops when they get stopped, yet the onus is on blacks to be above the fray? What you are saying is, "black people, stop questioning cops when you get stopped, or be prepared to be shot", yet we have a member here who videoed his interaction with the police, he was belligerent, he didn't comply, and he is still around, so where is his onus to "act right"?

Standing Wolf
07-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Use of force has much to do with the fear and anxiety that individual cops bring to the job. Too many cops have become physical cowards, in that they lead with a drawn service weapon at all times and demand instant compliance and total physical control of all situations, regardless of the circumstances. I'm quite sure that some cops would, if they could manage to make it happen, like to have every civilian at the scene of any police incident lie facedown on the ground while the "investigation" is going on. Caution is one thing, but they've been allowed to take it too far, and people of all colors are dying unnecessarily as a result.

FindersKeepers
07-11-2016, 12:13 PM

I don't think so -- and the study, which was conducted by a black professor who was angry over the Michael Brown shooting, does not feel there is a parallel. His findings show just the opposite, in fact.

As he said -- the results of the study were the biggest surprise of his life.

That said -- we should still focus on racial police brutality, and police brutality across the board.

But, the bottom line is that there is no evidence that officers use any type of racial bias in suspect shootings. It just doesn't happen.

What's more important is WHY the media has chosen to hype a false narrative, which has ended up dividing us as a nation and increased the death toll for all.

It's like when some members here get mad over "baiting" and then when they get punished for taking it to the next level, they complain about bias...B

Baiting is baiting. I've noticed it, and I've noticed much worse, but it doesn't change the results of studies like this one.

FindersKeepers
07-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Use of force has much to do with the fear and anxiety that individual cops bring to the job. Too many cops have become physical cowards, in that they lead with a drawn service weapon at all times and demand instant compliance and total physical control of all situations, regardless of the circumstances. I'm quite sure that some cops would, if they could manage to make it happen, like to have every civilian at the scene of any police incident lie facedown on the ground while the "investigation" is going on. Caution is one thing, but they've been allowed to take it too far, and people of all colors are dying unnecessarily as a result.

Some of that, I think, can be attributed to "too many movies," but I think lack of good vetting practices also contributes. Most officers are decent, but there are too many who see their sidearm as an extension of their penis, unfortunately. That badge gives them a sense of power over we mere mortals.

Standing Wolf
07-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Some of that, I think, can be attributed to "too many movies," but I think lack of good vetting practices also contributes. Most officers are decent, but there are too many who see their sidearm as an extension of their penis, unfortunately. That badge gives them a sense of power over we mere mortals.

It's something that is surprisingly easy to let happen. When I was a Navy cop in Hawaii, I never let the badge go to my head as far as abusing or looking down on anyone, but I had a couple of partners tell me that I seemed to think I was invulnerable out there in the field, and I'm sure that the badge was what caused that to happen. One in particular, I remember telling me that when the s**t hit the fan, he never had to wonder where I was - I was going to be right in the middle of it, smiling. I got into my share of scuffles, but never had to draw my weapon or even use my Mace. The closest I ever came to having to beat somebody down was when a drunk Australian sailor came up off the hood of the car he was passed out on and went to hit my female partner, and I showed him my 6-cel Maglite and convinced him that he was going to lose that one.