PDA

View Full Version : Even Jimmy Carter dislikes Hillary Clinton

Randy71
07-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Even former President Jimmy Carter dislikes Hillary Clinton. These were his exact words: "The novelty of electing the first woman President of America should not outweigh our duty of electing an honest and ethical President".

Common
07-12-2016, 11:28 AM
heh, thats surprising, but then Howard Dean said just about the same thing

Cigar
07-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Oh well that does it, I'm changing my Vote.

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 12:10 PM
If I was a candidate and Jimmy Carter was critical of me I'd welcome that. I'd remind everyone that he is perhaps the second most ineffective and incompetent president in US history. But a close second.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 12:15 PM
If I was a candidate and Jimmy Carter was critical of me I'd welcome that. I'd remind everyone that he is perhaps the second most ineffective and incompetent president in US history. But a close second.

Jimmy Carter is probably one of the most unfairly maligned Presidents in history, second only to James Buchanan.

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Jimmy Carter is probably one of the most unfairly maligned Presidents in history, second only to James Buchanan.

He is remembered fairly as a failed president.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 12:43 PM

Largely unfairly. Jimmy Carter was the President, not the God of America. He only had so much control over what happened during his Presidency. And most of the economic stagnation and inflation can be attributed to the policies of Presidents who preceded him, like LBJ and Nixon.

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Largely unfairly. Jimmy Carter was the President, not the God of America. He only had so much control over what happened during his Presidency. And most of the economic stagnation and inflation can be attributed to the policies of Presidents who preceded him, like LBJ and Nixon.

He was a failure. Period.

Cigar
07-12-2016, 12:56 PM

Not by the Educated

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 12:58 PM
He was a failure. Period.

Why?

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Not by the Educated

Especially by the educated.

nic34
07-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Why?

He's a dem and a tree hugger that's why!

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:05 PM
He's a dem and a tree hugger that's why!

Ironically enough, Jimmy Carter was actually a pretty market-friendly President. He deregulated the gas industry and he abolished Nixon's disastrous wage and price controls.

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Why?

Look at the condition he left the country in, from the economy to our national security. His creation of the department of energy alone was a clear demonstration of his cluelessness. Everything which was was struggling when he took office was in worse condition when he left.

He was a disaster. Personally he was a good man. An honest man. So at least he had that going for him.

The Obama administration has made him a happy man again.

maineman
07-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Ironically enough, Jimmy Carter was actually a pretty market-friendly President. He deregulated the gas industry and he abolished Nixon's disastrous wage and price controls.

I agree. I feel that most of Carter's problems were beyond his control. He is blamed for the Iranian capture of our embassy, and he is blamed for the failed rescue attempt. I will admit to being very angry with him at the time for not treating the embassy take over as an act of war and flattening Tehran in response, but, in looking back at his presidency, I cannot point to actions he took that were harmful to our country. Conversely, I can look to the invasion of Iraq and believe deep in my heart that it was so bad for our country that it negates any good that Bush Jr. might otherwise be remembered for.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Look at the condition he left the country in, from the economy to our national security. His creation of the department of energy alone was a clear demonstration of his cluelessness. Everything which was was struggling when he took office was in worse condition when he left.

He was a disaster. Personally he was a good man. An honest man. So at least he had that going for him.

The Department of Energy mostly consolidated preexisting government agencies. But I agree it wasn't a great piece of legislation. Still, how did that make him a failed President? The stagflation had almost nothing to do with Carter. It was the result of years of spending and monetary easement during the LBJ and Nixon administrations. Carter can hardly be blamed for that.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:15 PM
I will admit to being very angry with him at the time for not treating the embassy take over as an act of war and flattening Tehran in response...

Thank God Carter did not do that. One more reason why he should be commended.

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 01:19 PM
I heard someone once call Jimmy Carter a "process president". He wasn't so concerned with the substance of his policy ideas as he was with the process. He thought if the process was good, the product would be good in spite of the substance. He was not up to the job.

He was not respected by our NATO allies as he let the Soviet Union bully him. He led perhaps one of the worst degradations of our military.

His tax policies strangled the economy. Unemployment, inflation and interest rates were out of control. He took a moderately bad situation and created a disaster.

maineman
07-12-2016, 01:19 PM

I agree... I was a saber rattling Lieutenant when it happened.... and I had been an east coast sailor who'd missed the Vietnam war and was itching to get some war on.

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 01:21 PM

He let a pissant like Iran make the US look weak and impotent.

AZ Jim
07-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Even former President Jimmy Carter dislikes Hillary Clinton. These were his exact words: "The novelty of electing the first woman President of America should not outweigh our duty of electing an honest and ethical President".No link, no story here sonny...move along...

nic34
07-12-2016, 01:22 PM

I don't think he went far enough. He should have created a department of alternative energy.

Truth Detector
07-12-2016, 01:23 PM

:rofl: Yep, Iran was a great example of statesmanship. :rofl:

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:24 PM
I heard someone once call Jimmy Carter a "process president". He wasn't so concerned with the substance of his policy ideas as he was with the process. He thought if the process was good, the product would be good in spite of the substance. He was not up to the job.

He was not respected by our NATO allies as he let the Soviet Union bully him. He led perhaps one of the worst degradations of our military.

His tax policies strangled the economy. Unemployment, inflation and interest rates were out of control. He took a moderately bad situation and created a disaster.

Jimmy Carter had almost nothing to do with the high levels of inflation that marred his presidency. That was the result of years of monetary easement and reckless spending that preceded him. Carter is responsible for appointing Paul Volker to the fed and he is the one who ultimately got inflation under control by raising interest rates.

Truth Detector
07-12-2016, 01:24 PM

Nixon would have made a great liberal; Ironic that Democrats hated him so much for doing exactly what they wanted to do. ;)

Truth Detector
07-12-2016, 01:25 PM
I agree. I feel that most of Carter's problems were beyond his control. He is blamed for the Iranian capture of our embassy, and he is blamed for the failed rescue attempt. I will admit to being very angry with him at the time for not treating the embassy take over as an act of war and flattening Tehran in response, but, in looking back at his presidency, I cannot point to actions he took that were harmful to our country. Conversely, I can look to the invasion of Iraq and believe deep in my heart that it was so bad for our country that it negates any good that Bush Jr. might otherwise be remembered for.

Yep, in liberal loony land, the Iranian takeover of the US embassy was the Republicans fault. After all, Democrats controlled the White House, the House and the Senate.

Liberals have to be the dumbest, most naïve, lying hypocrites on the planet.

nathanbforrest45

I also remember a meeting he had with the President of Mexico. There they were side by side and the Mexican President was calling the United States everything but a white boy. And Carter was grinning the entire time. I don't think he agreed, he simply lacked the nerve to kick the Mexican down the airplane stairs.

Ethereal
:rofl: Yep, Iran was a great example of statesmanship. :rofl:

It really was. At a time when people were calling for him to respond with massive military force, Carter remained calm and did the right thing.

Of course, war mongers will never forgive him for that, but he did humanity a great favor by taking a restrained approach to Iranian independence.

Truth Detector
07-12-2016, 01:27 PM
I agree... I was a saber rattling Lieutenant when it happened.... and I had been an east coast sailor who'd missed the Vietnam war and was itching to get some war on.

:rofl:@ you being a saber rattling Lieutenant. Hang dude, I need to roll up my pants and get the hip waders on. :rofl:

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:27 PM

Why are people so concerned what the US "looks like"? Is this high school? Iran's revolution was inevitable and entirely justifiable and it did absolutely nothing to weaken America in a substantive way. Carter responded almost exactly as he should have.

Truth Detector
07-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Jimmy Carter had almost nothing to do with the high levels of inflation that marred his presidency. That was the result of years of monetary easement and reckless spending that preceded him. Carter is responsible for appointing Paul Volker to the fed and he is the one who ultimately got inflation under control by raising interest rates.

Yep; but he had everything to do with the subsequent economic boom during the Reagan Presidency right? :rofl:

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Nixon would have made a great liberal; Ironic that Democrats hated him so much for doing exactly what they wanted to do. ;)

It's true. Nixon was a big government progressive.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:29 PM
I also remember a meeting he had with the President of Mexico. There they were side by side and the Mexican President was calling the United States everything but a white boy. And Carter was grinning the entire time. I don't think he agreed, he simply lacked the nerve to kick the Mexican down the airplane stairs.

What difference did it make?

nathanbforrest45
07-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Why are people so concerned what the US "looks like"? Is this high school? Iran's revolution was inevitable and entirely justifiable and it did absolutely nothing to weaken America in a substantive way. Carter responded almost exactly as he should have.

Yes, by selling out the Shah of Iran, an ally of ours for years.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Yep; but he had everything to do with the subsequent economic boom during the Reagan Presidency right? :rofl:

If you understand how monetary policy works, then it's not unreasonable to credit Carter with some of the growth that happened during Reagan's Presidency.

Truth Detector
07-12-2016, 01:31 PM
It really was. At a time when people were calling for him to respond with massive military force, Carter remained calm and did the right thing.

Of course, war mongers will never forgive him for that, but he did humanity a great favor by taking a restrained approach to Iranian independence.

Yep; he remained calm and our American captives remained imprisoned for over 460 days until Reagan took the oath of office thus scaring Liberals and the Iranians shitless and getting them released. :rofl:

It was an embarrassment of epic proportions and claiming Carter did a great job is the pinnacle of incredulity.

Truth Detector
07-12-2016, 01:32 PM

This is about as naïve a statement as anyone can make; it makes a HUGE difference how America is looked at. When thought of as weak, the enemies of freedom and liberty feel emboldened much as they do now under the feckless leaderless Obama.

Ethereal
Yes, by selling out the Shah of Iran, an ally of ours for years.

The Shah was an illegitimate dictator who only came into power because British and American intelligence deposed Iran's Prime Minister in 1953. I have no idea how Americans of all people can criticize Iranians for overthrowing a monarch.

Tahuyaman
I don't think he went far enough. He should have created a department of alternative energy.

Political correctness hadn't yet reached that level.

That's was back in the days where they were predicting a new ice age by the late 80's to early 90's.

Truth Detector
07-12-2016, 01:33 PM

LMAO @ Warmongers. Yep, America is a war mongering nation in the empty heads of idiots and morons.

Truth Detector
07-12-2016, 01:34 PM
If you understand how monetary policy works, then it's not unreasonable to credit Carter with some of the growth that happened during Reagan's Presidency.

I do understand how it works; perhaps you can educate me how Carter made it work for Reagan in detail....should be fun to see what your version looks like.

Tahuyaman
It's true. Nixon was a big government progressive.

And Mr. Carter was a bigger government liberal.

Ethereal
Yep; he remained calm and our American captives remained imprisoned for over 460 days until Reagan took the oath of office thus scaring Liberals and the Iranians $#@!less and getting them released. :rofl:

It was an embarrassment of epic proportions and claiming Carter did a great job is the pinnacle of incredulity.

Oh well. Spies who are collaborating with dictators assume some measure of risk, one of which is being captured and held hostage by the people you're oppressing.

nathanbforrest45
07-12-2016, 01:35 PM
And who can forget the "Malaise" speech. That really perked us all up, that and wearing a sweater and telling the rest of us we have to learn to make do with less as a country.

He was a wonderful president and an excellent false prophet for his church.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:36 PM
This is about as naïve a statement as anyone can make; it makes a HUGE difference how America is looked at. When thought of as weak, the enemies of freedom and liberty feel emboldened much as they do now under the feckless leaderless Obama.

People can think whatever they want. It won't alter reality. America is the most powerful country on earth and that didn't change one iota while Carter was president.

maineman
As someone who wore Navy Blue from LBJ to WJC, I will say that the Navy did not suffer any more noticeable degradation under Carter than we did any other president. And the fluctuations in budget had more to do with external events than presidential competence. The end of the Vietnam war saw the decommissioning of many vessels who had been kept in service long past when they should have been mothballed simply because of the tempo the war necessitated. The end of the Cold War saw the peace dividend and the fleet was downsized again, but reasonably so, I felt.

Tahuyaman

well, when he did react and order an action to be taken, it was one of the worst military disasters of all time. You might have been better suited for leadership than him.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:38 PM
LMAO @ Warmongers. Yep, America is a war mongering nation in the empty heads of idiots and morons.

The US government has invaded and/or occupied dozens of countries who posed no threat to America during the 20th and 21st century. The US government is objectively a war-mongering institution. And many Americans are objectively war mongers. They think almost every problem can be solved with extreme violence.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:39 PM
I do understand how it works; perhaps you can educate me how Carter made it work for Reagan in detail....should be fun to see what your version looks like.

It's pretty simple.

He appointed Paul Volker to the federal reserve; Volker tightened monetary policy and brought down interest rates; that caused inflation to come down.

maineman
07-12-2016, 01:41 PM
well, when he did react and order an action to be taken, it was one of the worst military disasters of all time. You might have been better suited for leadership than him.because a helicopter had maintenance problems? How can you put that on Carter?

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:43 PM
And Mr. Carter was a bigger government liberal.

Not even remotely true. Minus interest payments and military spending, the size and scope of government increased at a far greater rate under Nixon than it did under Carter.

https://danieljmitchell.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/president-rankings-primary-spending-minus-defense.jpg

nic34
07-12-2016, 01:44 PM

That's was back in the days where they were predicting a new ice age by the late 80's to early 90's.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/GlobalCooling.JPG

The fact is that around 1970 there were 6 times as many scientists predicting a warming rather than a cooling planet.... (https://www.skepticalscience.com/ice-age-predictions-in-1970s.htm)

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:45 PM
And who can forget the "Malaise" speech. That really perked us all up, that and wearing a sweater and telling the rest of us we have to learn to make do with less as a country.

He was a wonderful president and an excellent false prophet for his church.

A speech really had a big effect on the economy and our national security, didn't it?

FindersKeepers
07-12-2016, 01:47 PM

Perhaps, but when he was running against Ford he made the mistake of saying that any President who presided over a Misery Index of 14 didn't deserve to sit in the Oval Office.

When Carter went out -- it was 19. That didn't help him at all.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:49 PM
well, when he did react and order an action to be taken, it was one of the worst military disasters of all time. You might have been better suited for leadership than him.

One of the worst military disasters of all time? You cannot be serious. Just as one basis for comparison, the allied operation at Gallipoli resulted in well over 130,000 causalities. Now that was a disaster.

nic34
07-12-2016, 01:49 PM

Nixon already did that with Vietnam.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Perhaps, but when he was running against Ford he made the mistake of saying that any President who presided over a Misery Index of 14 didn't deserve to sit in the Oval Office.

When Carter went out -- it was 19. That didn't help him at all.

He should have hired a better speech writer. A smart man would have blamed it on LBJ and Nixon's insane spending and war mongering.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 01:54 PM
I've always defended Carter, which is why I find it so funny when people accuse me of being some kind of secret Republican.

The reason why Republicans hate Carter so much is because he didn't go around bombing everyone all the time and he didn't prostrate himself before Israel. If you want Republicans to think you were a great President, then just bomb lots of stuff and lick Israel's boots. They will love you.

nathanbforrest45
07-12-2016, 01:55 PM

No body believes that was the mantra during the Carter Administration

http://www.populartechnology.net/2013/02/the-1970s-global-cooling-alarmism.html

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 02:06 PM
http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/GlobalCooling.JPG

The fact is that around 1970 there were 6 times as many scientists predicting a warming rather than a cooling planet
.... (https://www.skepticalscience.com/ice-age-predictions-in-1970s.htm)

Revisionist history.

nathanbforrest45
07-12-2016, 02:07 PM
The US government has invaded and/or occupied dozens of countries who posed no threat to America during the 20th and 21st century. The US government is objectively a war-mongering institution. And many Americans are objectively war mongers. They think almost every problem can be solved with extreme violence.

Well, in the words of Al Capone, Kind words and a gun always work much better than just kind words.

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Well, in the words of Al Capone, Kind words and a gun always work much better than just kind words.

War Is a Racket (https://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.html)

Common Sense
07-12-2016, 02:13 PM
7 pages based on a quote that isn't even real?

The Xl
07-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Why?
Because Stone Cold said so!

sachem
07-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Even former President Jimmy Carter dislikes Hillary Clinton. These were his exact words: "The novelty of electing the first woman President of America should not outweigh our duty of electing an honest and ethical President".I love Jimmy. Bad president, good guy.

And I don't deal well with those southern accents.

maineman
07-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Even former President Jimmy Carter dislikes Hillary Clinton. These were his exact words: "The novelty of electing the first woman President of America should not outweigh our duty of electing an honest and ethical President".

snopes throws up the bullshit flag on this one. No evidence that Carter ever said that.

stay classy Randy.

I'm reminded of this famous quotation:

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln

The Sage of Main Street
07-12-2016, 02:56 PM
heh, thats surprising, but then Howard Dean said just about the same thing Heir of Dean, Witter, Reynolds firm of Wall Street parasites. Like all such spoiled trash, he'd be nothing without his Daddy's Money. By the way, his sickening way of speaking is a prep school accent from the Vietnam Chickenhawk Era. That's why the Democrats finally got cold feet in nominating him.

The Sage of Main Street
07-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Largely unfairly. Jimmy Carter was the President, not the God of America. He only had so much control over what happened during his Presidency. And most of the economic stagnation and inflation can be attributed to the policies of Presidents who preceded him, like LBJ and Nixon. I think you got a toxic batch of peanut butter and it's affected your judgment. I know America did in 1976.

Oboe
07-12-2016, 03:00 PM
wrong forum.

The Sage of Main Street
07-12-2016, 03:06 PM

Of course, war mongers will never forgive him for that, but he did humanity a great favor by taking a restrained approach to Iranian independence. Reagan threatened the Muslims with massive retaliation. The Iranians and OPECkers backed down and he didn't have to fire a shot. That is the only logical conclusion about what happened behind the scenes.

The Sage of Main Street
07-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Why are people so concerned what the US "looks like"? Is this high school? Iran's revolution was inevitable and entirely justifiable and it did absolutely nothing to weaken America in a substantive way. Carter responded almost exactly as he should have. Here's why: Carter's yellow pushover response encouraged the bloodthirsty savages to commence jihad. To all Nazislamia, it was a go-sign from Allah.

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Can anyone here imagine the liberal's response if..... Oh, let's say...... George W. Bush was critical of Mrs.Clinton's suitability for office?

The Sage of Main Street
07-12-2016, 03:17 PM
The Shah was an illegitimate dictator who only came into power because British and American intelligence deposed Iran's Prime Minister in 1953. I have no idea how Americans of all people can criticize Iranians for overthrowing a monarch. The way the bloodthirsty fanatical race acted after the Shah surrendered proved that they were not fit for democracy in 1953 and would have taken advantage of Mossadegh to kill him and establish a theocratic dictatorship.

Common Sense
07-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Can anyone here imagine the liberal's response if..... Oh, let's say...... George W. Bush was critical of Mrs.Clinton's suitability for office?

The quote in the OP is fabricated.

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 03:20 PM
A speech really had a big effect on the economy and our national security, didn't it?

There have been liberals who claimed that the Republicans "talked down" the economy causing harm during a Democratic administration.

http://www.justfacts.com/news.economytalkfn.asp

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 03:21 PM
The quote in the OP is fabricated.

So what? I simply stated that I would welcome a failure like Carter criticizing my ideas.

That comment got the reaction I knew it would.

texan
07-12-2016, 03:59 PM

This is the way most decent people think, if you don't think this way then you need to rethink.

maineman
07-12-2016, 04:06 PM
This is the way most decent people think, if you don't think this way then you need to rethink.

you get it that it's a made up quote....right? not even Jimmy Carter thinks that way.

maineman
07-12-2016, 04:07 PM
There have been liberals who claimed that the Republicans "talked down" the economy causing harm during a Democratic administration.

can you name any of them?

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Because Stone Cold said so!

https://media.giphy.com/media/kuLuAVBxOsQyk/giphy.gif

Ethereal
07-12-2016, 04:59 PM

http://www.justfacts.com/news.economytalkfn.asp

I don't see what that has to do with me.

Tahuyaman
07-12-2016, 05:26 PM
I don't see what that has to do with me.

I didn't say it did.

I just showed proof that Democrats have accused Republicans of "talking down" the economy for political purposes.