PDA

View Full Version : it's about time

del
07-13-2016, 05:35 PM
WASHINGTON — An unusual coalition of 13 Republicans and 12 Democrats on Wednesday announced the creation of the House Fourth Amendment Caucus to protect Americans' privacy rights against calls for increased government surveillance in the wake of terrorist attacks.
The group named itself after the Fourth Amendment because the lawmakers fear that the government is increasingly seeking the power to search Americans' electronic data without a warrant. They see that as a threat to the Constitutional amendment's protections against unreasonable searches and seizures.
"In the face of difficult circumstances, some are quick to pursue extreme, unconstitutional measures; the Fourth Amendment Caucus will be a moderating influence that gives voice to countless Americans whose rights are violated by these ill-conceived policies," said Rep. Justin Amash, R-Mich., who joined the group led by Reps. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif., and Ted Poe, R-Texas.
Privacy rights are one of the rare issues that liberals and libertarian-leaning conservatives in Congress have agreed on. Members of the new coalition oppose legislation that would force U.S. tech companies to build "backdoors" into encrypted smartphones or allow federal agents to view someone's Internet browsing history without a warrant.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/07/13/new-house-coalition-fights-rise-government-surveillance/87038428/

Ethereal
07-13-2016, 05:40 PM
Justin Amash has done a great job raising awareness of domestic surveillance programs and resisting efforts to expand them.

Glad to see there are still some politicians in DC who actually care about the Bill of Rights.

FindersKeepers
07-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Yes -- it's about time.

Common
07-13-2016, 06:10 PM
I know that this gets some folks excited. I keep telling you that as long as you have a smart phone stuck to your ear, you have no privacy.

Many people do not realize that they can track your movements for BLOCKS across a city thats how many surviellance cameras there are and not govt cameras PRIVATE surveillance cameras

Private entities are spying on you more than the govt. Just take google and facefuck

del
07-13-2016, 06:12 PM
private entities can't arrest me and throw me in jail nor are they bound by the 4th (or any other) amendment

Ethereal
07-13-2016, 06:14 PM
I know that this gets some folks excited. I keep telling you that as long as you have a smart phone stuck to your ear, you have no privacy.

Many people do not realize that they can track your movements for BLOCKS across a city thats how many surviellance cameras there are and not govt cameras PRIVATE surveillance cameras

Private entities are spying on you more than the govt. Just take google and face$#@!

Common, there is a clear and important difference between the government and private organizations.