PDA

View Full Version : tPF Social Security Advocacy Group Slams Mike Pence As He Prepares To Be Trump’s VP Pick

TrueBlue
07-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Social Security Advocacy Group Slams Mike Pence As He Prepares To Be Trump’s VP Pick
By Sean Colarossi

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/07/14/pro-social-security-group-slams-mike-pence-prepares-trumps-vp-pick.html

“Governor Pence has a long history of fighting to cut and privatize Social Security. In 2005, he was the leader of a group of House Republicans who criticized (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/feb/4/20050204-113831-7251r/)George W. Bush’s Social Security privatization plan for not being extreme enough! He supports (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/08/boehner-pence-social-security-retirement-age_n_674793.html) raising the retirement age and other cuts to Social Security benefits. This despite the fact that the nation is facing a looming retirement income crisis, which is likely to be harshest for younger Americans."

"Pence has shown his desire to dismantle Social Security brick by brick, or even faster. He insultingly calls our Social Security system an “entitlement” rather than the earned benefit that it is. This attitude towards Social Security, the people’s pension, fits in perfectly with Donald Trump’s outrageous claim (https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/trump-on-social-security-in-his-2000-book-a-ponzi-scheme-we) that Social Security is an illegal Ponzi Scheme. This name calling is an insult to every worker and Social Security beneficiary. It is an insult to all of us."

"Poll (https://www.nasi.org/sites/default/files/research/Americans_Make_Hard_Choices_on_Social_Security.pdf ) after poll (http://www.people-press.org/2016/03/31/campaign-exposes-fissures-over-issues-values-and-how-life-has-changed-in-the-u-s/) shows that voters — regardless of age, race, gender, ethnicity, or political party — support expanding, not cutting, Social Security. The reported Trump-Pence ticket is radically out of step with the American people.”

======================================
Thanks to Politicususa for this report.

Imho, Pence's stance is a real danger to those who deserve to receive and are now receiving Social Security! The American People Have GOT To Wake Up To See How Dangerous Electing Republicans Is To Their Own Welfare!

The sooner they get to know this and understand it the sooner they will make the right choice and vote for Hillary Clinton who has vowed to protect and augment Social Security.

The forum rules will be strictly observed by participants in this thread or non-conforming members will be thread banned.

If You Don't Like What Is Being Discussed In the OP You Can Always Do the Courteous Thing and Just Leave the Thread.

Common
07-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Its true pence doesnt like social security, has stated he would like it abolished and has made statements pretty much in line with the article.

AZ Jim
07-15-2016, 05:36 PM
As if I needed more reasons to vote for Hillary.

Ethereal
07-15-2016, 06:15 PM
They're angry at Pence because he wants to raise the retirement age and because he accurately describes Social Security as an entitlement program? They sound like some pretty serious intellectuals.

Peter1469
07-15-2016, 06:17 PM
Privatize SS and get rich. Rather than be poor.

Ethereal
07-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Anytime a person makes even the most modest suggestion of how to reform Social Security, Democrats like True Blue fly off the rails and traffic in hyperbole about how said person wants "dismantle" Social Security.

It's pretty clear that Democrats have no real intention of seriously addressing ANY of the financial problems that the US government is facing.

They will just do what they do on the state and local level: Tax and spend the country into oblivion and demonize anyone who tries to stop them.

If Democrats like True Blue had their way, the entire country would look like Detroit.

Peter1469
07-15-2016, 06:21 PM
That is because SS is about control. Not wealth.

exotix
07-17-2016, 09:27 PM
http://i65.tinypic.com/20grgk.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2110wfp.jpg

gamewell45
07-17-2016, 10:28 PM
Privatize SS and get rich. Rather than be poor.

The only people who'll get rich are the clearing houses.

JDubya
07-17-2016, 10:32 PM
One more thing Hillary's campaign needs to hammer on relentlessly.

People don't want their Social Security messed with.

Privatizing it and investing it in the stock market is nothing more than gambling with people's futures. I've never heard anything in any of these privatization proposals that would guarantee retirees incomes should the markets crash.

Subdermal
07-17-2016, 10:52 PM

Privatizing it and investing it in the stock market is nothing more than gambling with people's futures. I've never heard anything in any of these privatization proposals that would guarantee retirees incomes should the markets crash.

That's because you aren't really paying attention to the possible options available in a privatization plan. There are various levels and types of investments, including guaranteed return vehicles that are not tied to the performance of the stock market at all.

But you don't care about that at all. You just want the .002 percent return on the fund, which is guaranteed to lose and go bankrupt eventually.

AZ Jim
07-17-2016, 11:18 PM
We not only have Pence to deal with but also Ryan both dedicated to the destruction of Social Security. PS SS IS an entitlement program, we paid into the plan and are entitled to reap the meager benefit of it. Ever notice it's these jerks who have been feeding at the government trough on money that came from the very people who they now try to screw don't need the money but are trying to take it away from those who do?

zelmo1234
07-18-2016, 02:27 AM

So both Pence and Hillary voted for the Iraq war, Good to know

FindersKeepers
07-18-2016, 04:18 AM
The sooner they get to know this and understand it the sooner they will make the right choice and vote for Hillary Clinton who has vowed to protect and augment Social Security.

The reason so many politicians are talking about changing SS is because it's not fiscally stable.

The way it's set up right now -- it's going to eventually fail as the retirees drawing benefits grows and the number of workers paying in shrinks.

zelmo1234
07-18-2016, 08:04 AM

What is really amazing is people complain about income inequality, and about the wealth gap. And where do the wealth keep their money? The Stock Market

Clearly if it was a volatile as the left pretends it to be, all of the rich people would be broke. But it is the best investment for building wealth.

These would be managed funds, and of course worst case would more the double the performance or SS.

However, and this is what the left HATES, You would have control over your account, and that savings would be passed on to your family not the government.

Truth Detector
07-18-2016, 08:04 AM
Social Security Advocacy Group Slams Mike Pence As He Prepares To Be Trump’s VP Pick
By Sean Colarossi

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/07/14/pro-social-security-group-slams-mike-pence-prepares-trumps-vp-pick.html

Imho, Pence's stance is a real danger to those who deserve to receive and are now receiving Social Security! The American People Have GOT To Wake Up To See How Dangerous Electing Republicans Is To Their Own Welfare!

The forum rules will be strictly observed by participants in this thread or non-conforming members will be thread banned.

If You Don't Like What Is Being Discussed In the OP You Can Always Do the Courteous Thing and Just Leave the Thread.

As if I needed more reasons to vote for Hillary.

:rofl:

zelmo1234
07-18-2016, 08:05 AM
We not only have Pence to deal with but also Ryan both dedicated to the destruction of Social Security. PS SS IS an entitlement program, we paid into the plan and are entitled to reap the meager benefit of it. Ever notice it's these jerks who have been feeding at the government trough on money that came from the very people who they now try to screw don't need the money but are trying to take it away from those who do?

You said all that anyone needs to hear, when you said the Meager Benifits

Truth Detector
07-18-2016, 08:06 AM

Apparently Liberals and Bernie don't care that Hillary did too. DUH!

Truth Detector
07-18-2016, 08:07 AM

FALSE; they aren't dedicated to destroying SS, but turning it into a REAL retirement program instead of the Government deficit funding Ponzi scheme that it is.

Truth Detector
07-18-2016, 08:12 AM
Social Security is the biggest government scam to ever be shoved down the American citizens throat. Only willful idiots can believe that we need to save this scam or that it can even be fixed.

Here is a program that forcefully takes money out of your pocket; is used to buy US debt; is not yours to keep after death, but rather than go to your heirs, goes back to the Government; and the interest on the debt that they purchase with your SS dollars is charged back to you, the American tax paying sheeple.

If any company set up a savings plan like this, their CEO would be marched off to Federal prison on fraud charges.

You have to be a simple minded, uneducated dullard to think that SS is a good idea and that it is actually better than a private investment. You also have to think that the American sheeple are too stupid to provide for themselves; given the state of our Liberal educational establishment, this may be becoming a reality as we graduate more idiots like the leftists on this forum.

zelmo1234
07-18-2016, 08:15 AM
So here is the thing that Workers need to know.

They have a choice between 2 plans.

#1 You will have options to invest your money in a managed fund. During your lifetime you will be able to take out loans of up to 10% of your balance and pay it back, paying yourself interest that you would normally pay a bank.

This plan will be your money, though you will not be able to start taking that money until age 60? Whatever. This plan will allow most normal workers to retire with over a Million dollars in savings providing everyone with an upper middle class income.

When you die, or if you die before you reach retirement age, the money can be passed on to the people or persons of your choice.

Last this fund will be managed for you, and while you will have choices, those will become more and more secure as you get old.

OR

You can have a plan that will take that same 6.5% of your income and will not invest it. The government will use the money. If you live to be very old, you might actually use more than you put in.

You will retire in dire poverty at the very best.

If you happen to die before you can begin to draw your SS at age 62 and you have NO children at home the government will keep your investment. And your family gets nothing

And when you die other than survivor benefits which are still poverty payments, the government will keep the balance leaving your family NOTHING.

Now if you were a young worker, which plan would you choose

Adelaide
07-18-2016, 08:17 AM
It seems like Social Security is poorly run and inefficient.

At any rate, it seems like every election since I can remember has had some kind of renovation planned for Social Security. I don't really find it that scary to hear more of the same. I think that Trump/Pence will probably change their stance over the next few months to appeal to voters, though.

Professor Peabody
07-18-2016, 07:28 PM
Social Security Advocacy Group Slams Mike Pence As He Prepares To Be Trump’s VP Pick By Sean Colarossi http://www.politicususa.com/2016/07/14/pro-social-security-group-slams-mike-pence-prepares-trumps-vp-pick.html ====================================== Thanks to Politicususa for this report. Imho, Pence's stance is a real danger to those who deserve to receive and are now receiving Social Security! The American People Have GOT To Wake Up To See How Dangerous Electing Republicans Is To Their Own Welfare! The sooner they get to know this and understand it the sooner they will make the right choice and vote for Hillary Clinton who has vowed to protect and augment Social Security. The forum rules will be strictly observed by participants in this thread or non-conforming members will be thread banned. If You Don't Like What Is Being Discussed In the OP You Can Always Do the Courteous Thing and Just Leave the Thread. Politicus is a left wing kook blog, anyone would have to be dumb as a bag of hammers to believe anything they put on the internet............

Newpublius
07-18-2016, 07:31 PM
By Sean Colarossi

let's have a pension system where we take 12% plus of your income (employer + employee share) and let's invest that exclusively in government bonds which are used to finance every miserable le government program instead of income generating assets.

Wonder where your retirement went? Look no further than the Gerald Ford, psst.......I don't think they are in the habit of giving away free cruises.

Tahuyaman
07-18-2016, 07:37 PM
If some are truly advocates for the sustainment of Social Security, they should support the reforms needed to ensure its survival. If it is not reformed, it will die.

Tahuyaman
07-18-2016, 07:41 PM
It seems like Social Security is poorly run and inefficient.

At any rate, it seems like every election since I can remember has had some kind of renovation planned for Social Security. I don't really find it that scary to hear more of the same. I think that Trump/Pence will probably change their stance over the next few months to appeal to voters, though.

No one has the guts to stand firm and reform Social Security. Every time any changes are proposed designed to guarantee its survival, those changes are represented as attempts to eliminate it.

TrueBlue
07-18-2016, 09:58 PM
Anytime a person makes even the most modest suggestion of how to reform Social Security, Democrats like True Blue fly off the rails and traffic in hyperbole about how said person wants "dismantle" Social Security.

It's pretty clear that Democrats have no real intention of seriously addressing ANY of the financial problems that the US government is facing.

They will just do what they do on the state and local level: Tax and spend the country into oblivion and demonize anyone who tries to stop them.

If Democrats like True Blue had their way, the entire country would look like Detroit.
No. Anytime a Democrat makes the correct posting and comment on Social Security, rabid right-wingers jump to the occasion to provide crazy suggestions that would not help Social Security one iota but in effect, put people in worse shape financially. That, fortunately, will never happen because a majority of Americans know the Republican plan just will not work and therefore, will not allow it to control their lives.

gamewell45
07-18-2016, 10:07 PM
So here is the thing that Workers need to know.

They have a choice between 2 plans.

#1 You will have options to invest your money in a managed fund. During your lifetime you will be able to take out loans of up to 10% of your balance and pay it back, paying yourself interest that you would normally pay a bank.

This plan will be your money, though you will not be able to start taking that money until age 60? Whatever. This plan will allow most normal workers to retire with over a Million dollars in savings providing everyone with an upper middle class income.

When you die, or if you die before you reach retirement age, the money can be passed on to the people or persons of your choice.

Last this fund will be managed for you, and while you will have choices, those will become more and more secure as you get old.

OR

You can have a plan that will take that same 6.5% of your income and will not invest it. The government will use the money. If you live to be very old, you might actually use more than you put in.

You will retire in dire poverty at the very best.

If you happen to die before you can begin to draw your SS at age 62 and you have NO children at home the government will keep your investment. And your family gets nothing

And when you die other than survivor benefits which are still poverty payments, the government will keep the balance leaving your family NOTHING.

Now if you were a young worker, which plan would you choose

If bad investment choices are made and the managed funds tank, your investment will be lost. I'll stick with plan B. I'll take my chances collecting my SS as is today, combined with my pension(s) and 401.k plan.

birddog
07-18-2016, 10:10 PM

Most Republicans voted for the war, and so did the majority of dimocrats including Hillary. I happened to somewhat agree with Trump about the war, but it's understandable that Pence voted like most.

JDubya
07-18-2016, 10:38 PM
That's because you aren't really paying attention to the possible options available in a privatization plan. There are various levels and types of investments, including guaranteed return vehicles that are not tied to the performance of the stock market at all.

But you don't care about that at all. You just want the .002 percent return on the fund, which is guaranteed to lose and go bankrupt eventually.

All of those "plans" are mere proposals that look better on paper than what they'd likely end up being.

Any number of unforeseeable things that could go wrong.

Senior citizens want security and the govt provides that.

TrueBlue
07-18-2016, 10:38 PM
You are so Spot-On! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/fool/appl.gif http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/fool/appl.gifhttp://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good2.gif

JDubya
07-18-2016, 10:40 PM
Most Republicans voted for the war, and so did the majority of dimocrats including Hillary. I happened to somewhat agree with Trump about the war, but it's understandable that Pence voted like most.

So Trump just gave up one of the things he could use to bash Hillary with.

Cool.

TrueBlue
07-18-2016, 11:39 PM
The reason so many politicians are talking about changing SS is because it's not fiscally stable.

The way it's set up right now -- it's going to eventually fail as the retirees drawing benefits grows and the number of workers paying in shrinks.
Actually no. You ought to read what the economists who know this matter well and have studied it for a long period of time have to say. This great archive is quite lengthy but chocked full of important information about Social Security, Medicare, etc. by economists that is well worth the reading.

Category Archive for: Social Security
Mark Thoma (http://www.uoregon.edu/~mthoma/)
Department of Economics (http://www.uoregon.edu/~econ/)
University of Oregon (http://www.uoregon.edu/)

http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/social_security/

"Second, if you consider the three-legged retirement security stool — savings, pensions and Social Security — for many less well-off aging people, the latter is in the best financial shape of all..., contrary to critics’ false claims, it ain’t exactly going broke."

"And while most Americans love Social Security, the wealthy don’t. ... By a very wide margin, ordinary Americans want to see Social Security expanded. But by an even wider margin, Americans in the top 1 percent want to see it cut. And guess whose preferences are prevailing among Republican candidates."

TrueBlue
07-18-2016, 11:45 PM
FALSE; they aren't dedicated to destroying SS, but turning it into a REAL retirement program instead of the Government deficit funding Ponzi scheme that it is.
You're wrong. You need to read and study this carefully!

TrueBlue
07-18-2016, 11:52 PM
Social Security is the biggest government scam to ever be shoved down the American citizens throat. Only willful idiots can believe that we need to save this scam or that it can even be fixed.

Here is a program that forcefully takes money out of your pocket; is used to buy US debt; is not yours to keep after death, but rather than go to your heirs, goes back to the Government; and the interest on the debt that they purchase with your SS dollars is charged back to you, the American tax paying sheeple.

If any company set up a savings plan like this, their CEO would be marched off to Federal prison on fraud charges.

You have to be a simple minded, uneducated dullard to think that SS is a good idea and that it is actually better than a private investment. You also have to think that the American sheeple are too stupid to provide for themselves; given the state of our Liberal educational establishment, this may be becoming a reality as we graduate more idiots like the leftists on this forum.
Wrong again! You simply have no idea what you are talking about. You need to leave it to the professional economists to speak to this issue intelligently.

"To have a social security system that falls apart when you most need it, when there are large disasters affecting entire regions or economies, is not optimal. Personal accounts would not have withstood the stock market crash associated with the Great Depression. Why do we want to implement a social support system that fails when it is needed the most? I don’t think any of us believes we should leave it to individuals to bear the full cost of the disaster caused by Hurricane Katrina, i.e. that government should not be involved at all. We all know that government has a role to play in this disaster, the cry from all sides is that the government is doing too little, not that it is doing too much. Things may not be perfect with government involved, and there is certainly room for improvement, but things would be even worse if government did not get involved at all. And just as the government has an essential role to play in this disaster, it will also have an essential role to play when the next big shock, whether it’s financial, natural, or human induced, hits us in the future. Social insurance systems aren’t just for the next few years, they must survive as long as the country does. Social insurance must survive the big shocks, and for that to happen the government must, in the end, provide the insurance."

TrueBlue
07-18-2016, 11:56 PM
Politicus is a left wing kook blog, anyone would have to be dumb as a bag of hammers to believe anything they put on the internet............
For your information, economists certainly appear to be supporting their findings in many ways.

FindersKeepers
07-19-2016, 04:06 AM
Actually no. You ought to read what the economists who know this matter well and have studied it for a long period of time have to say. This great archive is quite lengthy but chocked full of important information about Social Security, Medicare, etc. by economists that is well worth the reading.
[/URL]

You're better off skipping opinion pieces and looking right at the CBO number predictions.

Under current law, CBO projects, Social Security’s trust funds, considered together, will be exhausted in 2029. In that case, benefits in 2030 would need to be reduced by 29 percent from the scheduled amounts.

You can read the entire document here:

[url]https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/114th-congress-2015-2016/reports/51047-SSUpdate-2.pdf (http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/social_security/)

No one seriously questions whether SS will fail...we know it will.

The question is what should we do with it.

Can you imagine what SS recipients will face when their payments are reduced by nearly a third in 2030? That's only 14 years away. At the same time, we have entry-level workers demanding $15 an hour for flipping burgers, which, if passed, will increase the cost of living making that tiny SS payment worth even less.

SS was a poorly thought out program from the get-go and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

These are the problems brought to us by the Democratic Party and they're not going away. We can't bury our heads in the sand and pretend they don't exist.

Subdermal
07-19-2016, 07:03 AM
If bad investment choices are made and the managed funds tank, your investment will be lost. I'll stick with plan B. I'll take my chances collecting my SS as is today, combined with my pension(s) and 401.k plan.

Complete horsecrap. SS is already raided; the money is an illusion. You're just far too stupid to understand that the only way SS remains funded - and gives you your meager monthly pittance - is by printing the money to pay it out.

In light of that:

1. What would stop the FedGov from printing money again to cover the shortfall if this asinine Chicken Litttle claim of yours had merit?

2. What would stop a private offering for fiscal imbeciles such as yourself from investing in the exact same Government vehicle that presently carries the SS Trust Fund?

I'll take your failure to answer these questions as proof that you're 100% ignorant on this, dependent class.

Subdermal
07-19-2016, 07:04 AM
All of those "plans" are mere proposals that look better on paper than what they'd likely end up being.

Any number of unforeseeable things that could go wrong.

Senior citizens want security and the govt provides that.

I have little tolerance for fiscal imbeciles like yourself. Read the post above and answer it.

Subdermal
07-19-2016, 07:05 AM
You are so Spot-On! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/fool/appl.gif http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/fool/appl.gifhttp://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good2.gif

You answer the questions I posed two posts ago. I'll take your refusal to answer - or your TB - as proof of your lack of integrity on this and pretty much ever other political matter. You're an empty shill.

Subdermal
07-19-2016, 07:14 AM
The ignorance from the usual suspects on this topic is enraging. You are the clowns which muck this country up in every possible way.

1. Money from the private sector which funds the Government (which says it puts it in SSI - a lie, if you'd be honest for one moment of your lives and admit it) can easily be redirected into a private investment array keyed to the age of the investor. The older you are, the lower the percentage of your accumulated gains can be put in aggressive investment options.

2. You, as a frightened leftist lamb, can put 100% of your SS contributions and retirement savings 100% in a municipal bond or money market fund if you want.

It would be safer there than where it is at present.

The rest of the money, meanwhile, would provide a stabilizing influx of funds into the Stock Market, ensuring fiscal liquidity in a manner similar to what was required when Obama continued QE to prevent a collapse.

So tell us again what you're whining about?

JDubya
07-19-2016, 08:20 AM
Such an angry little man ^.

Chris
07-19-2016, 08:21 AM
Complete horsecrap. SS is already raided; the money is an illusion. You're just far too stupid to understand that the only way SS remains funded - and gives you your meager monthly pittance - is by printing the money to pay it out.

In light of that:

1. What would stop the FedGov from printing money again to cover the shortfall if this asinine Chicken Litttle claim of yours had merit?

2. What would stop a private offering for fiscal imbeciles such as yourself from investing in the exact same Government vehicle that presently carries the SS Trust Fund?

I'll take your failure to answer these questions as proof that you're 100% ignorant on this, dependent class.

I have little tolerance for fiscal imbeciles like yourself. Read the post above and answer it.

Please tone down the insults.

Subdermal
07-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Such an angry little man ^.

6'-4"; 220. Not little by any stretch.

But please do attempt a rebuttal. Seems as though you don't have one.

JDubya
07-19-2016, 09:43 AM
6'-4"; 220. Not little by any stretch.

But please do attempt a rebuttal. Seems as though you don't have one.

Why would I waste my time arguing with your right-wing talking points?

There are pro and con arguments (http://socialsecurity.procon.org/#Background) available for anyone who wants to seek them out without having to get mired in a shit flinging contest with some angry sore head who treats the opinions he agrees with as fact and who's too insecure to handle being disagreed with.

So if you're looking to spend half the day fighting with someone over a subject you don't know as much about as you pretend to, do so with yourself.

Little fella.

Subdermal
07-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Why would I waste my time arguing with your right-wing talking points?

There are pro and con arguments (http://socialsecurity.procon.org/#Background) available for anyone who wants to seek them out without having to get mired in a $#@! flinging contest with some angry sore head who treats the opinions he agrees with as fact and who's too insecure to handle being disagreed with.

Where did you disagree? You haven't argued.

By your own admission!

:biglaugh:

So if you're looking to spend half the day fighting with someone over a subject you don't know as much about as you pretend to, do so with yourself.

Oh? Where am I wrong about what I stated, lefty?

Little fella.

You must be fat, eh? :biglaugh:

Tahuyaman
07-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Still, I would think that if one is an advocate for Social Security, one should also be an advocate for the reforms needed to guarantee its survival. Right?