PDA

View Full Version : The writer of Melania Trumps speech is a Registered Democrat

Common
07-20-2016, 08:47 PM
Seems shes worked for him for a long time

Donald Trump staff writer Meredith McIver who apologized for Melania’s plagiarism scandal is a registered Democrat
Staff writer Meredith McIver may work for the GOP presidential nominee — but she votes for Democrats.
McIver, 65, the speechwriter who claims she inadvertently caused Melania Trump’s plagiarism during the Republican National Convention, is a longtime staff writer for the Trump organization who lives on the Upper West Side and is a registered Dem.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-staff-writer-meredith-mciver-registered-democrat-article-1.2718891

Subdermal
07-20-2016, 10:45 PM
Another Democrat plagiarist.

Captain Obvious
07-20-2016, 11:24 PM
lawl

The resident progro-hacks are mysteriously silent so far.

Mac-7
07-21-2016, 01:09 AM
Only 65?

Captain Obvious would hit that.

silvereyes
07-21-2016, 01:56 AM
I still dont get why she did it. Did she really think that no one would notice? It was just so dumb.

Mac-7
07-21-2016, 02:54 AM
I still dont get why she did it. Did she really think that no one would notice? It was just so dumb.

I have been wondering the same thing.

FindersKeepers
07-21-2016, 04:53 AM

This is what I think, too.

She's been in the business a long time -- too long to make that type of mistake.

Peter1469
07-21-2016, 04:54 AM
It was dumb and embarrassing. But it certainly didn't warrant the attention given it by the press.

Oboe
07-21-2016, 05:16 AM
What I wonder is why anyone cares? Obama did it, Biden did it, Mrs. Obama did it, I'm sure a slew of republicans have. Who cares if they borrowed a little bit of speeches over the years?

Mac-7
07-21-2016, 06:47 AM
But it certainly didn't warrant the attention given it by the press.

it does warrent the attention if you selected the easiest major they had and boozed your way through college

And obtw, if you're a campaign worker for hillary clinton disguised as a journalist

Subdermal
07-21-2016, 06:53 AM

She's a Democrat.

Subdermal
07-21-2016, 06:55 AM
This is what I think, too.

She's been in the business a long time -- too long to make that type of mistake.

No one is considering the possibility that she's trying to help Dems? She's 65. Her time is closing regardless.

No one?

I certainly am. This sounds like it was intentionally done, because the alternative is to consider her absolutely incompetent.

Naturally, this isn't 'gross negligence'. That level of incompetence cannot be grasped by Dems.

:biglaugh:

exotix
07-21-2016, 06:56 AM
Trump is a Dem ... LOL

exotix
07-21-2016, 07:23 AM
lawl

The resident progro-hacks are mysteriously silent so far.You don't even get it ... you just got bamboozled by Trump and don't even know it ... LOL

exotix
07-21-2016, 07:29 AM
What I wonder is why anyone cares? Obama did it, Biden did it, Mrs. Obama did it, I'm sure a slew of republicans have. Who cares if they borrowed a little bit of speeches over the years?
Raw meat (R) savages have dismal, desperate, empty lives ... these are scraps thrown at 'em to give them meaning ... LOL

Green Arrow
07-21-2016, 07:39 AM
So Hillary is too incompetent to handle emails and Donald Trump is too incompetent to check his campaign's speeches before they are read.

Incompetence to my left, incompetence to my right.

Mac-7
07-21-2016, 07:42 AM
So Hillary is too incompetent to handle emails and Donald Trump is too incompetent to check his campaign's speeches before they are read.

And shear lunacy on your part to think the two are equivalent.

zelmo1234
07-21-2016, 07:45 AM

She is a democrat, like she did it to cause this controversy. And of course now that we know she is a Democrat, it will all die down and become nothing to see.

Subdermal
07-21-2016, 07:47 AM

Nonsense. Even the pundits were discussing what Cruz' speech was going to contain - before he spoke. What Cruz said and did was no surprise to Trump, or anyone else. Allowing Cruz to speak was a demonstration of inclusivity and transparency.

zelmo1234
07-21-2016, 07:48 AM

Let me ask you, before all this came out? Would you have remembered Mrs. Obama's Speech and been able to catch it???

And the reaction was very quick, so I am guessing the speech writer had tipped off the DNC to what was coming.

Now that she has been outed, it will all be swept under the rug.

FindersKeepers
07-21-2016, 07:54 AM
No one is considering the possibility that she's trying to help Dems? She's 65. Her time is closing regardless.

No one?

I certainly am. This sounds like it was intentionally done, because the alternative is to consider her absolutely incompetent.

Naturally, this isn't 'gross negligence'. That level of incompetence cannot be grasped by Dems.

:biglaugh:

I wondered that -- but she's worked with the Trumps for years, ghost-writing books and composing other speeches.

She was a friend of the family.

There's just no reason for someone with her experience to do that. It takes a total of 10 seconds to run a speech through any one of dozens of online plag-checkers, which would have flagged the phrases.

It was sloppy, and I can only think that she was very pressed for time and cut corners, or that she's slipping (maybe mentally).

Of course, this is not the first time something like this has happened. Obama was caught with plagiarized speeches as well -- along with probably hundreds of other politicians. It happens.

But -- it shouldn't.

Subdermal
07-21-2016, 07:59 AM
I wondered that -- but she's worked with the Trumps for years, ghost-writing books and composing other speeches.

She was a friend of the family.

There's just no reason for someone with her experience to do that.

1. She's old.

2. She's a Democrat.

3. More than a couple of us have had experiences with friends who are Democrats suddenly realizing that you are not, and - in that moment - doing a complete 180˚ in tone, tenor and loyalty.

It takes a total of 10 seconds to run a speech through any one of dozens of online plag-checkers, which would have flagged the phrases.

That supports my view on this. It was intentional. No professional speech writer makes this mistake accidentally.

It was sloppy, and I can only think that she was very pressed for time and cut corners, or that she's slipping (maybe mentally).

Of course, this is not the first time something like this has happened. Obama was caught with plagiarized speeches as well -- along with probably hundreds of other politicians. It happens.

But -- it shouldn't.

Trump was a Democrat. He has slid away from that ideology. I see no evidence that she has, and that means a woman scorned. I am not surprised.

exotix
07-21-2016, 08:08 AM

Incompetence to my left, incompetence to my right.Oh no, that's simply the con ... (old as The Sting) ... Trump has it down, well he does once you realize you just got conned ... and this has been his brand since Day 1.

Of intrigue, watch Trump sons ... who are exposing the entire flim-flam ... they're still baby-cons (LOL) ... as the tempo of their rhetoric increases ... that's when they stick their hands in your pocket ... of course, dismal empty-life conservatives eat it up ...

Nonetheless, Daddy is proud ... LOL

FindersKeepers
07-21-2016, 08:14 AM
1. She's old.

2. She's a Democrat.

3. More than a couple of us have had experiences with friends who are Democrats suddenly realizing that you are not, and - in that moment - doing a complete 180˚ in tone, tenor and loyalty.

That's never actually happened to me -- perhaps because I live in a very red state (and even redder community), although my parents were democrats and they were always loyal to their children. I choose my friends very carefully.

That supports my view on this. It was intentional. No professional speech writer makes this mistake accidentally.

Trump was a Democrat. He has slid away from that ideology. I see no evidence that she has, and that means a woman scorned. I am not surprised.

That could very well be the case, because there is no logical excuse, given her level of experience.

At any rate, I think it's a bad idea for Trump to keep her on, seeing as her views differ so much from his.

Safety
07-21-2016, 08:21 AM
LoL, and I thought liberals were the ones who never accepted personal accountability...

maineman
07-21-2016, 08:26 AM

and even her "apology letter" did not pass the straight face test..... she claims that Melania was reading Michelle's speech to her over the phone and she was just jotting down thoughts and phrases and somehow, some of them made it into the final draft. When, in fact, fourteen EXACTLY duplicate phrases made it into the final draft in EXACTLY the same order. Trumpeteers cannot even fall on their own swords with any degree of integrity.

Adelaide
07-21-2016, 08:31 AM
I guess there are a few things to consider; if she's technically a Democrat than could she have done it on purpose? The other is whether she was picked to be the fall person on purpose. She hasn't been fired which is kind of suspect...

Subdermal
07-21-2016, 08:32 AM
That's never actually happened to me -- perhaps because I live in a very red state (and even redder community), although my parents were democrats and they were always loyal to their children. I choose my friends very carefully.

That could very well be the case, because there is no logical excuse, given her level of experience.

At any rate, I think it's a bad idea for Trump to keep her on, seeing as her views differ so much from his.

I think it is further evidence of Trump's general demeanor.

Even if he may suspect sabotage, he appears to be extremely loyal to his people. It may be the right touch in this situation, and may give that employee pause.

Sometimes, killing someone with kindness is the worst sentence.

Subdermal
07-21-2016, 08:34 AM
and even her "apology letter" did not pass the straight face test..... she claims that Melania was reading Michelle's speech to her over the phone and she was just jotting down thoughts and phrases and somehow, some of them made it into the final draft. When, in fact, fourteen EXACTLY duplicate phrases made it into the final draft in EXACTLY the same order. Trumpeteers cannot even fall on their own swords with any degree of integrity.

:loco:

WTF are you talking about? The point of that sword isn't aimed at Trump, or Trump supporters. It is aimed at a Democrat employee who was apparently implicitly trusted.

And this is a good example of what happens when you trust a Democrat.

maineman
07-21-2016, 08:34 AM
and, if Melania had actually read the Michelle speech, and was impressed enough with it to read it back to the speech writer over the phone, wouldn't SHE have seen plagiarism the minute she read the final draft of HER own speech?

maineman
07-21-2016, 08:36 AM
:loco:

WTF are you talking about? The point of that sword isn't aimed at Trump, or Trump supporters. It is aimed at a Democrat employee who was apparently implicitly trusted.

And this is a good example of what happens when you trust a Democrat.

and here I've been reading about how Donald attracts people to his campaign from all sides of the aisle... how blue collar democrats are now huge Trump supporters. Trump himself used to identify as a democrat. This woman had worked for him for many years. To suggest that she perpetrated this intentional plagiarism as a democratic MOLE in the Trump camp is laughable.

Subdermal
07-21-2016, 08:38 AM
and here I've been reading about how Donald attracts people to his campaign from all sides of the aisle... how blue collar democrats are now huge Trump supporters. Trump himself used to identify as a democrat. This woman had worked for him for many years. To suggest that she perpetrated this intentional plagiarism as a democratic MOLE in the Trump camp is laughable.

...said the Democrat.

Either way, pork chop, it is a Democrat at the center of the controversy.

maineman
07-21-2016, 08:41 AM
...said the Democrat.

Either way, pork chop, it is a Democrat at the center of the controversy.

so what? you have no evidence whatsoever that the "democrat" wrote this speech to purposely sabotage the Trump campaign. none. Trump wouldn't even fire her. Do you think that HE didn't know she was a democrat?

Subdermal
07-21-2016, 08:43 AM
so what? you have no evidence whatsoever that the "democrat" wrote this speech to purposely sabotage the Trump campaign. none.

What I wrote was speculation, dim bulb. I am not required to provide satisfactory proof to you in order to offer it.

Trump wouldn't even fire her. Do you think that HE didn't know she was a democrat?

I've already addressed this. No one cares what you do or do not like, maineman. Go back to pulling wings off flies.

maineman
07-21-2016, 09:07 AM
What I wrote was speculation, dim bulb. I am not required to provide satisfactory proof to you in order to offer it.

maybe there were emails between the speechwriter and Hillary that were among the ones deleted from the magic server? She's the right age.... I bet you'll soon find out that she and Hillary have been fast friends and lesbian lovers since their childhood days at summer camp. Those evil crafty democrats!
:rofl:

And did you ever explain how it could be that Melania read Michelle's speech, liked it so much that she RE-READ it to her democratic mole speech writer.... and then read it AGAIN when she was given the final draft... and then not notice the plagiarism herself???? THAT is what is called a dim bulb, pork chop.

JDubya
07-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Anyone who believes that phony "apology" is a CHUMP!!! :facepalm:

It's obvious as daylight at high noon that the Trump campaign needed a scapegoat to clean the stink off of Melanoma, so they paid off some career lackey with a nice, fat cash bonus and a guaranteed cushy position at TrumpCo. for as long as she wants it.

And it apparently worked, at least amongst to willing dupes of the right who are now jumping all over some meaningless detail about the person Trump paid to take the blame for his wife's debacle.

Apology my ass.

Chloe
07-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Seems shes worked for him for a long time

Donald Trump staff writer Meredith McIver who apologized for Melania’s plagiarism scandal is a registered Democrat

Staff writer Meredith McIver may work for the GOP presidential nominee — but she votes for Democrats.
McIver, 65, the speechwriter who claims she inadvertently caused Melania Trump’s plagiarism during the Republican National Convention, is a longtime staff writer for the Trump organization who lives on the Upper West Side and is a registered Dem.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-staff-writer-meredith-mciver-registered-democrat-article-1.2718891

Lol of course she is, they all are in their core, including Trump.

del
07-21-2016, 09:22 AM
i doubt she wrote the speech, and if she did trump is in violation of federal law.

Green Arrow
07-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Nonsense. Even the pundits were discussing what Cruz' speech was going to contain - before he spoke. What Cruz said and did was no surprise to Trump, or anyone else. Allowing Cruz to speak was a demonstration of inclusivity and transparency.

I was referring to Melania's speech.

Green Arrow
07-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Let me ask you, before all this came out? Would you have remembered Mrs. Obama's Speech and been able to catch it???

And the reaction was very quick, so I am guessing the speech writer had tipped off the DNC to what was coming.

Now that she has been outed, it will all be swept under the rug.

I thought something was off about it, but couldn't quite put my finger on what.

Regardless, Trump should have been better at screening every speech made.

The Xl
07-21-2016, 01:28 PM
It was dumb as fuck not to check the speech.

maineman
07-21-2016, 01:32 PM
we still don't know the true story. The apology letter that Meredith McIver wrote is ridiculous. She claims that she listened to Melania recite Michelle's speech over the phone and jotted down a few phrases that happened to make it into the final draft.

a few phrases.

14 identical phrases in identical order.

Chloe
07-21-2016, 01:33 PM
we still don't know the true story. The apology letter that Meredith McIver wrote is ridiculous. She claims that she listened to Melania recite Michelle's speech over the phone and jotted down a few phrases that happened to make it into the final draft.

a few phrases.

14 identical phrases in identical order.

again, just wait until his White House press secretary has to go out defend any of his many future mistakes. It will change daily and get more and more outrageous. After all, any press is good press to Donald Trump, even if it's terrible press and even if it's bad for America.

del
07-21-2016, 04:04 PM
so they spent the first night denying it was plagiarism, and then they conveniently found a registered dem to take the fall.

lol

are you going to climb back up on the turnip truck on your own or do you need a hand?

Safety
07-21-2016, 04:12 PM
so they spent the first night denying it was plagiarism, and then they conveniently found a registered dem to take the fall.

lol

are you going to climb back up on the turnip truck on your own or do you need a hand?

You better bring a step stool...

Common
07-23-2016, 05:46 AM

lol

Hillary sucks worse

Common
07-23-2016, 05:47 AM
You better bring a step stool...

everyone one was issued a step stool at obamas first speech

maineman
07-23-2016, 07:46 AM
everyone one was issued a step stool at obamas first speech

so.... don't you feel just a little bit foolish for spending all that time proclaiming that there was no plagiarism and that it was just common words used in common ways?

FindersKeepers
07-23-2016, 07:57 AM

lol

Chloe called it from the get-go. It was plagiarism and it was a speechwriter. Anyone even vaguely familiar with political campaigns knows candidates (or their wives) rarely write their own speeches.

I think it's odd that Trump keeps a dem writer around, but it appears she's worked for him for years, both on speeches and books, and is a long-time friend of the family.

Your insinuation that they "conveniently found a registered dem to take the fall," suggests that you think the speechwriter didn't do it.

I'd be interested in hearing your theory about how it happened.

MisterVeritis
07-23-2016, 07:58 AM
I guess there are a few things to consider; if she's technically a Democrat than could she have done it on purpose? The other is whether she was picked to be the fall person on purpose. She hasn't been fired which is kind of suspect...
The speechwriter can be let go quietly, at some later date. It is the honorable thing to do unless there is evidence that the writer intentionally sabotaged the speech. I think it was a simple mistake. The themes are very common themes.
1) Work hard for what you want
2) Your word is your bond
3) Keep your promises
4) Do what you say you are going to do
5) Treat people with respect
6) Be willing to work hard
7) Our level of accomplishment is limited only by ourselves
8) Dream big.

Safety
07-23-2016, 08:00 AM
They were caught with their pants down, had a meeting, found the first registered Democrat in the campaign, proceeded to back that bus over her.

FindersKeepers
07-23-2016, 08:00 AM
They were caught with their pants down, had a meeting, found the first registered Democrat in the campaign, proceeded to back that bus over her.

So, you don't think the speechwriter did it?

Who do you think did it then?

Dangermouse
07-23-2016, 08:01 AM
Come December, we'll see Trump look into a camera lens and claim he never stood for the Presidency. And he'll believe it.

MisterVeritis
07-23-2016, 08:01 AM
maybe there were emails between the speechwriter and Hillary that were among the ones deleted from the magic server? She's the right age.... I bet you'll soon find out that she and Hillary have been fast friends and lesbian lovers since their childhood days at summer camp. Those evil crafty democrats!

And did you ever explain how it could be that Melania read Michelle's speech, liked it so much that she RE-READ it to her democratic mole speech writer.... and then read it AGAIN when she was given the final draft... and then not notice the plagiarism herself???? THAT is what is called a dim bulb, pork chop.
English is Melania's fifth language. I wish my bulb was as dim as hers.

Safety
07-23-2016, 08:02 AM
The speechwriter can be let go quietly, at some later date. It is the honorable thing to do unless there is evidence that the writer intentionally sabotaged the speech. I think it was a simple mistake. The themes are very common themes.
1) Work hard for what you want
2) Your word is your bond
3) Keep your promises
4) Do what you say you are going to do
5) Treat people with respect
6) Be willing to work hard
7) Our level of accomplishment is limited only by ourselves
8) Dream big.

Yea, maybe in a less partisan world we can hold hands and sing kumbyya. But when you have people who call folks liars because they don't understand how quotes work, we get this...

MisterVeritis
07-23-2016, 08:04 AM
so.... don't you feel just a little bit foolish for spending all that time proclaiming that there was no plagiarism and that it was just common words used in common ways?
You grew up with the same words, the same phrases. You know you did. We all did. For some of us the words meant something. I just cannot imagine a Democrat saying those words and meaning them.

MisterVeritis
07-23-2016, 08:06 AM
Yea, maybe in a less partisan world we can hold hands and sing kumbyya. But when you have people who call folks liars because they don't understand how quotes work, we get this...
You are incompetent. We already agree.

Safety
07-23-2016, 08:08 AM
So, you don't think the speechwriter did it?

Who do you think did it then?

Where does the buck stop, the speechwriter, the person who said it was her own words, the person who didn't review the speech, the speechwriter who said the speech giver was so moved by the FLOTUS's speech that she didn't recognize it was word for word when rehearsing it.....

Safety
07-23-2016, 08:09 AM
You are incompetent. We already agree.

You know that's a compliment coming from you, right?

MisterVeritis
07-23-2016, 08:10 AM
Where does the buck stop, the speechwriter, the person who said it was her own words, the person who didn't review the speech, the speechwriter who said the speech giver was so moved by the FLOTUS's speech that she didn't recognize it was word for word when rehearsing it.....
Ultimately, the fault lies with Melania.

It is not a big deal. We are losing the nation to Marxists, socialists, and plunderers. People on your team, Safety. Those are big deals.

Safety
07-23-2016, 08:11 AM
Ultimately, the fault lies with Melania.

It is not a big deal. We are losing the nation to Marxists, socialists, and plunderers. People on your team, Safety. Those are big deals.

Go team go?

MisterVeritis
07-23-2016, 08:11 AM
You know that's a compliment coming from you, right?
Incompetence combined with a touch of dishonesty? I can see how those would be complements to a leftist. Cool. Consider them resume enhancers.

Safety
07-23-2016, 08:14 AM
Incompetence combined with a touch of dishonesty? I can see how those would be complements to a leftist. Cool. Consider them resume enhancers.

What's a resume?

MisterVeritis
07-23-2016, 08:16 AM
What's a resume?
Well, there you go.

Safety
07-23-2016, 08:20 AM
Well, there you go.

:grin:

maineman
07-23-2016, 08:37 AM
You grew up with the same words, the same phrases.

and if I had copied fourteen of those phrases, and put them in exactly the same order, I'd be a plagiarist... just like Melania is. ;)

Peter1469
07-23-2016, 08:40 AM
If the dems think that this scandal equals a Hillary level scandal.... :shocked:

maineman
07-23-2016, 08:48 AM
If the dems think that this scandal equals a Hillary level scandal.... :shocked:

I just think it was hilarious to watch the Trump campaign - and the stooges on here - deny deny deny that there was ANY plagiarism of ANY kind... until they meekly admitted what we all knew to be true from the beginning. And now, of course, they really don't want to talk about it at all. It's so....last week!

Tahuyaman
07-23-2016, 09:37 AM
It was dumb and embarrassing. But it certainly didn't warrant the attention given it by the press.

Its going to get better. Just watch what the media chooses to ignore and what they choose to publicize over the next three months. It's going to be a hoot.

Tahuyaman
07-23-2016, 09:39 AM
What's a resume?

Would be less confused if he just corrected that to resumé?

Safety
07-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Would be less confused if he just corrected that to resumé?

I'm playing the role he placed me in.

Tahuyaman
07-23-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm playing the role he placed me in.

I could do a lot with that one.

FindersKeepers
07-23-2016, 11:25 AM

I understand the partisan need to attack the opposing party -- but, unless you think someone other than the speechwriter did it -- then that's where the blame lies.

Ms Trump probably had some input, but the onus lies with the writer. It's unlikely that more than three people, at the most, were privy to the written speech, although Ms Trump might have read it aloud for her husband, children or a friend, just to prepare.

Unless the phrases stand out in some way -- it's unlikely an untrained ear would pick them up. The phrases that were plagiarized weren't uncommon, so, unless you'd memorized the First Lady's speech, you would likely miss them -- even if you'd listened to the speech to get ideas.

Had the plagiarizing been something distinct or unforgettable, such as, "As First Lady, I will build a huge orphanage by the Rose Garden and fill it with Romanian children," everyone who heard the original speech would think -- hey, I heard that before.

But, it wasn't. It was candidate/politician/Miss America talk -- so most listeners missed it -- until a bright little listener perked up and ran it through a plag-checker.

I don't think the Trump campaign should have immediately denied it out-of-hand, but I'm sure it took them by surprise.

At the end of the day, however, plagiarism is always the fault of the writer.

maineman
07-23-2016, 11:54 AM
I understand the partisan need to attack the opposing party -- but, unless you think someone other than the speechwriter did it -- then that's where the blame lies.

Ms Trump probably had some input, but the onus lies with the writer. It's unlikely that more than three people, at the most, were privy to the written speech, although Ms Trump might have read it aloud for her husband, children or a friend, just to prepare.

Unless the phrases stand out in some way -- it's unlikely an untrained ear would pick them up. The phrases that were plagiarized weren't uncommon, so, unless you'd memorized the First Lady's speech, you would likely miss them -- even if you'd listened to the speech to get ideas.

Had the plagiarizing been something distinct or unforgettable, such as, "As First Lady, I will build a huge orphanage by the Rose Garden and fill it with Romanian children," everyone who heard the original speech would think -- hey, I heard that before.

But, it wasn't. It was candidate/politician/Miss America talk -- so most listeners missed it -- until a bright little listener perked up and ran it through a plag-checker.

I don't think the Trump campaign should have immediately denied it out-of-hand, but I'm sure it took them by surprise.

the only part that seems a bit iffy in all that is the story that Melania read that part of the Michelle speech to McIver and told her that those thoughts impressed her. You'd think she would have been able to immediately detect the plagiarism when she got the final version in that case.

FindersKeepers
07-23-2016, 12:00 PM
the only part that seems a bit iffy in all that is the story that Melania read that part of the Michelle speech to McIver and told her that those thoughts impressed her. You'd think she would have been able to immediately detect the plagiarism when she got the final version in that case.

I would agree if that was the only speech Ms Trump read to get an idea of what she liked. But, I'd bet she read dozens and selected her favorite parts from each. And, being that English is a second language for Ms Trump, that would make it more difficult.

Who knows? Maybe other things in that speech are plagiarized from someone else? Maybe we've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

It's the writer's job to know because it's the writer who puts the words on paper. It's hard to say why the writer would do that -- it was sloppy, but perhaps she was rushed? Perhaps something else was on her mind?

maineman
07-23-2016, 12:02 PM
I would agree if that was the only speech Ms Trump read to get an idea of what she liked. But, I'd bet she read dozens and selected her favorite parts from each. And, being that English is a second language for Ms Trump, that would make it more difficult.

Who knows? Maybe other things in that speech are plagiarized from someone else? Maybe we've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

It's the writer's job to know because it's the writer who puts the words on paper. It's hard to say why the writer would do that -- it was sloppy, but perhaps she was rushed? Perhaps something else was on her mind?

good point.

Safety
07-23-2016, 12:03 PM

Yea, partisanship is the only reason a speech given by a person, which comprised of a part copied word for word from another speech given eight years ago, is defended as "common words".

Its also partisan for someone to ignore a person who says they wrote the majority of a speech, then to have someone else take the actual blame for it, and not raise an eyebrow as to "which is it, did you write it and its your words, or did you not write it and were just reading what someone handed to you".

It's also partisan to initially deflect from the issue by saying Obama copied from the governor of Massachusetts, so yea...partisanship abounds.

FindersKeepers
07-24-2016, 04:52 AM
Yea, partisanship is the only reason a speech given by a person, which comprised of a part copied word for word from another speech given eight years ago, is defended as "common words".

Its also partisan for someone to ignore a person who says they wrote the majority of a speech, then to have someone else take the actual blame for it, and not raise an eyebrow as to "which is it, did you write it and its your words, or did you not write it and were just reading what someone handed to you".

It's also partisan to initially deflect from the issue by saying Obama copied from the governor of Massachusetts, so yea...partisanship abounds.

This rambling post is not an answer.

It's your way of deflecting from my question, but you're not really saying anything.

It's common for a speaker to take credit for a speech they did not write. Obama doesn't write his speeches, yet we accept that the words are his. Do you know why? Because he works with his speechwriter to make sure his thoughts and points are included in the speech. The speech SHOULD reflect his sentiments, but if he gives the speechwriter a copy of an FDR speech with parts highlighted, the speechwriter must be able to paraphrase those sentiments in a way that does read like a copy of FDR's speech.

It's really that simple.

Ms Trump should be able to hand parts of many, many speeches to her speechwriter and tell her she wants to convey the same message. The onus is then on the speechwriter to craft a speech that relays the sentiment without reading like a copy/paste.

Somehow, you're not understanding the vital "ownership" connection between the speechwriter and the speaker. The speech is a work-for-hire and the speaker is the paying client. Speechwriters are classified as "ghost writers," they don't take credit for their work. They do not get a byline for the speech. They are paid and that's that. The speechwriter is responsible for making sure the work is up to par. Ms Trump is well within her rights to say the words are hers -- she paid for them.

Do you understand that concept? Like Obama takes credit for his books, he paid the writers. He therefore OWNS the writing. He can legally claim it's his.

I don't know why so many misunderstand this simple concept. Granted, I work with this stuff on a daily basis, but I didn't think it was that complex of a topic. Chloe got it right off the bat.

Or, are folks willingly sticking their heads in the sand because they can't give up the attack? :wink: