PDA

View Full Version : Kaine accepted clothes, vacation as gifts

Professor Peabody
07-24-2016, 04:09 AM
Kaine accepted clothes, vacation as gifts

The former Virginia governor's $160,000 in disclosures could be a political liability for Clinton's leading VP pick.

By Isaac Arnsdorf | 06/30/16 05:21 AM EDT

Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine took advantage of the state’s lax gift laws to receive an $18,000 Caribbean vacation, $5,500 in clothes and a trip to watch George Mason University play in the NCAA basketball Final Four during his years as lieutenant governor and governor, according to disclosures he filed.

Now a leading contender to be Hillary Clinton’s running mate, Kaine reported more than $160,000 in gifts from 2001 to 2009, mostly for travel to and from political events and conferences, according to disclosures compiled by the Virginia Public Access Project. The givers included political supporters, a drug company that soon after bought a facility in Virginia, and Dominion, the state’s biggest provider of electricity.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/tim-kaine-virginia-veep-mcdonnell-clinton-224888

Dominion?

Dominion

This article is part of the Coal Issues (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Portal:Coal_Issues) portal on SourceWatch, a project of CoalSwarm and the Center for Media and Democracy. See here for help on adding material to CoalSwarm.

Learn more about the threat drilling for methane gas poses to fresh water.

Type Methane gas drilling, oil and coal
Founded 1909
Headquarters Richmond, VA
Number of locations Clarksburg, WV
Revenue $15.2 billion

Dominion is a giant in energy production. The Richmond, Virginia-based company focuses on electricity, coal and gas, and most recently, nuclear. It is involved in the controversial practice of fracking for methane gas in the Northeastern U.S. in the Marcellus Shale region.Dominion is also one of the biggest producers of coal in the U.S., with the majority of mines located in West Virginia. (More information about its coal production can be found below at the Dominion Coal Production section on this page.) Though lauded as an environmentally-friendly alternative to coal, fracking for gas has been linked to depleting drinking water resources of local communities and polluting the wells of the people living around drill sites. According to a 2010 article in Vanity Fair, "as use of the technique (fracking) has spread, it has been followed by incidents of water contamination and environmental degradation, and even devastating health problems." [1] And according to data released to the EPA, Halliburton, a major supplier of fracking fluid, admitted using 807,000 gallons of diesel-based chemicals in its fluids, in violation of an agreement drillers had with the EPA.[2]

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Dominion

So, "one of the biggest producers of coal in the U.S." was giving gifts to Hillary's brand new Vice President choice?

Dominion won’t explain ties to anti-clean energy “bill mill” ALEC
May 7, 2014 by Ivy Main

Dominion Resources, the parent of Dominion Virginia Power, held its shareholder meeting today in Cleveland, Ohio. Unhappy Dominion shareholders have introduced many resolutions over the years seeking to reform aspects of the company’s business practices, from buying mountaintop-removal-mined coal to exposing investors to risks from climate disruption. Although Dominion routinely challenges the resolutions, seeking to keep them off the ballot, this year half a dozen resolutions made it through the legal obstacle course to be voted on.

https://powerforthepeopleva.com/2014/05/07/dominion-wont-explain-ties-to-anti-clean-energy-bill-mill-alec/

Let me get this straight Dominion is "one of the biggest producers of coal in the U.S."....was not only giving gifts to Tim Kaine, but they had ties to ALEC fighting clean energy bills too? Talk about establishment Democrats. Hillary's cozy and profitable relationship with Wall St and foreign governments and her choice of Vice President is getting gifts from drug companies and Dominion ("one of the biggest producers of coal in the U.S."). I wonder what Bernie supporters will think about that. Frankly, I can't see how ANY Bernie Sanders supporters could vote for Hillary in the first place. But add in Tim Kaine's relationship with a drug company and Dominion, it's a no brainer for Bernie Sanders supporters to vote Johnson or Stein in November.

stjames1_53
07-24-2016, 07:50 AM
but but but, Trump is bully ......................
I wonder what the left will lie about concerning Pence.
As far as disenfranchised Sander's voters, some might gravitate to Trump............not may, but some will. These scandals about Hildebeast just keep ramping up.

Oboe
07-24-2016, 07:55 AM
With each day comes a new scandal, and each scandal drives more voters to Trump.

donttread
07-24-2016, 08:03 AM
Federal office seekers should need to meet a clear, known federal standard of non-corruption in order to be eligible. You can't just rely on the law because these bastards write those laws.
Up until 2012 congressmen could "Legally" committ insider training. If it wasn't for Kirsten Gillibrand they'd still be doing so. In fact in at at least one case I believe a federal official charged admission to a meeting containing important imformation affecting stock values, essentially SELLING insider trading information.
When this came to light and we did not summarlily fire them all at the next opportunity we proved how brainwashed we really are , and that the donkephant faithful are capable of being led to accept pretty much anything.

Peter1469
07-24-2016, 08:05 AM
McDonnell got convicted for that stuff. SCOTUS overturned it. To Kaine's credit he asked the judge to take it easy on McDonnell.

donttread
07-24-2016, 08:08 AM
When certain people are institutionally granted exception from the law, serfdom is on it's way

Peter1469
07-24-2016, 08:26 AM
When certain people are institutionally granted exception from the law, serfdom is on it's way

It is called a banana republic.

Rule of law is what allows markets to thrive and people to prosper.

Clinton and Kaine represent the breakdown of rule of law in the US.

Bo-4
07-24-2016, 08:37 AM
I'm not at all thrilled with the Kaine pick, but at least he reported them unlike SpongeBob ProbePants McDonnell ...

Who walked nonetheless.

Virginia really needs to fix that shix.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/ee6c7d07d68b9a9d868de8532cf4da1db6852114/c=4-0-1920-1440&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2014/07/31/1406843924000-1073114mcdonnell-ferrari.jpg

Subdermal
07-24-2016, 08:39 AM
https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/scooby.jpg

zelmo1234
07-24-2016, 08:42 AM
So why is accepting Gift by one, something that you are not excited about. But the other guy that took gifts? He is a Schmuck?

I don't understand??

Peter1469
07-24-2016, 09:21 AM
I'm not at all thrilled with the Kaine pick, but at least he reported them unlike SpongeBob ProbePants McDonnell ...

Who walked nonetheless.

Virginia really needs to fix that shix.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/ee6c7d07d68b9a9d868de8532cf4da1db6852114/c=4-0-1920-1440&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2014/07/31/1406843924000-1073114mcdonnell-ferrari.jpg

They have passed some sort of ethics laws. I haven't looked into them.

donttread
07-24-2016, 09:56 AM
It is called a banana republic.

Rule of law is what allows markets to thrive and people to prosper.

Clinton and Kaine represent the breakdown of rule of law in the US.

"Markets fuel the upward transfer of wealth. If you disagree look at the upward transfer of wealth in America since "everyman" was all but forced into the "market" in the form of 401 K's , by the "control code".
Manufacturing and local goods and services create real prosperity, markets create manipulatable prosperity for those on top. The sudden and dramatic changes in market values driven based upon nothing but hyper emotion and herd behavior would of long ago caused us to stop using them as a major indicator of a societites fiscal health, had it not been that that same over hyped volitility made an incredable vechicle for the upward transafer of wealth.

Adelaide
07-24-2016, 09:58 AM
I don't know what the laws/policies are regarding his position and accepting gifts, but if he openly disclosed the information it must not be in violation of anything.

Peter1469
07-24-2016, 10:00 AM
"Markets fuel the upward transfer of wealth. If you disagree look at the upward transfer of wealth in America since "everyman" was all but forced into the "market" in the form of 401 K's , by the "control code".
Manufacturing and local goods and services create real prosperity, markets create manipulatable prosperity for those on top. The sudden and dramatic changes in market values driven based upon nothing but hyper emotion and herd behavior would of long ago caused us to stop using them as a major indicator of a societites fiscal health, had it not been that that same over hyped volitility made an incredable vechicle for the upward transafer of wealth.

You're full of it. Markets build wealth.

You job gives you income. It doesn't build wealth.

Bo-4
07-24-2016, 10:03 AM
They have passed some sort of ethics laws. I haven't looked into them.

LONG overdue - in any other state McDonnell would be using soap on a rope. :)

Peter1469
07-24-2016, 10:04 AM
LONG overdue - in any other state McDonnell would be using soap on a rope. :)

One would think that if clear laws were in place he would have opted out.

He got ethics opinions from the AG at the time saying his gifts did not violate VA law.

Bo-4
07-24-2016, 10:05 AM
So why is accepting Gift by one, something that you are not excited about. But the other guy that took gifts? He is a Schmuck?

I don't understand??

Kaine reported his gifts - McDonnell didn't

Is that so hard? (btw - they're both kinda Schmucky ;-)

donttread
07-24-2016, 10:42 AM
You're full of it. Markets build wealth.

You job gives you income. It doesn't build wealth.

Are you suggesting that the real value of a multi national corporation going up and down 5% within a week and the 1%ers cashing in on it is natural? The creation of wealth is a falsehood except to the 1%ers. Wealth , real wealth , is utlimately based upon assests, goods and services and liabilities, not as you suggest whether Wall Street becomes more relaxed today because N Korea missed a missel test. Wealth is also finite , the bottom line is 7 billion people producing goods and services for 7 billion people, not some barely legal game where investors get richer by betting against a company.
As the stock market has exploded the super rich have gained near royalty status while SOL grows more slowly for the rest of us. You may see youself as a master of such markets and you may even be so to some degree , but that doesn't make them real wealth.
When the shit hits the fan a side of beef will be worth more than a stack of stocks and bonds

Tahuyaman
07-24-2016, 11:00 AM

Dominion?

So, "one of the biggest producers of coal in the U.S." was giving gifts to Hillary's brand new Vice President choice?

Let me get this straight Dominion is "one of the biggest producers of coal in the U.S."....was not only giving gifts to Tim Kaine, but they had ties to ALEC fighting clean energy bills too? Talk about establishment Democrats. Hillary's cozy and profitable relationship with Wall St and foreign governments and her choice of Vice President is getting gifts from drug companies and Dominion ("one of the biggest producers of coal in the U.S."). I wonder what Bernie supporters will think about that. Frankly, I can't see how ANY Bernie Sanders supporters could vote for Hillary in the first place. But add in Tim Kaine's relationship with a drug company and Dominion, it's a no brainer for Bernie Sanders supporters to vote Johnson or Stein in November.

When end you run for a national office, you better be able to survive the anal exam that goes with it. Of course, the depth of that exam and following investigation depends on whether there's a D or R after their name.

Tahuyaman
07-24-2016, 11:02 AM

Dominion?

When you run for a national office, you better be able to survive the anal exam that goes with it. Of course, the depth of that exam and following investigation depends on whether there's a D or R after their name.

Professor Peabody
07-24-2016, 02:01 PM
With each day comes a new scandal, and each scandal drives more voters to Trump.

There was a CNN article that was titled Hillary Clinton pushes renewable energy with focus on solar (http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/26/politics/clinton-climate-change-renewable-energy/)

The headline should read Hillary Clinton pushes renewable energy with focus on solar....while her VP pick had received gifts from "one of the biggest producers of coal in the U.S."

exotix
07-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Kaine accepted clothes, vacation as giftsNone of it illegal.