PDA

View Full Version : tPF What could possibly go wrong?

OGIS
07-28-2016, 01:12 AM
OK, this is turning out to actually be a tough decision. My recent research, and the apparent inclusion of Sanders as a member of the team, now has me swinging back in the Hillery direction. It is a touch choice, since I actually loath both of the candidates.

I have to choose which candidate is in my best personal economic interest.

I have to decide which candidate is least likely to start WWIII.

I have to figure out which candidate will have the worst pushback from the defeated side, and what that pushback might consist of.

It's almost a Prisoner's Dilemma scenario. And I'd like some different views on that. So here's what I'd like to see in this thread: regardless of which candidate you support, and in terms of theoretical/likely accomplishments or disasters for the next four years, what is:
- the BEST case scenario for YOUR candidate (i.e.: your version of Utopia)
- the WORST case scenario for YOUR candidate (i.e.: OMG OMG screwups!)
- the BEST case scenario for THEIR candidate (i.e.: OMG pleasant surprise)
- the WORST case scenario for THEIR candidate (i.e.: TOLD YA! TOLD YA!)

- and if a war is connected with any of the above: size? where? and against whom?

Trolls who rant against "stupid liberals" and "stupid conservatives" and all personal attacks directed against any other member will be ruthlessly TBed. There is NO reason to even MENTION another member. And I'm not looking for nit-picking on someone else's scenarios, either.

Just state your best and worst SPECIFIC case for both candidates, and this can be an interesting and informative thread.

Cthulhu
07-28-2016, 01:41 AM
OK, this is turning out to actually be a tough decision. My recent research, and the apparent inclusion of Sanders as a member of the team, now has me swinging back in the Hillery direction. It is a touch choice, since I actually loath both of the candidates.

I have to figure out which candidate will have the worst pushback from the defeated side, and what that pushback might consist of.

It's almost a Prisoner's Dilemma scenario. And I'd like some different views on that. So here's what I'd like to see in this thread: regardless of which candidate you support, and in terms of theoretical/likely accomplishments or disasters for the next four years, what is:

- and if a war is connected with any of the above: size? where? and against whom?

Trolls who rant against "stupid liberals" and "stupid conservatives" and all personal attacks directed against any other member will be ruthlessly TBed. There is NO reason to even MENTION another member. And I'm not looking for nit-picking on someone else's scenarios, either.

Just state your best and worst SPECIFIC case for both candidates, and this can be an interesting and informative thread.

Best Case Scenario?

Gary Johnson/Weld make to office, and let the sun set on unconstitutional laws. The bulk of gov departments being disbanded and government workers actually looking for a productive job. In other news, big games hunters will have found a unicorn. We stop playing world cop, and stop playing social justice warrior and let the markets decide on the bulk of decisions. Embrace this novel idea of 'rule of law' and actually follow it. Titles of nobility via statute are stripped from government workers.

Income tax becomes a smoking ruin via amendment, social security is phased out. Federal reserve is left a smoking ruin by letting angry mobs do with it as they please - see berlin wall.

Worst Case Scenario:

They make it to office, but the senate and congress are deadlocked against them in a morbid display of bipartisanship. They can't agree on anything except saving the government they both blame each other for creating by making the president largely ineffective.

Best Case Scenario for Their bubba:

Hillary is elected and begins the purge of whatever shreds of american decency is left. Civil unrest begins to take, and she can take her rightful place as a pawn in the bilderberg scheme. The american populace surrenders what vestiges of rights they possess so they can have the illusion of security and free-dumb. North American Union established, EU being rescued from freedom, free-dumb re-established in europe. African Union begins taking shape, as well as Asian Union. Global Governance begins to take shape by simply giving much more sovereignty to UN.

Worst Case scenario for their bubba:

Much the same as the best case, but instead the people resist, violently - but intelligently. Not mindlessly looting and burning things down, but hunting down those responsible and holding populist trials and eradicating them, and the institutions that watched them grow.

Bethere
07-28-2016, 02:38 AM
Nice posts:

1. Best. Mine.

Hillary wins and we win the senate, too. We would get to actually staff the executive branch and make a broad variety of appointments. The government would become much more efficient because it would actually be managed from a strategic point of view, rather than subordinates tenaciously trying to just get through the day.

The Supreme Court would shift stopping the federalist society's rewriting of the Constitution. Liberals don't want to rewrite the constitution. We believe in stare decisis.

This would result in new hearings of some crazy rulings like citizens united.

We would be able to force an end to the sequester which saps our military preparedness among many other adverse effects.

We can fix Obamacare, which we all know needs tweaks. We'd listen if putting the issue on the table wouldn't kill the program as it would now.

Bill Clinton fixed social security etc. in the 90s by getting everyone together and hashing out a deal. The solutions are pretty easy. When we sit down together we can do on this just as the Clintons--with a gop congress, lmao--did before.

There are so many things that we need to do that most of us agree on--filling pot holes, better schools, keeping people on terrorist watch list from getting guns, infrastructure upkeep--you get the drill.

Hillary isn't going to be intimidated, or freak out at the shear scope/scale of the job. She is battle tested.

Odds: 50%.

2. Worst. Mine.

Hillary wins but loses the senate.

Remember that she is absolutely the most vetted, attacked, probed, and experienced person who may have ever lived. She's up to the job if there is no senate.

If she doesn't get the senate then those supreme court spots won't get filled. But I personally think that is cool, because I really liked what happened this supreme court term.

The things above wouldn't happen for the most part. It would be a lot like the last 4 years--but never underestimate Hillary Clinton. She is going to get some things done.

There will be no adjustment period. She and her equally experienced crew will hit the ground running.

She could fix social security in exchange for some judicial nominations?

Who can say?

Of course, the markets and the economy always do better under democratic presidnts.

Odds: 30%

3. Best. Theirs.

Trump wins but loses the senate.

Look at the trump campaign. Look at the Republican convention. 6 bankruptcies? Was this the work of a great manager?

It would take more than pixie dust to transform him into a good manager.

And he doesn't have a thick enough skin to survive what Hillary has been subjected to. I don't know how I would react in her place for the last 30 years.

How about you? How do you think trump would handle it?

The odds are good that trump would melt down, and yet it is probable that he could pick either the Republican house or the democratic senate to get things done.

Of the 2, it is more likely that he would hang with the senate because the Senate has more bargaining chips with all of the judges and appointments.

No one know what would happen in this particular scenario. But it could be catestrophically bad.

Of course, the markets and the economy always do better under democratic presidnts.

Odds: 15%.

4. Worst. Theirs.

In this scenario, trump wins both the presidency and the senate.

My take?

The sun implodes, we hang on the event horizon of its black hole for a few moments, and then we are ionized into a cloud of quarks and leptons.

Bogus.

The gop house, the trump administration, and trump himself are incredibly inexperienced. The gop senate is better, but without democratic help--you need 60 votes--they aren't going to get anything done either.

Congress aimed to do nothing, except: they really wanted to pass their bills to stack on obammy's desk to veto. And who knows, huh? They were going to shove some down his throat.

But they were too unorganized, and lazy, to get it done.
Obama vetoed a couple of bills, and none got overriden,

Not one.

So in this scenario you'd be left with trump there alone to decide and execute.

You'd wish you had Obammy back.

Did you notice that they are so tired and so overworked that they are currently on a 7 week break?

The party that would completely ignore a presidential supreme court nominee is capable of anything. If they weren't dysfunctional they would embrace the nuclear option and easily pass and sign their entire platform.

Is this the man you'd entrust with everything?

Did you see today's press conference ? The meek katy tur got subdermal with him so bad that he asked Russia to get involved with our elections and, presumably, to hack servers.

Have you ever read the logan act?

If trump can't handle Katy Tur, what would Putin, or Kim Jung Il, or Xi Xinping do?

Of course he couldn't handle Hallie Jackson, or Megan Kelly..

Odds: 5%

Ethereal
07-28-2016, 03:34 AM

Forgive me for not abiding by your stated format, but I'm just going to throw some general stuff out there for you to chew.

Hillary Clinton is far and away the favorite to start WWIII.

Simply put, the biggest threat of WWIII is between the USA and Russia. Clinton is the standard of aggression and belligerence towards Russia, whereas Trump is on more or less respectful terms with Russia. So unless someone thinks being belligerent, aggressive, and provocative towards Russia will make WWIII less likely to occur, it seems pretty clear that Trump is far, far less likely to start WWIII than Clinton.

As for who will have the biggest pushback, I also believe that will be Clinton because of her radical position on the second amendment. She won't even answer directly if the second amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms. She favors an "assault weapons" ban and she thinks gun manufactures should be held liable for what people do with their products. Regardless of where you fall personally on the second amendment, there is no question that a political fight over it is likely to result in extreme push-back from many Americans.

Ethereal
07-28-2016, 03:38 AM
...keeping people on terrorist watch list from getting guns...

Most people agree that we need to violate the second and fifth amendments? Who knew?

Peter1469
07-28-2016, 04:38 AM
Best case: divided government. One party with the executive, the other with at least the Senate.

The less government can do, the less harm it will do.

Common
07-28-2016, 04:50 AM
Everyone this election is put in the position of having to vote for the lesser of the evil.
Im voting for trump and the number 1 reason is the mexican border and immigration.

The second reason is the huge trade deficit, that not one of the other candidates even talk about. Trump is the only one that spoke about corporate america outsourcing our prosperity.

stjames1_53
07-28-2016, 05:02 AM
Most people agree that we need to violate the second and fifth amendments? Who knew?

....and the 1st and 4th.
If they can turn against the 2nd A and strip that Right away, there's no other Right that would even stand a chance. The 2nd A protects the rest of our Rights. It is the most heavily protected Right. If that is taken, the rest don't mean squat.
You cannot protect the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th without the 2nd.
Some would argue that the 2nd A doesn't protect much, but it does. It is the final solution to tyranny

Bethere
07-28-2016, 05:19 AM
Best case: divided government. One party with the executive, the other with at least the Senate.

You might actually get that.

My odds: 45%.

Mac-7
07-28-2016, 05:35 AM
OGIS:

like the man said, if you gotta ask you ain't never gonna know.

hanger4
07-28-2016, 05:56 AM
Nice posts:

1. Best. Mine.

Hillary wins and we win the senate, too. We would get to actually staff the executive branch and make a broad variety of appointments. The government would become much more efficient because it would actually be managed from a strategic point of view, rather than subordinates tenaciously trying to just get through the day.

The Supreme Court would shift stopping the federalist society's rewriting of the Constitution. Liberals don't want to rewrite the constitution. We believe in stare decisis.

This would result in new hearings of some crazy rulings like citizens united.

We would be able to force an end to the sequester which saps our military preparedness among many other adverse effects.

We can fix Obamacare, which we all know needs tweaks. We'd listen if putting the issue on the table wouldn't kill the program as it would now.

Bill Clinton fixed social security etc. in the 90s by getting everyone together and hashing out a deal. The solutions are pretty easy. When we sit down together we can do on this just as the Clintons--with a gop congress, lmao--did before.

There are so many things that we need to do that most of us agree on--filling pot holes, better schools, keeping people on terrorist watch list from getting guns, infrastructure upkeep--you get the drill.

Hillary isn't going to be intimidated, or freak out at the shear scope/scale of the job. She is battle tested.

Odds: 50%.

2. Worst. Mine.

Hillary wins but loses the senate.

Remember that she is absolutely the most vetted, attacked, probed, and experienced person who may have ever lived. She's up to the job if there is no senate.

If she doesn't get the senate then those supreme court spots won't get filled. But I personally think that is cool, because I really liked what happened this supreme court term.

The things above wouldn't happen for the most part. It would be a lot like the last 4 years--but never underestimate Hillary Clinton. She is going to get some things done.

There will be no adjustment period. She and her equally experienced crew will hit the ground running.

She could fix social security in exchange for some judicial nominations?

Who can say?

Odds: 30%

3. Best. Theirs.

Trump wins but loses the senate.

Look at the trump campaign. Look at the Republican convention. 6 bankruptcies? Was this the work of a great manager?

It would take more than pixie dust to transform him into a good manager.

And he doesn't have a thick enough skin to survive what Hillary has been subjected to. I don't know how I would react in her place for the last 30 years.

How about you? How do you think trump would handle it?

The odds are good that trump would melt down, and yet it is probable that he could pick either the Republican house or the democratic senate to get things done.

Of the 2, it is more likely that he would hang with the senate because the Senate has more bargaining chips with all of the judges and appointments.

No one know what would happen in this particular scenario. But it could be catestrophically bad.

Odds: 15%.

4. Worst. Theirs.

In this scenario, trump wins both the presidency and the senate.

My take?

The sun implodes, we hang on the event horizon of its black hole for a few moments, and then we are ionized into a cloud of quarks and leptons.

Bogus.

The gop house, the trump administration, and trump himself are incredibly inexperienced. The gop senate is better, but without democratic help--you need 60 votes--they aren't going to get anything done either.

Congress aimed to do nothing, except: they really wanted to pass their bills to stack on obammy's desk to veto. And who knows, huh? They were going to shove some down his throat.

But they were too unorganized, and lazy, to get it done.
Obama vetoed a couple of bills, and none got overriden,

Not one.

So in this scenario you'd be left with trump there alone to decide and execute.

You'd wish you had Obammy back.

Did you notice that they are so tired and so overworked that they are currently on a 7 week break?

The party that would completely ignore a presidential supreme court nominee is capable of anything. If they weren't dysfunctional they would embrace the nuclear option and easily pass and sign their entire platform.

Is this the man you'd entrust with everything?

Did you see today's press conference ? The meek katy tur got subdermal with him so bad that he asked Russia to get involved with our elections and, presumably, to hack servers.

Have you ever read the logan act?

If trump can't handle Katy Tur, what would Putin, or Kim Jung Il, or Xi Xinping do?

Of course he couldn't handle Hallie Jackson, or Megan Kelly..

Odds: 5%

A good read ......... Till I got to these parts;

"Did you see today's press conference ? The meek katy tur got subdermal with him so bad that he asked Russia to get involved with our elections and, presumably, to hack servers."

Totally debunked narrative.

"Have you ever read the logan act?"

The Logan Act is irrelevant and doesn't apply.

hanger4
07-28-2016, 06:09 AM
By a good read?

And the Tur reference was to her being able to make trump say questionable stuff because she has the audacity to ask questios.

Interesting read, enjoyed you sharing your opinion. Nothing sinister.

Mac-7
07-28-2016, 06:19 AM
The trouble with tur in that press conference was the way she asked a question and then interrupted trump while he was giving his answer.

she was being argumentative and trump boxed her ears

zelmo1234
07-28-2016, 06:43 AM
The question that you should have is, can you believe anything that comes out of Hillary's mouth? But for the sake of argument lets say that you can.

She will need the Senate and the House to get anything done. She has a disapproval rate of about 65%, So Opposing her will be the popular thing to do. Democrats will change the rules in the Senate as they did for Obama on Judgers so that a simple 50% will do, and it is likely that she will appoint Judges that will legislate from the bench. If those judges actually go after the 2nd, all hell is going to break loose.

With out the house, it will be more of the same. E.O's that actually try and write new laws. She will follow Through with her promise on Coal and Steel, and that will Cost a lot of good paying jobs. Like Bush, the Elder, is elected she is likely a one and done President, Her views on illegal immigration, Syrian Refugee's and Amnesty will likely result in higher unemployment, especially in the Minority communities, and What is Happening in Europe almost daily now with the terrorist attacks will be happening here.

Trump?

Remember that the GOP establishment don't like Trump either. However Trump would be a President of the Middle or centrists. Something we have not had since the Reagan Democrats gave Ronnie two massive wins. He will not likely get any sweeping ideas passed, but the boarder will have better control and at least the illegals with Criminal Records will be deported. The Military and the VA will do better under Trump, and if he has both houses, the Job and economy killing ACA will be repealed and replaces with something different, notice that I did not say better, that remains to be seen.

I notices that our friends have added 2 Bankruptcies to the Trump total, he has 4, and There is NO doubt that he is a Fantastic Manager, Anyone that thinks that running a multi Billion dollar company is just showing up is crazy.

But your Choice is much easier than you think. And here is why.

Hillary Represents nothing new. The Banks have enough hold on her, that she is not going to push for 15 dollars an hour, and the nations can't afford to pay for everyone's college.

She is More of the same. So if you like the direction of the country for the last 8 years, with the racial tension, terrorist attacks, and Sluggish Economy with no good jobs. Hillary is your vote.

Trump is a wildcard that is for sure, but if you don't like the direction of the Country, then more of the same is not going to make you happy. So Trump is your vote.

That is all you need to ask. almost 70% of the population says that the country is heading in the wrong direction.

Truth Detector
07-28-2016, 07:22 AM

I actually find it amusing that you pretend that this is tough for you and could have predicted your behavior before you even erupted with this nonsense. You will pull the lever for Hillary.

We heard the same stupidity from the left when Reagan was nominated; he was an out-of-control cowboy who was going to start WWIII.

It is ironic to watch historically challenged Liberals rant about Republicans starting wars when most of the devastating wars in modern history were begun under Democratic administrations.

Truth Detector
07-28-2016, 07:23 AM

Sometimes, this is the best scenario. However, to undo the last eight years it will take a majority.

hanger4
07-28-2016, 07:37 AM
That's interesting Bethere you seem to have deleted this post.

Originally Posted by Bethere
By a good read?

And the Tur reference was to her being able to make trump say questionable stuff because she has the audacity to ask questios.

Why ??

Chris
07-28-2016, 09:04 AM
OGIS:

like the man said, if you gotta ask you ain't never gonna know.

Mac-7 has been banned at the request of the OP, OGIS. Please do not respond to Macany further in this thread. If you have questions contact the OP of this tPF thread.

Chris
07-28-2016, 09:06 AM
A good read ......... Till I got to these parts;

"Did you see today's press conference ? The meek katy tur got subdermal with him so bad that he asked Russia to get involved with our elections and, presumably, to hack servers."

Totally debunked narrative.

"Have you ever read the logan act?"

The Logan Act is irrelevant and doesn't apply.

hanger4 has been banned at the request of the OP, OGIS. Please do not respond to hanger4 any further in this thread. If you have questions contact the OP of this tPF thread.

Chris
07-28-2016, 09:08 AM
I actually find it amusing that you pretend that this is tough for you and could have predicted your behavior before you even erupted with this nonsense. You will pull the lever for Hillary.

We heard the same stupidity from the left when Reagan was nominated; he was an out-of-control cowboy who was going to start WWIII.

It is ironic to watch historically challenged Liberals rant about Republicans starting wars when most of the devastating wars in modern history were begun under Democratic administrations.

Truth Detector has been banned at the request of the OP, OGIS. Please do not respond to Truth Detector any further in this thread. If you have questions contact the OP of this tPF thread.

maineman
07-28-2016, 09:10 AM
I honestly am fearful of the idea of Donald Trump standing next to the man with the nuclear football. I could easily imagine Trump responding to an ISIS attack on US forces in the middle east with a tactical nuclear strike.

I sincerely do not believe he has the temperament or the maturity or the wisdom to lead this complex country in this complex and dangerous world.

God help us.

OGIS
07-28-2016, 09:12 AM
Damn. How difficult is it to state four opinions on best/worst scenarios and NOT offer snide, backbiting comments on other people's opinions? Seriously. You had your chance and now you don't.

maineman
07-28-2016, 09:20 AM

Hillary wins with long coattails. She gets a democratic house and senate, and three SCOTUS picks. We get universal healthcare, comprehensive gun control, tax reform which increases the top marginal rates on the top 1%

She doesn't have significant coattails and is hectored by a recalcitrant republican congress and nothing of substance is accomplished.

Donald Trump turns out to be a secret Obama supporter who gives the finger to the GOP and nominates Barack to SCOTUS, and who works with democrats in congress to get stuff done. (A bit far fetched, I'll admit)

He starts a nuclear armageddon which destroys planet earth, which is actually the most likely of any of the scenarios.

Peter1469
07-28-2016, 03:56 PM
The trouble with tur in that press conference was the way she asked a question and then interrupted trump while he was giving his answer.

she was being argumentative and trump boxed her ears

She is a professional "journalist."

Chloe
07-28-2016, 03:57 PM
https://youtu.be/7CCg_bzSrUA

OGIS
07-28-2016, 04:38 PM

Off topic

Chloe
07-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Off topic

Yes it was, I'm sorry. I posted it as a response to Peters previous post where he was responding to Mac.

OGIS
07-28-2016, 04:41 PM

Off topic

Peter1469
07-28-2016, 04:50 PM

Notice: Chloe, thread banned by OGIS. Do not respond to the thread banned member in this thread. If you have questions contact the OP of this tPF thread.

Peter1469
07-28-2016, 04:54 PM

Notice: Peter1469, thread banned by OGIS. Do not respond to the thread banned member in this thread. If you have questions contact the OP of this tPF thread.

Private Pickle
07-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Lol!

Hal Jordan
07-28-2016, 10:54 PM
My candidate's best case: @Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872) is elected. The world ends in flame.

My candidate's worst case: @Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872) is elected. Everyone is tortured for years. The world ends in flame.

Their best case: Trump or Hillary is elected. Everyone is tortured for years. The world ends in flame.

Their worst case: Trump or Hillary is elected. The world somehow shambles on, everyone living in constant torture for the rest of their existence.

Bethere
07-28-2016, 11:29 PM
My candidate's best case: @Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872) is elected. The world ends in flame.

My candidate's worst case: @Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872) is elected. Everyone is tortured for years. The world ends in flame.

Their best case: Trump or Hillary is elected. Everyone is tortured for years. The world ends in flame.

Their worst case: Trump or Hillary is elected. The world somehow shambles on, everyone living in constant torture for the rest of their existence.

In brightest day and darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DyKNxeF4KMsY&ved=0ahUKEwiv2_D66pfOAhXD44MKHVbFDcUQtwIIGzAA&usg=AFQjCNFbczT857rat8hkqLTI1GJgnfg3ow

Cthulhu
07-29-2016, 06:57 PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DyKNxeF4KMsY&ved=0ahUKEwiv2_D66pfOAhXD44MKHVbFDcUQtwIIGzAA&usg=AFQjCNFbczT857rat8hkqLTI1GJgnfg3ow
Lol.

The Green Lantern is but a mere salad to me. An appetizer of sorts.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

Private Pickle
07-29-2016, 07:01 PM
Lol.

The Green Lantern is but a mere salad to me. An appetizer of sorts.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

So many homophobic jokes...so little time...

Hal Jordan
07-29-2016, 09:09 PM

Hal Jordan isn't always a Green Lantern, you know...

http://static7.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/62058/1627480-dculegacies08_030.jpg
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/greenlantern/images/d/d8/Hal_Jordan_as_Red_Lantern-1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090324203457

So on, so forth. One day you're fighting alongside a Green Lantern Corps to save the multiverse, the next, you've killed the entire Corps and are destroying the multiverse.