PDA

View Full Version : Trump and Those Very Bad Russians

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Trump and Those Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Russians (http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article45183.htm)

By Finian Cunningham

In an amazing feat of American reality-inversion, this week saw revelations about how the US electoral system is rigged by the rich and powerful. Yet the story is flipped to outlandish allegations that Russia’s President Vladimir Putin is a villain out to destroy Western democracy.

US media outlets from the august New York Times to various others were saturated with claims that Putin is trying to determine the forthcoming American presidential elections by damaging Democrat candidate Hillary Clinton in favor of Republican nominee Donald Trump.

In an article in Slate magazine, we are told: “Putin plan for destroying the West – and it looks a lot like Donald Trump”.

The billionaire property magnate is now being labelled as “Putin’s puppet” and the “Kremlin’s candidate”.

This is a re-run of American establishment paranoia that dominated the Cold War decades, when any political challenger for high office in the US could be blackballed by mere assertion that he was a fellow-traveller of the Soviet Union. Today, “communism” is replaced with allegations of being friends with Moscow “tyranny”.

But let’s deal with the facts here. What we know is that a huge leak of emails from the Democrat National Committee was released last week by Western-based whistleblower organization, Wikileaks, run by Australian journalist Julian Assange.

The emails are a devastating indictment of how the Democrat party leadership has from the outset sought to make sure Hillary Clinton becomes the presidential nominee by crushing her populist rival Bernie Sanders. Clinton is backed by big business, Wall Street and the Pentagon.

The Wikileaks email revelations on the eve of the Democrat convention this week in Philadelphia is proof that what passes for American democracy is a rigged system, ordained by the rich and powerful to elect their candidate to do their bidding when in office.

Sanders acknowledged how the political system was unfairly stacked against him and his supporters. Nevertheless, the Vermont senator has gone on to endorse Clinton, to the disgust of many of his supporters.

Rather than focusing on what is a teachable moment of corporate control of politics, the US media performed mental gymnastics by shifting this real story on to wild speculation that the Democrat email leaks were masterminded by Russian intelligence. The allegation was flatly denied by Wikileaks.

So now, instead of the public examining how powerful American interest prevail on their democratic choice, the narrative becomes one of accusing Vladimir Putin of subverting the US presidential elections.

The slander against Russia is only afforded a semblance of credibility because it is piled on a heap of previous slander, in which Moscow is accused of annexing and invading Ukrainian territory, posing a threat to Eastern Europe, assassinating political opponents, shooting down civilian airliners and sponsoring illicit drugs in Olympic sports.

One again, rumor, insinuation and vilification triumph over facts in the Western media’s so-called news services.

The story of Russian state-sponsored hackers breaking into the Democrat party’s email system first surfaced more than a month ago. As pointed out previously, the source of claims that it was Russian cyber-espionage was a private US security firm, CrowdStrike, which is closely linked to the Washington DC-based think tank Atlantic Council. The Atlantic Council is, in turn, tightly aligned with the US-led NATO military alliance.

The claims made against Russian state hackers are unverifiable. They are simply assertions from a partisan source, which are then amplified into seeming fact by the dutiful Western media.

Incredibly, this anti-Russian smear is then parlayed into a smear against Clinton’s Republican rival, Donald Trump.

Democrats love to portray themselves as the reasonable, peace-loving party, the one who will calm tensions and bring stability to the world.

Yet they have, in connivance with neocon Republicans, essentially reignited the Cold War, and they did this simply because they are in love with Obama.

Simply put, Obama says mean and nasty things about Russia, so they obey his commands and hate Russia. It's like the two minutes hate in the novel 1984.

They insist on confronting Russia over Russia's annexation of Crimea.

Yet 99% of Americans probably have no clue where Crimea is or what its history entails. In fact, most Democrats have no clue about Crimea either, but that doesn't stop them from having really strong opinions on it.

At any rate, Crimea means nothing to Americans. It's fate will have a negligible effect on our security and prosperity. It is not a vital strategic interest.

Therefore, there is no rational reason for the US government to "confront" Russia over it on our behalf. It's just reckless saber rattling and propaganda meant to escalate tensions and empower the military-industrial complex.

Common Sense
07-29-2016, 03:52 PM
LOL...Cunningham is an op ed guy for RT and Sputnik News. This piece is from Sputnik News. Sputnik News is a Russian government controlled news agency.

Putin thanks you for promoting his propaganda.

Refugee
07-29-2016, 05:38 PM
I also have a weekly coloumn on one of these propaganda sites; when in Rome . . .

The reason they arise is because people like Obama and Clinton give them so much ammunition. Without them, you’d be absolutely clueless. What America sees as conspiracy theories are viewed by the rest of the world as fact. Destabilising the Ukraine and the overthrow of a democratically elected president, funding the various Syrian sectarian divisions; Libya, Iraq, surrounding Russia, China and Iraq with military bases . . . American news is now so tightly controlled it resembles 24/7 indoctrination. It’s a bit like viewing the NSA activities as a conspiracy theory and then blaming Snowden for telling you the facts.

decedent
07-29-2016, 06:10 PM
"The slander against Russia is only afforded a semblance of credibility because it is piled on a heap of previous slander, in which Moscow is accused of annexing and invading Ukrainian territory, posing a threat to Eastern Europe, assassinating political opponents, shooting down civilian airliners and sponsoring illicit drugs in Olympic sports."

This 'slander' is all true.

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 07:51 PM
LOL...Cunningham is an op ed guy for RT and Sputnik News. This piece is from Sputnik News. Sputnik News is a Russian government controlled news agency.

As usual, you cannot address the substance of the article, so you just attack the source and blurt out something about Putin and propaganda.

And, of course, you threw in the obligatory "LOL".

Mister D
07-29-2016, 07:54 PM

So what? Sure, take it with a grain of salt. Agreed. Does that mean it's wrong? Inaccurate? What exactly do you disagree with?

Mister D
07-29-2016, 07:56 PM
As usual, you cannot address the substance of the article, so you just attack the source and blurt out something about Putin and propaganda.

And, of course, you threw in the obligatory "LOL".

I mean it's not like his own government...wait I mean our government (his government is irrelevant) doesn't do the same thing. The liberal democracies have their own mouthpieces that we parrot on this forum all the time.

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 07:58 PM
I also have a weekly coloumn on one of these propaganda sites; when in Rome . . .

The reason they arise is because people like Obama and Clinton give them so much ammunition. Without them, you’d be absolutely clueless. What America sees as conspiracy theories are viewed by the rest of the world as fact. Destabilising the Ukraine and the overthrow of a democratically elected president, funding the various Syrian sectarian divisions; Libya, Iraq, surrounding Russia, China and Iraq with military bases . . . American news is now so tightly controlled it resembles 24/7 indoctrination. It’s a bit like viewing the NSA activities as a conspiracy theory and then blaming Snowden for telling you the facts.

The only sources that some westerners will accept as "serious" and/or "credible" are western governments and corporate media despite the fact that these institutions are regularly caught lying and/or misrepresenting information. It was the "serious" and "credible" corporate media who dutifully propagandized western people into invading and occupying Iraq, all based on trumped up "WMD" allegations. Yet they are still taken seriously for some reason. Because it's only those evil, bad Russians who are propagandized. Not us, though. We're "exceptional".

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 08:00 PM
"The slander against Russia is only afforded a semblance of credibility because it is piled on a heap of previous slander, in which Moscow is accused of annexing and invading Ukrainian territory, posing a threat to Eastern Europe, assassinating political opponents, shooting down civilian airliners and sponsoring illicit drugs in Olympic sports."

This 'slander' is all true.

Western politicians and their corporate overlords said so, so it must be true.

Common Sense
07-29-2016, 08:02 PM
So what? Sure, take it with a grain of salt. Agreed. Does that mean it's wrong? Inaccurate? What exactly do you disagree with?

Yeah, so what? While we're at it lets debate the points raised in a North Korean KNCA op ed.

I disagree with the premise that Russia is innocent and that shady business of the west (that does exist) even compares to what Putin and oligarchs do.

Putin actually is what some conservatives claim Hillary is. A tyrant.

I don't care to take his obvious propaganda seriously.

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 08:16 PM

He's just recycling Cold War-era style propaganda where you attack the messenger instead of arguing the message's content. Historically speaking, questioning someone's patriotism has been a very effective (and mindless) way of shutting down debate and reinforcing conventional wisdom.

And why is it so effective? Because failing to maintain some minimal level of "patriotism" can cost someone their life or their liberty.

How many times have the powerful used "patriotism" as a pretext to crackdown on legitimate dissent? Too many to count, I would reckon.

And so it goes. Common Sense, arguably the most anti-Russian zealot on this forum, attacks the patriotism of anyone who questions the conventional wisdom about US-Russian relations.

del
07-29-2016, 08:17 PM
more hyperbole please

AZ Jim
07-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Commie loving cons. So the enemy is actually us.

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 08:21 PM
I mean it's not like his own government...wait I mean our government (his government is irrelevant) doesn't do the same thing. The liberal democracies have their own mouthpieces that we parrot on this forum all the time.

The western corporate media has been systematically propagandizing western people into an endless series of conflicts with other countries. President Eisenhower expressly warned the American people about the "military-industrial complex" and the influence it exercises over political policies. Yet some people still refuse to put two and two together because the truth is too upsetting for them.

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Yeah, so what? While we're at it lets debate the points raised in a North Korean KNCA op ed.

I disagree with the premise that Russia is innocent and that shady business of the west (that does exist) even compares to what Putin and oligarchs do.

Putin actually is what some conservatives claim Hillary is. A tyrant.

I don't care to take his obvious propaganda seriously.

Translation: I don't want to discuss the article's content, so I'm just going to whine about the source.

Mister D
07-29-2016, 08:24 PM

The USSR collapsed over 20 years ago, Jim.

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 08:24 PM

Oh, look. Another Joseph McCarthy wannabe.

I understand why so many Democrats are angry at the Russians. After all, Obama and Clinton told them to be angry at the Russians. What were Democrats supposed to do? Think for themselves?

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 08:27 PM
The USSR collapsed over 20 years ago, Jim.

He will just claim (with no evidence) that Putin is a revanchist Soviet who wakes up every morning plotting how to recapture the glory days of Stalin.

Mister D
07-29-2016, 08:30 PM
He's just recycling Cold War-era style propaganda where you attack the messenger instead of arguing the message's content. Historically speaking, questioning someone's patriotism has been a very effective (and mindless) way of shutting down debate and reinforcing conventional wisdom.

And why is it so effective? Because failing to maintain some minimal level of "patriotism" can cost someone their life or their liberty.

How many times have the powerful used as a pretext "patriotism" to justify crackdown on legitimate dissent? Too many to count, I would reckon.

And so it goes. Common Sense, arguably the most anti-Russian zealot on this forum, attacks the patriotism of anyone who questions the conventional wisdom about US-Russian relations.

It's not the Cold War. Unfortunately, it's just the style of many members and that's not limited to Sense or to the left. It only emboldens me because it shows quite clearly that my opposition is weak.

Anyway, yes, all governments behave this way. They just use different methods.

Newpublius
07-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Democrats love to portray themselves as the reasonable, peace-loving party, the one who will calm tensions and bring stability to the world.

Yet they have, in connivance with neocon Republicans, essentially reignited the Cold War, and they did this simply because they are in love with Obama.

Simply put, Obama says mean and nasty things about Russia, so they obey his commands and hate Russia. It's like the two minutes hate in the novel 1984.

They insist on confronting Russia over Russia's annexation of Crimea.

Yet 99% of Americans probably have no clue where Crimea is or what its history entails. In fact, most Democrats have no clue about Crimea either, but that doesn't stop them from having really strong opinions on it.

At any rate, Crimea means nothing to Americans. It's fate will have a negligible effect on our security and prosperity. It is not a vital strategic interest.

Therefore, there is no rational reason for the US government to "confront" Russia over it on our behalf. It's just reckless saber rattling and propaganda meant to escalate tensions and empower the military-industrial complex.

Indeed, at some point, Russia, with all its oil that we love to have, I mean seriously WHY are we geopolitical opposed to them? Habit?

#out of nato

Mister D
07-29-2016, 08:32 PM
He will just claim (with no evidence) that Putin is a revanchist Soviet who wakes up every morning plotting how to recapture the glory days of Stalin.

It's patently obvious that US planners perceive a threat from an increase in Russian power or influence. I'm just not sure if that's simply habit or a genuine post-war development.

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 08:35 PM
It's patently obvious that US planners perceive a threat from an increase in Russian power or influence. I'm just not sure if that's simply habit or a genuine post-war development.

It's propaganda meant to stoke fear and distract people from the DNC's corruption.

Mister D
07-29-2016, 08:38 PM
It's propaganda meant to stoke fear and distract people from the DNC's corruption.

It goes well beyond that. It manifested in the 2016 election but we're talking about a generally hostile US policy.

Newpublius
07-29-2016, 08:38 PM

It's the natural consequence of extending NATO eastward.

Consider yahoo article:

"At the heart of NATO's declining stature is the candidacy of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and the failed coup in Turkey. Trump suggested recently that he would not necessarily extend the security guarantee inherent in NATO's Article 5 to all 28 members of the alliance. Given a hypothetical of Russia attacking a Baltic State, Trump said that he would provide aid contingent upon whether the state had "fulfilled their obligations to us."

This lack of commitment to upholding NATO's cornerstone of collective defense from a US presidential candidate undermines the alliance as a whole, experts said, and could cause considerable anxiety among NATO allies — particularly in the Baltic States and Eastern Europe. "

Country is potentially asking me to sacrifice my son on the altar of Lithuanian sovereignty.

Fuck that shit. Putin can have it.

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Indeed, at some point, Russia, with all its oil that we love to have, I mean seriously WHY are we geopolitical opposed to them? Habit?

#out of nato

It's habit for many of the average folk who mindlessly attack Russia. But it's not a habit for the power elites who manufacture and disseminate this propaganda. For them, it is a cold, calculate decision meant to frighten people into obedience and conformism.

Mister D
07-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Why is NATO being extended eastward or at all? Are we putting the cart before the horse?

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 08:49 PM
It's the natural consequence of extending NATO eastward.

Consider yahoo article:

"At the heart of NATO's declining stature is the candidacy of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and the failed coup in Turkey. Trump suggested recently that he would not necessarily extend the security guarantee inherent in NATO's Article 5 to all 28 members of the alliance. Given a hypothetical of Russia attacking a Baltic State, Trump said that he would provide aid contingent upon whether the state had "fulfilled their obligations to us."

This lack of commitment to upholding NATO's cornerstone of collective defense from a US presidential candidate undermines the alliance as a whole, experts said, and could cause considerable anxiety among NATO allies — particularly in the Baltic States and Eastern Europe. "

Country is potentially asking me to sacrifice my son on the altar of Lithuanian sovereignty.

$#@! that $#@!. Putin can have it.

Exactly. Why should Americans send their children overseas to fight and die for Poles or Lithuanians? If private citizens want to volunteer to fight for a foreign country, I'm not going to stand in their way. But don't drag the entire country into it. The entire point of declaring independence from the British was to be... wait for it... INDEPENDENT. It's about time we started exercising our independence and looking out for number one.

Ethereal
07-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Why is NATO being extended eastward or at all?

How else are we supposed to provoke Russia and escalate tensions with them?

Mister D
07-29-2016, 08:53 PM
How else are we supposed to provoke Russia and escalate tensions with them?

That's just it. Obviously, the push east was stimulated by a fear and loathing of a Russia not lying prostrate before the US. Our hostility to Russia is not a consequence of NATO's push east. It's the other way around.

Newpublius
07-29-2016, 09:12 PM
That's just it. Obviously, the push east was stimulated by a fear and loathing of a Russia not lying prostrate before the US. Our hostility to Russia is not a consequence of NATO's push east. It's the other way around.

Indeed, we had the Cold War won, the Russians retreated from the Elbe and we just couldn't be content enough with that and we had to roll NATO right up to Russia's doorstep and now, include countries that have sizable Russian minorities in them because of ethnic mixing due to the USSR.

AZ Jim
07-29-2016, 11:59 PM
Go ahead pseudo Americans lay down like old whores and play footsie with Putin. Be proud.

Ethereal
07-30-2016, 02:06 AM
Go ahead pseudo Americans lay down like old $#@!s and play footsie with Putin. Be proud.

President Obama was against the war in Iraq. Does that make Obama a disloyal American who loved Saddam Hussein?

And if you choose to defend the war in Iraq, I will understand. After all, you're supporting a person for President who voted to authorized that disaster.

Newpublius
07-30-2016, 08:06 AM
Go ahead pseudo Americans lay down like old $#@!s and play footsie with Putin. Be proud.

Oh, I see so now you can only be a 'real' American only so long as we continue to support constant international intervention? Got it.

Ethereal
07-31-2016, 04:14 PM
Listen to this Putin-sympathizing scum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCMyHJJrdDw

AZ Jim
07-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Oh, I see so now you can only be a 'real' American only so long as we continue to support constant international intervention? Got it.That has absolutely no bearing upon the cozy arrangement between Trump/Putin.

Green Arrow
07-31-2016, 04:45 PM
It's long passed time for us to make peace with Russia.

AZ Jim
07-31-2016, 05:08 PM
It's long passed time for us to make peace with Russia.If true it should be with a clear understanding of their expansionism plans and through diplomatic channels not by a mad man who thinks he's using Putin, who is much smarter and is in fact using trump. Putin is playing him like a fiddle.

Ethereal
07-31-2016, 05:13 PM
If true it should be with a clear understanding of their expansionism plans and through diplomatic channels not by a mad man who thinks he's using Putin, who is much smarter and is in fact using trump. Putin is playing him like a fiddle.

The institutions and individuals presently alleging Russian "expansionism" are the same institutions and individuals who told us that Saddam Hussein and his "WMD" were a threat to America.

AZ Jim
07-31-2016, 05:18 PM
But not the same president who fell for it, promoted false information to congress and carelessly went to war to take him out of power.

Ethereal
07-31-2016, 05:22 PM
But not the same president who fell for it, promoted false information to congress and carelessly went to war to take him out of power.

All the same neocons who told us Saddam Hussein's WMD were a threat to America are now telling anyone who will listen about nonexistent Russian "aggression". Obama is merely parroting their talking points.

And the issue is no longer about Obama but about Clinton, who DID vote to authorize the war in Iraq.

Her and her supporters expect people to take her anti-Russian propaganda at face value. How absurd.

Ethereal
07-31-2016, 05:26 PM
Robert Kagan and Other Neocons Are Backing Hillary Clinton (https://theintercept.com/2016/07/25/robert-kagan-and-other-neocons-back-hillary-clinton/)

The same neocons who gave us Iraq are now backing Hillary for President.

Peter1469
07-31-2016, 06:01 PM
I called that six months ago.

They are all liberals after all.