PDA

View Full Version : California To Give Illegals Driver Licenses

IGetItAlready
10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
California will give driver's licenses to illegal immigrants (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/10/california-will-give-drivers-licenses-to-illegal-immigrants-video-discussion.html)And why wouldn't they? Is this government by the people and for the people or what?

oceanloverOH
10-01-2012, 05:28 PM
This whole illegal immigrant thing has me frustrated beyond belief. What part of ILLEGAL is the government having a hard time understanding? A driver's license is a LEGAL document. Grrrrrrr......

hanger4
10-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Well that's one way to beat voter ID laws.

IGetItAlready
10-01-2012, 05:37 PM
This whole illegal immigrant thing has me frustrated beyond belief. What part of ILLEGAL is the government having a hard time understanding? A driver's license is a LEGAL document. Grrrrrrr......

And if I'm not mistaken, our president swore an oath to uphold ALL the laws of the United States.
When does openly circumventing those laws become treason?!!!

IGetItAlready
10-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Well that's one way to beat voter ID laws.

Yeah, give 'em to criminals who shouldn't even be here while apparently the poor and minority legal citizens of this nation are some how being prevented from acquiring ID.

hanger4
10-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Yeah, give 'em to criminals who shouldn't even be here while apparently the poor and minority legal citizens of this nation are some how being prevented from acquiring ID.

Ironic ain't it ??

oceanloverOH
10-01-2012, 07:48 PM
After conducting a review, the Arizona Department of Transportation has concluded that the state will not issue driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants granted work permits under President Barack Obama's deferred-action program.

The decision, confirmed Friday in response to an inquiry by The Arizona Republic, is consistent with Gov. Jan Brewer's Aug. 15 executive order telling state agencies to take steps to make sure undocumented immigrants who receive deferred action on deportation do not get driver's licenses or public benefits.

by Daniel González - Sept. 21, 2012 11:40 PM
The Republic | azcentral.com

Many other states are grappling with the same issue.

The decision angered advocates who believe undocumented immigrants granted deferred action should be able to get driver's licenses.

Without them, the immigrants cannot legally drive to work or school.

The state may face a lawsuit from civil-rights groups who say preventing undocumented immigrants granted deferred action from getting driver's licenses violates state law.

At issue is whether federal employment-authorization documents, or work permits, that will be given to undocumented immigrants approved under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program should be accepted by the state to establish legal presence.

California has said the state will issue driver's licenses to such immigrants because it already accepts the documents for other reasons.

U.S. Department of Homeland Security officials, however, have repeatedly stated that undocumented immigrants granted deferred action do not have any legal status in the U.S.

The action simply allows them to stay temporarily in the U.S. for two years without the threat of deportation and to receive a work permit, they said.

In a written statement, Timothy Tait, a spokesman for the Arizona Department of Transportation, cited those statements to justify not issuing driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants granted work permits under the program. The agency already accepts work permits issued to undocumented immigrants for other reasons, including because they are crime victims or witnesses.

Arizona law requires that only people living in the country legally can be issued a driver's license or identification card, Tait said in the statement.

Because the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has said deferred action does not give undocumented immigrants legal status, their work permits "are insufficient for the purpose of obtaining an Arizona driver license or identification card," he said.

The state Motor Vehicle Division's website includes three types of employment-authorization documents on a list of primary documents already accepted to get driver's licenses. Those documents have federal identification numbers, including I-688A, I-688B and I-766.

After Brewer issued the executive order, ADOT officials said they would review that policy.

Since then, the MVD has added a sentence on its website next to the list of accepted work-authorization documents: "An employment authorization document resulting from a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival is not acceptable."

Tait's statement did not say how MVD officials will distinguish work permits granted to deferred-action recipients under Obama's program from those granted to undocumented immigrants for other reasons.

However, the work permits issued under Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals will have a different number: I-765.

As many as 1.7 million undocumented immigrants, including 80,000 in Arizona, may be eligible for the deferred-action program. It targets undocumented immigrants under age 31 who were brought to the U.S. before the age of 16 and have lived continuously in this country for five years.

So far, more than 82,000 undocumented immigrants nationally have applied for deferred action, and 29 have been granted deferred-action status, according to theUSCIS.

Regina Jefferies, a Phoenix lawyer who chairs the Arizona chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, said the state will likely face a lawsuit over the decision to deny driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants who receive work permits under the new program.

"Their policy violates state law. Very clearly, state law allows people with a work permit and a Social Security number to get a driver's license," she said. "They can be sued, and I am sure that is what will happen."

Carmen Cornejo of the Arizona Dream Act Coalition, an advocacy group that has been helping undocumented immigrants apply for deferred action, said not issuing driver's licenses to successful applicants unjustly creates hardship for them.

"It's a necessity for them to go to work," she said. "They cannot not drive to work. They cannot not drive to school.

"It puts them in danger with the authorities," who can ticket or arrest them, she said.

Last week, officials from Maricopa Community Colleges announced that undocumented immigrants granted deferred action would be able to use the work permits to receive in-state tuition.

Under state law, undocumented immigrants are normally barred from receiving in-state tuition and must pay more costly out-of-state tuition.

The Arizona Board of Regents is considering whether to allow undocumented immigrants granted deferred action to receive in-state tuition at the state's three universities.

************************************************** *********************************************
Jan Brewer is one gutsy lady, and this isn't the first time she's bucked one of Obama's stupider decisions. I need to move to Arizona....at least the immigration laws are upheld there.

Captain Obvious
10-01-2012, 08:19 PM
How can they vote if they don't have ID?

Deadwood
10-01-2012, 08:26 PM
And if I'm not mistaken, our president swore an oath to uphold ALL the laws of the United States.

Yes he did.

And the entire Democratic party INVITED an ILLEGAL to speak at their convention.

Now, there is a little slip of land here that is cut in two by the 49th Parallel. On one side is Tsawaasen, Canada and on the other is Point Roberts USA. If you step through some hedges, chasing a ball say? Well, Homeland security might just open fire....I kid you not [pre 911 people used to wander back and forth, walk down the roads to buy cigarettes and no one gave a shit] but, it's OK for an Hispanic in the country illegally to address a few thousand hypocrites and be broadcast on TV.

I just don't understand. We have illegals here....but they don't get nothing. Don't get sick amigo, cause aint no doctor gonna treat you 'cause it's illegal for him to accept direct payment....

waltky
10-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Granny says we're a victim of our own success, improving economy draws more illegals...
:shocked:
Study: Improved economy draws illegal immigrants
October 25. 2012 - Illegal immigration from Mexico reached historic lows during the recession, but with the economy improving, the number of illegal immigrants entering the U.S. from Mexico is growing.

Want a sign that the economy is on the rebound? Illegal immigration from Mexico is starting to rise again, according to a new report. Immigration from Mexico fell to historic lows during the worst years of the recession. After four decades that brought 12 million people from Mexico to the U.S., people started heading back home and continued doing so from 2007 to 2011.

It's impossible to pinpoint the exact number of people crossing the southwest border with Mexico, but the study by U.S. and Mexican researchers estimates that immigrants headed north in the first half of 2012 outnumbered those heading back for the first time since 2007. "Illegal immigration is a market indicator," said Roy Beck, CEO of NumbersUSA, an Arlington, Va.-based think tank that advocates lower levels of legal and illegal immigration. "They all got gigantic networks of family and friends who are already here sending information back and forth. So this is basically another sign that the economy is picking up."

The report is a collaboration between the University of Southern California and El Colegio de la Frontera Norte in Tijuana, a Mexican government-sponsored research group. Researchers used interviews with people along the border and data from the U.S. and Mexico.

Jeffrey Passel, the senior demographer at the non-partisan Pew Hispanic Center who was not involved in the report, said the findings look legitimate. But he said the small increase in people coming from Mexico does not mean the United States is close to the massive influx of illegal immigrants seen recently. For example, in 2000, 770,000 Mexicans immigrated, legally and illegally, to the U.S. In 2010, that number fell to 140,000. "Right now, we're in a period where Mexican migration to the U.S. is at very low levels," Passel said.

MORE (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/25/improved-economy-draws-immigrants/1658975/)

roadmaster
10-26-2012, 04:14 PM
They already get free tuition and our governor Purdue said such as nursing courses that they would not get in front of the ones waiting years to get in, which was a lie.

coolwalker
10-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Yes it is treason, but what congressman has the intestinal fortitude to bring him up on challenges.

WalterSobchak
10-26-2012, 05:09 PM
If he wins, I wonder if Romney will be tougher. Who am I kidding? His admin won't change a damn thing. None of them ever do.