PDA

View Full Version : President Obama commutes sentences of 214 people

Cigar
08-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Most issued by president in single day since 1900Obama Commutes Sentences Of More Than 200 People Serving Federal Sentences

“We’re going to keep our foot on the gas pedal when it comes to reviewing applications for clemency,” White House counsel Neil Eggleston says. President Obama has now commuted the sentences of 562 people.

President Obama commuted the sentences of 214 people serving federal sentences on Wednesday — the most commutations issued by a president in a single day since at least 1900 — White House officials told BuzzFeed News.

The commutations are the latest in a series of such reprieves issued by Obama after announcing his support in 2014 for a clemency review process to address those serving harsh sentences that they would not be subject to if convicted today. The Clemency Project has led Obama to to grant a series of such commutations beginning in July 2015.

"This is a good day — not just for the 214 individuals who are getting a hard-earned second chance, but for the people at the White House and the Department of Justice and at advocacy organizations across the country who work every day to remedy injustices in our sentencing laws,” White House counsel Neil Eggleston told BuzzFeed News. “We're going to keep our foot on the gas pedal when it comes to reviewing applications for clemency, but we are also going to need leaders in both parties in Congress to pass long overdue reforms to our criminal justice system to achieve lasting change on the scale that is needed."

Sixty-seven of Wednesday's commutations are for people serving life sentences – almost all, per the White House, for nonviolent drug crimes. A quick review of the full list of commutations provided to BuzzFeed News appears to show that the same holds true for the vast majority of the underlying offenses involved in the other commutations as well.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/obama-commutes-sentences-of-more-than-200-people-serving-fed?utm_term=.kyovoyPLE#.fl8gbJ0ZP

:grin:

Bo-4
08-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Life sentences for nonviolent drug crimes are dirt dumb. 5 years should be a max for ANY nonviolent drug crime.

Commute away Mr. President!

Mac-7
08-03-2016, 12:56 PM
I wonder if any of the criminals are white?

Cigar
08-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Only took 3 this time ... :laugh:

Mac-7
08-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Only took 3 this time ... :laugh:

Since obama is a reverse racist its a fair question

Captain Obvious
08-03-2016, 01:03 PM

Probably a token few.

Wonder how they vote.

Captain Obvious
08-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Since obama is a reverse racist its a fair question

Nothing reverse about racists.

AZ Jim
08-03-2016, 01:04 PM
I wonder if any of the criminals are white?Is that all you have, racist pig?

Captain Obvious
08-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Is that all you have, racist pig?

Insults out of rage make you look worse.

Just saying, one of those "self-aware" help things.

AZ Jim
08-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Insults out of rage make you look worse.

Just saying, one of those "self-aware" help things.Thanks but I am more true to myself than diplomatic at times.

Mac-7
08-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Is that all you have, racist pig?

A racist black golfer in chief has his thumb on the scales of justice - or so he has during his time in office so far.

If most of the criminals turned loose are black we have a right to know.

if not it should be public knowledge also

Cigar
08-03-2016, 01:32 PM
A racist black golfer in chief has his thumb on the scales of justice - or so he has during his time in office so far.

If most of the criminals turned loose are black we have a right to know.

if not it should be public knowledge also

:grin: Don't it just Piss You Off? :mumum:

Safety
08-03-2016, 01:38 PM

Half?

Captain Obvious
08-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Half?

Half white?

Safety
08-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Half white?

Yup.

Oboe
08-03-2016, 02:04 PM
More shuckin' and jivin' from B.O.