PDA

View Full Version : tPF Democrats fear 'October surprise' as White House ponders hack response

Common
08-06-2016, 05:53 AM
What tough action are they urging him to take ? start a war ? Bend over and kiss Putins Hand. Its way to late to play tough guy with Putin, hes had an open free run for 8 yrs.

Democrats fear 'October surprise' as White House ponders hack response
Security experts from both parties want to see strong action if the U.S. concludes Russia is meddling in the election.

As Hillary Clinton supporters fret about a WikiLeaks “October surprise,” dozens of defense and security experts from both parties are urging the Obama administration to take tough action if it concludes that Russia orchestrated a series of cyberattacks on the Democratic Party.
But based on past U.S. handling of foreign-sponsored cyberassaults, it could take months or even years to mount such a response — action that could encompass anything from public shaming or economic sanctions to indictments or retaliatory hacking. Even the most optimistic timeline, according to interviews withformer security and law enforcement officials, could delay a forceful U.S. reprisal until just weeks before the very presidential election that the hackers may be trying to influence.

“I’m sure they’re cognizant of [the] timeline,” said Nathaniel Gleicher, who served as director for cybersecurity policy at the White House National Security Council until last October. “That doesn’t mean that they’re going to take action sooner or later.”
The administration insists it has improved its ability to respond quickly to cyberattacks, and officials increasingly say they support publicly calling out foreign nations that hack the United States. One administration official noted that it took just five weeks for President Barack Obama to impose economic sanctions against North Korea in response to the destructive late-2014 hacking of Sony Pictures.
Yet current and former officials acknowledge that constructing a public response isn't an instant task. Merely preparing a declassified explanation of who perpetrated an attack or readying economic sanctions takes weeks. Bringing criminal charges — as the Justice Department has done with state-backed hacking suspects in Iran and China — can require years.
And the U.S. has never leveled any official public reprisal for hacking by Russia, despite years of evidence that hackers linked to Vladimir Putin’s regime have carried out intrusions of the White House, State Department and Pentagon.
[/URL]

[URL="http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/morning-cybersecurity/2016/08/obama-addresses-election-security-meeting-of-minds-at-harvard-no-cars-go-215732"]Obama addresses election security (http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/morning-cybersecurity/2016/08/obama-addresses-election-security-meeting-of-minds-at-harvard-no-cars-go-215732) By Tim Starks (http://www.politico.com/staff/tim-starks)

Obama himself preached caution at a news conference this week. Imposing penalties, he said, “requires us to really be able to pin down and know what we’re talking about.”
The prospect of a lengthy wait is unnerving for Clinton supporters, who see potential repeats of last month’s mass release of Democratic National Committee emails as one of a handful of unpredictable curveballs that could still toss the White House to Donald Trump. Democrats have charged that the website WikiLeaks dumped the emails as part of a Russian effort to aid Trump, who has praised Putin and expressed doubts about U.S. commitments to allies in Eastern Europe.
Russia has denied having anything to do with the DNC hacks or a separate breach aimed at donors to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. But if the U.S. concludes that Putin’s regime is to blame, a growing chorus of security hawks says the White House must make it clear that such meddling in the U.S. political system cannot stand.
“If in fact you could definitively or strongly develop a case for attribution against Russia, that in fact the Russians should be confronted with it and we should confront them publicly with it,” former Obama administration National Security Adviser Tom Donilon said Thursday (http://www.politico.com/events/2016/08/playbook-breakfast-with-tom-donilon-and-stephen-hadley-226558?slide=2) during a POLITICO Playbook breakfast (http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/tom-donilon-russia-dnc-hack-226679).
“I don’t think countries are paying a price for this kind of activities,” Stephen Hadley, who held the same post under George W. Bush, said at the same event.
Calls for action have also come from several congressional Democrats and Republicans who serve on defense, law enforcement or intelligence committees, as well as a bipartisan group of 31 security and counterterrorism experts who urged (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/members-of-the-aspen-institute-homeland-security-group-issue-statement-on-dnc-hack-300306004.html) Obama to “take prompt actions” that would “deter foreign actors from pursuing such tactics in the future.”
“This is not a partisan issue,” wrote the experts from the Aspen Institute Homeland Security Group, who included Bush Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and former CIA directors Michael Hayden and William Webster. They added: “Our president should be chosen by American citizens, not by foreign adversaries or interests.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/clinton-democrats-hacking-dnc-october-surprise-226743

Ethereal
08-06-2016, 06:00 AM
What tough action are they urging him to take ? start a war ? Bend over and kiss Putins Hand. Its way to late to play tough guy with Putin, hes had an open free run for 8 yrs.

Free run to do what, exactly? Have sanctions imposed on Russia's economy? Have the Saudis drive down the price of oil to hurt Russia's number one export? Have a pro-Russian government toppled on Russia's border? Have his ally in Syria nearly overthrown by US-backed rebels? Have NATO encircle Russia? Be compared to Adolf Hitler in the western media? Have their involvement in the last two Olympics trashed by western governments and media?

How much tougher does Obama need to be on Russia before his haters credit Obama with being tough on Russia?

Peter1469
08-06-2016, 06:04 AM
Hillary's email is already under control of at least the Russians, the Chinese, and the NSA. I suspect the first leak came from the NSA as retaliation for her screwing up their highest level of security. I don't see the Chinese or Russians leaking stuff to hurt her. She is reliable status quo. Trump is dangerous to Russia and China. They don't want to risk him.

FindersKeepers
08-06-2016, 07:26 AM
How much tougher does Obama need to be on Russia before his haters credit Obama with being tough on Russia?

I think it's less a matter of Obama's "toughness" or lack thereof, as it is a matter of Obama's foolhardiness in his foreign policy dealings.

There was no legitimate reason for the US to join forces with the EU and encourage/fund the ouster of a duly-elected Ukrainian president. But, we did, and as a result, the Crimea voted overwhelmingly to leave the Ukraine and join Russia. That was a huge setback in the progress previous leaders had made since the end of the Cold War.

Obama's "toughness" also opened an avenue of communication between Russia and Egypt when Obama stupidly demanded that the Muslim Brotherhood have a seat at the "decision making table" after Mubarak stepped down.

Then, Obama led the attacks on Gaddafi, and then ran away when the leader was killed, which resulted in Libya's descent into chaos. Even then, he hadn't learn his lesson and he tried to pull the same stunt in Syria, with Cameron hot and heavy at his heels, until the Brits told Cameron in no uncertain terms to sit-down and shut-up. Obama huffed and puffed and pouted, which opened the door for Putin to step up and act like he saved the day.

So no -- it's not a matter of Obama's "toughness." It's a matter of the role he's played in bolstering Putin's power and reputation around the world. When it comes to foreign policy, our current President is a complete fool.

Common
08-06-2016, 07:33 AM
Free run to do what, exactly? Have sanctions imposed on Russia's economy? Have the Saudis drive down the price of oil to hurt Russia's number one export? Have a pro-Russian government toppled on Russia's border? Have his ally in Syria nearly overthrown by US-backed rebels? Have NATO encircle Russia? Be compared to Adolf Hitler in the western media? Have their involvement in the last two Olympics trashed by western governments and media?

Wasnt that the same question I asked ?

But tell me what Obama has done tough to russia ?
He didnt seem a bit concerned about china and russia joint miltary training. Now china can have huge economic sanctions placed on it.

A huge tariff on all imports from china to their biggest market HERE

Common
08-06-2016, 07:36 AM
I think it's less a matter of Obama's "toughness" or lack thereof, as it is a matter of Obama's foolhardiness in his foreign policy dealings.

There was no legitimate reason for the US to join forces with the EU and encourage/fund the ouster of a duly-elected Ukrainian president. But, we did, and as a result, the Crimea voted overwhelmingly to leave the Ukraine and join Russia. That was a huge setback in the progress previous leaders had made since the end of the Cold War.

Obama's "toughness" also opened an avenue of communication between Russia and Egypt when Obama stupidly demanded that the Muslim Brotherhood have a seat at the "decision making table" after Mubarak stepped down.

Then, Obama led the attacks on Gaddafi, and then ran away when the leader was killed, which resulted in Libya's descent into chaos. Even then, he hadn't learn his lesson and he tried to pull the same stunt in Syria, with Cameron hot and heavy at his heels, until the Brits told Cameron in no uncertain terms to sit-down and shut-up. Obama huffed and puffed and pouted, which opened the door for Putin to step up and act like he saved the day.

So no -- it's not a matter of Obama's "toughness." It's a matter of the role he's played in bolstering Putin's power and reputation around the world. When it comes to foreign policy, our current President is a complete fool.

THe bottom line is this in a nutshell, doesnt matter if hes weak or takes a stand there isnt a damn thing he can do about russia doing anything, short of starting a war. Which he wont.

The democrats can opine all the want about it.

Ethereal
08-06-2016, 07:45 AM

I agree with most of what you're saying. But I don't agree that Putin "acted" like he saved the day. I think he did save the day when he convinced Assad to relinquish his chemical weapon stockpiles. That arguably defused a potential war in Syria. And the Russian military intervention in Syria basically turned the tide in favor of the Syrian nationalists who were in a battle to the death with AQ and ISIS. Whereas before AQ and ISIS were capturing territory, now they are being surrounded and bombed into submission. It seems like only a matter of time before AQ and ISIS suffer ultimate defeat in Syria, and it's in large part thanks to Russian air power.

Ethereal
08-06-2016, 07:53 AM
But tell me what Obama has done tough to russia ?

I thought I already did. But allow me to clarify with a list.

1. Expanded NATO towards Russia's western border.
2. Toppled a pro-Russian government on Russia's border.
3. Imposed economic sanctions on Russia's economy.
4. Supported a rebellion in Syria that nearly removed Russia's ally from power.
5. Accused Russia of shooting down a civilian airliner even though there was no definitive evidence proving they were actually responsible.
6. Supported Turkey when it shot a Russian fighter jet out of the sky and machined gunned their pilot to death as he parachuted to the ground (a war crime).
7. Compared the popular Russian President to Adolf Hitler, a man the Russian people helped us to defeat.
8. Dumped all over the Olympics in Sochi and tried to keep Russia out of the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
9. Convinced Saudi Arabia to drive down oil prices in order to hurt Russia's main export.

Need I go on?

donttread
08-06-2016, 08:15 AM

Well for one thing he hasn't demanded that school children practice hiding under their wooden desk to "protect them" from the "commire red rats nuclear attacks". He hasn't re-opened the bomb sheltars . He is missing opportunities to condition the young to blindy follow the government even more than they are already so conditioned. He has not maximized the new cold war fear factor yet. He needs to find some wall in Russia that Putin already plans to tear down and say "Mr. Putin tear down that wall!"

FindersKeepers
08-06-2016, 08:21 AM
I agree with most of what you're saying. But I don't agree that Putin "acted" like he saved the day. I think he did save the day when he convinced Assad to relinquish his chemical weapon stockpiles. That arguably defused a potential war in Syria. And the Russian military intervention in Syria basically turned the tide in favor of the Syrian nationalists who were in a battle to the death with AQ and ISIS. Whereas before AQ and ISIS were capturing territory, now they are being surrounded and bombed into submission. It seems like only a matter of time before AQ and ISIS suffer ultimate defeat in Syria, and it's in large part thanks to Russian air power.

That's true, although it was always questionable as to who was using the chemical weapons and they've been appearing again.

Putin wanted Assad in power. Obama wanted him out.

Putin won that round, and ISIS in Syria could, ostensibly, have been beaten back sooner, had we not been funding "freedom-loving rebels" in their fight against Assad. Erdogan's role in the crisis is also questionable.

exotix
08-06-2016, 08:24 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/166kx3q.gif
Busy Busy last night huh?

14 of 20 posts on first page in Happenings started by you .. serious?

Why not nest your posts within your posts??

No need for original thought or anything -- simply C & P your primary messages ..

I hate Obama
I hate the Obama economy
I revere Donald Trump
I don't much like criminal Black folk
I love tea baggers
I love guns even more
Lock Her Up!

See how much easier that'd be? ;-)

hanger4
08-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Democrats fear 'October surprise' as White House ponders hack response.

I don't understand what's to fear ?? What's in the DNC's hacked system info or possibly the Clinton campaign's hacked system to fear ??

Seems as if the DNC/Clinton campaign are admitting to something nefarious.

Mac-7
08-06-2016, 09:01 AM

Obama foreign policy is designed to hurt America

He's the angry black/third world
"Victim" who wants to get even with white America for all the alleged wrongs we have committed

FindersKeepers
08-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Obama foreign policy is designed to hurt America

He's the angry black/third world
"Victim" who wants to get even with white America for all the alleged wrongs we have committed

While I'm not so sure I buy the idea that he wants to punish the US, it's clear that his father's political philosophies have had at least some effect on him and his beliefs.

He states as much in his first book.

However, I think he really thought he'd be seen as a great "uniter." I think he pictured his legacy as a blend between Ghandi and Tiger Woods.

His plans backfired, however, and he's been a racially divisive influence in our nation.

As much as I dislike Hillary -- she's not going to continue down that path. She's going to govern in a manner similar to her husband. Except, Hillary is MUCH more a warmonger than Bill was. The world is ripe for another massive conflict and Hillary wants to be a war president. Bill's tiny Kosovo war will pale in comparison to the war Hillary reigns over.

Just my two cents....