PDA

View Full Version : tPF Plan to ban coffee from N.J. drivers' hands would be strongest in nation

Common
08-06-2016, 08:19 AM
If a top Democrat's plan to ban a wide range of activities (http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2016/08/cops_could_soon_ticket_you_in_nj_for_drinking_a_co ffee_while_driving.html) from the driver's seat of cars on New Jersey roads comes to pass, Garden State motorists would face the most restrictive distracted driving laws in the nation, and the ones with the harshest penalties. New Jersey would be one of only three states to have a law banning drivers from doing such things as drinking coffee, eating, or grooming themselves.
Maine and Utah are the only other states with highly-restrictive distracted driving laws (http://www.distraction.gov/stats-research-laws/state-laws.html). Utah has three laws specifically dealing with distraction, including one for "attending to personal grooming and hygiene" and another for reaching or searching for an item in the vehicle.
Drivers who violate Utah's 2014 law are fined $114, plus a $50 court surcharge and pay an additional surcharge of 35 percent of the fine.
Maine passed a law in 2009 (http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/29-A/title29-Asec2118.html)making it illegal to operate a motor vehicle while distracted. Maine defined distraction as "any activity that is not necessary to operate the vehicle or that impairs the driver's ability to safely operate it."
Violating Maine's law would cost a driver $119 and two motor vehicle demerit points, in addition to the penalty for other traffic infractions the motorist committed.
The proposal by New Jersey Assemblyman John Wisniewski, D-Middlesex, and Nicholas Chiaravalloti, D-Hudson, however, would fine drivers $200 to $400 for the first offense and $400 to $600 for a second offense. A third or subsequent offense could mean a fine of $600 to $800, and up to a 90-day license suspension, as well as motor vehicle points.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2016/08/plan_to_ban_coffee_from_nj_drivers_hands_would_be_ strongest_in_nation.html#incart_river_home

Peter1469
08-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Statists must be disenfranchised. We don't have time to debate all of these new dictates from the hard left.

Serious adults can actually serve and make government work.

Newpublius
08-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Do you really want me driving WITHOUT my coffee in the morning? That's just silly business!

Peter1469
08-06-2016, 08:40 AM
All I can say is to prepare for a collapse. A hard one. These idiots are hell bent on destroying the US, the US$, and our economy.

Crepitus
08-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Statists must be disenfranchised. We don't have time to debate all of these new dictates from the hard left.

Serious adults can actually serve and make government work.
Great!

Ummmm....... Do you know any?

Subdermal
08-06-2016, 09:18 AM
This is just more leftist bureaucratic layering. There already exist laws against distracted driving: if a driver is demonstrating the signs of it, LEOs have the ability to ticket for it.

More Statism, just as Peter identified.

This is exactly like the constant plea for more gun control laws, when most are simply redundant stupidity layered on top of law which already isn't enforced. The goal is to create such a Pandora's Box of impossibly complex law that the State can entangle anyone in any way for any reason.

Peter1469
08-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Great!

Ummmm....... Do you know any?

A shit load.

All of the Sallys that demand the government act on whatever grievance they have. That includes many on what the uneducated consider to be the right.

My method of right and left avoids the confusion.

OGIS
08-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Coffee is a mind altering, addictive drug.

Yes, People Are Right. Caffeine Is Addictive.
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/05/us/yes-people-are-right-caffeine-is-addictive.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ovhbT-Iulc

OGIS
08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
This is just more leftist bureaucratic layering. There already exist laws against distracted driving: if a driver is demonstrating the signs of it, LEOs have the ability to ticket for it.

More Statism, just as Peter identified.

This is exactly like the constant plea for more gun control laws, when most are simply redundant stupidity layered on top of law which already isn't enforced. The goal is to create such a Pandora's Box of impossibly complex law that the State can entangle anyone in any way for any reason.

And yet you support draconian laws against (some) drug use. :roflmao:

More draconian laws that create a "...Pandora's Box of impossibly complex law that the State can entangle anyone in any way for any reason."

If con(artist)servatives didn't get their daily dose of massive hypocrisy they would dry up and blow away.

Crepitus
08-06-2016, 09:36 AM
A shit load.

All of the Sallys that demand the government act on whatever grievance they have. That includes many on what the uneducated consider to be the right.

Those are what you consider "real adults"?

OK then.

Your method of left and right is not representative of the american political system and just confuses most people you try to apply it to.

Subdermal
08-06-2016, 09:41 AM
And yet you support draconian laws against (some) drug use. :roflmao:

I do?

Where?

More draconian laws that create a "...Pandora's Box of impossibly complex law that the State can entangle anyone in any way for any reason."

If con(artist)servatives didn't get their daily dose of massive hypocrisy they would dry up and blow away.

And if idiots such as yourself didn't get their daily self-administered dose of fabricated argument, they wouldn't have argument at all.

Fucking pothead.

donttread
08-06-2016, 09:57 AM
If a top Democrat's plan to ban a wide range of activities (http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2016/08/cops_could_soon_ticket_you_in_nj_for_drinking_a_co ffee_while_driving.html) from the driver's seat of cars on New Jersey roads comes to pass, Garden State motorists would face the most restrictive distracted driving laws in the nation, and the ones with the harshest penalties. New Jersey would be one of only three states to have a law banning drivers from doing such things as drinking coffee, eating, or grooming themselves.
Maine and Utah are the only other states with highly-restrictive distracted driving laws (http://www.distraction.gov/stats-research-laws/state-laws.html). Utah has three laws specifically dealing with distraction, including one for "attending to personal grooming and hygiene" and another for reaching or searching for an item in the vehicle.
Drivers who violate Utah's 2014 law are fined $114, plus a $50 court surcharge and pay an additional surcharge of 35 percent of the fine.
Maine passed a law in 2009 (http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/29-A/title29-Asec2118.html)making it illegal to operate a motor vehicle while distracted. Maine defined distraction as "any activity that is not necessary to operate the vehicle or that impairs the driver's ability to safely operate it."
Violating Maine's law would cost a driver $119 and two motor vehicle demerit points, in addition to the penalty for other traffic infractions the motorist committed.
The proposal by New Jersey Assemblyman John Wisniewski, D-Middlesex, and Nicholas Chiaravalloti, D-Hudson, however, would fine drivers $200 to $400 for the first offense and $400 to $600 for a second offense. A third or subsequent offense could mean a fine of $600 to $800, and up to a 90-day license suspension, as well as motor vehicle points.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2016/08/plan_to_ban_coffee_from_nj_drivers_hands_would_be_ strongest_in_nation.html#incart_river_home

LOL New Jersey wants to make their killer highways safer and they choose to do so by banning drivers from drinking coffee? LMFAO.
What about actually monitoring speed limits or mandating that they give broken down motorist enough room to get out of their car without fear of being run the hell over? Tail gating perhaps?
NOOOO, we'll pass a coffee law! LOL

Standing Wolf
08-06-2016, 10:06 AM

Would you mind briefly reiterating that "method", please?

OGIS
08-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Those are what you consider "real adults"?

OK then.

Your method of left and right is not representative of the american political system and just confuses most people you try to apply it to.

That's why he uses it. Conservative ideology is most easily foisted on the population people are confused.

OGIS
08-06-2016, 10:17 AM
I do?

Where?

Perhaps I am mistaken. OK, just to set me straight, will you publicly state for the record, right now, right here, that you support the legalization of all currently illegal drugs?

Didn't think so.

CaveDog
08-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Has there been a sudden spate of coffee related accidents or is this just preventative tyranny?

Standing Wolf
08-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Has there been a sudden spate of coffee related accidents or is this just preventative tyranny?

Police are not going to be scanning the traffic looking to pull over and ticket drivers with coffee, an electric razor or a breakfast burrito in their hands. Anyone who believes that is just confused or paranoid. Such laws serve two purposes - as a reminder to people that allowing themselves to be distracted from the road is dangerous, and as a financial deterrent to doing those things (which do cause a lot of accidents, don't forget.) Well, really three purposes, I guess - there's a bit more money to be collected, I suppose, if it can be proved that doing one of those things contributed to the accident.

Crepitus
08-06-2016, 10:41 AM
Would you mind briefly reiterating that "method", please?
L= Pete don't like it, scaling back towards R which also = Pete don't like it. Somewhere off to the side of that is a place where he imagines everything will be OK if we can just find it.

Crepitus
08-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Police are not going to be scanning the traffic looking to pull over and ticket drivers with coffee, an electric razor or a breakfast burrito in their hands. Anyone who believes that is just confused or paranoid. Such laws serve two purposes - as a reminder to people that allowing themselves to be distracted from the road is dangerous, and as a financial deterrent to doing those things (which do cause a lot of accidents, don't forget.) Well, really three purposes, I guess - there's a bit more money to be collected, I suppose, if it can be proved that doing one of those things contributed to the accident.
Slightly over half of our membership.

OGIS
08-06-2016, 10:51 AM
L= Pete don't like it, scaling back towards R which also = Pete don't like it. Somewhere off to the side of that is a place where he imagines everything will be OK if we can just find it.

It involves concentrating the useless eaters in special facilities, or camps, if you will.

Crepitus
08-06-2016, 10:55 AM
It involves concentrating the useless eaters in special facilities, or camps, if you will.
Well, at least he'll let them have a cup of coffee on the drive.

Subdermal
08-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Perhaps I am mistaken. OK, just to set me straight, will you publicly state for the record, right now, right here, that you support the legalization of all currently illegal drugs?

Didn't think so.

Uh, you'd be wrong, brainstem.

You'd think that being caught with your appendage in a trap, you'd think twice about extending it again.

Stop A.S.S.U.M.I.N.G.

I am in favor of legalization of all drug use.

I am, however, going to demand the death penalty for those who commit capital crimes under the influence of drugs, and I'm additionally going to demand that any treatment for hopelessly addicted idiots takes place solely with private funding.

Can you live with that? If you cannot, then you're really not about personal responsibility, and your claims are poorly presented.

OGIS
08-06-2016, 12:56 PM

You'd think that being caught with your appendage in a trap, you'd think twice about extending it again.

Stop A.S.S.U.M.I.N.G.

I am, however, going to demand the death penalty for those who commit capital crimes under the influence of drugs, and I'm additionally going to demand that any treatment for hopelessly addicted idiots takes place solely with private funding.

Can you live with that? If you cannot, then you're really not about personal responsibility, and your claims are poorly presented.

Does that include alcohol, coffee, tea, and all prescription opiates and uppers?

Because I know at least a couple of people who get physically and verbally abusive when high on too much caffeine.

Mini Me
08-06-2016, 01:17 PM
All I can say is to prepare for a collapse. A hard one. These idiots are hell bent on destroying the US, the SUD, and our economy.

Oh, c'mon now! You are driven to histrionics and hysteria! You ought to know this isn't true!
Its more RW nut job stuff!

Common
08-06-2016, 01:21 PM

Didn't think so.

No normal person would want that

Common
08-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Oh, c'mon now! You are driven to histrionics and hysteria! You ought to know this isn't true!
Its more RW nut job stuff!

No its not there are more and more reasonable americans believe that.

Mini Me
08-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Pass this law, and they will have to pry that coffee cup from my cold, dead hands!

Jeez! Is nothing sacred?

OGIS
08-06-2016, 01:46 PM

So Sub Dermal is not normal? Because he just stated he wanted to legalize all drugs.

Also: define normal.

OGIS
08-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Pass this law, and they will have to pry that coffee cup from my cold, dead hands!

Jeez! Is nothing sacred?

If you happen to be brown-skinned that may literally be true.

DCB in progress, code 24-42.

Drinking coffee while black.

donttread
08-06-2016, 01:57 PM

It's just control. Think frog in the slowly warming pot

Subdermal
08-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Does that include alcohol, coffee, tea, and all prescription opiates and uppers?

I'm in favor of capital punishment for murder - premeditated - in general. I am also in favor of it in cases of under the influence, including alcohol, prescriptions and other hard drugs.

Because I know at least a couple of people who get physically and verbally abusive when high on too much caffeine.

Are such things capital crimes?

Subdermal
08-06-2016, 02:04 PM

I don't have a problem with it, as I do not believe it stops the behaviour.

I don't care about those. I care about the damage that they do to society. I want to expand the Death Penalty to cover serious crimes committed while under their influence.

There is, I'm sure a sliding scale to which we could agree that would eliminate the problems from society.

Subdermal
08-06-2016, 02:06 PM

Now answer my question.

donttread
08-06-2016, 02:14 PM

Stop A.S.S.U.M.I.N.G.

1) Are you going to inclue alcohol in your death penalty stance?
2) Medicare currently pays for alcohol related treatment, as well as drug addiction treament. I'm not sure how much you understand about addiction, but trust you don't want to limit treatmeny
3) Should Medicaid stop paying for the medical treatment of Type two DM ? CHF? Certinly you must support cutting off public funds to help COPD patients live a longer and better lives? Lung cancer? What about HBP, high cholesterol and obeisity?
All disorders that have a lifestyle componet based upon what you out in your body?

sachem
08-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Not that I necessarily agree with the banners, but banning a distraction is not banning coffee in NJ.

Bo-4
08-06-2016, 03:52 PM
If delayed on the George Washington Bridge for hours due to retribution by corrupt politicians, one NEEDS coffee.

I disapprove of this legislation.

Mister D
08-06-2016, 03:56 PM
I prefer to enjoy my tea without the distraction of driving. I don't understand why anyone would want to drink such while driving an automobile.

Bo-4
08-06-2016, 04:09 PM
I prefer to enjoy my tea without the distraction of driving. I don't understand why anyone would want to drink such while driving an automobile.

Same here D. I get it that some people have long commutes and thus are pressed for time in the morning.

But it takes about 30 seconds with a good machine.

Which is a lot less time (at 1% of the cost) than stopping at Starbucks.

PS: Real men don't drink tea ;-)

Mister D
08-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Same here D. I get it that some people have long commutes and thus are pressed for time in the morning.

But it takes about 30 seconds with a good machine.

Which is a lot less time (at 1% of the cost) than stopping at Starbucks.

PS: Real men don't drink tea ;-)

Most popular beverage in the world, son. :afro:

Anyway, I agree. A lot of my colleagues stop for coffee. Just make it when you get in. Isn't that more enjoyable? Get settled, check your inbox then make a nice cup.

Bo-4
08-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Most popular beverage in the world, son. :afro:

Anyway, I agree. A lot of my colleagues stop for coffee. Just make it when you get in. Isn't that more enjoyable? Get settled, check your inbox then make a nice cup.

True, but personally i need a blast of something IMMEDIATELY in the morning and especially if i have to drive very far.

Use one of these if in a mega-hurry.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41SbVFgbDzL.jpg

Mister D
08-06-2016, 04:33 PM
True, but personally i need a blast of something IMMEDIATELY in the morning and especially if i have to drive very far.

Use one of these if in a mega-hurry.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41SbVFgbDzL.jpg

Ugh. No way. I like a mild and gradual lift. I avoid strongly caffeinated drinks. I'll drink tea all day though. Usually 4 cups: 2 black and 2 green.

Bo-4
08-06-2016, 04:50 PM
Ugh. No way. I like a mild and gradual lift. I avoid strongly caffeinated drinks. I'll drink tea all day though. Usually 4 cups: 2 black and 2 green.

I frequent and get deliveries from an awesome local sushi restaurant run by a Chinese couple.

They brought me this amazing collection of Chinese teas on last return from Chinese New Year .. a trek they make each year.

Just made one -- and it tastes really good!

So I lied, even manly men such as myself drink tea ;-)

Mister D
08-06-2016, 04:52 PM
I frequent and get deliveries from an awesome local sushi restaurant run by a Chinese couple.

They brought me this amazing collection of Chinese teas on last return from Chinese New Year .. a trek they make each year.

Just made one -- and it tastes really good!

So I lied, even manly men such as myself drink tea ;-)

I order almost all of my tea online and it's primarily Chinese. I'm not a big fan of Indian or Japanese teas. The English began growing tea in Africa and I had one from Kenya that I liked but I drink Chinese tea most of the time.

Mister D
08-06-2016, 04:53 PM
NYC's Chinatown is a bus ride away but I'm lazy.

Bo-4
08-06-2016, 05:03 PM
NYC's Chinatown is a bus ride away but I'm lazy.

Lol, yeah my 22 year old daughter drinks tea a lot .. LOVES the China gift.

We have a few Chinese grocers here in Boise ..

Thankfully i won't need to replenish the supply they gifted me for awhile .. it was like 75 packets deep.

I'm lazy too .. ;-)

Mister D
08-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Lol, yeah my 22 year old daughter drinks tea a lot .. LOVES the China gift.

We have a few Chinese grocers here in Boise ..

Thankfully i won't need to replenish the supply they gifted me for awhile .. it was like 75 packets deep.

I'm lazy too .. ;-)

You know what though? It's just not necessary. I can have the same teas delivered to my house. Why bother?

I buy most of mine loose. It's funny you mention Chinese grocers because good luck trying to find a tea infuser in an American supermarket. You have to either go to a Chinese grocer or order one on a site like Amazon.

Mister D
08-06-2016, 05:15 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23832364

Pu-erh tea may help reduce body fat accumulation. I'm not a huge fan of pu-erh (basically, an aged tea) but I strated drinking it after breakfast on the weekend. Those are the only meals I have where the percentage of calories from fat is over 50%

You might like pu-erh, Bo. It has the color and mouth feel of coffee.

Bo-4
08-06-2016, 05:25 PM
You know what though? It's just not necessary. I can have the same teas delivered to my house. Why bother?

I buy most of mine loose. It's funny you mention Chinese grocers because good luck trying to find a tea infuser in an American supermarket. You have to either go to a Chinese grocer or order one on a site like Amazon.

I spend half as much on Amazon each month as i do at Albertsons, Trader Joe's & Costco.

You can get almost anything and i have two credit cards that i use points on to pick up a big chunk of it!

Mister D
08-06-2016, 05:27 PM
I spend half as much on Amazon each month as i do at Albertsons, Trader Joe's & Costco.

You can get almost anything and i have two credit cards that i use points on to pick up a big chunk of it!

lol Yeah, same here. I have an Amazon Visa. I get 3X the points for Amazon purchases.

Standing Wolf
08-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Most popular beverage in the world, son.

Only because the Chinese drink so much of it...and those people eat cats.

Mister D
08-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Only because the Chinese drink so much of it...and those people eat cats.

...as so do the Indians, Russians, Egyptians, Iranians and Indonesians.

Interesting map.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/12/daily-chart-17

Adelaide
08-07-2016, 09:51 AM
I can't really find it in me to care if they ban drinking coffee while driving in New Jersey. Sure, maybe the government shouldn't be regulating to this degree but there are also some really stupid people out there.

Captain Obvious
08-07-2016, 10:10 AM
One of many reasons not to live in Jersey.

I'm surprised to see Maine with one of those bullshit nanny laws, I considered Maine a fairly free state.

Common
08-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Jerseys biggest road distraction and this comes from my son in laws

Cell phones, Cellphones, Cellphones
T

donttread
08-07-2016, 05:01 PM

Maybe we should ban driving with small children in the car unless you also have another adult with you? Trust me constant cries of "are we there yet" or " "She touched me" can be wicked distracting