PDA

View Full Version : Donald Trump sent cease and desist letter from The O'Jays

Cigar
08-08-2016, 02:43 PM
The Donald Trump campaign is on the verge of running out of music options as The O'Jays are the latest artists to request that their music not be used in support of the Republican presidential nominee.

Last week at the Republican National Convention, the lyrics to the band's No. 1 hit "Love Train" were remixed to "Trump Train," without the band's consent. Now another one of the R&B group's songs, "For The Love Of Money," has been used without their permission in a pro-Trump video from Rep. John Mica of Florida.

In response to the latest use of their work, attorneys for the O'Jays' two founding members, Eddie Levert and Walter Williams, have sent a cease and desist letter to the congressman, as well as the Trump campaign courtesy of his campaign manager, Paul Manafort.

"We don't appreciate having our music associated with a campaign that is hurtful to so many with whom we have common ground," said Williams. "We've really had enough of this. I'm living proof that America is already great; I came from nothing and everyday I feel blessed to live in the greatest country on earth. We support those who inspire in a positive way as opposed to bullying and using scare tactics."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/donald-trump-sent-cease-and-desist-letter-from-the-ojays/ar-BBuXWfn

The Trump Train Wreck :laugh:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-atGw52c9ULc/UPzS5mqoCoI/AAAAAAAAAIY/uNF9Yx3cn78/s1600/train-wreck.jpg

MisterVeritis
08-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Cool. No doubt the music was used in accordance with the license agreement.

Cigar
08-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Cool. No doubt the music was used in accordance with the license agreement.

Apparently you didn't read it ... :laugh:

MisterVeritis
08-08-2016, 02:57 PM
Apparently you didn't read it ... :laugh:
There was nothing in the story that said it was not licensed music. Music withheld from the broad license agreements is rare. Publicity stunts like this have no effect.

Safety
08-08-2016, 02:57 PM
I think the title would be better read, "Trump received cease and desist letter from the O'Jays"...

zelmo1234
08-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Then he should not use the song

Bo-4
08-08-2016, 04:53 PM
He doesn't give a crap ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/musicians-who-want-donald-trump-to-stop-playing-their-music-a7151171.html

Wonder how Trumpy would feel if one of his Trump brands was used to sell Hillary Clinton?

Oboe
08-08-2016, 04:56 PM
What about that VHS he didn't rewind back in 1946?

MisterVeritis
08-08-2016, 06:05 PM

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/musicians-who-want-donald-trump-to-stop-playing-their-music-a7151171.html

Wonder how Trumpy would feel if one of his Trump brands was used to sell Hillary Clinton?
Was it licensed appropriately?

Safety
08-08-2016, 06:17 PM
What about that VHS he didn't rewind back in 1946?
Thirty years before it was invented? Is he Biff or something from Back to the Future?

Bethere
08-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Was it licensed appropriately?

Gosh, after the Aerosmith, Neil Young, Queen, Elton John, Adele, rem, Stones, George Harrison, Pavarotti, and twisted sister incidents you'd think that it would occur to someone/anyone at trump international to ask first instead of getting slapped down for unauthorized use of someone else's intellectual property.

It's that kind of lack of attention to detail that guarantees the doom of trump and his geriatric party.

Cletus
08-08-2016, 08:28 PM
If the music is licensed through a performing rights organization (like ASCAP), and the use fees are paid, the performer really has very little say in who uses it.

Subdermal
08-08-2016, 08:38 PM

He probably would have the integrity to STFU if he sold broad licensing rights to the use of his brands, and it was actually used.

Derp.

Subdermal
08-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Gosh, after the Aerosmith, Neil Young, Queen, Elton John, Adele, rem, Stones, George Harrison, Pavarotti, and twisted sister incidents you'd think that it would occur to someone/anyone at trump international to ask first instead of getting slapped down for unauthorized use of someone else's intellectual property.

It's that kind of lack of attention to detail that guarantees the doom of trump and his geriatric party.

Unauthorized?

Where did you learn this? Provide a link please.

Crepitus
08-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Thirty years before it was invented? Is he Biff or something from Back to the Future?
Maaaaaaaaybe LOL

Bethere
08-08-2016, 09:23 PM
If the music is licensed through a performing rights organization (like ASCAP), and the use fees are paid, the performer really has very little say in who uses it.

Why would you use music that you know will result in that performer objecting before the sun comes up the next morning?

Cletus
08-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Why would you care what the performer thinks if the music suits your needs? If he wanted to control who uses it, he should keep the rights to himself.

Of course, he would probably make about 1% of what he would get going through ASCAP or one of the other organizations, but that shouldn't matter, right?

Bethere
08-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Why would you care what the performer thinks if the music suits your needs? If he wanted to control who uses it, he should keep the rights to himself.

Of course, he would probably make about 1% of what he would get going through ASCAP or one of the other organizations, but that shouldn't matter, right?

You don't have to explain ascap to me as I am a member.

I didn't ask about the legality. I simply note how stupid it is empower the artist to complain in the press about guilt by association.

And I also chortle about the almost total lack of quality Republican recording artists who would be willing to assist the bald guy.

Cletus
08-08-2016, 09:59 PM
I didn't ask about the legality. I simply note how stupid it is empower the artist to complain in the press about guilt by association.

If he licensed the music, there is no guilt.

And I also chortle about the almost total lack of quality Republican recording artists who would be willing to assist the bald guy.

Why do you assume that to be the case?

Bethere
08-08-2016, 10:12 PM
If he licensed the music, there is no guilt.
Why do you assume that to be the case?

I know you don't get it. Neither does trump. Of course, neither of you is an artist. There is no way for you to understand.

That dooms his campaign to bad press every single morning after using a liberal's music in a vain attempt to look cool.

I'm ok with that.

Did stealing Michelle Obama's speech make mrs. T look cool?

As for your last point? Start a list of artists who were thrilled with trump using their intellectual property. Start another list of quality recording artists who admit to being republicans.

I'll give you a couple of clues: only 6 members of this forum will step up and admit to being a Republican. Some will flat out cry if you call them one.

The same is true in the music industry. You have rush, ted Nugent, and metalicca.

Did I forget anyone?

Cletus
08-08-2016, 10:24 PM
I know you don't get it. Neither does trump. Of course, neither of you is an artist. There is no way for you to understand.

Oh, I understand... probably much better than you do.

Very few people care a rat's ass about whether some musician likes Trump or wants him to use his music. Most want nothing more than for them to just shut up and play.